Sign in to follow this  
Mysticpuma

Looking for advice to remove Warthog 'sticktion'.

Hi everyone. So here is my question if anyone can advise me please.
A few years back I had a Thrustmaster Cougar which I had modified to have a Gimbal and Hall Sensors, it was, to be honest, the best, smoothest stick I have ever used until finally it died.
Having been impressed with Thrustmaster I then ordered the Warthog, which is certainly a solid piece of kit.... but....... the 'sticktion" is frustrating me beyond belief.
I only fly WW2 Combat Flight Sims and getting in close and shooting accurately while working around the centre point of the Warthog is doing me noodle in!

So currently is there anything that other users can recommend so that I can get the stick nice and smooth when it comes to operating it for the intricate movements?

Links would be great along with prices, cheers, MP

extention can help

• Like 1

I lubricated mine with silicon grease, its a bit of a dust magnet and there will still be sticktion on the center point of the gimbal but i find that it reduces the plastic on plastic friction noticeably making operation smoother.

If you require even more precision,you could look into modding the warthog with a weaker gimbal spring or getting a stick extension to make it easier to push past the "center zone"

If your interested in a stick extension , one of our fellow forums denizen is selling those but I'm not being paid to advertise his products so do shop around.

https://warthog-extensions-by-sahaj.com/

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mysticpuma said:

Hi everyone. So here is my question if anyone can advise me please.
A few years back I had a Thrustmaster Cougar which I had modified to have a Gimbal and Hall Sensors, it was, to be honest, the best, smoothest stick I have ever used until finally it died.
Having been impressed with Thrustmaster I then ordered the Warthog, which is certainly a solid piece of kit.... but....... the 'sticktion" is frustrating me beyond belief.
I only fly WW2 Combat Flight Sims and getting in close and shooting accurately while working around the centre point of the Warthog is doing me noodle in!

So currently is there anything that other users can recommend so that I can get the stick nice and smooth when it comes to operating it for the intricate movements?

Links would be great along with prices, cheers, MP

I had a saitek x52 pro once which had bad sticktion. I tried several lubricants from wd-40 to silicon grease. All helped a bit temporarily but made it worse in a couple of hours.

Finally I found a product - Nyogel damping grease (they have several products actually) which worked like a dream. No more sticktion and even gave a nice hidraulic feel to the stick. It's quite pricey but one tube will probably be enough for your grandchildren too.

But also note that I never had the warthog so I cannot be sure the sticktion is the same as it was with the saitek.

• Like 1

Hi MP,

I don't have a Warthog but when I was considering getting one I came across this:

• Like 1

I finally gave up on Thrustmaster after 15 years of Cougar and Warthog frustrations and bought a Virpil VPC WarBRD base.

Currently using the WarBRD base with the Cougar handle and it works like a dream. I couldn't be happier with the outcome and it is giving me my best plane control experience ever.

• Like 2

I have used MolyKote / 44 medium from dow Corning on all my warthogs.

Works great and wont damage any plastics

• Like 1

Extension plus a VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base.

von Tom

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Heya MP,

yes, the warthog stiffness is a real nuisance... or a huge blessing when you use an extension. What it is too much without, it is just right with. There was a way to mod it by removing the big centering spring and inverting the cap springs over the gimbal (so the cap presses down on the stick when the cover is put on) which ends up with a pretty noodly stick but workable. I advise against that as it might damage components over time.

Do yourself a favour and get an extension because that will get you the max out of the great resolution the hall sensors afford you.

And once that is done, get real dirty and do stuff like this:

YlcG6De.jpg

Edited by Mauf
  • Like 1

Best way to deal with this Warthog stiction issue is buy a VirPil WarBRD base, more suitable for WWII CFS than VirPil MoongosT50 CM2 base.

Warhog grip is compatible with VirPil bases, what gimbals ins made in metal, with bearings in pivots (simiular do old Cougar UberNXT gimbal) and better, use CAM for centering, what you allow customize, changing springs, CAM profiles, setting the center position, more defined or more soft.

Anyway the palliative for warthog stiction is disassemble the gimbal, sand gimbal ball imperfections and lubricate with Nyogel 767-A, a damper grease.

See this Jabber's (joystick reviewer) video:

• Like 1

Thanks all of you. Will start investigating options, cheers, MP

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sokol1 said:

... buy a VirPil WarBRD base, more suitable for WWII CFS than VirPil MoongosT50 CM2 

I’m curious why you think that. I can understand one being suitable as a desktop joystick and the other on a mount, but on a mount with an extension my Mongoos base is excellent. 

@Mysticpuma My opinion of the VPC/VIRPIL  base is that you don’t get an immediate “wow” moment but after an hour you realise everything is smoother and more accurate and that there are incremental improvements over the Warthog in every aspect. 

The only frustrating thing is the initial setup. If you do go down this route I recommend the Aviasim cams - soft centre for elevator and no centre for ailerons is my choice. Strong springs. 

You can still use TARGET too. The only potential downside with the Mongoos base is that you need a desk mount and then a desk mount for your throttle if you don’t have one already. The T50CM2 throttle is a big improvement over the Warthog throttle too. 

von Tom

ps. Downside 2 = £££££££

Edited by von_Tom