Sign in to follow this  
blitze

Thank you thread for great VR experience

As the title says.  I know I have my fan club here but I just wanted to show my appreciation for Il2 and the experience it gives especially in VR.

Thank you to the Developers for making this happen and the constant improvements you bring with every update.

It is my number 1 go to VR title and aside from being shot down by AI or humans - I keep coming back - daily 😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

:good:

Yep same here, IL-2 GB in VR is pure awesomeness. Love, love, love it!

I too love the VR experience in IL2. Aside from the guilty pleasure of WoW Classic, it is literally the only video game I have played for the last two years. 

I have been loving the experience a lot less lately, though. Looking forward to the day that I can once again ID contacts before I am approximately 1km away from them. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

yup!

its superb in VR. i now Twitch it regularly just to show folk.

keep up the great work!

Posted (edited)

Yes I agree. GB was the one making me fly with VR

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
I derailed the intention of this teead
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

And what they say is simply not true

I have a 1090 ti card and Rift S and have since starting with Rift S found spotting and identifying in fact much easier. Aiming and hitting ground target much easier

I never used any form for mod.

I really didn’t want to derail this thread but I have to speak up. Please do not misrepresent the complaint that the multiplayer VR folks are expressing. The problem is not with spotting so much as it is with identification. 

It is extremely difficult to identify aerial targets until you are very close to them in VR with the native 1.5x zoom. I am glad to hear you are not having difficulty with ground attack, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the problems that so many of us are facing.

4 minutes ago, QB.Creep said:

I really didn’t want to derail this thread but I have to speak up. Please do not misrepresent the complaint that the multiplayer VR folks are expressing. The problem is not with spotting so much as it is with identification. 

It is extremely difficult to identify aerial targets until you are very close to them in VR with the native 1.5x zoom. I am glad to hear you are not having difficulty with ground attack, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the problems that so many of us are facing.

Agreed. There's enough FUD being sown on this issue already, we don't need more unintentionally created.

Beyond that, the problem is that the game provides better Observation tools for 2D players than for VR players. Namely, the 2D zoom is better by a massive margin than the VR zoom, and thus the game favours 2D players who have an inherent built-in advantage over VR players. That is what the mod rectified, and that is what VR players are asking be corrected (either by a mod or by fixing the inequality in the game itself).

Thank you.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)

Deleted

Deleting because it dishonor the intention of this tread

Honestly, I'm not sure balancing the recent events is really required. While it definitely doesn't hurt, so I have no issues at all with it, my point is that people's reaction to not being able to play the game temporarily (or rather do their hobby) shows how much we actually appreciate this game. This is not something you get bored with and walk away and chose your next game. This is more than that for everyone. That's why the reactions. I understand those discussions don't send this message very directly, rather they send a bad message for people who don't know what this is about, but I'm sure that is the underlying reason.

• Like 1

Reticule.jpg

I've resized a screenshot of VR and MONITOR full zoom so the reticule is 100 pixels in diameter. the monitor image is the small one. Therefore you can see that the monitor has a far lower FOV at max zoom. (It's actually, (USING 105 mils for the diameter of the reticule) 30 degrees for the monitor and 45 degrees at max zoom)

That's literally the only issue I have.

It may well be an impossibility because of the way it works to make the VR have a 30 degree FOV at max zoom, and I accept that. But it's ok to add to the wish-list.

Everything else is very good, nay, absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, considering the limitations of technology.

I seriously would suggest keeping any discussion on that topic that has previously been locked out of this appreciation thread.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, dburne said:

I seriously would suggest keeping any discussion on that topic that has previously been locked out of this appreciation thread.

Yes it is my fault I delete my post

2 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Reticule.jpg

I've resized a screenshot of VR and MONITOR full zoom so the reticule is 100 pixels in diameter. the monitor image is the small one. Therefore you can see that the monitor has a far lower FOV at max zoom. (It's actually, (USING 105 mils for the diameter of the reticule) 30 degrees for the monitor and 45 degrees at max zoom)

That's literally the only issue I have.

It may well be an impossibility because of the way it works to make the VR have a 30 degree FOV at max zoom, and I accept that. But it's ok to add to the wish-list.

Everything else is very good, nay, absolutely brilliant, in my opinion, considering the limitations of technology.

Good post.

And to be clear, that IS the only issue. 2D players have a significantly better zoom provided by the game. This means they have an Observation edge over VR players, and it is baked in the game itself. Thus, VR players are inherently at a disadvantage over 2D players, regardless of display resolution.

In a competitive setting, it relegates them to being second tier, because at LEAST half the fight is about position and decision making before engaging in the first place. There's a reason Observation is the first step of the OODA loop.

That's what the mod rectified. Granted, it had functionality that went too far, BUT those had been disabled and removed in the latest version of the mod. Thus, the mod would remain a valuable tool that serves to remove this inequality between VR and 2D players... and that's why people really want this mod. So we can play the game competitively, while knowing we are no longer at an inherent disadvantage.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Yankee_ said:

Good post.

And to be clear, that IS the only issue. 2D players have a significantly better zoom provided by the game. This means they have an Observation edge over VR players, and it is baked in the game itself. Thus, VR players are inherently at a disadvantage over 2D players, regardless of display resolution.

In a competitive setting, it relegates them to being second tier, because at LEAST half the fight is about position and decision making before engaging in the first place. There's a reason Observation is the first step of the OODA loop.

That's what the mod rectified. Granted, it had functionality that went too far, BUT those had been disabled and removed in the latest version of the mod. Thus, the mod would remain a valuable tool that serves to remove this inequality between VR and 2D players... and that's why people really want this mod. So we can play the game competitively, while knowing we are no longer at an inherent disadvantage.

Absolutely but things like the word good are subjective. FOV is a concrete measurable factor. The FOV I'm sure is referred to in the game files in sure as VR max zoom is 30 degrees. But it is not in my experience. That could even explain why Jason says it is, because the game itself reference it as 30 degrees, but I have a large amount of professional training in using periscopes, cameras and sextants for navigation and recon, so believe me when I say,  for whatever reason, my rift is only at 45 degrees horizontal fov when fully zoomed.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

Why, it's on topic. I'm saying I agree with the op, but there's this one issue. It's constructively and doesn't mention, on my side at least, any pre existing mods

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Absolutely but things like the word good are subjective. FOV is a concrete measurable factor. The FOV I'm sure is referred to in the game files in sure as VR max zoom is 30 degrees. But it is not in my experience. That could even explain why Jason says it is, because the game itself reference it as 30 degrees, but I have a large amount of professional training in using periscopes, cameras and sextants for navigation and recon, so believe me when I say,  for whatever reason, my rift is only at 45 degrees horizontal fov when fully zoomed.

I agree with you.... I really wish the developers instead of locking threads come up with a real solution because the VR comunity is not happy....we should not be handicapped.... In just a year purchased all maps to help support this game...and since I play only in VR now I feel let down...I can not ID any planes util they are right there shooting at me....the way the native vr zoom works its only good for nearby and instruments...We need the mod or an improvement...this will not go away just deleting threads and comments

Edited by =OPFR=Glez
  • Upvote 1

Yep here it goes.

Have fun gang...

• Upvote 1

TY Devs! I am a  flight sim fan who grew up playing 1943 Pacific air war and other titles through the years, along with IL-2 on a screen. When I got my OG rift I truly underestimated how amazing VR flying would be! 
  I know a lot older history buffs through work who will never own a gaming machine or flight sim. I have blown the minds of many of them with the experience you have provided by letting them climb into their favorite warbirds from history. 

so again ty for your work and supporting VR 

I'm blown away a zoom fix was delivered so quickly. This is by far the best flight sim in VR. Looking forward what they deliver next.

A big thank you to the development team!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VR-DriftaholiC said:

I'm blown away a zoom fix was delivered so quickly. This is by far the best flight sim in VR. Looking forward what they deliver next.

A big thank you to the development team!

Knowing this is 1CGS that should come as no surpise.

I figured they would do something fairly quickly.

I don’t know, I’m getting better FPS at a slightly higher in-game graphics setting since the last update. Thank you, Devs. 
And zoom fix? Is there a new one since the last time I played on Wednesday?

As I gave up on MP long ago the "competitive edge" discussion rings hollow to me. I love the game atmospherics in VR and am happy just flying QMB's and doing circuits of airfields with wind and turbulence effects enabled. Thankfully my Index is not having any problems with game updates thus far. The constant updates help keep this series feeling "alive".

37 minutes ago, BP_Lizard said:

I don’t know, I’m getting better FPS at a slightly higher in-game graphics setting since the last update. Thank you, Devs. 
And zoom fix? Is there a new one since the last time I played on Wednesday?

Hotfix 4.006d just came out last night with improved VR zoom and a few more fixes for AMD drivers. It does seem to cause some issues involving FOV for some headsets. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, dburne said:

Knowing this is 1CGS that should come as no surpise.

I figured they would do something fairly quickly.

Hi mate,

I am a bit confused. I feel VR restriction behave a little different now. Looking down by forward pitch of head I get a bit quicker stop and then tge universe move with the head. Same with leaning forward. Limitation stop the movement and then follow the movement

I know you get the rift s 

1 hour ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Hi mate,

I am a bit confused. I feel VR restriction behave a little different now. Looking down by forward pitch of head I get a bit quicker stop and then tge universe move with the head. Same with leaning forward. Limitation stop the movement and then follow the movement

I know you get the rift s 

I would not know if anything has changed in the VR head restriction in cockpit, as I do not fly with it enabled.

Perhaps someone else with Rift S that does can chime in on this.

I feel very fortunate to be able to use VR in IL-2. Of the flight sims I am aware of IL-2 has the best VR implementation. For me it is a real joy to sit in a very realistic looking Spifire cockpit and look out at the world. Half Life Alyx which is also pretty amazing, it is not a flight sim of course, then another flight sim has some OK VR implementation but not as good as in IL-2 in my opinion. The Devs have done a cracking job! 

Had some great fun flying PWCG Campaign this afternoon.

1CGS has done an awesome job with VR for sure.

Just now, dburne said:

Had some great fun flying PWCG Campaign this afternoon.

1CGS has done an awesome job with VR for sure.

ditto!

Posted (edited)

Realized I hadn't dropped a review for this game on steam yet. If anyone hasn't yet I'm sure it couldn't hurt to give the game the 'ole thumbs up and describe how good the VR experience can be 😄

Edited by VR-DriftaholiC

Posted (edited)

Flying GB in VR since the beginning .First with oculus ruft cv1, since one year, with pimax 5kplus ,LOVE IT. In the beginning, i was the only one in our squad,now 4 out of 6 pilots flying VR! THX TO THE DEVS SALUTE

Edited by II/JG11ATLAN_VR