wildbill6641

Looking for Mentor Il-2 basic program setup

Posted (edited)

I am 88 retired military pilot in assisted living facility trying to keep my mind and limbs active.

I have had BoS, FC, CoD and 46 for about 3 months. I have been concentrating primarily on BoS.

I can fly the AC relatively well.

MY PROBLEM IS

Edited by wildbill6641

For installation, Il-2 1946 and Il-2 Cliffs of Dover are separate games, originally developed by different game companies. Both of them are now supported by 'official' mod teams, and CLoD has a deal with the developers of the Great Battles series to sell on their site and be part of the business.

Battle of Stalingrad and Flying Circus are both 'modules' of the same base game - the Il-2 Great Battles series. Battle of Moscow, Battle of Kuban, and Battle of Bodenplatte are all modules as well. If you were to purchase those, they would not even need to be downloaded - it would simply 'unlock' the planes and maps on the game you already have installed.

Lately Great Battles has seen a lot of updates, so you will have noticed that almost every time you launch it, it needs an update. The easiest way to make sure your game is always up to date is to use the Launcher exe. That will automatically update your game if it needs it, and then let you play. This has been unusual as there has been big changes to the how the graphics work in game and it has required a lot of bug fixes, but that should be coming to an end for a while.

Are there particular problems you are encountering when trying to play the games? Il-2 1946 is an older game that has been updated a lot but I know some people have trouble getting it to run on Windows 10. CLoD is also older but is a bit more modern and should give you less trouble to run. For Battle of Stalingrad/FC the game should just keep itself up to date automatically.

• Like 1

I am 88 retired military pilot in assisted living facility trying to keep my mind and limbs active.

I have had BoS, FC, CoD and 46 for about 3 months. I have been concentrating primarily on BoS.

MY PROBLEM IS, settings, graphics, 3000 tutorial, shades 2000, nividia control, armoury crate etc.

The forest seems to hide the trees with all the posted adjustments?

My equipment:Azus ROG Strix GL 531GT with GTX1650, Thurstmaster Hotas and pedals.

I have limited/slow wifi and would appreciate PMs.

I am on the East coast of US.

PLEASE HELP!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, wildbill6641 said:

MY PROBLEM IS, settings, graphics, 3000 tutorial, shades 2000, nividia control, armoury crate etc.

The forest seems to hide the trees with all the posted adjustments?

My equipment:Azus ROG Strix GL 531GT with GTX1650, Thurstmaster Hotas and pedals.

I have limited/slow wifi and would appreciate PMs.

I am on the East coast of US.

PLEASE HELP!

you've come to the right place.

Welcome!

Lets take your issues one by one!

Give us one prob we can try to solve that you need help with.

Someone here will be able to help!

Great! Re:Graphics, A while back I tried to follow the 3000 guide but found it was outdated than came Shades 2020, Shades says to dl gero to a  locn shown as a steam locn with a similar locn else where. I'll be d***** if I can find it.

?1 Where in the program (not steam) does Gero go?

?2 Where is the setting for "power zoom" (my ONE and only eye) is bad and I would like to see bandits  sooner.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

im in bed (3am here) but ill dig out the zoom key location for you tomorrow. i use VR and have it bound to my stick but its a different key for 2d.

ill take a look at those threads as ive not used em before to work out what you mean :)

Are you having issues with game performance in general or are just trying to optimise things?

im sure others here can assist while I sleep!

UPDATE:

Possible Zoom solution.

Try this in the meantime!

Under Pilot Head Controls, it's called Head Zoom I think.

To zoom in your cockpit view with your keyboard, press the numpad + key (Pilot head: zoom in). To zoom out your view, press the numpad – key (Pilot head: zoom out). You can also use your mouse's scroll wheel to zoom in and out (Pilot head: zoom). To return to the default, un-zoomed view, press the numpad * key (Pilot head: reset zoom).

Edited by OrLoK

Thks, Think I am trying to optimize before making any judgements on performance

Will try zoom suggestion mananna

What are the little grn numbers top rt side of game screen that increase and decrease

Posted (edited)

1. another possible zoom.

Press keypad Del (,) + Keypad # 8

2. little green numbers in top right which appear/dissapear if "backspace" is pressed will be your FPS (frames per second) counter. higher is better. higher the number the smoother the game.

hope this helps a bit!

Edited by OrLoK

let us know how you get on with that. ill hit my desk soon and will be able to give a bit more accurate info!

1 :fps runs in game activity 120 to 180 some times 200, flying is relatively smooth.

Notice when starting mission in air there is a small delay between unpausing and

control.

2:zoom found to be up and down key bd keys set in head zoom and is big help for my one eye.

?What is the significance of my high fps?

Next step would seem to be optimization of settings?? or what ever u would suggest.

graphics, 3000 tutorial, shades 2000, nividia control, armoury crate etc.

120 to 180 (or even 200) is very high - which is good! - but also means you could probably choose to increase your il-2 graphics settings, which will give better visual quality.

Are you running il-2 BOS on Low graphics settings? Maybe post a screen shot of your settings here.

30 fps is playable (if you're desperate), 60 is very playable.

So yes - you can maybe up your settings a bit !

Good luck, and hope you have a blast,

:icon_e_salute:

About the unpause, when you start in the air level stabaliser is engauged

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, wildbill6641 said:

1 :fps runs in game activity 120 to 180 some times 200, flying is relatively smooth.

Notice when starting mission in air there is a small delay between unpausing and

control.

2:zoom found to be up and down key bd keys set in head zoom and is big help for my one eye.

?What is the significance of my high fps?

Next step would seem to be optimization of settings?? or what ever u would suggest.

graphics, 3000 tutorial, shades 2000, nividia control, armoury crate etc.

Wildbill6641

Optimization is different for different systems. I am going to assume that you are just using a monitor of the Laptop display.  VR, which is state of the art  display technology, uses a face mask to deliver the images to your eye (not sure if they expose you guys this stuff in your home :P)

You will want to optimize 2 aspects,(1) your FPS and (2) improved definition to spot planes enemies, both are aspects are joined at the hip as one will have an impact on the other. Based on your specs your system is definitely more than good for non VR. So I give broad explanation to give you situational awareness and gain some basic logic about how to manage these settings (My learning is based on the link you mention and many advises I have received from other community members)

Regarding FPS (frames in 1 second), it is describing how many individual pictures/frames your PC is drawing or "rendering" ever second. I want to take your memory back to when you may have gone to watch the early releases of Charlie Chaplin's movies. Those things displayed about 18 pre drawn frames in 1 second and was quite watchable despite being a little bit jerky. Subsequent studies found that the human eye distinguish up to 25 frames in 1 second. Any more than that the eye cannot see. So based on that finding all movies since then were made with 25 pre drawn FPS. And whalah no more Jerkies and super smooth and comfortable viewing of the movie. SO this is exactly what you want from you games which is effectively flipping images on your screen to create a smooth movie.

Now based on your FPS, that means all your frame rates above 25 FPS are not seen by your eye and indicate that your system has a load of excess resources that can be traded for what we in the "know" call "eye candy":big_boss: . The more "eye candy" the closer you come to photo-real rendering of each frame which makes for a more immersive experience and easier to spot stuff.

That means you can increase your graphic settings to absorb those excess resources. Keep in mind that more detailed textures, explosions, smoke, clouds, moving objects etc. all consume those resources. SO the strategy is to add eye candy and cross check you FPS until you either max out the settings or reach your target FPS. For margin of safety you could consider that 40fps to be you minimum. Take note...if you are running on a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) and not a (Sold Disk Drive), you could arrive at a tipping point where the game starts to stutter during the game play as it is waiting for the relatively slower HDD to load up the additional eye candy (which is similar to the delay you experience just after you unpause the game)

Now there is a train of thought that says that frame rates should at least be as much as the monitor frequency (Laptops typically run at 60Hz and latest displays at 120Hz + ) but for the moment I would say dont worry about that.

Also I would recommend that you do not dive right now into reshaders as they are complicated and should be a last resort.

Now there are also a few "tricks" that make it easier to spot targets:help:

a) Some special combinations of graphic settings

b) Track IR hardware - This is a dumbed down type of VR that allows your head movements to be translated into head movements within the game and makes the spotting and especially tracking of targets incredibly easy and realistic. Very easy to install (5 minutes), basically you wear a tracking clip on a baseball cap which is tracked by an infrared sensor.

c) Artificial markings which are called "icons" .They basically paint a large coloured mark near to the target (which everyone hates as it takes away from the immersion, but may become a necessary evil if option A does not cut it for you). These can be toggled on and off within the "realism" options and in game.

Below I have posted screen shots of my settings and those that are circled in red rings are to improve the spotting of targets and other settings are optimized eye candy for my rig which is also ROG but much lower specs than yours, so with these settings you will surly have incredible frame rates and a good starting point and any issues from here can be resolved 1 by 1. 

Black coloured shots are inside the game, the white coloured are set in Nvidia control panel app which is accessed prior to running the game.

game settings.jpg

graphic settings.jpg

Nvidia 3 (2).jpg

Nvidia1 (2).jpg

Nvidia2 (2).jpg

realism settings.jpg

Edited by screamingdemon

with your high FPS (how many times the picture is shown/updated per second) dont worry about optimising too much as you are better off than many :)

i genetally avoid old huge guides as i find it too easy to encounter old/out of date info.

if you are happy with your games oerfomance tou dont HAVE to "optimise" it :)

as others have pointed out, if you start a mission in the air, there is an autopilot automatically engaged (keypress "A") you can turn it of by using your joystick to force it off or hit the key.

its there to give you a chance to settle in after pressing pause off.

Thks to screaming eagle for clear and understandable reply(also orlok)

An add to org post, I am blind in one eye and the other is 20/40 with reading gls. Hence I dont think I can see subtle chgs in graphics. The icons are a big help. Last nite I hooked my 32in Toshiba fire tv to lap top. Max fps was 60. Graphics seemed about the same. Flying seemed not as smooth as on 120. Will try new graphics settings manana.

Spent frustrating hrs trying to take scrn shots to no avail. Some one have simple way?(win10).

Re TrackIR, Will this work with my one bad eye? Do I understand correctly that I would stay in cockpit view and if I turned my head to the left I would look out over the left wing? Hence if I had just past a bogey on my left in opposite direction, can I just turn my head to the left and re engage him without any key entries????This would be real world without searching for the right view key and wld it work with my one eye??

All that said, would you give me a Amazon TR item to try. Cost is not a primary factor, realistic looking is! Whats good about Amazon is, if it doesn't work for me I can send it back.

Posted (edited)

Track IR tracks head movement and exaggerates it in areas dependant on how one sets it. it does not rely on eye movement.

you will need to "wear" a (supplied) movement tracker either attached to an over the ear headphone set or attached to a peaked "gimmie" cap.

itll take some setting up but is quite a good tool/experience.

but, yes itll help you look around tge cockpit hands free :)

i cant link you to an amazon example as im UK based and i think you're in the Americas somewhere.

im sure another poster will assist.

Edited by OrLoK

Much respect Wildbill. I want to be like you when I grow up.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, wildbill6641 said:

Re TrackIR, Will this work with my one bad eye? Do I understand correctly that I would stay in cockpit view and if I turned my head to the left I would look out over the left wing? Hence if I had just past a bogey on my left in opposite direction, can I just turn my head to the left and re engage him without any key entries????This would be real world without searching for the right view key and wld it work with my one eye??

Whilst one eye is not totally blind, if too painfull for me to correct, I will fly with it shut just to stop it mucking the other one up. TiR still works fine like it, but will find when you rotate head to keep view centred on a bandit, it can become more problematic when the bad eye would be the one looking square at the monitor. ie for a bogie on your left and right eye is the non worker then it can be more difficult but far from impossible. In theory you can adjust the tracking rate to reduce this but I found it quite disconcerting as the rate changes.

So yes you can use it with one eye just as you describe there.

Your an inspiration, keep safe

Edited by 56RAF_Stickz

Many many many thanks to 56RAF, have spent hours looking for some comment on one eye with no luck at all until you. I am going to order and get back to you on useage.

My bad eye is completely dead, I can see nothing from it!

Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2020 at 4:58 AM, screamingdemon said:

Subsequent studies found that the human eye distinguish up to 25 frames in 1 second. Any more than that the eye cannot see.

God I wish the internet would stop proliferating this garbage. The human eye can perceive persistence of vision to 1000hz or more.  

Oh my... This myth kills me more than any other out there, due to having such a vested interest in PC gaming. This is such a common myth that it honestly makes my head hurt.

I'd like to correct this and if only 4 people walk away after seeing this thread and know better, I'll feel great. I'm going to keep this simple.

Myelinated nerves can fire between 300 to 1000 times per second in the human body and transmit information at 200 miles per hour. What matters here is how frequently these nerves can fire (or "send messages").

The nerves in your eye are not exempt from this limit. Your eyes can physiologically transmit data that quickly and your eyes/brain working together can interpret up to 1000 frames per second.

However, we know from experimenting (as well as simple anecdotal experience) that there is a diminishing return in what frames per second people are able to identify. Although the human eye and brain can interpret up to 1000 frames per second, someone sitting in a chair and actively guessing at how high a framerate is can, on average, interpet up to about 150 frames per second.

The point: 60 fps is not a 'waste'. 120 fps is not a 'waste' (provided you have a 120hz monitor capable of such display). There IS a very noticable difference between 15 fps and 60 fps. Many will say there IS a noticeable difference between 40 and 60 fps. Lastly, the limit of the human eye is NOT as low as 30-60 fps. It's just not.

The origin of the myth: The origin of the myth probably has to do with limitations of television and movies. Movies, when they were recorded on film reel, limited themselves to 24 frames per second for practical purposes. If there is a diminishing return in how many frames people can claim to actually notice, then the visual difference between 24 fps and 60 fps could not justify DOUBLING the amount of film reel required to film a movie.

With the advent of easy digital storage, these limitations are mostly arbitrary anymore.

The numbers often cited as the mythological "maximum" the eye can see are 30 fps, 40 fps, and 60 fps.

I would guess the 60 fps "eye-seeing" limit comes from the fact that most PC monitors (and indeed many televisions now) have a maximum refresh rate of 60hz (or 60 frames per second). If a monitor has that 60 fps limit, the monitor is physically incapable of displaying more than 60 fps. This is one of the purposes of frame limiting, Vsync and adjusting refresh rate in video games.

tl;dr: The human eye can physiologically detect up to 1000 frames per second. The average human, tasked with detecting what framerate he/she is looking at, can accurately guess up to around 150 fps. That is, they can see the difference in framerates all the way to 150 fps.

Phew.

A quote to leave off on:

The USAF, in testing their pilots for visual response time, used a simple test to see if the pilots could distinguish small changes in light. In their experiment a picture of an aircraft was flashed on a screen in a dark room at 1/220th of a second. Pilots were consistently able to "see" the afterimage as well as identify the aircraft. This simple and specific situation not only proves the ability to percieve 1 image within 1/220 of a second, but the ability to interpret higher FPS.

Resources to save myself pain in the future (in addition to citing myself for taking so much biology in college): 1)http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html 2)http://amo.net/nt/05-24-01FPS.html 3)http://www.ualberta.ca/~chrisw/howfast.html 4)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

If there are any biology majors/professors out there reading this and notice any egregious errors, please point them out. I'm not in the game of deceiving people.

Edited by VR-DriftaholiC

To be clear. I can fly po 2 almost wheel to earth with grass on ultra with 39 fps without seeing any stutters at all. FPS in range 40 to 60 is totally acceptable even good enough 

@216 Lusekoft....seems that someone forgot to send your eyes the memo :P. Jokes aside, from an empirical and practical perspective down to 25FPS is playable (based on my experience) and adequate to "fool" your eyes in believing the motion is fluid. Of course if you can afford higher FPS go for it but anything above 40 FPS does not add significantly more value (based on my experience) . 

@VR Driftaholic... thanks for picking up on my incorrect phrasing, frankly I should have used better language to make my point about the 25FPS :friends:

@wildbill 6641

ICONS...Yes, considering your visual issue, the ICONS are the right way for you to start off with.  I used them forever. Only now with the latest game improvements I find that I able to move away from them.here is a link for taking screen shots. 

Screenshots..... Your screenshots are stored in Root directory of the game in a file called "screenshots". You can customise which butto you want to use for screen shots in "settings" (red circle)

2020_6_2__15_13_51.jpg

I have two green numbers top right of screen. 40/150. Am using a valve vr headset. Not sure what both numbers mean.

Thanks ,

Hulldown

1 hour ago, HullDown said:

Not sure what both numbers mean

The upper value is your FPS counter (frames per second) - in your case 40 FPS.

The second value is your FOV in degrees (Field of view) - in your case 150.