voncrapenhauser

Plastic Modelers in the IL-2 Community

That looks amazing.  I've done a fair bit of sculpture, but nothing near that size.  You really make me want to have a go.  :)

Who is the character?  I'm not sure I recognise her.

Thanks for the Encouragement.

I used Aves epoxysculpt, it has a working time when mixed of around 2 hours then cures as an epoxy normally dose.

You can also use a wetted finger or any tool to get a smooth finish, meaning minimal sanding needed.

The character is an old D n D role playing character from years back called "Tsu", a Half Elf Rouge thief type.

The artwork was drawn by a very good friend of mine the coloring was done with photoshop by myself a long long time ago and has taken a long while to finally do a figure sculpt.

I am not too displeased with the outcome considering its my first attempt sculpting in this scale.

But for sure the sculpting epoxy was way easier to use than I anticipated and for some of your models Feathered would probably be a godsend for making parts like seats and alike.

Edited by voncrapenhauser
Bad spelling....I think.

Sculpting figures for table top war games manufacturers  and other model accessories manufacturers has been a big part of my professional employment for many years, though always at the "miniature" end of model making; typically under 40mm tall (1/43 rd scale down to 1/300th scale) though the smallest I have so far created as a one off (rather than for reproduction and sale as castings) was 1/800th scale where I ended up carving human hair for the finer details

I wouldn't be without epoxy putty and would put in a shout for three brands, Kneadatite, Milliput and Pro-sculpt. All have epoxy as the active hardening agent but all use different inert fillers giving them different working properties, but in sharing the same active ingredient all can be blended with one another to achieve what ever working property I need to suit the style and detail of figure required by my clients.

However, like you mentioning that this was a first attempt at this scale, I too today have been working on a commission that's a big stretch from my usual work; a 200mm tall (1/9th scale) sculpt of a character form a 70's comic; that being Major Eazy.  If it turns out OK I may have to post a picture or two here.

HH

6mm SciFi.jpg

15mm war games.jpg

Elvis72.jpg

starship crew.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2

I love the Trek figures  cool.Look forward to seeing The bigger one if you can show?

• Thanks 1

Fantastic work everyone , it wont let me like anymore of your posts today lol,  iv`e not been well that`s why i have not been around for a while its nothing serious its my leg , i`m into mountain biking and i tore a load of muscles in my left leg but the meds i had to take for it was making me ill so yeah, but im nearly back to normal now ,i cant heal as fast as i used to due to me being an old git 🤣 & i have finished the grant , just need to take some pics. Again great work everyone.

• Sad 1

I know the feeling too, Get well soon Bug Mate.

Here is my latest project, !/4 scale Wonder Woman figure,

Scaled up from a 1/6th scale mesh and 3d printed buy my best mate.

Very little clean up needed primed and starting to paint whith alclad chrome.

Dscf2179.jpg

Dscf2182.jpg

Image1.jpg

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Here is my latest project, 1/4 scale Wonder Woman figure,

Scaled up from a 1/6th scale mesh and 3d printed buy my best mate.

Very little clean up needed primed and starting to paint with alclad chrome.

Nice looking model...  one of the varied model makers I know through work must have 30-40 years in the FX business and was heavily involved in the recent wonder woman movie... but hey you could name almost any Sci-Fi/fantasy/Superhero movie from the original  Star Wars onwards and there's probably a 50/50 chance that he had a hand in the FX work. Although he's UK based he's kind of the "go to guy" when Hollywood studios with big budgets need to quickly get a lot of pre-vis done prior to committing even bigger budgets to the actual stuff seen on screen... It's frightening how quickly he can spend a few million dollars making a "mock up" of a movie simply in order to help producers/directors decide how best to spend $100million or more.

Alas, although my own client list does include the odd Oscar/BAFTA winner here or there, my prop. making and FX work is more of a side line thing than a primary source of income. However the insane deadlines and turnaround times of TV film work aren't conducive to producing good work... so perhaps I'm happier with private collectors as clients after all.

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Upvote 1

Cool , I have seen the movie props and they do not stand up to close scrutiny unlike a good model.Still most movie props are on screen for seconds , so dont need to look so good. I posted pics of Gerry Anderson studio scale Skydiver a while back to represent such modelling types.I see some peoples model exact replicas like this complete with overspray and finger marks lol.Keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, voncrapenhauser said:

Cool , I have seen the movie props and they do not stand up to close scrutiny unlike a good model.Still most movie props are on screen for seconds , so dont need to look so good. I posted pics of Gerry Anderson studio scale Skydiver a while back to represent such modelling types.I see some peoples model exact replicas like this complete with overspray and finger marks lol.Keep up the good work.

A short while ago I had the good fortune to examine the original large scale prop/FX model  of Gerry Anderson's "super car". It passed through the hands of a Sci-Fi memorabilia dealer/collector who was based close to my workshop. In many respects the quality of these "cheap" models for low budget 60's TV shows was better than a lot of modern film models simply because they didn't have the option to do so  much with digital post production.

That said I think the most disappointing for me were when I got to see the large scale star ship models from StarTrek. I was (still am) a huge fan of the show and the models looked stunning on TV. You got up close in person and they looked like garbage... quite literally I've thrown away better looking work as a failure and started again (despite my work being a fraction of the size and yet more detailed)... but it all comes down to time scale and how skilled the lighting technicians are.

197911888_StarTrek.jpg.a2d41f1f942356b0cfbf45196487f1bf.jpg

for refence the above is 1/2500th scale with a saucer diameter of about 45-50mm  ( so it is likely much smaller than shown on your monitor!)

Much as I digress and waffle off topic, the whole attitude of FX model making was summed up for me in one story told to me by a colleague. I don't recall which  batman movie it was but this colleague was heavily involved in making some large scale model buildings to recreate Gotham city on a warehouse sized sound stage. Their team spent months making these and it took a week simply to ship everything to the soundstage. Once erected the art director came in, took one look, and asked for certain changes to be made. They asked when the changes were needed for, the director apparently looked at his watch, said it is about 10pm now and you need to be ready for 6am tomorrow for the lighting crew to set up. When they tried to explain that it would take longer than that to dismantle the models to take them back to their own workshop and that there were no suitable stores open over night to buy the raw materials they needed locally they were told that delay wasn't an option. 

To cut  a long story short it was costing approx. $50k per day for the soundstage plus crew and the film company would rather spend whatever it took to avoid the delay than have an entire crew sit about doing nothing whilst the model makers made the changes... The solution; -  the film company paid to evict other residents from the hotel the model makers were due to sleep in, they spent the night banging hammering and sawing using the bedroom furniture as "raw materials" to try rebuild the models and then paid the hotel company for refurbishing the rooms after they left.... First thing next morning the amended models were on set ready for lighting tests and the exhausted model makers whilst not proud of the quality of their work, were immensely proud of how much they had accomplished in the one sleepless night.

Edited by HappyHaddock

Cool story Happy.

That sums up the reality of movie work.

I would not describe my self as a Trekie but some of the designs over the years are really cool.

I remember watching the original series on TV The first time round.

• Thanks 1

Oh I’m most definitely a trekkie. 😄

Truly great job on the Enterprise.   It’s just my size too!

• Thanks 1

Well its finished , over a thousand parts to this one, just got to put it on the trailer...  Miniart 1/35 Grant Mk1 of the 7th Armoured Division, El Alamein , 1942. :) 

1.jpg

11.jpg

13.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

15.jpg

• Like 8
  • Upvote 3

Holy crap 😍!!

Bravo buglord!!

• Like 1

@Buglord

I don't do much by way of armour modelling (I think this might only have been my second or third military vehicle) but this 1/72nd Bradley was one I had a bit of fun with up-grading and super detailing. The basic kit could be no more than perhaps 150-200 pieces, (where a lot of those didn't even get used) but I'd guess by the time you allow for all the extra PE, scratch building, wire work and sculpting that went into this I may have been getting close to the 1000+ plus parts you mention on your Grant Mk1.

I've one kit in my stash I haven't yet been brave enough to tackle. It's a 1/72nd scale Sherman that can only have been produced simply for the challenge of seeing how complex and detailed a kit it is possible to manufacture and release to market, regardless of whether anyone can actually then build it. We're not just talking things like having to assemble dozens of individual links to build the main tracks, but in just one of many cases of mad excess even the small Browning MG mounted on top of the main gun turret has individually positionable (if that's a word?) shells on the drooping ammunition belt that feeds into it.... In short it is one of those products where you get all the parts out of the box, look at them, admire them and then put them all away again thinking maybe one day I might build this!

17 finsihed tank.jpg

Edited by HappyHaddock
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Done.... but with mixed feelings... many things went southwards but the cherry on the cake is the glue fumes frosting inside. Tried to remove the canopy. Made it even worse.... fu*k it...

Yokosuka MXY7 OHKA model 22

1:72 Brengun

oh06.JPG

oh07.JPG

oh08.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thanks everyone... HappyHaddock that`s one cool Bradley , would like to see the Sherman Built 👍 .

STN Great 1 way trip plane ... When i built the F15 i broke the original canopy , then glue frosted the replacement then i was 3rd time lucky with 3rd one, Frustrating .

Edited by Buglord
  • Thanks 1

Alright, time to move on- this kit looked great in the box, however I am unpleasantly surprised at how inaccurate the mould halves of the manufacturer are aligned. Basically all parts required massive cleaning up of the offset. The kit was cca. 30 EUR and will still need a lot of additional adjustments along the way.

lor00.JPG

On 2/4/2020 at 3:59 AM, pfrances said:

Holy crap 😍!!

Bravo buglord!!

+1 Mate

Nice!

Wonder Woman Progress so far.

ww1.jpg

ww 3.jpg

ww 2.jpg

ww 5.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good von, great detailing..

Finished at last...........

20200205_204829.jpg

20200205_204838.jpg

20200205_204854.jpg

20200205_204924.jpg

20200205_204935.jpg

20200205_205010.jpg

20200205_205015.jpg

20200205_205036.jpg

20200205_205051.jpg

20200205_205114.jpg

20200205_205123.jpg

20200205_205319.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Congratulations on an epic build buglord. I was so looking forward to seeing the two together and am not disappointed.

Great piece of work. :drinks:

• Like 1

Fantastic Buglord! Really lovely to look at. 

• Like 1

Thank You for the kind words.... Now i`m working on something small , a Sd.Kfz.222.. :)

Good work on the scammell. Came out great. I've been on the fence to get one, but now I think I will

• Like 1

As a recovering plastic model addict I changed the name of the thread. Really good work guys.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

As a recovering plastic model addict I changed the name of the thread. Really good work guys.

Jason

Sounds like it's time for a relapse!

Stolen from Great Battles skins:

IMG_9469e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9474e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9484e_edited-1.jpg

...But here's something to really salivate over ...BTW I didn't build it:

58.JPG

63.jpg

68.jpg

82.JPG

AFF3A14CA7924F6FA48758170E878E94.JPG

thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (9).jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Stolen from Great Battles skins:

IMG_9469e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9474e_edited-1.jpg

IMG_9484e_edited-1.jpg

...But here's something to really salivate over ...BTW I didn't build it:

58.JPG

63.jpg

68.jpg

82.JPG

AFF3A14CA7924F6FA48758170E878E94.JPG

thumbnail (7).jpg

thumbnail (9).jpg

thumbnail (10).jpg

I hope thats not a scratch build !!!!

8 hours ago, 161snails said:

I hope thats not a scratch build !!!!

Mine ( the Dora) was from a 1/24th Trumpeter kit.

The Bertha is scratch built - every single tiny part.It was crafted by the very talented Guillermo Rosa Bazan. He builds one-offs for well off collectors.His website is worth the visit!

http://www.rojasbazan.com/home/

4.JPG

40.jpg

46.jpg

57.JPG

76.jpg

IMG_1416.JPG

unnamed (18).jpg

• Like 1

i did this fantasy plastic polyemre models lately

i dont do any more for i have no place to put them so i try to give them away for free but even then giving them away so they dont end in the garbage is difficult:

anatomic not spining handle.jpg

donald.jpg

elf.jpg

gentleman.jpg

gnome.jpg

humphrey.jpg

medea.jpg

phantom.jpg

redhead.jpg

yoda.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Had a bit of break from model building. Gathering strength to continue with this upcoming filling and sanding festival.

lor01.JPG

• Like 1

A bit of progress after 4 days of filling-sanding and trying to fit the parts together.

lor02.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Great progress STN mate.

Haven't finished my figure builds yet.

Had another health setback, another heart attack 2 weeks ago, another stent fitted, kicked out the door and now waiting for reassessment to see if I can continue working🙁 at all.

Still could have been a lot worse I guess.

So I guess I have no excuse about not having time as I have plenty of that now.

Still great work everyone, keep up the great work.

Oh man, sorry to hear that, von. Wish You all the best and a quick recovery 👍

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

Cheers hope I catch a break soon. sheesh! 🤒

• Upvote 2