voncrapenhauser

Plastic Modelers in the IL-2 Community

Posted (edited)

I've established a breeding pair.  :happy:

xdTMMyV.jpg

Using the D.IIIa fuselage as a master I was able to make a resin copy of the fuselage and started backdating it to an earlier D.III with a narrow tailplane and without the exposed guns.  You cant see it in the above shot, but the cockpits were later burred out to accept a few details like seat, instrument panel and control column etc.

The seats are simple styrene affairs, made with their bigger Wingnut Wings cousin's used as reference.  They got a coat of Mr Color Leather and were later brushed over with some raw umber oil paint to give them a bit of depth.

1JZ3wv2.jpg

I also had a try at reproducing the wings.  The first mould was a bust, as the wing was placed vertically and didn't allow for the bubbles to escape entirely.  The second mould was much better and gave a very good cast with no warping at all.  I can probably harvest the ailerons from some of the dud wings and pose them in a slightly more relaxed position.

lzG537r.jpg

The detail comes out pretty good!

itkM5or.jpg

Edited by Feathered_IV
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Fantastic job.

You could always build a Phaltz Zwilling with x2 fuz's LOL.

Looking good feathered.

1 hour ago, STN said:

Fantastic job.

Ditto

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2020 at 11:35 AM, voncrapenhauser said:

Everything at the moment reminds me of an old Chinese curse that says "may you live in interesting times!"

Other ones ( German WWII  ??? )  said something like :  " take the best of War , Peace will be terrible "...

So,  ...que sera, sera... :mda:

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 5:59 PM, HappyHaddock said:

Sculpting figures for table top war games manufacturers  and other model accessories manufacturers has been a big part of my professional employment for many years, though always at the "miniature" end of model making; typically under 40mm tall (1/43 rd scale down to 1/300th scale) though the smallest I have so far created as a one off (rather than for reproduction and sale as castings) was 1/800th scale where I ended up carving human hair for the finer details

Wonderful an amazing :

I never expected to meet miniature wargamers here !

When I began , I was the crazy guy who played toy soldiers....then came Featherstone, Chandler, and many" serious"  people like general Peter Young, re-edition of HG Wells...

then came manufacturers with talented creators like you to offer ready cast army to paint, then seriously researched rules , clubs etc...

Then came Boardgames with Greenwood, Dunnigan or John Hill  -Squad Leader-....

All florished until about 30 years ago computer games began to Crunch large parts of the market.

I followed the move , as I grew older , hands shaking, eyes tired  painting was to demanding...and good partners disappeared like "old soldiers who never die..;"

As a reminder , I look sometimes at my armies  -from 1/35 skirmish to 3mm blocks- but most 1/72; 25 and 15 mm

I'll return my mess, but I am pretty sure I painted those Vikings and Saxons for DBA challenges...

So, thanks for giving me the pleasure to write this , in memoriam to the many good men playing now in some Walhalla ....certainly with good beers and more  !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wargamers are a rare breed. I dabbled way back in my teens.But moved on through many more hobbies, but the enduring one has always been modelmaking, be it R/C planes ,boats ,tanks ,cars. Then getting my Glider pilots license in 1/1 scale aircraft "incidently way easier than R/C flying".-,,Thanks for sharing.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Wargamers are a rare breed. I dabbled way back in my teens.But moved on through many more hobbies, but the enduring one has always been modelmaking, be it R/C planes ,boats ,tanks ,cars. Then getting my Glider pilots license in 1/1 scale aircraft "incidently way easier than R/C flying".-,,Thanks for sharing.

I encountered table top war-gaming in my early teens and it didn't take long for me to realise that it wasn't the gaming aspect that interested me but the challenges of making ever smaller and more detailed miniatures. I took on my first paid commission work dealing with miniatures before heading off to university. Despite studying sciences and notionally being a theoretical physicist I kept going with the various arts and crafts all through a decade in various form of graduate and post-grad study.  Since leaving the education  system I've spent close to two decades self employed with various forms of artistic/creative work which always seem to gravitate back to some form of small sized and fiddly work.

However where other model makers seem to focus on "making".... well.... models. The need to deliver a finished end result is very much part of my paid employment. My hobby is simply learning new miniature craft skills where over the years there is little I haven't taught myself. One memorable "challenge" came about through an FX project for BAFTA winning director who had been struggling to 3D print some tiny models... To cut a long story short he/we ended up having to scrounge access to what was at the time the UKs finest resolution 3D printer   being used for post-doc research in a London university. It struck me as ridiculous that the market couldn't offer anything better for doing detailed work for affordable prices so I ended up designing and building my own low budget high-res printer more for the challenge than any need.

Of course it is now common for all manner of detailed miniatures to be 3D printed, but the desktop gadget I built theoretically goes down to a nominal 5micron layer thickness and 25micron X_Y precision, though I've never needed such detail, and which all these years later is still finer than most machines can handle.

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 2

Twenty years ago I dreamed to build very large armies on ( apparently ) 1/1 basis but by blocks with layers of distinctive colours - rifles and bayonets era )

This idea came after watching an open market on German/czech border....There were thousands of Garden dwarfs aligned, all size and shape; from a distance it was amazing !!!

I crafted some blocks in  balsa, clay, plasticine, paper etc..... but it was almost impossible to cast and paint at affordable price for say :  Austerlitz, Waterloo or Fontenoy ?

The obvious solution is your printer if I understand ......Alas, I'm now really too old to do more than computer game...and in slow machines !

The idea is open to all ....

ps the mysterious Russians : size small 15 (thick base), fine enough not exceptionnal, a full army with nice cav. and superb guns, the flags are uniques (I think) one piece cast and turned to the front -Wind coming from behind.........purchased ca 1999 in France

IMG0045A.jpg

5 hours ago, voncrapenhauser said:

5 hours ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Lucky ones who see some dreams come true.... more later

G.

• Like 2

Hmm, we may need a breakaway thread just on wargaming. 😛

I have one strike squad of 40k grey Knights that I bought just for the painting experience.

More on subject I'm also building up a collection of plane miniatures for the Wings of Glory WW2 table top air combat game. They can be a bit spendy as the game is largely out of print but I have 2 spitfire mk1s, 2 109 Es, 2 109 K4s, a Beaufighter mk1, and coming in the mail 2 Stukas and a B17G 😁.

It's a fun extension of what we do in this sim..... Just more social and you have to make your own sound effects. 😛

• Like 1

Not in Covid19 quarantine (I work in a shop which has not yet been closed as we primarily focus on professional craftsmen as customers), but I have a few pics of a model I've finished quite some time ago. The kit is from Airfix, it's their Bf 109 E-4 in 1/72 scale. Contrary to what the kit claims "Yellow 13" was flown by Lt. Josef Eberle (who would later be killed in a Bf 109 E-4/b "Yellow 13" over the Channel) of 9./JG 54 in 1940. The figures are from Andrea Miniatures but I didn't much like them ... the casting (in metal) is simply sub-optimal and I have seen soft plastic figues in that scale with far better and crisper details.

Bf_109_E-4_Eberle_001.jpg

Bf_109_E-4_Eberle_002.jpg

Bf_109_E-4_Eberle_003.jpg

Bf_109_E-4_Eberle_004.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

14 hours ago, pfrances said:

..... Just more social and you have to make your own sound effects. 😛

What we do in sims is very fun often, no paintings, research, broken lances, cats on the tables, space to work, play ,  store boxes on boxes of unpainted, half mounted,  etc.......

But  : no real partners to cheat on,  cheers,  and share beers and jokes !  _  although wargamer's beer is certainly different from sports one, as I never (?) saw drunk animals savagely fighting each others  or noisy  breaking wargamers manifestations ...

The problem is to rely on the Black Box, often obscure to understand and capricious like lady's vapour who ruin your best battles plans ????  and sometimes it let you alone in the dark without reason _  (Knocking wood it is now the best friend of millions constraints people ) but I love my own  Dark Vador...he is listening :ph34r:.

For Battle sounds  (in old days) I'd tapes 4hours in magnetoscpe , filled with military music, borrowed war movies , ......The 1949 "MAN in IRON"  ( ?  un homme de fer -french title) offered  exceptional atmosphere of B17 raids and fighters attack , I used them also with SWOtL

:drinks:

• Haha 1

I don't know why I did it, I don't really need it, I have a 1/24 typhoon in my stash and no real room for it. But I saw a cheap Airfix 1/24 hellcat, the highest bid was low, so I bid on it. I ended up winning the thing for $70. My wife is going to be pissed when that turns up.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

I don't know why I did it, I don't really need it, I have a 1/24 typhoon in my stash and no real room for it. But I saw a cheap Airfix 1/24 hellcat, the highest bid was low, so I bid on it. I ended up winning the thing for $70. My wife is going to be pissed when that turns up.

It happens to the best of us. I have a single cupboard about 4ft wide, 3ft tall and about 2ft deep in which I keep my stash. I now have a simple rule that if a new purchase won't fit I won't buy until I've completed enough to create space for the next unopened box. However when you largely scratch build/sculpt, enjoy micro modelling, and only have one box in your stash larger than 1/72nd scale (the bulk is 1/144th down to 1/2500th scale) that one cupboard holds an awful lot!

HH

Posted (edited)

Done. Happy to have this one off the table. It is a gorgeous plane and would deserve a better quality kit.

Potez 25 A2, RF 22
Nr.2054

Rochefort training unit
French Naval Aviation

1:72 Azur Frrom

lor10.JPG

lor11.JPG

lor12.JPG

lor13.JPG

lor15.JPG

lor16.JPG

lor17.JPG

Edited by STN
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Gotta loft?, garage,?Or any where to hide under the bed?until later,then its "oh this old kit I had it for ages" try to wear a halo at the time though.

1 hour ago, STN said:

Done. Happy to have this one off the table. It is a gorgeous plane and would deserve a better quality kit.

Potez 25 A2, RF 22
Nr.2054

Rochefort training unit
French Naval Aviation

1:72 Azur Frrom

lor10.JPG

lor11.JPG

lor12.JPG

lor13.JPG

lor15.JPG

lor16.JPG

lor17.JPG

Nice I was wondering where The Undercart got to?

Something without rigging for a change :)

veg00.JPG

• Like 2

Corrrect. It will be an army plane, not one of the specials.

Posted (edited)

Cool.

Hoping to get my 2 figures done then back to some traditional modeling with........Not yet decided , but have a collection of 1/32nd german Wunder weapons, IE,Arrado blitz,Horton 229,Me 163,Heinkel Spatz and Dornier 335.........can't make my mind up.

Edited by voncrapenhauser

Aaaah, You have decided to refurnish the house? :)

• Haha 1

PICTURE 8.jpg

PICTURE 3.jpg

PICTURE 6.jpg

PICTURE 4.jpg

I built this a few years back. I sorta copied the bird on the cover of Time/Life book "Knights of the Air" One day I'd like to get a bird for FC skinned this way. I've seen Goring's bird, but this one is mine.

KB

PICTURE 5.jpg

PICTURE 7.jpg

PICTURE 2.jpg

PICTURE 1.jpg

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Here's pictures of The ASK21 I 1st flew solo in, and a custom model I did a while ago.

Hotel ,Charlie ,X ray at Devon and somerset gliding club a truly excellent aircraft to learn in ...Very forgiving..

Custom Decals by my best mate.

10052009.jpg

Charlie Xray flight week.jpg

Dscf2265.jpg

Dscf2266.jpg

Dscf2267.jpg

Dscf2268.jpg

Dscf2269.jpg

CNV00008.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Lovely aircraft to fly, and tough as old boots for aerobatics. Concrete swan in the background too :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Yes, will always be my favorite as my 1st solo.

If the ask21 was the grand tour er, I loved flying the junior as it seemed more like a sorts car  ....way more maneuverable .

I loved the K13 also because of its canvas old school  charm when it creaked as you turned in thermals.

• Upvote 1

Just finished, paint still wet.

!/4 scale Wonder woman from a 3 d print by a  best mate, custom base..

Dscf2270.jpg

Dscf2271.jpg

Dscf2272.jpg

Dscf2273.jpg

Dscf2274.jpg

Dscf2275.jpg

Dscf2276.jpg

• Like 5

That`s really cool Von...

I will also add a little of my modeling work. Yak-3 1:72 Revell (Zvezda)

IMG_20200331_193717.jpg

IMG_20200331_193753.jpg

IMG_20200331_193836.jpg

IMG_20200331_193927.jpg

Tirpitz 1:800 Academy

IMG_20200325_235227.jpg

IMG_20200325_235636.jpg

IMG_20200325_235319.jpg

IMG_20200325_235337.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

I have added a video from the construction of diorama Tirpitz. It is the second part of the construction with the process of making the sea.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good stuff Barracuda.....

• Like 1

some progress on the Vega.

veg02.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Well this one is  done....1/35 Tamiya .Sd.Kfz.222 of the 1st Company , 4th Kradschutzen (Motorcycle) Battalion, 24th Panzer Division, South Russia Aug 1942.

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

F.jpg

Edited by Buglord
  • Like 8
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Awesome work Bug.

Are the hatches P.E.? or molded mate?

Top work there.

Great progress ST.Lockheed had some really beautiful designs in that era.

18 hours ago, Buglord said:

Well this one is  done....1/35 Tamiya .Sd.Kfz.222 of the 1st Company , 4th Kradschutzen (Motorcycle) Battalion, 24th Panzer Division, South Russia Aug 1942.

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

8.jpg

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

F.jpg

Is that Lt. Gruber's "little tank"?

• Haha 2