Sign in to follow this  
Lazlo

Checking 6 in VR

So I want to use my Vive . . . I love VR in this game, gunnery is so much easier for me than on a monitor. However there’s a problem . . . My neck can only take so much punishment. I can’t turn it more than 45 degrees, and since I have a center mount flight stick, swiveling my chair is out of the question. I tried the old ‘look one direction, center the view and look in the other direction’ trick to check 6, but it only helps mitigate the problem. 

I was wondering if there was any app that kind of ‘multiplies’ the degrees of your turn, kind of like you can do with TrackIR (the speed setting? Not in front of my computer.) So let’s say you turn your head 45 degrees, it could multiply that by 2x to 90. 

Any help or tips are appreciated!

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Lazlo said:

So I want to use my Vive . . . I love VR in this game, gunnery is so much easier for me than on a monitor. However there’s a problem . . . My neck can only take so much punishment. I can’t turn it more than 45 degrees, and since I have a center mount flight stick, swiveling my chair is out of the question. I tried the old ‘look one direction, center the view and look in the other direction’ trick to check 6, but it only helps mitigate the problem. 

I was wondering if there was any app that kind of ‘multiplies’ the degrees of your turn, kind of like you can do with TrackIR (the speed setting? Not in front of my computer.) So let’s say you turn your head 45 degrees, it could multiply that by 2x to 90. 

Any help or tips are appreciated!

Just like the real pilots did eh?

;)

I saw a post earlier where someone said Steam VR Advanced Settings had where you could assign a 180 degree view to a button on the controller.

There is also this:

This method can also be somewhat complex in nature. I personally do not use either of these preferring the 1:1 ratio for myself.

Edited by dburne

7 minutes ago, dburne said:

Just like the real pilots did eh?

;)

I saw a post earlier where someone said Steam VR Advanced Settings had where you could assign a 180 degree view to a button on the controller.

There is also this:

This method can also be somewhat complex in nature. I personally do not use either of these preferring the 1:1 ratio for myself.

Ha yeah, however I’m sure the real pilots were half the age I am now :) Thanks for this, I’m going to give it a shot tonight. 

9 minutes ago, Lazlo said:

Ha yeah, however I’m sure the real pilots were half the age I am now :) Thanks for this, I’m going to give it a shot tonight. 

Lol, you are most welcome, have fun!

I have an extensive neck/back problem so I check six with the help of a swivel chair. 

• Like 1

Yeah, swivel chair is definitely not out of the question here.  One fishing boat seat swivel, 10" stamped plate with ball bearing, and an old Windstar bucket seat.  Only need to swivel twenty to thirty degrees to see whats correct.  If you need to see pure 6, you really have other major pressing issues.

As I've been playing IL-2 with the heavy Index for several hours a day I've started to think my neck is getting a bit more flexible and even a little stronger 😄

Actually I play à lot with the center view Button. For instance, when I want to check my right 6, I first turn my Head left, I press on center Button, then I turn my Head right to see my 6 . 

Then I close my eyes and look in front of me, press center Button to get back at normal. 

IT takes some time to get used to IT, but now I can do it IT very fast during dog fight. It's the best way I've found at the moment. 

Dear developers, as suggested by others as well, would it be possible to enable hat views in VR?  This way you could turn your pilot head with the hat switch and then additionally move your head to adjust the view...   This is how it works in Aces High, for example, and its great. Basically your VR helmet can be used as a 3D monitor with inbuilt trackir...

Many thanks,

Camo

• Upvote 1

The checking six topic is an always recurring topic in this VR forum. There are rivers of ink about that from the very beginning:

Think your-self: What do you want about combat flight simulator VR?  Be as real as possible or having a Space Invaders arcade game? 

I am not criticing the second choice, it is just a personal thing, but if you prefer the first choice you need to think on how those brave pilots were sitting in the plane, with thick jackets, parachute and fasten belts. And how their rear visibility was reduced. Of course, they were feeling fear always and that´s why they were not flying in straight line when they were in combat zones.

It is true that headsets with more FOV helps to chek six better and people with less flexibility or neck/back problems should procure something to get more rear view. But having a perfect six view (like a snap view or the TRack IR) is something that WWII pilots never had. Some one them had mirrors, but all of them had fear.

So, yes, I want to have a bit of that fear from my sweet home, even if it is just 0.01% of the real fear.  :salute:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, LLv34_Camouflage said:

This is how it works in Aces High, for example, and its great. Basically your VR helmet can be used as a 3D monitor with inbuilt trackir...

My thoughts exactly.

In the meantime you can use OperVR advanced settings and bind a 180 snap view to a touch controller button.

8 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

But having a perfect six view (like a snap view or the TRack IR) is something that WWII pilots never had. Some one them had mirrors, but all of them had fear.

So, yes, I want to have a bit of that fear from my sweet home, even if it is just 0.01% of the real fear.  :salute:

Well Chili, just don't use the feature (if and when we will ever have it...)

Edited by Nibbio

18 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

The checking six topic is an always recurring topic in this VR forum. There are rivers of ink about that from the very beginning:

Think your-self: What do you want about combat flight simulator VR?  Be as real as possible or having a Space Invaders arcade game? 

I am not criticing the second choice, it is just a personal thing, but if you prefer the first choice you need to think on how those brave pilots were sitting in the plane, with thick jackets, parachute and fasten belts. And how their rear visibility was reduced. Of course, they were feeling fear always and that´s why they were not flying in straight line when they were in combat zones.

It is true that headsets with more FOV helps to chek six better and people with less flexibility or neck/back problems should procure something to get more rear view. But having a perfect six view (like a snap view or the TRack IR) is something that WWII pilots never had. Some one them had mirrors, but all of them had fear.

I fully agree. For me it is all about the realism and immersion.

I will never use a snap view or change from 1:1 movement no matter the headset.

I sometimes laugh to myself when I see the progression. Snap View-Track IR - VR with 1:1 Movement and actual scale sitting in the cockpit - Snap Views again...

I do not intend this post to mock in any way those that prefer to use snap views for their own reasons.

It is very much a personal preference, and as long as can be done in game then it should be allowed to be done.

And that is just how I feel for myself. And I am even more handicapped I suspect than most. Lost half my eyesight due to a large stroke, so my personal FOV is about half what most everyone else has. And to top that off I have a very bad neck with lots of neck pain and stiffness.  But I still manage the way I like it, and I do tend to fly

planes that have mirrors and that certainly helps. I am able to maintain very good situational awareness, so if I let someone get on my six odds are then it is likely too late.

I also have a swivel chair, and can twist a little, so that helps me a little.

So I fly this sim just the way I like too, and I certainly would not want anything taken away from others who enjoy it how they like it, even if it is different

to how I enjoy it. As long as the capability is built into the sim, use it if desired.

• Upvote 3

I'm hoping we can get back the portion of the old VR zoom mod that allowed us to extend the view 20 degrees in either direction.  That would help with the FOV in my Quest.

On 5/31/2020 at 9:33 AM, VR-DriftaholiC said:

As I've been playing IL-2 with the heavy Index for several hours a day I've started to think my neck is getting a bit more flexible and even a little stronger 😄

From second 0:12 , one day we will be able. If you don't recognize him, he is a former F1 pilot and currently he is a Dakar rally pilot 

• Haha 1