Sign in to follow this  
LukeFF

Authorized aircraft strength for RAF squadrons

During the war, did the RAF stipulate how many aircraft a squadron could have on hand? I have seen the term "squadron strength" being 12 planes, but were units allowed to have spare aircraft and if so, how many typically was this?

Usually 20-22 aircraft for fighter squadrons, 12 being the operational aircraft that flew tactical missions, the rest being reserves/spares. 

• Thanks 1

More specifically, for the ~Normandy period, for ADGB and 2nd TAF, 1st of May 1944.

16+2 aircraft, though in practice I have never seen more than 12 flying at one time. Even that is rare. Earlier 12+1 sorties occured (+1 being tail end Charlie)

Bombers had different IE and some certain 2nd TAF documents state 20 a/c per Squadrons, so perhaps that was sometime non-official practice with extra reserves.

2ndTAF44May1.png

ADGB44MAy1.png

Fighter Command as of January 1944.

RAF_fighter_reorg_jan_44_2.thumb.jpg.abfaf87ea36eed489d8e6d8f49e91428.jpg

Coastal Command, May 1944.

CCom44May1.png

• Thanks 1

On 5/26/2020 at 2:36 AM, LukeFF said:

During the war, did the RAF stipulate how many aircraft a squadron could have on hand? I have seen the term "squadron strength" being 12 planes, but were units allowed to have spare aircraft and if so, how many typically was this?

Here's a snapshot of Mosquito squadron strength and Group assignment on 6 June 1944. The blue highlights are the squadrons equipped with the FB Mk VI that is currently planned for BoN. The source is a map in Mosquito by C. Martin Sharp and Michael J.F. Bowyer.

1808294400_D-DayMosquitoAOB.thumb.jpg.c0b5b5ea6890b5e9f2907360a6187159.jpg

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Here's a nice spreadsheet detailing the RAF during WWII, all Squadrons, aircraft types and general location with date. No aircraft strengths unfortunately, but comprehensive other than that. Possibly a good base to work from for anyone with an interest.

Authors name is Greg Appleyard. I can't remember where I got this and a quick net search turned up nothing. I just ran into an old hard drive full of stuff, much of it from over 10 years ago. I'm going to put up the better stuff as I get time.

A cool photo of a Whirlwind re-fuelling was in the folder with the spreadsheet, so they might as well stay together here :)

fa_18468s.jpg.79d3f2ef085d034a8169f064ee91076e.jpg

RAF_OrderOfBattle.zip

Edited by Pict