YoYo

HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

3 hours ago, HunDread said:

I received the same info today from bestware via e-mail.

Me too.

20 hours ago, ACG_Mephisto said:

Got a message from my retailer that my pre-ordered G2 delivery is being delayed by HP to „install new and better lenses“. New expected delivery: end of October. Anybody getting updates from HP or their respective retailers?

I am in New Zealand and have been advised change of delivery from 19th September to 15th October. No reason given, apart from HP advising the local retailer of the new delivery date.

Given everything that was being said about the screens and lenses, in the previews, it does beg the question, what are they doing to improve the lenses ?  Maybe when they arrived from the supplier they weren’t up to spec.

53 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Given everything that was being said about the screens and lenses, in the previews, it does beg the question, what are they doing to improve the lenses ?  Maybe when they arrived from the supplier they weren’t up to spec.

My initial thought when seeing the e-mail was that it's just an excuse they made up (at HP) because they simply had to create more units than expected. But had no hard feelings as my latest information was that they would start shipping at fall 2020 so I did not anticipate anytime sooner than October. 

In case they indeed  further upgarde the lenses that's even better. Also just getting information like this was a nice touch froim either bestware or HP whoever was really behind it. 

25 minutes ago, HunDread said:

My initial thought when seeing the e-mail was that it's just an excuse they made up (at HP) because they simply had to create more units than expected. But had no hard feelings as my latest information was that they would start shipping at fall 2020 so I did not anticipate anytime sooner than October. 

In case they indeed  further upgarde the lenses that's even better. Also just getting information like this was a nice touch froim either bestware or HP whoever was really behind it. 

U.S. pre-order here, and have not received any such notification. But waiting another month for better lenses, if true, is certainly a good reason to wait.

Ordered from SystenActive in the UK and had nothing regarding a delay but as Unlikley-spider has said waiting another month for better lenses is not a problem, wonder if the delay has anything to do with the 'Omnicept edition' rumors that going about?

2160x2160 per eye, equals 4320 horizontal x 2160 vertical overall.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dburne said:

2160x2160 per eye, equals 4320 horizontal x 2160 vertical overall.

Thanks

The idea that they'd redo the lenses 5 weeks before launch was ridiculous anyway. The article is garbage, just like you guys said. 

What is more likely is that the demand was driven so high on the pre-orders that they couldn't cover it. To avoid a Pimax-like debacle of people screaming hell and mephisto (😉) , they had to postpone the launch until a certain ratio of pre-orders is covered.

People already gave their full part of the contract and expect their G2 to ship within the first week. If someone pre-ordered and had to wait until end of November to get it shipped - most people would get pissed rather quickly. 1st week patience, 2nd week anxious, 3rd week strolling to Reddit and then it goes on.

• Upvote 1

There’s also a risk they are pulling a Pimax and the lenses of the sample sent to testers aren’t the final lenses. Meaning: they are too expensive to produce, and the high-volume production lenses will be worse. 

2 hours ago, ZiggyZiggyStar said:

Question: “Are you looking at adding eye tracking module? Is there room?”

Peter from HP: “Yes. There is room”
At 5:14:45

How cool would that be. Providing of course it is supported in games.

For Australians interested in the HP Reverb G2

HP Australia is running a promotional price for orders placed before September 30 of $899 AUD.

Price after 30 Sept, for Australia, is supposed to be $1099 AUD but I wonder if the latest release(s) by Occulus/ now Farcebook will force them to lower that price. 😎

Link

https://view.hpnews.hp.com/?qs=9cf56aa1f514e1531fe2450e0ad524ec28bc49210b8ca75497159b2834fafe57ea47cc5f42985e0a875d5b4938f3c3e3099a6a7de508ec484b87843461f14602dad07f424347c021ceb25086e622d5e1

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

For Australians interested in the HP Reverb G2

HP Australia is running a promotional price for orders placed before September 30 of $899 AUD.

Price after 30 Sept, for Australia, is supposed to be $1099 AUD but I wonder if the latest release(s) by Occulus/ now Farcebook will force them to lower that price. 😎

Link

https://view.hpnews.hp.com/?qs=9cf56aa1f514e1531fe2450e0ad524ec28bc49210b8ca75497159b2834fafe57ea47cc5f42985e0a875d5b4938f3c3e3099a6a7de508ec484b87843461f14602dad07f424347c021ceb25086e622d5e1

Don't forget to use code "reverb"

Received this email today from Connection regarding my Reverb G2 order:

We know you are eager to jump into a next-generation VR experience with the incredible HP Reverb G2. While HP has not yet announced an official release date, we wanted to let you know the headsets will ship this fall! We’ll provide another email update as soon as we confirm the release date.

Please keep in mind that orders will most likely ship over a period of several weeks following the release date, due to high demand and ongoing constraints related to COVID-19. We apologize for the wait, and we understand how excited you are to get your hands on this new technology in person. If you have any technical questions related to the HP Reverb G2, you can reach out to the HP Support Team at 1.800.334.5144.

We’ll be in touch soon!

18 minutes ago, dburne said:

Yup, I received that email just now, too

As an owner of the original Reverb, I am just going to wait and see how much of an improvement G2 is before deciding. The resolution is the same so it's all up to the lenses. 

with the new changes in spotting and my G2 hopefully being shipped soon i am soooo much looking forward to getting into flying again after a LOOOONG time of absence.

Edited by Winger

18 hours ago, dburne said:

I also pre ordered it, have not received this e mail.

Dont have high hopes, probably will receive it late November, I guess, same as a 3090 hopefully.

23 minutes ago, SCG_motoadve said:

I also pre ordered it, have not received this e mail.

Dont have high hopes, probably will receive it late November, I guess, same as a 3090 hopefully.

I did get that email. Though if I get my Reverb before I'm able to get an RTX 3080, I don't expect to put many hours into it. So I'm not chomping at the bit for the headset.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Also they are adding an electrical power plug to the device.

And the reason why they do this sounds promising.

Also hopefully this eliminates random issues with USB ports. My CV1 for example is sometimes reported as plugged into a USB 2.0 port, next time it shows as USB 3.0 without changing anything.

Also they include a USB-C to A adapter in the package. That's a nice move.

Got an email saying delivery postponned to first part of November 😪

Edited by SunCup
english correction

On 9/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Thanks for that. I am not seeing an "add to cart" button, am I on the right page? I am trying this one:

https://store.hp.com/CanadaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=1G5U1AA&opt=ABA&sel=ACC

At minute 31:40 someone ask for IL-2  😉

What he say is quite right, the G2 is going to be a non doubt device over the Quest2 if you want to go to PC-VR.

Depending on the model of the Quest2 (128Gb o 256Gb, with PClink cable and Elite strap) you will pay 140$ or 40$ less than with the G2. And this the price you will pay to give all your data and habits to Facebook. Look "The social dilemma" in Netflix as Sebastien was suggesting.

With the G2 you have better resolution, better audio, better IPD adjust, less inertia and less front weight (no battery), not compressed image through PC link.

Most of the reviews say that the Quest2 is still a front heavy device.

He also mention that in a podcast of Jamie Feltham from uploadVR, he said that he preferred the image quality of the Rift-S over the Quest2 PC-Link. And G2 is much better than Rift-S.

They spun the low persistence issue their displays were suffering from to "an improvement" and "even better now". They fixed a bug, for God's sake :))

Another issue was not getting control over a steady voltage without much fluctuation over the USB ports in the initial design. So they give USB-A adapter, "an improvement" - which you are supposed to use with a power adapter to plug into the wall. A power adapter you'll have to buy separately? 

I mean, it's great that they "fix stuff". But I want them to ship it. I was one of the first to order in Germany, before it even went on official pre-order. 

I don't really believe they retooled the lenses. They probably optimised something in their profiles

28 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

They spun the low persistence issue their displays were suffering from to "an improvement" and "even better now". They fixed a bug, for God's sake :))

It's hard to draw a border here. For example IL-2 devs updating the HUD in order not to halve FPS in VR; updating VR zoom; or the recent updates in spotting are all bug fixes in my vocab but usually they are referred to as huge improvements. And they indeed improved the experience just like the updates to the G2 probably will. So it's hard to draw this border.

Edited by HunDread

3 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

At minute 31:40 someone ask for IL-2  😉

What he say is quite right, the G2 is going to be a non doubt device over the Quest2 if you want to go to PC-VR.

Depending on the model of the Quest2 (128Gb o 256Gb, with PClink cable and Elite strap) you will pay 140$ or 40$ less than with the G2. And this the price you will pay to give all your data and habits to Facebook. Look "The social dilemma" in Netflix as Sebastien was suggesting.

With the G2 you have better resolution, better audio, better IPD adjust, less inertia and less front weight (no battery), not compressed image through PC link.

Most of the reviews say that the Quest2 is still a front heavy device.

He also mention that in a podcast of Jamie Feltham from uploadVR, he said that he preferred the image quality of the Rift-S over the Quest2 PC-Link. And G2 is much better than Rift-S.

Slight correction there @chiliwili69

Quest 2 is either 64 GB or 256 GB models.

There is not a 128 GB model.

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, HunDread said:

It's hard to draw a border here. For example IL-2 devs updating the HUD in order not to halve FPS in VR; updating VR zoom; or the recent updates in spotting are all bug fixes in my vocab but usually they are referred to as huge improvements. And they indeed improved the experience just like the updates to the G2 probably will. So it's hard to draw this border.

Marketing spins faster than a Mustang's prop

3 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Another issue was not getting control over a steady voltage without much fluctuation over the USB ports in the initial design. So they give USB-A adapter, "an improvement" - which you are supposed to use with a power adapter to plug into the wall. A power adapter you'll have to buy separately?

It's included in the box. I mean yeah, there's some marketing spin, but they're now doing exactly what most high-end headsets (Valve Index, Pimax) already do, which is to have an extra power brick. USB is such a pig's breakfast of a spec...

What bothers me the most is flickering in VR (more than low pixel density or godrays, rift s in my case), from all the  "through the lenses" yt vids and reviews i found reverb g2 being best for flight sims, way less object flickering over distance and much clearer image quality than index or other headsets!

Most of the time we spend looking out of the cockpit in a distance and in search for pixels (tiny enemy planes) so pixel density, clarity and flickering-free image is top priority imo.

Here's dcs test included;

Here is where flickering is compared good (index vs. G2);

20200929_153227.jpg

20200929_153257.jpg