vonrickenbecker

VRSimpits.com -- WW1 Peripherals, Accessories, and More!

Hello All!

As some of you have likely seen on the forum over the past few months, I've developed a replica Sopwith joystick grip of which I have now sold numerous copies. Due to the enthusiastic response the SopGrip has received from all of you in the community, I have decided to expand my work into a more full-fledged endeavor. Thus, it is my pleasure to introduce you to vrsimpits.com, my new web shop for WW1 flight simulation hardware of all kinds! I've already posted about this in the hardware section of the forum, but given the WW1-focus of my endeavor, I wanted to post here as well.

1789529665_LogoV1.thumb.png.e4c0b9d9fa85db434ae942f149afb3e4.png

I am currently still offering the SopGrip MK1, and in the coming months I will be adding a Sopwith rudder bar and throttle quadrant, and that's just the beginning! I have many ideas for new accessories that I'm very excited about and hope to bring to you in the near future. For more details, check out my development log HERE, and feel free to discuss, pose questions, or submit comments in the thread linked below! 

Blue skies and good hunting!

-vonrickenbecker

• Like 6
  • Upvote 5

Re the Sopwith rudder bar, is it going to be this design similar to that rendered in the RoF Pup and Triplane and used in the real Camel, or will it be the design rendered in the Rof and FC Camels, which is a different design whose provenance seems unclear?

11 minutes ago, Cynic_Al said:

Re the Sopwith rudder bar, is it going to be this design similar to that rendered in the RoF Pup and Triplane and used in the real Camel, or will it be the design rendered in the Rof and FC Camels, which is a different design whose provenance seems unclear?

Hey Cynic, it is closer to the design you linked (Pup/Tripe). The profile of the rudder bar itself is made to exact specifications from actual Pup technical drawings (see photo). For obvious reasons there will be a few differences between my rudder and the original, for instance no control wires running back to the rudder horns as in the real aircraft, and the addition of spring/cam system and Hall sensor unit. Thanks!

964517224_RudderBarDrawing.thumb.PNG.c5b197254ac816cb9241b439435121d4.PNG

7 hours ago, vonrickenbecker said:

Hey Cynic, it is closer to the design you linked (Pup/Tripe). The profile of the rudder bar itself is made to exact specifications from actual Pup technical drawings (see photo). For obvious reasons there will be a few differences between my rudder and the original, for instance no control wires running back to the rudder horns as in the real aircraft, and the addition of spring/cam system and Hall sensor unit. Thanks!

Well I certainly look forward to seeing the finished product, particularly your implementation of the unit's base.

• Like 1

Here's my first version of a Sopwith rudder bar- pre electronics.

Soprudder4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Good stuff, VonR.  Too bad we couldn't make your Sopstick work with my old equipment.  Wish we had.  From what I've seen, your quality is excellent.

You know I'm building a Dr.1 pod and my approach is different from yours; I'm building scale replica parts that will mechanically interact with my existing PC Flight Controllers.  Chill gave me a set of Dr.1 plans and I recently bought a 1/2 scale kit of the stick and rudder bar assembly for reference.

I'm not thinking of producing these parts for sale; doubt they'd work for anyone else.  Just building the pod for personal enjoyment.  

On the stick: the throttle, blip, triggers, and a few other game-necessary buttons will be built into the head.  

On the pilot's left, the mixture lever will switch-operate the sim's designated mixture keys.  

(The Fuel On-Off valve on the left and the spring-loaded "emergency" lever on the right will be present but inoperative as their function is not represented in FC1.)   

To cock the guns, I'll reach up and manually-cycle the cocking lever on a scratch-build replica Spandau 08 receiver.

I tested my first prototype of the Dr.1 rudder bar last week.  It was sloppy.  That part needs to be built with strength, precision, and have some means of controllable friction if one wants to replicate the feel of a real cable and pulley flight control system.  I'm going with a concealed pillow-block bearing and matching shaft; a torque-nut eliminates the use of springs to simulate friction.

Anyway, making progress on my project and wishing you luck with yours.

Prosit!

DR1 CONTROLS.jpg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, MollyMaguire said:

Initially I had trouble rationalising this design.  The bike headset providing an overhead pivot is fine,  but I assume the purpose of all that other metalwork, including what looks like a dumbbell, is to retain the whole unit in place during use.  Either way wouldn't it be more practical were its dimensions to allow it to be sited permanently under a desk, still without having to attach it to anything?

Edited by Cynic_Al

6 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

I'm building scale replica parts that will mechanically interact with my existing PC Flight Controllers

After all the work that clearly has gone into your project, it would be nothing short of a tragedy to see it coupled to a PC joystick using pushrods or the like.  If you have a basic knowledge of electrics and soldering,  the parts, software and assistance to do the job properly are freely available.

7 hours ago, MollyMaguire said:

Soprudder4.jpeg

Beautiful job @MollyMaguire! Bonus points for creative re-use of bicycle bearing :) 

7 hours ago, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Good stuff, VonR.  Too bad we couldn't make your Sopstick work with my old equipment.  Wish we had.  From what I've seen, your quality is excellent.

You know I'm building a Dr.1 pod and my approach is different from yours; I'm building scale replica parts that will mechanically interact with my existing PC Flight Controllers.  Chill gave me a set of Dr.1 plans and I recently bought a 1/2 scale kit of the stick and rudder bar assembly for reference.

I'm not thinking of producing these parts for sale; doubt they'd work for anyone else.  Just building the pod for personal enjoyment.  

On the stick: the throttle, blip, triggers, and a few other game-necessary buttons will be built into the head.  

On the pilot's left, the mixture lever will switch-operate the sim's designated mixture keys.  

(The Fuel On-Off valve on the left and the spring-loaded "emergency" lever on the right will be present but inoperative as their function is not represented in FC1.)   

To cock the guns, I'll reach up and manually-cycle the cocking lever on a scratch-build replica Spandau 08 receiver.

I tested my first prototype of the Dr.1 rudder bar last week.  It was sloppy.  That part needs to be built with strength, precision, and have some means of controllable friction if one wants to replicate the feel of a real cable and pulley flight control system.  I'm going with a concealed pillow-block bearing and matching shaft; a torque-nut eliminates the use of springs to simulate friction.

Prosit!

DR1 CONTROLS.jpg

Wow, an ambitious and impressive project @Todt_Von_Oben! Good on you. I have likewise found rigidity of the rudder bar pivot to be a challenge. I have a bearing system that seems to work okay, but I will probably tweak it a bit more before I'm satisfied with it. 

Cynic:

I was looking for portability when I built that. I am going to chop off a big portion of that tail and attach it to my 'floorboard' with wingnuts so i can still knock it down when forced to..  'permanently mounted' isn't a viable option..

5 hours ago, MollyMaguire said:

Cynic:

I was looking for portability when I built that. I am going to chop off a big portion of that tail and attach it to my 'floorboard' with wingnuts so i can still knock it down when forced to.. 

Having it on a baseboard  (if that's what you mean) should give you more options, but if you want to discuss this further in future, there's already a relevant thread in the hardware section.

Posted (edited)
On 5/27/2020 at 8:48 AM, Todt_Von_Oben said:

Prosit!

DR1 CONTROLS.jpg

If you want realistic feel in the Dr1 rudder bar, no springs!

I tried my sopgrip attached to a TM Warthog today.  VERY cool!  The Sopgrip is different from the MS Sw FFB I normally use, and it is a bit different from the Dr1 grip in my Fokker Dr1...BUT! What an awesome addition to the immersion! I felt like I had a WWI control stick in my hand!  I say that because they are very different from the modern grips we use today.  They don't fit as well in your hand, and they have trigger levers that won't fit neatly under your index finger. 

If you want a sense of WWI in your hand, I list it as a must have.

Edited by Chill31

Thanks for your comment @Chill31! That feedback is great to hear, especially from someone so familiar with real WW1 craft!

Per your comments on the rudder bar -- are felt rudder forces really that light on the real aircraft? I would have thought that big, fully-hinged rudder would put some substantial forces on the rudder bar! I

2 hours ago, vonrickenbecker said:

Thanks for your comment @Chill31! That feedback is great to hear, especially from someone so familiar with real WW1 craft!

Per your comments on the rudder bar -- are felt rudder forces really that light on the real aircraft? I would have thought that big, fully-hinged rudder would put some substantial forces on the rudder bar! I

Only on aircraft with a flying rudder, ie. no vertical stabilizer, such as the Dr1. (The Dr1 has no force feedback in the rudder until you get very high deflection. Then is has NEGATIVE force feedback where it takes pressure to re-center the bar.) Other aircraft (Camel) should have positive rudder force feed back though.

• Thanks 1

Testing the prototype Tampier Quadrant in IL2! Very nearly done now, just a couple of small manufacturing details to work out before it will be available for purchase!

• Like 4

Need to mark NSFW (Not Safe For Work) on that sweet leg action! 🤣

Great stuff you are doing.

• Haha 1

Dang, I knew I shouldn't have worn shorts for filming! 🤣 

Thanks for the compliment Talbot! Means a lot to see others excited about the project.

On 9/22/2020 at 3:44 AM, vonrickenbecker said:

Testing the prototype Tampier Quadrant in IL2! Very nearly done now, just a couple of small manufacturing details to work out before it will be available for purchase!

Well done, mate, nice video and gorgeous hardware you produced - BUT, do me a favour, please! No more videos with shorts!!! I hate shorts and I don't want

to see any hairy legs! Damn it!

• Haha 1

Don't listen to this prude ^

Side note, would love to see some attachments for MFG crosswinds, like a legit rudder bar.

Edited by US93_Talbot
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, US93_Talbot said:

Don't listen to this prude ^

Side note, would love to see some attachments for MFG crosswinds, like a legit rudder bar.

I actually have a rudder bar in the works as well, it will be the next release once the Tampier is finished. It will be a self-contained unit, and I am planning to use a similar cam system to that found on the Crosswind. Is that what you are looking for? 

1 hour ago, THERION said:

Well done, mate, nice video and gorgeous hardware you produced - BUT, do me a favour, please! No more videos with shorts!!! I hate shorts and I don't want

to see any hairy legs! Damn it!

Haha, for future videos I will wear officer's breeches, putties, and regulation boots :salute:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, vonrickenbecker said:

I actually have a rudder bar in the works as well, it will be the next release once the Tampier is finished. It will be a self-contained unit, and I am planning to use a similar cam system to that found on the Crosswind. Is that what you are looking for? 

Haha, for future videos I will wear officer's breeches, putties, and regulation boots :salute:

Yeah but as an aftermarket item that one could swap into MFG's.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, US93_Talbot said:

Yeah but as an aftermarket item that one could swap into MFG's.

Ah, I see, thanks! I'll look into that.

Making good progress on the Tampier quadrant, just a couple of production details remaining to work out before launch! Because this progress is in the background and doesn't make for exciting reading, I thought I would give you a quick tour of VRSimpits.com headquarters, aka my little workshop. hope you enjoy the tour!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 4

Thanks for the tour, Very nice. Ever look into a resin printer? The Elegoo Mars is not bad for the price, might speed things up a bit. Though I hear they're a bit stinky. I use the ender 3 pro, very nice little printer for half the price of the prusa.

I can see you having a nice little print farm going soon enough. And congrats on having an awesome wife, 

Great uniform man! Great video and very nice set up!

Needed more leg.Minus 3 points.

• Haha 1

Man! Living the dream and making that dream work for you. Very impressive and I wish you the best of luck with your exciting venture. 

I will take back Talby's minus 3 points and up it with plus 6 points for your luxuriant and well groomed hair cut to RFC regulations. As you would know rickenbecker it's an essential part (no pun) of being a glamorous and dashing WW1 pilot and obviously played a huge role in attracting your good wife.

I don't need to see your legs again.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Very nice stuff do you plan to cover extensions for other ww1 planes as well? Hoping for something Albatros or Fokker D.VII related...

Edited by J99_Sizzlorr
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, J99_Sizzlorr said:

Very nice stuff do you plan to cover extensions for other ww1 planes as well? Hoping for something Albatros or Fokker D.VII related...

I do indeed! An Albatros grip is one that I very much want to make once I complete the Sopwith set. If you have any leads on drawings etc. I'd appreciate anything I can find, Albatros info is hard to come by!

• Upvote 1

On 10/7/2020 at 12:37 PM, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

Thanks for the tour, Very nice. Ever look into a resin printer? The Elegoo Mars is not bad for the price, might speed things up a bit. Though I hear they're a bit stinky. I use the ender 3 pro, very nice little printer for half the price of the prusa.

I can see you having a nice little print farm going soon enough. And congrats on having an awesome wife, 

Thanks Thomson! I have looked into resin printers in the past, but I'm sure they are much more capable (and much cheaper) now, so I may need to revisit them. Hmm, where to add another printer, must be able to find some space somewhere... :)

The Ender 3 is certainly a great printer, especially for the price! The Prusas I am using are actually second-hand, kindly donated by an old friend who's company used them for making end-use parts, and upgraded to newer generation printers. It was quite a gift and has made production much easier!

And yes, my wife is awesome, as evidenced by all of my workshop shenanigans that she puts up with! :)

7 hours ago, vonrickenbecker said:

Hmm, where to add another printer, must be able to find some space somewhere... :)

Turf the missus out. She'll understand.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ST_Catchov said:

Turf the missus out. She'll understand.

Tell her to pack her bags and that there is a taxi waiting. She will think that you're taking her on vacation. Bolt the door as soon she steps outside.

• Haha 1

It does seem a little tight for extra space, maybe sell one of the prusa's and get 2 small resin printers, You can speed production much more with resin printers compare too filament printers and have a much better finished product. But enclose them and filter out the smell. 

I'm almost finished my 600 sq ft workshop, Just adding a room for my cnc routers, 3d printers and hopefully a laser cutter. Going full robotics. Want too compete with them gina folk (think that's how Trump pronounces it).

Very interested in the pressure pots you have. Something I have looked into the past. What vacuum system do you use?

By the way I have a wife very similar to yours, Meaning one that cares and lets you be you. Best friend a man can ever have. 

On 10/7/2020 at 8:56 AM, vonrickenbecker said:

Making good progress on the Tampier quadrant, just a couple of production details remaining to work out before launch! Because this progress is in the background and doesn't make for exciting reading, I thought I would give you a quick tour of VRSimpits.com headquarters, aka my little workshop. hope you enjoy the tour!

Love the uniform! When we meet at the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous next year, you have to bring it!  I will get you sitting inside a Sopwith Camel for sure.   I'm really looking forward to doing a display with you up there.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chill31 said:

Love the uniform! When we meet at the Dawn Patrol Rendezvous next year, you have to bring it!  I will get you sitting inside a Sopwith Camel for sure.   I'm really looking forward to doing a display with you up there.  

Sounds fantastic, looking forward to it!!