Bernard_IV

Who has the most days spent in VR and are you going blind?

Steam counts the hours you've played so I'm at 553 hours = 23 days staring into my headset.  My eyes are still working fine at least. 😅

I'm at 533 hours plus a little DCS time. I didn't have any significant change in my last eye exam about 5 months ago, but my eyes haven't changed much over my life

I figure it can't be good for your eyes, but I'm banking on implants or some other technological change obviating my need for these eyeballs before VR wears them out. 🤞

It's better for the eyes than monitors.

Sitting 30-40cm from a monitor is close range. In VR, you look at 1m-1.5m on average.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Debatable due to resolution, backlighting, heat and lenses. I'd just say at best they're all just as harmful.

If the playtime is in stints, you blink normally and don't just stare wide-eyed all the time and you take adequate breaks it should be OK.

Well I don't run Steam version so I do not have an hour counter.

However I have spent no telling how many hours flying IL-2 in VR.

Once I started flying IL-2 when they officially released VR support to today, there are not many weeks go by that I have no spent many hours each week 

flying it in VR.

I dont fear for my eyes but I had once a little bit problems with the pressure on the face.

I've got bluelight protected glasses lense inserts for my Rift S..they are amazing and I don't have to wear my glasses anymore as they are my prescription.  Can pop them on and off and switch them over to my Quest as well.

I also wear Blue Light protecting glasses when I'm on my monitor.

Just remember to blink occasionally, you’ll be fine. That applies for monitor use as well by the way.

I had a pre-order Vive (delivered May 2016) before I moved on to Pimax.

SteamVR says I have 4500 hours but that includes my kids and guests (quite rare though) plus the occasional "running in the background while not gaming" so I think it's fair to knock off at least 20%, let's call it a very conservative 3000 hours for myself. Out of this, roughly half was spent in a Vive, half of it on a Pimax 5K+.

The only change in my eyesight (which is 25/20 as I had laser eye surgery 9 years ago) was that I recently started to have trouble reading small things up close but since I've turned 40 this year, that's simply me getting old (presbyopia), confirmed by an optician (went for a check to make sure before I applied for a PPL).

So i think it's safe to say that my eyesight was not affected by 4 years of regular VR use.

On 5/26/2020 at 9:45 PM, Gomoto said:

I dont fear for my eyes but I had once a little bit problems with the pressure on the face.

I hope you told her to go away, that you were busy gaming.

get the blue light blocking lens inserts and you won't have to worry anymore about your eyesight health

On 5/26/2020 at 12:19 PM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Sitting 30-40cm from a monitor is close range. In VR, you look at 1m-1.5m on average.

Well, I can see best at 40-80cm with artificial lenses which works OK for pancake mode with 80cm distance to the screen. In VR, everything is blurry and I have a hard time even focussing things properly. I tried to figure out which distances to see sharp would be good for VR and apparently it was just like seeing far, so you'd take the usual glasses that are not for reading. Since I don't have some, I did the maths myself and bought lenses that correct my sharpest vision to 4m (next .25 step would have been infinite) and I can see the SDE on both eyes - mission accomplished.

Been using VR for flying for over a year now and I haven't had any degradation of my eyesight - and I have it checked every 3 months.

spend many hours setting up my reverb pro vr, im glad, and i would be more glad if i could better performance, like before the latest small patch

VR? I don’t fear for my eyes. I fear for my marriage 🤔

• Upvote 1

I think my near eyesight has gotten worse after using HP Reverb for an hour or so (with frequent breaks).

I suppose it might have been caused by "accommodation/convergence" conflict where your eyes focus on an object which appears distant in your mind but in reality that object is only a few centimeters in front of you. Anyway I am mostly staying away from my Reverb now because of that eyesight-degradation-fear and also because the performance and gameplay is subpar/limited.

I've got 1524 hours on IL-2 in vr(combined oculus rift, vive pro, pimax 5k+, index, back to vive pro lens mod). So far did not notice reduction in vision.

22 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

I think my near eyesight has gotten worse after using HP Reverb for an hour or so (with frequent breaks).

I suppose it might have been caused by "accommodation/convergence" conflict where your eyes focus on an object which appears distant in your mind but in reality that object is only a few centimeters in front of you. Anyway I am mostly staying away from my Reverb now because of that eyesight-degradation-fear and also because the performance and gameplay is subpar/limited.

I'm getting solid 80-90 frames with my Reverb on sort of bare bones graphics settings and it is great.  What is your CPU and CPU frequency?  DRAM speed?  Also what graphics card do you have?

6 minutes ago, Bernard_IV said:

I'm getting solid 80-90 frames with my Reverb on sort of bare bones graphics settings and it is great.  What is your CPU and CPU frequency?  DRAM speed?  Also what graphics card do you have?

I have i3-8350k at 4.6, 32GB RAM at 3200 and RTX2080TI. The system is stable and runs well without VR, however with HP Reverb I cannot maintain 90fps without re-projection at Ultra shadows and High clouds (sorry but both are a must for me). So I hover around 60-68fps at those settings even in QMB, the career is significantly slower.

I am thinking about building a new system around i5-10600K to hopefully address my relatively weak CPU.

You could overclock that CPU up a bit to 4.8 or better but you won't benefit from a newer CPU as the game doesn't take advantage of the additional cores and your current CPU will overclock high if you can cool it.  You are probably maxing out the GPU with the high graphics and will need one of the next gen graphics cards coming out later this year to get what you want.  My graphics are pretty bad but I'm all about being competitive in multiplayer.

6 hours ago, [Pb]RedeyeStorm said:

What’s a monitor?

Lol:salute:

On 5/26/2020 at 8:30 AM, AuburnAlumni said:

I've got bluelight protected glasses lense inserts for my Rift S..they are amazing and I don't have to wear my glasses anymore as they are my prescription.  Can pop them on and off and switch them over to my Quest as well.

I also wear Blue Light protecting glasses when I'm on my monitor.

Blue light is over marketed. It's only a problem if the sun is what you are looking at 😆

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effects_of_blue_light_technology