Sign in to follow this  
Boomerang

WWII UBOAT SIMULATOR

U-Boat Sim, (free alpha), or you can donate.

Looking good, great to see more WWII Sims in the works 🙂.

Link: http://www.uboatsim.com/

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Wolfpack

Uboat

CrashDive 2

SeaHunter

Wolves of the Atlantic

and now Uboat Sim

There certainly are a lot of games in this genre under development.

• Upvote 1

Looks nice just wish there were more Pacific based sub sims with American fleetboats.

I'll probably pick this up eventually but imo there's already lots of German based sub sims.

Posted (edited)
On 5/26/2020 at 7:45 PM, Legioneod said:

Looks nice just wish there were more Pacific based sub sims with American fleetboats.

I'll probably pick this up eventually but imo there's already lots of German based sub sims.

There is a reason why there are not. Just like they don't make games about africa, 1939 etc. High risk, not many would like it. I think silent hunter 4 had the worst sales of all SH games.

Even when you look at steam, SH3 has 1100 reviews, SH5 has 1600 and SH4 which is sim about americans and pacific has only 495...

People are not interested in it. The only way i can see it happening is as DLC for base game about germans.

Personally i own SH3 and 5, wolfpack, uboat. Skipped SH4 because pacific and americans are not really that fun and i bet there is a lot of people thinking the same.

Edited by InProgress
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have to agree.  SH4 was the only one I didn't buy either.  The US sub service never interested me either.

Its high time the British got a look in though.  The Royal Navy's Submarine Service were up to all kinds of mischief.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Feathered_IV said:

Have to agree.  SH4 was the only one I didn't buy either.  The US sub service never interested me either.

Its high time the British got a look in though.  The Royal Navy's Submarine Service were up to all kinds of mischief.

It in submarine services' nature to be secretive. Perhaps that's why your average joe thinks that the allied submariners were a minor part of the war compared to the German u boat menace which has really embedded itself in our collective psyche.

USN submarines actually sank about the same number of Japanese ships ( including merchant shipping ) as US carrier aircraft and surface warships combined.

But of course the 'importance' of various stages of the war depends on how much hype there was about it. 

You can see it in this game, everyone is crying for a Pacific theatre expansion, because for a lot of people the carrier war (i.e. midway, coral sea and the marianas) *is* the Pacific war. Well that and and a couple of high intensity but relatively small battles on tiny islands.

Thank you Hollywood.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles

It would be good if the option was available to captain a destroyer and hunt u boats as well within these types of sims. Haven't seen anything to date yet?

• Upvote 1

I a

2 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

It in submarine services' nature to be secretive. Perhaps that's why your average joe thinks that the allied submariners were a minor part of the war compared to the German u boat menace which has really embedded itself in our collective psyche.

USN submarines actually sank about the same number of Japanese ships ( including merchant shipping ) as US carrier aircraft and surface warships combined.

But of course the 'importance' of various stages of the war depends on how much hype there was about it. 

You can see it in this game, everyone is crying for a Pacific theatre expansion, because for a lot of people the carrier war (i.e. midway, coral sea and the marianas) *is* the Pacific war. Well that and and a couple of high intensity but relatively small battles on tiny islands.

Thank you Hollywood.

I am well aware about US sub excelkent work in WW 2 and they made movies about it and a lot of docus. But even they where not popular. 
The inhalation of convoys in Atlantic ocean is probably the cause of that. Submarines was well under way to win the war alone. In Norway we lost over half of our fleet and sailors to them. We was one of the biggest merchant ship nations of the world. 

43 minutes ago, Boomerang said:

It would be good if the option was available to captain a destroyer and hunt u boats as well within these types of sims. Haven't seen anything to date yet?

That would be great. I would do that. And relive all the feelings I got for sneaky 109’s in this game  but I really would like that

I got SH5 in 2011, and it was a pretty much okay sim. Wasn't very fond of Objectives in the Career like sinking Capital Ships (especially in the Happy Times chapter), and then whenever you shot down a plane it would all of a sudden turn into Jerry Cans and they would fall into the sea!?

I then got SH4 in the summer of 2012 to see what it was like: it was okay, but I really enjoyed the walk-about mode on SH5. Even though the ships had the ability to capsize after being hit by torpedoes (something limited to only 2 ships in SH5), they capsized pretty much all of the time. Lastly, the port scenery never seemed to change: even in 1944 you'd have the same scenery in Pearl Harbour back in 1941 with the Oklahoma still turtled, and the other battleships still sunk.

The only great advantage in SH4 was that it was pretty much free of bugs, well... annoying bugs, that plagued SH5. Ex. Whenever you surfaced, the game sometimes would still recognize the sub as being underwater, causing CO2 levels to continue rising. There were a few more bugs, but that's the most annoying one I can remember.

I generally enjoyed playing SH4 and SH5; IMO are okay sims. It's really whatever in General is in SH4 is usually not or is lacking/not done well in SH5 and vice versa.

When my PC crashed a number of years ago and lost everything for both games, I didn't reinstall them, was mainly a personal reason (a few years later I reinstalled SH4 for some QMs, but then uninstalled it a few months later).

Silent Hunter is probably the best Submarine/U-Boat sim (for now IMHO).

6 minutes ago, Novice-Flyer said:

I got SH5 in 2011, and it was a pretty much okay sim. Wasn't very fond of Objectives in the Career like sinking Capital Ships (especially in the Happy Times chapter), and then whenever you shot down a plane it would all of a sudden turn into Jerry Cans and they would fall into the sea!?

Get the Wolves of Steel mod, then: https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=210703

15 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

That would be great. I would do that. And relive all the feelings I got for sneaky 109’s in this game  but I really would like that

🙂

On 5/28/2020 at 4:10 AM, InProgress said:

There is a reason why there are not. Just like they don't make games about africa, 1939 etc. High risk, not many would like it. I think silent hunter 4 had the worst sales of all SH games.

Even when you look at steam, SH3 has 1100 reviews, SH5 has 1600 and SH4 which is sim about americans and pacific has only 495...

People are not interested in it. The only way i can see it happening is as DLC for base game about germans.

Personally i own SH3 and 5, wolfpack, uboat. Skipped SH4 because pacific and americans are not really that fun and i bet there is a lot of people thinking the same.

Sh4 was my favorite SH game by far, 5 was probably my second favorite. The American submarine service is probably the most forgotten aspect of the Pacific war even though they sunk over 50% of all Japanese shipping and were a major player in bringing the Japanese to their knees. Even the entire Pacific war is nearly forgotten and overshadowed by Europe even though it saw some of the fiercest fighting that was only rivaled by the eastern front.

Hopefully one day we'll see a modern American sub sim. German Uboats have been done to death.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/29/2020 at 6:01 PM, Legioneod said:

German Uboats have been done to death.

Maybe 10 years ago. Now we have semi sim uboat and early access of wolfpack which is more like a coop game. I would still like to see modern uboot game about atlantic and mediterranean. Something on the il-2 level. Not one guy project.

Edited by InProgress

On 5/28/2020 at 2:08 PM, Boomerang said:

Destroyer command 2002

It could even play multilayer with subs from silent hunter 2.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m really loving the look of this so far! 

Me too, training on different systems to be added as well, how good. 

On 5/25/2020 at 3:45 PM, [DBS]Browning said:

Wolfpack

Uboat

CrashDive 2

SeaHunter

Wolves of the Atlantic

and now Uboat Sim

There certainly are a lot of games in this genre under development.

Oddly, the thing I desire - A WWI submarine simulator where I can try using British classes... British submarines were really interesting in that period. I was hoping that the WWI submarine mod for Silent Hunter would eventually lead to that - but it doesn't seem like it will be released for a few years.

• Like 1

How good, I really like what the Devs are doing with this project.

(there's more than just one person developing now).

2 hours ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

S!

Interesting stuff on the technical side.

:salute:

Agree. The communication and educational ideas appear promising as well. Appreciate the effort, as also mentioned above.

When I first watched that I thought the white dot in the center was a U-boat and they had launched it into space.  

• Haha 1

This is coming along nicely!  I finally got around to starting the engines and getting under way, then controlling the boat with the Automation menu.  Pretty slick.   Can't wait to fire that deck gun!

• Like 1

Certainly keeping interest in the loop to date. Wishing all goes well for this project. It's early days, but it's looking darn interesting.