YoYo

HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

1 hour ago, Bernard_IV said:

Is this supposed to come September?  I'm thinking of selling my G1 and just playing something else for a month.

I think its supposed to arrive in september but i have just noticed on system active's website that the limited promotion pre-order is now closed and the price has now gone up to £639 for end of september delivery. 

Posted (edited)

Glad I pre ordered when I did.  I assume they’ve run out of pre-order allocated stock. Interestingly, I only got the confirmation, from “SystemActive” this afternoon, despite ordering in the first couple of days.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Likewise, i took the plunge yesterday (but ill keep my Risf s till the G2 has prooved itself) only ervieved the order confirmation today also.

I just ordered it.  $599 still in the US, plus about another $50 in shipping and tax.  Hopefully I can get $300 or so for my G1.

Glad i preordered when i did , the money saved can go towards an rtx 3080 to run the new reverb. I have just had my G1 replaced under warranty so hopefully it will last until the G2 arrives.

8 minutes ago, Bernard_IV said:

Was it $550 a bit ago?

No. They're speaking of British Pounds.  Pre-order in Europe came with a discount that expired with the end of July.

Reverb Gen 2 has been $599 since pre-order began in the US.

14 minutes ago, Bernard_IV said:

Was it $550 a bit ago?

It was £525 uk now its £639 , not a bad saving 🙂.

I confess, when I ordered it, I wasn’t aware that there was a discount, I just thought that was the price.  I know it’s not a huge amount more, but I would definitely have had to have given it a lot more thought if it had been £639 straight off, rather than the £525.

22 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

I confess, when I ordered it, I wasn’t aware that there was a discount, I just thought that was the price.  I know it’s not a huge amount more, but I would definitely have had to have given it a lot more thought if it had been £639 straight off, rather than the £525.

The pricing on this thing seems really weird. These days you don't usually save money on a pre-order, you're just locking in your place in line for a (possibly limited) item.

US$600 for this is a great price. GBP639 less so.

Posted (edited)

MR TV did a video measuring the various FOVs of the different headsets.  It shows the G2 getting a decent boost over the G1.  I'm really looking forward to the improvement in colors, hopefully contacts will pop out a bit more.

Edited by Bernard_IV
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 8/4/2020 at 4:30 PM, Bernard_IV said:

MR TV did a video measuring the various FOVs of the different headsets.  It shows the G2 getting a decent boost over the G1.  I'm really looking forward to the improvement in colors, hopefully contacts will pop out a bit more.

This BS video again.

It's full of false measurements, he even admitted to that and later changed his narrative. 

I know you mean well, but please know he's an affiliate and selling the G2 headset (which is still going to be great, I am certain, and have pre-ordered it as well). But take the measurements of this particular video with a handfull of salt, half of them are false.

It's just what he's getting based on his own personal testing, nothing wrong with that.  He's getting a little bump up out of the G2, I don't think he's lying.  He does say it could be because of the adjustability.

The timeline was:

1) Posted video as FOV comparison, claims as facts. Much lower than real FOV values on some headsets like Cosmos, Pimax, Oculus', but larger than real of HP's G1

2) Gets called out for posting wrong horizontal values by many users who couldn't replicate what he stated

3) Ignored the posts, by now many of these posts are gone

4) He keeps selling G2s as HP's affiliate (these vendors basically are HP here in Germany) in the meantime. Yes, I pre-ordered of Schenker before pre-order was public. Guess..

5) He gets into a flamewar on OpenMR forums, responds all his findings are facts in an arrogant, condescending way

6) Then later renders up an excuse which he posts as a message on YT, "it's only personal impressions" - but does not correct the video itself

You are of course free to make your own conclusion. 

My opinion: I've seen the use of influencers first hand from the company perspective too, on the frontend they remained impartial and unbiased of course. Sells best this way. No rules against that, it's done daily, that's business. So, forgive me for being so hypocritical now as well: When I realized what this does in a realm which is my hobby, I didn't like it. Embarassed? Maybe. Took the conclusion and un-subbed from the guy. I remain with Adam Savage's Tested and Tyriel Wood (the Italian with the terrible English but amazing lens comparisons), more than enough to fill out spare time.

• Like 2

I am in a telegram group with Alehandoro VR who tested the G2 and he told us that the lenses that his G2 has suffer from chromatical aberration and small sweet spot. MRTV is less critical.

We need a review of the consumer version, as I'm a bit concerned.

1 hour ago, TimJ147 said:

I am interested in upgrading to the reverb 2. A few concerns I have are whether my pc could handle the higher res ( GTX1080TI, I-7 8700 @ 4.8ghz ) and if there will be much of an upgraded FOV compared to the original rift ?

As for the higher res - just ramp up SS of your current HMD to match native pixel count of HP Reverb (2160x2160=4665600 pixels per eye) and test on your system. Hope you'll be OK 👍

• Upvote 1

Increasing the SS to HP Reverb native resolution is just to check whether your current system can cope 👍

4 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The timeline was:

1) Posted video as FOV comparison, claims as facts. Much lower than real FOV values on some headsets like Cosmos, Pimax, Oculus', but larger than real of HP's G1

2) Gets called out for posting wrong horizontal values by many users who couldn't replicate what he stated

3) Ignored the posts, by now many of these posts are gone

4) He keeps selling G2s as HP's affiliate (these vendors basically are HP here in Germany) in the meantime. Yes, I pre-ordered of Schenker before pre-order was public. Guess..

5) He gets into a flamewar on OpenMR forums, responds all his findings are facts in an arrogant, condescending way

6) Then later renders up an excuse which he posts as a message on YT, "it's only personal impressions" - but does not correct the video itself

You are of course free to make your own conclusion. 

My opinion: I've seen the use of influencers first hand from the company perspective too, on the frontend they remained impartial and unbiased of course. Sells best this way. No rules against that, it's done daily, that's business. So, forgive me for being so hypocritical now as well: When I realized what this does in a realm which is my hobby, I didn't like it. Embarassed? Maybe. Took the conclusion and un-subbed from the guy. I remain with Adam Savage's Tested and Tyriel Wood (the Italian with the terrible English but amazing lens comparisons), more than enough to fill out spare time.

Wow, didn't know it was such a huge controversy. 

4 hours ago, TimJ147 said:

I am interested in upgrading to the reverb 2. A few concerns I have are whether my pc could handle the higher res ( GTX1080TI, I-7 8700 @ 4.8ghz ) and if there will be much of an upgraded FOV compared to the original rift ?

Your system will be good.  I run the 1080TI at lower settings and get good performance.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

He gets into a flamewar on OpenMR forums, responds all his findings are facts in an arrogant, condescending way

Would you have a working link? I am getting just errors. Thanks.

36 minutes ago, TimJ147 said:

Do you already have the Reverb G2 @Bernard_IV ?

No I have the G1, it is the same resolution as the G2 thus should have identical performance.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Pinello said:

Interesting Video but I hope they significantly improve the sweet spot on the production G2.

My take:

1. The HP G2 is very sharp in the center and that was what the reviewer focused on, sky colours in the F1 video game was really washed out, could not see any clouds. The guy standing on the left of the track, just behind the safety rail, looked a bit better on the Rift S and a lot better on the Index.

2. The Rift S is sharper in the mid peripheral views on both left and right sides than the G2   :(  This is despite it being a significantly lower resolution VR headset.

3. The Valve Index has the best contrast

Based on the above video, HP have a lot of work to do.

I have a pre-order on the G2 so have an interest on them getting it right.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
punctuation.

Posted (edited)

I also have a pre-order on the G2, I share that interest.

Thought to let you guys know the behind-the-scenes stuff so you can get a better overview and expectation. I am glad it was received well and you're looking at Tyriel Wood and Adam Savage's Tested's Reviews now as well. 

I've tested this generation by myself extensively. The bottom line is, they are all great as long as you put in 1-2 hours to set them up properly once (except for the Index - plug'n'play in SteamVR). Even the Cosmos Elite is fantastic and currently is #1 in clarity only with GearVR lenses.

Cosmos Elite - small.jpg

Index - small.jpg

Pimax 5K  - small.jpg

Reverb Pro G1 - small.jpg

Anyway, entering into VR right now I'd recommend anyone to wait for the Reverb G2. There's no real benefit in transitioning from one piece of equipment to another between those four (Cosmos Elite, Index, Pimax 5K+, Reverb Pro G1) right now in the current gen, they all have their distinct strengths and weaknesses. In my honest opinion, that would be just a money sink. The next gen with 4K picture is around the corner, and this together with an acceptable FOV and proper lenses is incredibly important for Simulators.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Just taken the plunge and order the G2 from SystemActive, should have done this a while ago and saved some money ☹️

I’m sure it will an improvement over my CV1, no delivery date just says on the confirmation email that it’s ‘back ordered’ hopefully I’ll not have to wait to long! 😀

• Like 1

Yeah I thought about it to much by the time I’d convinced myself it was worth buying I’d lost out on a good price 😡

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TimJ147 said:

Same as me Furni.  A week earlier we could have saved £100!

Check Amazon.es, also @Furni

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

I'm surprised that so many people are still using the CV1.  It had its good points including awesome sound and OLED display, but the visual clarity by today's standards is atrocious.  

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, BlueHeron said:

I'm surprised that so many people are still using the CV1.  It had its good points including awesome sound and OLED display, but the visual clarity by today's standards is atrocious.  

Yeah even my Rift S is way better in clarity to CV1. My CV1 stays permanently retired.

Posted (edited)

I see a lot of preorders for one of the most demanding headsets on the marketin in this threat. Are you all running top notch systems to get it running? I have a cosmos and a XT5700X combined with a i8700 @4.8 and still struggle to get decent frames on average. What are G1 users currently use?

Edited by cellinsky

Cellinsky I doubt my rig is top notch now and at the moment it runs the CV1 just fine. Not sure if my rig will run the new Reverb G2 at the same setting but I’m willing to take a chance. 

My set up -

Intel Core i7-8700K Processor (overclocked)

Corsair H100i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card

Corsair Professional HX1200i PSU

SSD drives 250 - 500mb

Posted (edited)

There is a massive difference between the resolution of the HP G2 and a CV1 so I do not think you can equate the two in any shape or form unless you intend to run the G2 at very low resolution and refresh rates.

The most informed responses need to come from someone running the G1.

Personally, I would expect even a 2080 Ti to be hard pressed to run the G2 at full res and refresh rates but I will defer to the afore mentioned G1 owners on that topic.

If you want the best out of the HP G2, think you should start saving up for a high end, (and expensive) RTX 3000 series graphics card. 😎

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
minor typo

You guys can check and apply the amount of SS on a CV1 that roughly equals the resolution of the Reverb G1 and G2 to test how well your rigs would handle that. 

Watch this space RAAF Steve and I’ll let you know! 😀

@TimJ147

Could you please provide a link to the post you mentioned about "spotting at full resolution is very difficult". I'm not sure what that is refering to except perhaps fewer pixels representing the target. However, you should be able to ID the aircraft better with being able to see the aircraft more clearly looking for specific details - not sure

I have a current Reverb and run well at full resolution with a 9700K@5Ghz and a RTX2070 with 2160x2200 or so SteamVR resolution (100%) - I would think a 1080ti could manage that easily.

3 hours ago, TimJ147 said:

After having a look around the forums and reddit for feedback on system requirements for the reverb G1 in IL2.

I found a reddit post mentioning spotting at full resolution is very difficult and that most people lower the resolution of the reverb to compensate. My 1080ti would certainly struggle at full res but I'm wondering if it could handle the lower res for spotting (g2 reverb).

I presume even after lowering the res it would be a huge upgrade visually compared to the rift CV1 ?

If resolution will have to be lowered on a VR headset to help spotting, that will be the time to put this title on the shelf and never look back.

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 2:18 AM, cellinsky said:

I see a lot of preorders for one of the most demanding headsets on the marketin in this threat. Are you all running top notch systems to get it running? I have a cosmos and a XT5700X combined with a i8700 @4.8 and still struggle to get decent frames on average. What are G1 users currently use?

The nice thing about the pixel density of the G2 (and original Reverb) is that you don't need to supersample to make it look good. A Valve Index with 150% SteamVR supersample is getting close to the same number of pixels in a G2. The other thing is that a headset is an investment that will probably last a couple of years, so you can also anticipate faster GPUs during that period. It's not going to be a headset you can run well with the cheapest GPUs, but a 3070 might plausibly run it with some settings turned down.

For a lot of people this is one of their primary hobbies, so dropping a couple of grand a year on hardware is within reach. I dunno how much a golf club membership costs, or a bowling club + beer money, but a $600 headset and a $600 GPU every couple of years is a lot cheaper than some other hobbies.

The nice thing about the pixel density of the G2 (and original Reverb) is that you don't need to supersample to make it look good. A Valve Index with 150% SteamVR supersample is getting close to the same number of pixels in a G2. The other thing is that a headset is an investment that will probably last a couple of years, so you can also anticipate faster GPUs during that period. It's not going to be a headset you can run well with the cheapest GPUs, but a 3070 might plausibly run it with some settings turned down.

For a lot of people this is one of their primary hobbies, so dropping a couple of grand a year on hardware is within reach. I dunno how much a golf club membership costs, or a bowling club + beer money, but a $600 headset and a $600 GPU every couple of years is a lot cheaper than some other hobbies.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

The comment so nice, the forum posted it thrice!

Not to 2D-post in a VR thread, but Golf club membership, plus clubs, plus green fees, plus enough alcohol to make golf a tolerable pastime, easily consumes that much money in a season. And unlike golf, IL-2 does not suck

Now me, I have another hobby that I monetize so that I can afford upgrades to this hobby.

modernproblems.jpg.1c3003fcc6099c39f9227ad3adda5611.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1