Sign in to follow this  
127Tom

Sniper flak by the balloons / indestructible gunners

Posted (edited)

Hi, I noticed after the patch that even though diving in on a balloon very fast from high above
each flak hits so close to the plane it shakes by every flak hit.

And even as you are like 20 meters from the balloon the flak still hits super close. 
Resulting in your plane gets either destroyed or engine dies almost every time.

Also a bit unrealistic they would shoot flak this close to their balloon too as it would burst it.

-----------------------------

And yesterday I was in several encounters with borth AI and player planes that had gunners. I took hundreds of shots into each plane at the gunner location and yet no gunner ever died.
Can you please fix this? 
I see lot of players chooses the planes with gunners and use them as fighters for this reason.
Kind of a cheat really.

Edited by 127Tom
typos

12 hours ago, 127Tom said:

Hi, I noticed after the patch that even though diving in on a balloon very fast from high above
each flak hits so close to the plane it shakes by every flak hit.

And even as you are like 20 meters from the balloon the flak still hits super close. 
Resulting in your plane gets either destroyed or engine dies almost every time.

Also a bit unrealistic they would shoot flak this close to their balloon too as it would burst it.

-----------------------------

And yesterday I was in several encounters with borth AI and player planes that had gunners. I took hundreds of shots into each plane at the gunner location and yet no gunner ever died.
Can you please fix this? 
I see lot of players chooses the planes with gunners and use them as fighters for this reason.
Kind of a cheat really.

Funny, you took out the pilot in just a few shots and in 2 instances my gunner was taken out in no time at all. Try shooting a pilot in a D7F, almost imposable even when you see the hits going into the cockpit. Not only that but when I'm on someone's direct 6 like just a few feet away my guns jam, every time so you can't shoot when that close I presume.

And I agree about the flak is a bit too much even when on my own side my engine was destroyed with combating a DR1 I crashed the DR1 got home safely. 

32 minutes ago, Danneskjold said:

RoF servers full?

By the way Danne, they guy is pretty damn good so be careful and plus that's getting old.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Ok, my memory might be a bit foggy. It was 2 at night and I was a bit tired.
I recorded our fight in the clouds that lasted almost 15 minutes. I will re-watch it and make a video about it :)
Was a very good fight. You got some skills with that plane

Edited by 127Tom

45 minutes ago, 127Tom said:

Ok, my memory might be a bit foggy. It was 2 at night and I was a bit tired.
I recorded our fight in the clouds that lasted almost 15 minutes. I will re-watch it and make a video about it :)
Was a very good fight. You got some skills with that plane

That was McGoun, I came in to help him but you got a short burst into me killing my pilot right away. 

Posted (edited)

That sounds very realistic. 

Balloon busting was very dangerous because the flak gunners knew the exact altitude and range of the balloons they were protecting.  They also had the balloons attached to high speed winches and would lower them at the threat of incoming aircraft.  Pilots would usually pull off at lower altitudes because of the threat of machine guns.  The other difficulty balloon busters had was the fact you needed the right air/fuel mixture inside the balloon to actually ignite it.  Some would pour hundreds of rounds into the balloons with no results.  This is why they experimented with things like rockets, balloon cannons, and incendiary rounds.

This is why you see some pilots were given "ACE" status even if all they ever brought down were observation balloons.  

I'm going to have to try this out :)

Gunners... you need to attack from below or above their firing arc (Below and behind is usually preferred).  If you hop on their direct 6 the gunner (ai or human) doesn't have to lead to hit you.  Not to mention WW1 aircraft only fly 200kph.  They aren't difficult to hit.

You can change your game difficulty.  That should modify the ai skill in SP

Edited by NakedSquirrel
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NakedSquirrel said:

That sounds very realistic. 

Balloon busting was very dangerous because the flak gunners knew the exact altitude and range of the balloons they were protecting.  They also had the balloons attached to high speed winches and would lower them at the threat of incoming aircraft.  Pilots would usually pull off at lower altitudes because of the threat of machine guns.  The other difficulty balloon busters had was the fact you needed the right air/fuel mixture inside the balloon to actually ignite it.  Some would pour hundreds of rounds into the balloons with no results.  This is why they experimented with things like rockets, balloon cannons, and incendiary rounds.

This is why you see some pilots were given "ACE" status even if all they ever brought down were observation balloons.  

I'm going to have to try this out :)

Gunners... you need to attack from below or above their firing arc (Below and behind is usually preferred).  If you hop on their direct 6 the gunner (ai or human) doesn't have to lead to hit you.  Not to mention WW1 aircraft only fly 200kph.  They aren't difficult to hit.

You can change your game difficulty.  That should modify the ai skill in SP

Utter bullcrap. No matter what angle or height you attack from the flak is sniping. If you would attack from let say the germans side of the balloons, the guns would need to re adjust.
Also even if you dive in from very high almost over the balloon the flak is sniping. This will also result in no-one bother to attack the balloons now and just go for the planes.
I haven't seen one balloon attack after this change. Before it was fun to hover around your own balloons to see if players came to attack them. Now it's a ghost town.
Also the rate of flak is way too fast. They use WW2 flak it seems. 

I guess I've been extremely lucky that the flak hasn't got me yet during a balloon attack. Has something really changed since the 4.006?

On 5/30/2020 at 7:08 PM, 127Tom said:

Also the rate of flak is way too fast. They use WW2 flak it seems. 

WW3 actually (Sizzlor told me so)

• Haha 1