Hi,

New to IL2 Great Battles after a long, long hiatus (played 2nd gen IL2 a lot - badly). Loving it so much!

Anyone else noticed these foo fighters in the sky since the latest update....only seen in Rhineland map so far. Sorry for the crap screenshot, they go by so fast, they look like vans/trucks etc and should be on the ground obvs! Don't know if its a bug or something, I've only noticed them in offline career mode.

Also, whilst on the subject of offline career mode, what are peoples thoughts about air density. Playing on eastern front I always feel I can justify dense, but playing as allied on western front late 1944 there seems to be a lot of FW190s about on dense..more than I would imagine given the lack of fuel the Germans were suffering from etc. Would dropping this down a notch be a more realistic representation of the number of German planes likely to be encountered at this time? It just seems a bit target rich for that time given what I've read, but i'd happly be corrected!

Thanks, and happy flying

image.thumb.png.a0a6ff84cf4aef90b0399c4e303f2054.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of that is the infamous flying beetles Hitler applied against the hordes of bombers. Pity he firgit to arm them

Luftwaffe experiment on SC1800 alternatives. They sought to use Goering instead but he refused to get inside a bomb casing, opting instead for a luxury vehicle. 

Looks like Goering opted to take his custom built fat boy blue Mercedes roadster.

I'm confused

Oh, you, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, we love you!

Hi AlHoAlHo

I posted this as well over in screenshots and videos. Here's another one. These things are interesting, indeed. I wonder what Fritz is up to. When I first saw one scooting by, I thought 1CGS might have Easter Egged us with an early model doodlebug.

Car.png

Looks like the result of an experimental improbability drive...

"It is important to note that suddenly, and against all probability, a sperm whale had been called into existence, several miles above the surface of an alien planet. But since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity. This is what it thought as it fell: 'Ahhh! Whoa! What's happening? Who am I? Why am I here? What's my purpose in life? What do I mean by 'who am I'? Okay, okay, calm down, calm down, get a grip now. Ooh, this is an interesting sensation. What is it? It's a sort of a tingling in my... well, I suppose I better start finding names for things. Let's call it a... tail! Yeah! Tail! And hey, what's this roaring sound, whooshing past what I'm suddenly gonna call my head? Wind! Is that a good name? It'll do. Yeah, this is really exciting! I'm dizzy with anticipation! Or is it the wind? There's an awful lot of that now, isn't it? And what's this thing coming toward me very fast? So big and flat and round, it needs a big wide sounding name like 'Ow', 'Ownge', 'Round', 'Ground'! That's it! Ground! Ha! I wonder if it'll be friends with me? Hello Ground!' [the whale crashes into the ground] Curiously, the only thing that went through the mind of the bowl of petunias as it fell, was: 'Oh no, not again.' Many have speculated that if we knew exactly why the bowl of petunias had thought that, we should know a lot more about the nature of the universe than we do now."

1 hour ago, SvAF/F16_Dark_P said:

That is a balloon...

Yep.

122D885C-DFED-4C11-A593-87F506F1645B.jpeg.4c4cbc12d62457bd0c61096aaf1b5158.jpeg

:drinks:

Mike 

• Haha 11

19 hours ago, AlHoAlHo said:

Hi,

New to IL2 Great Battles after a long, long hiatus (played 2nd gen IL2 a lot - badly). Loving it so much!

Anyone else noticed these foo fighters in the sky since the latest update....only seen in Rhineland map so far. Sorry for the crap screenshot, they go by so fast, they look like vans/trucks etc and should be on the ground obvs! Don't know if its a bug or something, I've only noticed them in offline career mode.

I saw one this afternoon in my offline campaign on the Rhineland map near to Nijmegen, just on the allied side of the Rhine frontier.

Was on the lookout for the Luftwaffe who were active in the area at the time when it went whizzing by over the top of my Spitfire, so I had to pause to confirm what it actually was.

And it was indeed a wheeled vehicle, but as I fly in VR it was a bit blurry in normal view and due to the lack of zoom options available I couldn't enlarge my view sufficiently to make out exactly what type of vehicle it was.

This was a very odd experience indeed and I shall now have to watch out for them in future as a collision with one could ruin your entire mission. :scratch_one-s_head:

Probably one of these:

Inflatable-tank.png

Thanks everyone, glad I'm not alone!

Some very helpful, and very whittable replies. Only seems to be happening on the Rhineland map then?! I'll put it down to a weather balloon and my kids can look into it in 2070 when I'm pushing up the daisies. 

Out of interest, anyone got any thoughts on the latter question regarding air density (i.e. number of German aircraft about late 1944)?

All the best

Al

Naw. Cmon guys. These shots are Photoshopped, right? I mean they came all the way here in a wheeled vehicle and obviously more tech advanced than our WW2 warbirds and yet they don’t make contact?

You're seeing either swamp gas or weather balloons. From the above posts I doubt an inflatable got loose, not at that altitude and appeared to be moving swiftly horizontal at altitude too, not like a jumping castle you always see cutting loose in high winds on the evening news..The sperm whale thing underground - I don’t even know where to go with that one. 

Although if one thinks about it, we all know vehicles with wheels aren’t zooming around the airspace out there like they’re equipped with hyper drives so obviously nothing we are capable of. If so, what? And if what, who?

First the UFO car here in Minnesota and now live reports while flying back in time online. Actually the whole thing is scary sh*t if ya think about it.Has anybody captured this on video like the recent DOD release? Do we have an estimated speed of these foo fighters? We gotta report this stuff guys. I’ve worked myself into a perfect tizzy now.

Ugh.I knew I shouldn’t have read the forums today.

It gets worse... I saw one of these while on a mission today while RTB'ing about 20 miles away from my home base, but when I landed it turned out that an additional 4 hours had gone by that I can't account for!

Plus for some reason my underwear was on backwards...

• Haha 6

16 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

It gets worse... I saw one of these while on a mission today while RTB'ing about 20 miles away from my home base, but when I landed it turned out that an additional 4 hours had gone by that I can't account for!

Speaking of alien abductions, yesterday afternoon my wife and daughter (stuck inside for Pandemic OPS) were doing some paintings by watching a Bob Ross video on YouTube...wife tried to paint a bird but messed it up. I suggested adding a few dots and:

IMG_20200525_154024300.thumb.jpg.94cc3d8a2a88fa905c2970d0b2b95ea7.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MattS said:

Speaking of alien abductions, yesterday afternoon my wife and daughter (stuck inside for Pandemic OPS) were doing some paintings by watching a Bob Ross video on YouTube...wife tried to paint a bird but messed it up. I suggested adding a few dots and:

"Happy little Aliens"???

That's awesome!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

Okay..this sh*t is really getting kinda strange now. I mean the time unaccounted for is known to have happened before in cases, but the underwear bit is almost enough to make me wanna pull the plug outta the wall on my custom rig and go back to Candy Crush on the iPhone. *

*  “Almost” being the operative word here as I have new information the sightings may have to do with further tests regarding the new laser - plasma imaging by the US Navy. But the time loss and underwear inversion is still is elusive. I contacted the DOD via a secured landline this afternoon and explained what was occurring but they promptly hung up on me. If that ain’t a sign something is being whitewashed I don’t what is.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

Okay..this sh*t is really getting kinda strange now. I mean the time unaccounted for is known to have happened before in cases, but the underwear bit is almost enough to make me wanna pull the plug outta the wall on my custom rig and go back to Candy Crush on the iPhone. *

*  “Almost” being the operative word here as I have new information the sightings may have to do with further tests regarding the new laser - plasma imaging by the US Navy. But the time loss and underwear inversion is still is elusive. I contacted the DOD via a secured landline this afternoon and explained what was occurring but they promptly hung up on me. If that ain’t a sign something is being whitewashed I don’t what is.

You'll be happy to know it turns out this was all a big misunderstanding and everything is fine.  I received a visit today from a couple of very official gentlemen from what I assume is the government IL2 office and they explained everything to me.  Seems that I made a mistake when descending down into the landing pattern, when I pulled the power back I accidentally put the prop pitch into manual mode, and as most of you know, the prop pitch gauge on the Bf109 displays pitch setting using a clock face, with low pitch indicated at 8:30 and fine pitch at 12:30.  Normally the pitch would have automatically reduced to the 8:30 position but since i had it in manual before pulling the power back, it stayed at 12:30 and that's where it stayed all the way through the landing, which is the four hours difference, so there was no missing time at all.  

The way it all works seems pretty complicated but they explained it all very well and they said I'll be less confused after I slept on it.  Just seems a little odd since I recall I was flying a P-38 but it kind of hurts when I think about it too much now so I'm not gonna worry about it.

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, =[TIA]=Stoopy said:

You'll be happy to know it turns out this was all a big misunderstanding and everything is fine.  I received a visit today from a couple of very official gentlemen from what I assume is the government IL2 office and they explained everything to me.  Seems that I made a mistake when descending down into the landing pattern, when I pulled the power back I accidentally put the prop pitch into manual mode, and as most of you know, the prop pitch gauge on the Bf109 displays pitch setting using a clock face, with low pitch indicated at 8:30 and fine pitch at 12:30.  Normally the pitch would have automatically reduced to the 8:30 position but since i had it in manual before pulling the power back, it stayed at 12:30 and that's where it stayed all the way through the landing, which is the four hours difference, so there was no missing time at all.  

The way it all works seems pretty complicated but they explained it all very well and they said I'll be less confused after I slept on it.  Just seems a little odd since I recall I was flying a P-38 but it kind of hurts when I think about it too much now so I'm not gonna worry about it.

Hmm...those “very official gentlemen” you speak of...they weren’t dressed in black and donned dark sunglasses just before taking your “picture” with a very bright flash did they?

• Haha 1

It's no secret... it's simply the late war RAF sanitary pack being jettisoned after the pilot has used the relief tube...

As someone who went from an extreme skeptic to a believer — after a fairly incredible UFO sighting — I’ve long thought it would be a neat Easter egg to throw into IL-2. It would have to be wicked rare, but seeing a ball of light blaze past you would make my day.

39 minutes ago, KotwicaGoose said:

As someone who went from an extreme skeptic to a believer — after a fairly incredible UFO sighting — I’ve long thought it would be a neat Easter egg to throw into IL-2. It would have to be wicked rare, but seeing a ball of light blaze past you would make my day.

I've seen a TR-3B variant fairly close up, for a fairly extended duration.

The tech has been around for a long time.

Most wouldn't believe it, but when you're starting right at it, floating there like it'ts painted on the clear blue sky...

11 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

I've seen a TR-3B variant fairly close up, for a fairly extended duration.

The tech has been around for a long time.

Most wouldn't believe it, but when you're starting right at it, floating there like it'ts painted on the clear blue sky...

I’m not going to say it was a ‘TR-3B,’ but I did indeed see a massive black triangle, along with my mother. It was completely silent, large (easily 300+ feet across), and had three white lights on each point, with a dull red light on the bottom center.

If you’d care to read the report I made to MUFON, here you are.

While I have doubt this was anything ‘we’ have, I also don’t inherently associate UFOs with ‘aliens.’ I think there are other possible explanations.

The triangles (TR-3B and variants) are black (human) tech. The underlying technology was openly discussed back in the 50’s, even in Mechanics Illustrated etc.

That open source discussion was snuffed after a time and it went completely dark.

Watching one is a very surreal experience.

29 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

The triangles (TR-3B and variants) are black (human) tech. The underlying technology was openly discussed back in the 50’s, even in Mechanics Illustrated etc.

That open source discussion was snuffed after a time and it went completely dark.

Watching one is a very surreal experience.

If they’ve had 70 years to introduce this tech, why haven’t they?

What sort of tech would have been available in the 50s that could propel these massive craft completely silently?

Black tech usually stays black for a long time, especially it seems in this case.

You can PM me if you want - this isn’t the place to go down that path.

Coming back to the item show in the screen shots. It was probably a parachute.

Posted (edited)

No it isn't. It's a ground vehicle that has randomly been given the wrong Z axis value by the mission generator, causing it to be placed not on the surface of the map, but instead a significant distance above it.

Il-2 Cliffs of Dover used to occasionally do the same thing with ships in particular placed hundreds of feet in the air above the surface of the water, much to everyone's amusement.

Edited by Vortice

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vortice said:

No it isn't. It's a ground vehicle that has randomly been given the wrong Z axis value by the mission generator, causing it to be placed not on the surface of the map, but instead a significant distance above it.

Il-2 Cliffs of Dover used to occasionally do the same thing with ships in particular placed hundreds of feet in the air above the surface of the water, much to everyone's amusement.

Looks like a cunning plan combine operation Sealion with the blitz. 

Either that or the Philadelphia experiment got into the game.

Edited by Monksilver

22 minutes ago, Monksilver said:

Looks like a cunning plan combine operation Sealion with the blitz. 

Either that or the Philadelphia experiment got into the game.

No I bet it is 5 G tech 

same that gave us covid.....

Eating whales and swimming in Brent crude undermined your nation's immunity to viruses a long time ago.

Next generation mobile phone technology is the least of your problems.  :P

On 5/25/2020 at 9:47 PM, MattS said:

She using AMD paint and MXAA brushes?

Also she could paint Bob Ross from that bird smudge.

Joke aside, nice painting!

• Upvote 1