SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Pimax 8KX started mass prod, information on availability (EU/US)

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

the Pimax 8KX has started mass production on May 25th. This is the no-compromises headset (and I hope the software holds up to that promise) with wide FOV to check your six, be fully immersed, and a combination of resolution and lens that has no equal (the Reverb G2 may be it in resolution and comfort, but lens size and FOV is this thing). 

An often asked question was whether this would come to other retailers has been answered: Bad News, it won't.

Quote: 

image.thumb.png.efc1a6d108c782fcb7853a39c66ff5b8.png

However: Pimax so far has honored their 1-year warranty, even for second-hand devices, even for RMAs after more than six months (Europeans hear up, no post-6-months evidence juggling). I'm currently looking at asking them for 24-months extended warranty to purchase, there may be some monetization potential in that for them, while at the same time buying security for single cases for the user.

There is also some information on the new distortion profile pushed this week:

image.png.b09cb6e49db11d1074fba10bbd47a57c.png 

This is of real importance for IL-2 as well. The higher the differentiation, the stronger objects "pop out" in 3D as well - spotting contacts over forests, within clouds, even the cockpit bars and raindrops, virtually everything.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Too expensive investment for me and I don't trust PiMax as a company, I have seen their subreddit and it's a mess.

Just now, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Too expensive investment for me and I don't trust PiMax as a company, I have seen their subreddit and it's a mess.

The problem is exactly that, I dont trust the company, I ordered the Pimax and after waiting 6 months , they did responded my e mails when I wanted to cancel the order , and instead sent my order which was not complete, I had to open a Paypal dispute to return the headset and get my money back.

$1,299 plus is too  much money to trust them.

Hi gents.

I´m a 8Kx Backer. (800,00€ + -) 

Don´t know if its safe to trust in a startup company.

But till now, no complains as I have a  5K+ Loan that is great while waiting.

Saludos.

15(Span.)/JG51 Costa.

Posted (edited)

Reverb is better for me and I can live with his FOV. Pimax gives many markeing promises and nothing more.

I had Pimax 5K+ and it was short adventure for me :lol:. Also some of problems in others sims with Pimax drivers (for example for Prepar 3D v5 till now no any kind of support).

Edited by YoYo

It takes a long time to get it, at least when I ordered mine it was a good eight months before I saw it.  Having said that, there is no headset currently on the market that can match the fov of the Pimax 5k and up headsets.  I have a 5k and with each release of firmware and software it gets better.  When my headset was released it was advertised as having a 90hz refresh rate.  With a firmware update it went to 120 Hz.  With another firmware update it went to 144hz.  So now I can choose between 72, 90, 120 and 144 hz, in small (125) med(150 degrees) or large (170).  They have designed ad on modules for eye tracking, hand tracking, and they are working on scent!.  The ONLY bad thing about the Pimax is it's headstrap and face cushion (both are being retooled).  The screens are not the best for colour but you can adjust brightness and contrast to alter colours for better reproduction.  The fov even on small is larger than most (if not all) other headsets.  Finally the resolution on the lowest model of Pimax is superior to the highest offerings from other companies.  Yes it takes them forever to get much done as demand is crazy, but I really don't think there is a better product out there (yet).  S!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I keep looking at these and wondering if I should by one. I've heard reviews state that when at the widest FOV it feels like the world is zoomed in to compensate, is this correct? I really wan't an 8KX but I'm worried about all the problems I've heard.

21 minutes ago, VR-DriftaholiC said:

I keep looking at these and wondering if I should by one. I've heard reviews state that when at the widest FOV it feels like the world is zoomed in to compensate, is this correct? I really wan't an 8KX but I'm worried about all the problems I've heard.

No, it's not correct. There are quite a few Pimax haters out there, that'll just spread false information. There were problems in the beginning in late 2018 and early half of 2019, which led to the current situation of bad reputation. I've also had to RMA my 5K+. Instead of a repaired one, I received a brandnew serial number version of the 5K+. But I also had to RMA two Oculus Rift CV1s, and my Reverb v1 was dead on arrival (screen off). So it's kind of nothing extraordinaire to me.

The FOV on large is 200° diagonal. All other headset manufacturers state their FOV in diagonals as well (e.g. Index at 135°, Reverb 114°, etc). To state only horizontale FOV, and later even a deduction of it, comes from the same corner. Most of these guys with negative comments have stopped spreading, except for one guy who had RMA'd 6 Pimax headsets in a row after cracking their cases, even with new serial numbers. I know no company that would exchange a headset 6 times for someone, I am certain he just abused the headset repeatedly. Never had any cracks. The 5K+ (SN204) was the best headset I've ever used. I had compared it with Rift CV1, VivePro, Rift S, Samsung Odyssey OG, Index, Cosmos Elite, and HP Reverb. For the HTCs I (unfortunately) hadn't tried the lens mods yet.

I will report in detail about the 8KX in the context of IL-2 once I have received it. I am very critical of the clarity in the lenses, comfort and audio, and if these don't match the ultrawide 4K panels, I'll be looking at the Reverb G2 too.

• Upvote 1

So you can play IL-2 in max FOV with no problems? How is the vertical FOV compared to the Reverb? I imagine it's worse then my Index but the horizontal FOV upgrade would be an improvement. Have they estimated any time frame that the headsets will start shipping?

On 5/30/2020 at 2:09 PM, Mephisto said:

So what system would you need to run IL-2 on this one? 

Same system you are running a Pimax 5K or 8K on.

SweViver and Kevin have said that due to the native resolution there is less of a need to blow through resolution limitations to get a good image with Super Sampling.

Delivery - who knows - patience is key but hopefully before the end of Summer.

I use Large FOV on my Pimax 8K - still have to crane the neck to check 6 but I can not imagine what narrow FOV headset users would have to endure.  I run it 3068 x 1988 per eye res with Il2 on Ultra relatively well.

27 minutes ago, blitze said:

Same system you are running a Pimax 5K or 8K on.

SweViver and Kevin have said that due to the native resolution there is less of a need to blow through resolution limitations to get a good image with Super Sampling.

Delivery - who knows - patience is key but hopefully before the end of Summer.

I use Large FOV on my Pimax 8K - still have to crane the neck to check 6 but I can not imagine what narrow FOV headset users would have to endure.  I run it 3068 x 1988 per eye res with Il2 on Ultra relatively well.

Swivel chair and move your ass in order to turn. Also It depends a lot on the position inside the cockpit, you have to be in the middle.

28 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Swivel chair and move your ass in order to turn. Also It depends a lot on the position inside the cockpit, you have to be in the middle.

LOL - yes but harder to do when your feet are planted on Rudder Pedals.

Just did some testing and at least on the 8K with PiTool 1.0.1.260 Beta - I wouldn't go below PiTool Render 1 with SteamVR at 100%

That and no AA

Seems though there is no image difference between 64Hz and 80Hz refresh rates.  Looks like Pimax has that dialed in nicely.  It is more the render target  that will determine "POP" of contrast and Colours but this is only my experience with the 8K.  Hope 5K would be similar.

Can't wait for the 8KX.👍

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, VR-DriftaholiC said:

So you can play IL-2 in max FOV with no problems? How is the vertical FOV compared to the Reverb? I imagine it's worse then my Index but the horizontal FOV upgrade would be an improvement. Have they estimated any time frame that the headsets will start shipping?

Same than Index' vertical FOV, but as the sweetspot was ranging further vertically in the Pimax you have more effective FOV.

Doesn't mean you should sell your Index for a 5K+ or 8K now though, it's a perfectly fine device too, and plug'n'play is awesome too for the average user. No need to switch within this soon-ending generation 1.5 anymore. Wait for generation 2 in Fall/XMas to switch, when Reverb G2 / Pimax8KX get enough availability.

Gen2 will be vastly superior in what it can do graphics wise. Those who tested the Reverb have gotten a sneakpeek regarding graphical prowess (the headset has other issues though). The biggest question is only: Is the Pimax software up to the task at the release of the 8KX? Currently it's a construction site! How do the lenses work with 4K screens? Will they have proper distortion profiles, like they have for the 5K+ SN204 now? If that takes a month or so I'll probably burst into flames, given that price 

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Thanks 1

I bought the Pimax 5K+ (been over a year and never received my paid for controllers or lighthouse units) and have been 

well satisfied with its performance.   Use it daily with IL2 and DCS; no problems with IL2 clarity at all but the Digital Display in the DCS F18C Hornet

could be sharper as must use VR zoom to read the sidebars and see distant targets.

Will most probably buy the 8kx when Nvidea puts out the 3080Ti and Intel issues the next gen CPU, that is unless the Reverb Gen 2

is really spectacular in performance, FOV and clarity.

9 minutes ago, fiddlinjim said:

I bought the Pimax 5K+ (been over a year and never received my paid for controllers or lighthouse units) and have been 

well satisfied with its performance.   Use it daily with IL2 and DCS; no problems with IL2 clarity at all but the Digital Display in the DCS F18C Hornet

could be sharper as must use VR zoom to read the sidebars and see distant targets.

Will most probably buy the 8kx when Nvidea puts out the 3080Ti and Intel issues the next gen CPU, that is unless the Reverb Gen 2

is really spectacular in performance, FOV and clarity.

But then you never received products you paid for?

You didn't receive your units? Have you opened a support ticket? They have already sent out the units in march iirc, and said publicly there are 20 people where there is an issue with address information, people that aren't responding to their E-Mails. Maybe you're one of these 20?

Never received an email about problems with my shipment or address, but will send in a support ticket.

Oddly they sent my HMD to same address as I've always had.

Lol.  So yes ,one of the 20 or so they were unable to contact for whatever reason.  Seems like we found one!

On 6/1/2020 at 2:04 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You didn't receive your units? Have you opened a support ticket? They have already sent out the units in march iirc, and said publicly there are 20 people where there is an issue with address information, people that aren't responding to their E-Mails. Maybe you're one of these 20?

I started a refund request ticket with PIMAX for the paid for $300 lighthouse and controllers and received a full PAYPAL refund 5 days later.

I am one user who finds no faults with Pimax, they have been great with all my issues.

Looking forward to the 8KX later this year.