Plastic Modelers in the IL-2 Community

9 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

...to accept failing at what you are doing and happily try again. I try to get them there. In the end

I do (or at least did before the whole covid thing)  a lot of demonstration work and teaching at model making exhibitions and conventions and in many respects the above is an ideal I try to instill in all model makers regardless of age and skill.

Regardless of the level you work at there will always be people better than yourself and those worse, the only competition is with yourself. The only way to get better is to push yourself with challenges that you risk failing at, but to not get disheartened if that happens as you learn most from the biggest failures. 

The "hardest" part about working professionally is that you have to guarantee a client success within their budget and deadline and so you  are always having to work within your own capabilities, this is the very reason an amateur should  eventually be able to outperform a professional, an amateur can afford to take risks and try again and again until they get where they want to be.

keep up the good work with kids

HH

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, STN said:

...my spider sense is tingling

lram05.JPG

This design seems to be a classic case of "just because you can do something, it doesn't mean yo should..."

On 1/5/2021 at 11:54 PM, 40plus said:

When does the circus tent go on?

"Flying circus" would get a new meaning, wouldn´t it? :)
Anyway, it would fit... and I am the circus clown- I am so used to build taildraggers, that I straight forgot to add wieght to the nose... so now I have buildt an ass-sitter.

On 1/5/2021 at 11:57 PM, Feathered_IV said:

Looking good.  I don't know if it qualifies as a two seater or a three seater.  :happy:

Three seater- definitely. 

I am hesitating whether to put on  a final flat varnish coat, since currently it is a bit glossy. It looks nice, but the original surface was canvas.

That looks fantastic.  For a brief moment there I thought it was going to be a Spitfire!

Was able to add the undercarriage at last and test fitted the wheels. The inside faces need a wash of something before I stick them on permanently.
The decals for the one in the foreground were home printed.  After applying them I discovered a hidden setting on my printer that gets rid of the aliasing around the fuselage emblem... Too late for this one though. Ho hum. I'll just have to live with it.   : (

61C3B0D9-5B51-4738-8307-03E164A6A10E.thumb.jpeg.488a7c095884590b525335a1db4bc046.jpeg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1
11 minutes ago, Spectre_Wolf said:

Thanks! The Eduard ones were excellent. No big problems for me. Did use masks for the camouflage which are very helpful.

Is it okay to post some older builds?

You can post any as far as I'm concerned :)

• Upvote 1

Hello gentlemen,

The flying toilet seat is finished. For those who did not research yet:

Lee- Richards Annular Monoplane No.3

1:72 Avis

lram07.JPG

lram08.JPG

lram09.JPG

lram10.JPG

lram11.JPG

lram12.JPG

lram13.JPG

lram14.JPG

lram15.JPG

lram16.JPG

• Like 10
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, STN said:

Hello gentlemen,

It's beautiful, really well done!

@AKA_Big10 I am wanting to build a 1/32 Spitfire MkXIV and want a bare metal finish to represent a MkXIX (the one in my signature).

Please tell me how you got that excellent almost reflective finish on your P-51D's? Way back on page 45 of this thread I believe.

Thanks

Algy-Lacey

19 minutes ago, STN said:

Hello gentlemen,

Fabulous work as always. I'm curious to look further into this oddity and figure out what aerodynamic problem they were trying to over come with this design.

• Upvote 1

Well, since we are not flying planes of this shape, I believe it was not a breakthrough :)
Pity that no one produces a kit of the Annular bi-plane. A true monstrosity...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello my friends,

Nice to see this thread, hope to contribute with the forum, since I love model making...

this is some of my last builds...

Eduard P-51D5 Mustang 1/48

Tamiya F4U1 Birdcage 1/48

DSC_3719.JPG

DSC_4418.JPG

Edited by ViniPompeo
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
On 1/8/2021 at 4:19 AM, Spectre_Wolf said:

Thanks! The Eduard ones were excellent. No big problems for me. Did use masks for the camouflage which are very helpful.

Is it okay to post some older builds?

Welcome Spectre.

Post away,The more the merrier.

Very nice indeed.

Welcome Vini.

Nice builds

21 hours ago, Algy-Lacey said:

@AKA_Big10 I am wanting to build a 1/32 Spitfire MkXIV and want a bare metal finish to represent a MkXIX (the one in my signature).

Please tell me how you got that excellent almost reflective finish on your P-51D's? Way back on page 45 of this thread I believe.

Thanks

Algy-Lacey

My own choice would be Alclad Chrome and a little weathering.

I know sone peoples prefur to use foil too but that won,t be as shiny on the fabric control surfaces.

If The XIX has them ofcourse?

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Spectre_Wolf said:

@ViniPompeo Thank you for your answer. I haven't used oils much, only for pinwashes. Did experiment with it but I don't "get them" yet in terms of application.

@Spectre_Wolf I will place some Step by Step here if its interesting for the team... ;)

Tamiya Spitfire I 1/48 scale, built in 2019. Awesome model kit. One of the best that I ever build.

DSC_0821-2.thumb.jpg.a5024de39bb78976ea1cdbb2d3d2b6e6.jpg Tamiya Spitfire I built in 2019, one of the best kits that I ever built...

13 hours ago, STN said:

Time for something more conventional.

qb00.JPG

Nice choice my friend...

Edited by ViniPompeo
  • Like 1

Thanks. Not sure about the float struts though. They seem to have incorrect shape. The beams are o- shaped in the cut, whereas from the photos of the real plane it seems like there should be 0- shaped.

Also, the post managed to deliver the 2 strut assemblies broken in 5 pieces. I glued them together best I could, but they are still crooked. I will have to see whether I can salvage some parts from my leftovers box and create new ones.

1 hour ago, Birdman said:

Started on the Christmas present, the 1/48th Tamiya F4AU-1a :

IMG_20210110_105246.thumb.jpg.0fa3e995a6e50ac41713aac49d3e874a.jpg

Currently trying to add more color variations using oil paints over the acrylic

nice start...

Edited by ViniPompeo
On 1/10/2021 at 7:05 AM, ViniPompeo said:

@Spectre_Wolf I did use the AMMO by Mig OilBrushers and Airfield Dust pigment.... I apply the fading technique for oils and dry application for pigments...

DSC_3347.JPG

Nice!  I bought some of these recently too and have been using them on the two Pfalz models that I've been doing.  They feel a tiny bit grainy for 1/144, but having ready mix colours like this is incredibly handy.  I just ordered their metallic ones too and it will be interesting to see how they perform. 

Two next models to make with the kids:

1.jpg.fb5292335560c3435fcd9347f588081e.jpg

The Revell Fw-190F8 and the P-51D, both being 1/72 kits. Although iPad et.al. offer stiff competition in structuring leisure time, they were rather keen in doing another model. Again, one each. I bought these along with the P-47M and the Ju-52 in Ju-Air markings, both being also 1/72 kits.

Whashing and preparing the whole frames with the parts, I remembered that I did exactly this Mustang when I was about 10 years old. I remember this odd mould. The Fw190 is a new mould and FAR more detailed. But this "P-51D" struck me as being weird back then and it is even more weird now, especially since most kits have caught up to what Tamiya was in 1985.

This Mustang kit is odd, as it has the elevator as a single part that is tucked through both sides of the fuselage. It also features a function besides the turning prop: a retractable tailwheel. It's just a bummer when the fairing doors are either glued open or shut. 🤦‍♂️But the wheel and the oleo leg are one part that are just inserted in a hole on either side inside the fuselage and are supposed to pivot around that. Idiotic.

But what is worse, this mould is like if the designer never saw a Mustang in his life before and created the mould free hand by just having one newspaper photo as reference. It is not just that the panel lines don't really match the panels on the actual aircraft. or that it contains rivets like it was a hedgehog. A plane known for its perfect finish and flush riveting. In this video, you can see the whole misery. (I also figured that the kids should do better than shown in that video.) The problem is that the whole airframe is out of proportions. You can see on the parts that for instance the cooler is way too small and doesn't have a real intake. The plane is like as if it hadn't been fed for a year and gotten too slim. The upside is, it still has a pilot for the cockpit. Omitting that is a cardinal sin for any manufacturer who wants to have kids adapting this hobby and spend way too much later on. It might not be so important that among the profilic model makers where pilots figures are not important, as they care for the object itself. But not having a pilot at all is about the worst sin you can make when producing a kit. "Where's the pilot?" is about the first question asked when they open a kit.

Anyway, I figured we'd make most out of what we have and had the them practise a bit with the airbrush. I wanted to try the "hairspray method" on that paint victim of a Mustang. (If your hair raised when reading this, you know what happened.)

Fast drying acrylic paint is a bit of a challenge to add. I had the older one practise on the 190. I figured tracing structure was suitable. He did ok. Still, I removed the needle cap to constantly get rid of the clogs. They are a pain and inevitable if you are not very careful using such paints. And I can't blame an 8 year old for it.

Getting the aluminum primer color on the Mustang was easier. Just fire away. A 5 year old can do it. And got me another nice clog.

2.jpg.6ae73756507676b960ffd2a83f502b11.jpg

"Where's the pilot??" In Kindergarden, they learned how to mix violet. But we need khaki. And there's a limited amount of time with fast drying colors so I ghad to have him stop before adding white and another touch of yellow. That color is still some of the more authentic things on that aircraft. Look at the landing gear doors. They also suggest you have the wheel covers doors open while the flaps are up. Argh.

Painting the 190s innards is much easier. And it has decals for about every panel. The older had no problems in painting (it's mostly black) and the smaller of the cockpit decals I did myself.

3.jpg.22403cd236f5d27615a2c7dd1c9f5b89.jpg

Putting the fuselge together was childs play on the 190. He meant well with the tape. On the Mustang, I had to do it, as this step places the cockpit, the propeller axle, the funny tail wheel and the elevator and then matches both fuselage halves.

4.jpg.c832a498830d0d91a5ec7c2d02dfe924.jpg

Next the wings. I am not particularly fond of Revell's way to include the pitot tube and gun barrels on the large wing parts of the 190. These parts have a very endangered life while the thing is handled while building and painting.

These parts have large gaps in the Mustang. This is especially bad on the lower side and the gaps are such that you can look through the model. Putty and sanding... The Revell putty dries way too fast and is not really practical to handle.

Then I had the great idea of using hairspray on the Mustang before applying aluminum color. I wanted to practise some weathering on panel lines line magazines etc., movable parts. With my enthusiasm, I didn't check for the presence of meaningful panel markings before using the spray. There aren't. Oh well. Aluminum color then.

5.jpg.f8243d7b5b9ed503114fa3bbc9c3d306.jpg

Masking is about the only thing kids cannot do. You can get away with about everything, but a straight line is a straight line. You have those, you are good, no matter what. You don't have those, you're lost. Proper useage of the paintbrush is an art and practise starts at some point.

When applying the decals, the whole misery of having added hairspray almost everywhere came to light. Where water touched, the silver paint would shrivel and come off. I must admit, the pattern it made by itself was great, but I wasn't opting for having it uncontrolled manner everywhere. But I managed and had to retouch some of the paint myself.

In the end what did we get?

6.jpg.236fa784ecb6592e869669bb4c2c327f.jpg

I finalized the plane with Humbrols satin cote. As it is enamel based, I won't have the kids do it. 50/50 diluted and applied with a broad brush, that's a quick job. I find the satin cote gives the best look for 1/72 scale for the least effort, better then the gloss cote I used before. Comparing with a ready built (I though it was a dye cast when my wife bought them for the kids and now it consists mostly of epoxy due to lots of airtime), one can see that the Revell kit is by no means a scale model but a rather free interpretation of a Mustang. The ready built one certainly not perfect, it features a drainage system instead of panels on the wings. It has a landing gear that actually resembles a Mustang.

7.jpg.3eee57b0812b1a84ec27226990fd5e42.jpg

There is no real carb intake on the Revell Mustang, also the water cooler (that is kind of shrunk in size) has no exhaust flap. Lacking a proper intake, little is lost. There's very little detail on that Mustang besides arbitarily placed hedgehog rivets.

Next is painting the Fw190. Won't be easy doing the camouflage but at least it is on a good model.

• Like 3

Once again, thumbs up for getting the kids involved. Hope they will want to continue.
The Revell Mustang is a legendary miscreation, know by many a modeller :) I think the mould is somewhere from the sixties and not even their own.

Meanwhile, my attempt at the cockpit. Once again, I made the colour too red... should be more red-brownish.

qb01.JPG

• Like 5

Finished the cockpit for the Corsair, very happy with the results. Oil paints have been quite forgiving for the weathering. Decided against using the decal for the instrument panel so instead painted tiny specks of white in the dials and dried brush some aluminum to highlight them :

IMG_20210123_132424.thumb.jpg.6506eab319b2afe4c64568e243f67f98.jpg

Added some unthinned X-22 to try to simulate glass as well

IMG_20210123_132528.thumb.jpg.4f8378d37fb80a602d4897b94e18e170.jpg

• Like 4

The new Panzer IV F1 from tamiya (35374). Since the model with the engine cover is for "tropical" use, I am currently building it for the Africa Corps. He is being towed by a Sdkfz 9 famo. I will turn the "VW Kübelwagen" into an ambulance.

10728099p.png

35239.jpg

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

• Like 6

Such beautiful models here. It is very inspiring seeing how talented (and dedicated) people are. Seeing that Corsair cockpit makes me wanna try oils as well.

17 hours ago, STN said:

Hope they will want to continue.

So far they do. 7 am in the effing (sunday) morning he came today, asking for helping to put on the smaller gear joints as he wasn't sure he placed them correctly. It was correct. Adjusted the angles a bit more precise and off for coffee. I should put up office hours in the future for assistance.

They learn fast.

8.jpg.576a4672f8dfa902732ecb8ff745e439.jpg

Mixing something RLM76ish and had him airbrush the first layer. Still masking requires help but the grey and green top colors he then applied as well. The yellow I did myself, as I didn't want to tape over the whole model again "for extra protection". I still made a bit of a mess myself, as I wanted to to camuflage pattern on the side myself. A royal failure from my side. It didn't help that my tiny compressor only has one pressure setting (besides "off"). As for sticker, I do the small ones. Placing stencils for two hours requires a bit more patience than can be expected.

10.jpg.d85d085a38a439e636ca00e860e048a2.jpg

9.jpg.b898509e4d7722acc3121ac801914435.jpg

In the end, I am ok with how it turned out. It is really a nice kit. If it only had a pilot figure. But having gun barrels and pitot tube on the wing parts in the mould is not a very good idea. Well meant but the opposite of practical.

I still need to find a venor for EZ line to make the antenna. hardly anyone sells that. I ran definitely out patience to put on regular (non elastic) thread as I am reattaching those all the time. Once I have that, I'll put it on this one.

P-47 and the Ju52 are next.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1