BlackSix

Ice Ring Scripted Campaign Now Available for Pre-Order! - Discussion

Dear Friends,

Today we'd like to present you the final part of the Stalingrad trilogy, the ending of the story that started in "Blazing Steppe" and continued in "Fortress on the Volga" campaigns. The new campaign will tell you about the combat operations of the Soviet IL-2 attack planes in December 1942. The development of the third part took much longer than we initially expected, partly because of the need to research a huge amount of data from the archives telling about the actions of the three Soviet Fronts and Air Armies, but the result will prove itself worthy of the effort spent.

We are proud to announce the Pre-Order of the new historical Campaign "Ice Ring" for IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad.

product_campaign_icering_en.jpg.94d8f7b33a62cc73cd12a9cb53c5bd07.jpg

Basing on the combat order records and operational reports of the Soviet 8th Air Army, we have managed to recreate an absolutely unique history of combat operations of the 226th Ground-Attack Air Division regiments. The campaign consists of three large stages, during which you'll operate from 4 different airfields and take part in the most dramatic events of the final part of the Battle of Stalingrad.

The successful counter-offensive of the Red Army in November 1942 led to the encirclement of the 284 thousands troops including the German 6th Army and 4th Tank Army, as well as Romanian divisions. Then the task of supplying the troops was assigned to the transport and bomber units of the Luftwaffe, so the first part of the new campaign is dedicated to the very beginning of the Soviet air blockade formation.

At the end of November, the command of the Soviet 8th Air Army issued an order to relocate the 235th Fighter Air Division to the south of the city. It was also decided to form a special air group of IL-2's pilots from the 226th ShAD who were experienced in dogfights and flying in difficult weather conditions and place it under the 235th IAD headquarters command. During this period, you'll fly reconnaissance flights, search and destroy German transport aircraft in the air and strike at their take-off and landing airfields inside the cauldron.

01-01.thumb.jpg.4ada4fd6fe7fff1350df2e170b95ac42.jpg 01-02.thumb.jpg.ca2610e5cb1ce058bd9880271ddd2881.jpg

The situation of the encircled enemy group on December 2-6, 1942 from the reporting map of the Don Front and the situation at the morning of December 2nd from the campaign map.

In mid-December, when the special air group was disbanded, you'll return back to your regiment. Against the background of the ongoing reorganization in the division and the beginning of the enemy offensive from the direction of Kotelnikovo (Operation "Winter Storm"), you'll have to fly several combat missions directly against the surrounded German troops.

At the end of the campaign, when the situation on the southern flank of the Stalingrad Front becomes critical, you'll be sent to the most threatened sector. As part of a hurriedly formed ground attack air group, you'll take part in the heaviest battles on the Myshkova River, which determined the outcome of the entire German counter-offensive and sealed the fate of the troops surrounded in and near the devastated city.

02-01.thumb.jpg.564a119c3aa4e654f0b3c9d018a8033d.jpg 02-02.thumb.jpg.16c34f095054ba6ac486e0d4bf6e039b.jpg

Events on the Myshkova River from December 22 to 26, 1942 from the reporting map of the Stalingrad Front and the situation in the middle of December 22nd from the campaign map.

You'll fly 15 combat missions on the IL-2 AM-38 (model 1942), about 7 hours of gameplay in total.

The new campaign is scheduled to be released in Summer 2020.

03-01.thumb.jpg.cef96d9a38584a23633078e85073e54a.jpg 03-02.thumb.jpg.95618834f96d5f1d2c84dfa040eff466.jpg 03-03.thumb.jpg.e4aecbddbaa7c6ea3860182958c2d97b.jpg 

03-04.thumb.jpg.7107230c0a34edca2ba7fcfb04ef7ab8.jpg 03-05.thumb.jpg.39aeef15a1f514a0dc0f07f9fd1f691d.jpg 03-06.thumb.jpg.45ab78df7b784fcaf5c9bb51dc87533c.jpg

03-07.thumb.jpg.7ed958b30272471c8043d5e97d3b73a6.jpg 03-08.thumb.jpg.f7690e61b29387d0ead9f348b13928db.jpg 03-09.thumb.jpg.0b8ee9d4c7587da71321819ca145c97a.jpg

03-10.thumb.jpg.220c204a0eabc0264d886ecde6c5bdb1.jpg 03-11.thumb.jpg.21581d4ce5e825cf702f6c2128fea3e5.jpg 03-12.thumb.jpg.382e8d31f189c7fcd5abf3736d143a69.jpg

The IL-2 Sturmovik Team

• Like 15
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 8

Great news! Pre-order done. Love the scripted campaigns, both community made and commercial! Keep up the excellent work 🙂

• Thanks 1

I need an MW50 mod for my wallet.

• Haha 1

Fantastic! Can´t get enough of your eastfront stuff. Preorder is in.

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot and congratulations for your outstanding work, once again!!!

• Thanks 1

Great, pre-ordered right away. 😄  Even if I'm not quite as excited about Il-2, it's definitely worth a look.

• Thanks 1

While it's cool, i am a bit disapointed tho. Another allied content, i think it's 5th allied campaign vs 2 axis. Just like with premium planes, 4 allied in a row.  I wish it was more balanced.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Woot! Purchased! Can't wait

• Thanks 1

This is great!  Static campaigns are the main reason I play IL-2 these days.  🤩

• Thanks 1

I'm in! Thankyou so much - really looking forward to this. Cheers.

• Thanks 1

Ordered! Big thanks guys can’t wait!!

• Thanks 1

“In!” ..... n money well spent!! Cheers.

• Thanks 1

You guys should duel! See who goes down in flames. Better than a flame war eh?

As for me - I'm pretty attracted by this campaign actually:

Is it possible for users to break the scripted campaigns down into individual missions? Or are they compiled in such a way we can't access them like that? I'd kindof like to be able to play some of these campaigns as single mission packs :) - even if it is less immersive, I want to be able to replay missions I like most. Also, is it possible for the user to modify the missions so that they start nearer the target area (to allow replaying them a lot without having to fly to the target every time)? I suppose that would mess up timers, but it might also go against the EULA or be impossible because the missions are compiled?

This will make a fine addition to my collection. 👀

Half serious question; it's not mentioned, but y'all got any plans for a special pre-order skin for this one?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the pre-order guys)

3 hours ago, InProgress said:

While it's cool, i am a bit disapointed tho. Another allied content, i think it's 5th allied campaign vs 2 axis. Just like with premium planes, 4 allied in a row.  I wish it was more balanced.

I plan that my next commercial campaign will be dedicated to the Luftwaffe in the spring of 1943 in the Kuban

39 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

Is it possible for users to break the scripted campaigns down into individual missions? Or are they compiled in such a way we can't access them like that? I'd kindof like to be able to play some of these campaigns as single mission packs :) - even if it is less immersive, I want to be able to replay missions I like most. Also, is it possible for the user to modify the missions so that they start nearer the target area (to allow replaying them a lot without having to fly to the target every time)? I suppose that would mess up timers, but it might also go against the EULA or be impossible because the missions are compiled?

Users can't access the files of the official campaigns and somehow change them. But after completing the campaign, you can replay any missions in any order.

3 minutes ago, [CPT]milopugdog said:

Half serious question; it's not mentioned, but y'all got any plans for a special pre-order skin for this one?

Unfortunately, I've no plans. I stopped working on skins since I finished working on the IL-2 1946 10 years ago and since then it has been a big problem for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Purchased.

• Thanks 1

Preordered. A no brainer for me after 3 sessions with sea dragons. 
IL 2’s shine in single player. It shows survive-ability but yet long limps back to base. Cannot wait for this

• Thanks 1

Also a bit disappointed have enough of the east front am looking for west front including aircraft but despite will order it

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've pre-ordered.  The original IL-2 has always been my favorite plane.  Hope there'll be some airfield strike missions against Pitomnik and Gumrak with plenty of Ju-52's and other transports on the ground or about to land/takeoff!

• Thanks 1

Awesomeness, will be grabbing it shortly.

• Thanks 1

Eastern front is a massive box of history. It is almost not possible to be empty of historical battles from that theatre. 
To me that is important, to relate to history. And tragic if one think of it

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, hendrikvanderven said:

Also a bit disappointed have enough of the east front am looking for west front including aircraft but despite will order it

Don't worry about the Western Front, I'm already doing something interesting for BoBP. Also, @Gambit21 is due to finish the official P-47 campaign soon.

7 hours ago, No105_Swoose said:

I've pre-ordered.  The original IL-2 has always been my favorite plane.  Hope there'll be some airfield strike missions against Pitomnik and Gumrak with plenty of Ju-52's and other transports on the ground or about to land/takeoff!

Thanks. Your main targets will be Pitomnik and Voroponovo airfields. Next to Gumrak was the headquarters of the 6th Army and the prisoner of war camp, this airfield began to be used near the end of the battle. The remaining airfields were targets for aircraft of the 16th Air Army.

3 hours ago, J28w-Broccoli said:

Will Ten Days of Autumn and Fortress on the Volga become part of a trilogy someday?

Yes, I'd like to create next part of this history for the BOK, BoN or BOBP. Or do it for each game in turn))

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've moved discussion about Allied and Axis campaign balance at this thread

• Like 1

Pre-ordered as soon as I saw it.

@BlackSix, now you got me hoping for some colder weather this summer...😀

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Pre-ordered

Only costs about 2 pints of beer and the Pubs are shut anyway

• Thanks 1

Looks absolutely fantastic. Bought it :)

I'm now going to have to find out how that bombsight on the IL2 functions. Requiem's video library here I come...

• Thanks 1

Straight in the basket! Many thanks.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Atomic_Spaniel said:

Looks absolutely fantastic. Bought it :)

I'm now going to have to find out how that bombsight on the IL2 functions. Requiem's video library here I come...

That bomb sight video is for the VV-1 bombsight on the IL2 1943 version I think... 

In the new campaign we will be flying the 42 version IL2 with a different sight.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Preordered. A no brainer for me

This.

That being said, preordered, of course :cool:

:drinks:

Mike

• Thanks 1