YoYo

HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

2 hours ago, SCG_motoadve said:

For that amount is totally worth pre ordering.

In the US pre order is $599 and seems to be the retail price will be $599 so no advantage to pre ordering other than getting it quicker, someone correct me if I am wrong.

That's probably the only advantage, however given the state of things I suspect supply chains will remain slow, and with everyone at home the demand for VR will remain high. So if getting it 2-3 months earlier is worth something to you, that would be the reason to preorder.

I feel like a dumbass for only hitting 'order' on an Index a few weeks ago. I'm way down the queue, behind hundreds of people buying them to scalp on eBay.

I bought two HP G2 in May, I figure someone in our squadron will want one pretty badly.  I am very happy I did that. 

Though I wouldn't expect anything on September 15th; that date was simply a placeholder for "fall"

12 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

By the way, you're absolutely totally stunningly right, he sure totally amazingly knows how to sell. I just had to think of this guy here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxGn2Egekic, viel Spaß beim Gucken! 😁

OOOOHHHH, I know the Slap Chop guy...……...yes MRTV Seb is actually the same, talking BS all day long.🤪

HP Reverb G2 Tracking Test:

I jumped on this one, I still flying around with the Rift CV1, so now I hope this pre-order will be a huge improvement.

Posted (edited)

Yeah seen it. Incomplete test for me, as I am also interested in Shooting games. I have checked the latest WMR tracking of v2004, which is the same as the G2 has, which just has a larger field of tracking but neither more accurate nor closer tracking.

His video lacks tracking tests with:

1. Rifles properly held, the right hand with grip needs to be closer to headset to match gun stock to shoulder. Then you see rifle-sway with WMR. This severely limits the use of scopes in Onwards, Contractors, Pavlov, Half Life, and Boneworks. Field of view through iron sights is reduced by necessity to hold controllers further in unnatural position. Shooting performance suffers.

2. Pistols held - controllers close to one-another on the same pistol grip occlude each other sometimes and lead to sway. Shooting performance suffers.

3. Anything held in line of sight, coupled with too drastic reactions (like a quick magazine reload) can lead to the arms spazzing out shortly (for a second). In a physics environment with simulated object boundaries this leads to unwanted situations, e.g. looking down your own barrel all of a sudden and then the gun flipping away under your armpit and then dropped by character.

4. Tracking speed and positional updates as well as accuracy when transitioning from movement to a fixed position: In Contractors on the pistol shooting range, I beat it in 13.23s using Index Controllers. I always need more than >20s with WMRs. During the whole time, the controllers are tracked, as they never leave field of tracking. The problem is found in how quickly they go from travelling state to a resting state, without latency and accurate final positioning. It seems the present latency and the relative positioning system (world to headset to controllers) make controllers the weak element in the chain. This also means that when holding a weapon while aiming down sight - and then rotating around - the weapon slightly drags behind. You will regain complete tracking if you stop the rotation, but you will have a hard time to properly aim during rotation. Oculus doesn't have this problem, and Lighthouse doesn't even speak the same language.

5. Grenade throwing, accurate bow pulling, or throwing objects in general. When throwing over head or underslung to roll an object, you're risking your own virtual life if it was a grenade. Ever blown up half of your own team in a shooter due to this? I have witnessed that quite a few times.

For these reasons, even if I get the Reverb G2 and decide to keep it, I will stick to my Lighthouse based Index Controllers. Even the Vive Wands are more accurate. 

I have sent MRTV the entire guide with added comments on how to use Index Controllers with Reverb G2 via PM on Pimax' Forums beginning of July, before his G2 review. He had claimed "you wouldn't need dongles" in a video before, which is why I sent it to him so he'll know how to do that and how to ready the dongles for a video about it.

13 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

I jumped on this one, I still flying around with the Rift CV1, so now I hope this pre-order will be a huge improvement.

As long as you don't want to play roomscale games, it's an upgrade in all regards. For roomscale, the CV1 tracked better (it was my first headset, I used 3 Cams mounted to the walls).

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

I would imagen the Reverb G2 will be leaps beyond the CV1 in the clarity department.

Heck even once I got my Rift S I could not use CV1 again, and I expect G2 to be much better than Rift S.

20 hours ago, dburne said:

I would imagen the Reverb G2 will be leaps beyond the CV1 in the clarity department.

Heck even once I got my Rift S I could not use CV1 again, and I expect G2 to be much better than Rift S.

It is. Even the G1 is leaps above the Rift S for seated play, I have tested both.

It lacks in roomscale and game compatibility though compared to Rift S. 

8 hours ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

Yes I only use it for flight simulators 

Then it's fine. Flight Sims are greatly improved by HP's Reverbs (G1 only if your IPD fits).

Posted (edited)

Interesting comparison, thanks for posting.

Reverb G2 looking pretty good there.

Edited by dburne

The results might be somewhat altered by changing the SuperSampling value for the Rift S and Index

Posted (edited)

These comparisons, while informative, are limited in a sense that human eye is a different thing to any camera lens.

The most flagrant example of precisely that was Sweviver's through the lens video showing one of the Pimax HMD vs Reverb G1. He got a lot of flame for that.

Edited by apollon01

There's certainly some commentary going around the various internet fora that MRTV uses affiliate links, so of course the new thing is amazing, wonderful, blah blah blah. And I'm sure it's good the question is how it would hold up to an in-depth Chiliwili / Fenris_Wolf week long evaluation. And whether pure resolution is the only thing that matters, or FOV also.

I'd really love a 4K per eye Reverb-weight, Index-build-quality, Artisan FOV, Index-controller, Index-sound, Oculus software-quality, inside-out tracking megaheadset for $400 that's available in Canada in large quantities from Amazon.

Clearly high resolution VR displays are here to stay. I really wonder what the mainstream manufacturers are thinking about FOV, though. Has Index been successful with its (much) greater vertical and slightly wider FOV? Enough that more manufacturers will increase their FOV also?

• Haha 1

S!

Reverb G2 seems the first viable VR set I could get for flight simming. None of the current ones has beat the clarity of Varjo VR-2 Pro, but again it is for professional use. So with Ampere/RDNA2 and new VR goggles it seems I have to jump the bandwagon this fall or early next year 😄

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

There's certainly some commentary going around the various internet fora that MRTV uses affiliate links, so of course the new thing is amazing, wonderful, blah blah blah

If I want to I could even see some bias against Rift S in the video as he seems to be leaning in less with the Rift so I wouldn't be surprised if this was true. But on the other hand, do we know if there are any other pre-order sellers currently in Germany with this price and international shipping? If not then what else could he give as pre-order link regardless of affiliate or not?

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

I'd really love a 4K per eye Reverb-weight, Index-build-quality, Artisan FOV, Index-controller, Index-sound, Oculus software-quality, inside-out tracking megaheadset for $400 that's available in Canada in large quantities from Amazon.

only in the communist Star Trek. 😄

1 hour ago, HunDread said:

But on the other hand, do we know if there are any other pre-order sellers currently in Germany with this price and international shipping? If not then what else could he give as pre-order link regardless of affiliate or not?

Affiliate link and who-is-preselling-G2 are orthogonal. You can link to a preseller without an affiliate link. That would be dumb since he (reasonably enough) wants to make at least some income from his efforts on his YouTube channel. I'm not complaining about that, but if he goes too far in pushing the latest and greatest stuff and loses credibility as an independent reviewer, well, then he's lost credibility.

1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

Affiliate link and who-is-preselling-G2 are orthogonal. You can link to a preseller without an affiliate link. That would be dumb since he (reasonably enough) wants to make at least some income from his efforts on his YouTube channel. I'm not complaining about that, but if he goes too far in pushing the latest and greatest stuff and loses credibility as an independent reviewer, well, then he's lost credibility.

Apparently I am not sure what exactly an affiliate link means and google translate does not help much it seems. My thinking above was that he might have just given the (probably one available German with this price and international shipping) pre-order link which happens to be an affiliate (supporter, sponsor etc..)  of MRTV. 

54 minutes ago, HunDread said:

Apparently I am not sure what exactly an affiliate link means and google translate does not help much it seems. My thinking above was that he might have just given the (probably one available German with this price and international shipping) pre-order link which happens to be an affiliate (supporter, sponsor etc..)  of MRTV. 

Ah, I understand. An "affiliate link" usually means a link to some website, where the person who created the link (MRTV in this case) receives a small cash payment if someone uses the link and buys a product. Basically, it's a way for YouTubers (and others) to get a small commission if their viewers click on the link and buy the product. In this case, MTRV is the affiliate.

Gosh it's a silly word. I've typed it a bunch and it means less each time!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've watched his channel for a few years.  He's pretty fair in his reviews.

• Upvote 1

Sold my Index, at a profit and pre ordered G2. Lets see if it's the ideal balance. 

11 hours ago, VR-DriftaholiC said:

Sold my Index, at a profit and pre ordered G2. Lets see if it's the ideal balance. 

What did you not like at the Index?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Australians can now "Register their Interest" in the HP VR3000 G2 Headset

Unlike other countries, this is not a pre-order link where you have to pay for the Headset at the time of pre-order. Maybe one day........

https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Offer.aspx?p=hp-reverb-vr-headset

Apparently, this link has been available for Three or Four days so apologies in advance if it has already been posted on the IL2 forums.

ALSO, looks like they are doing a run-out on the G1 VR Headset, now available from their web site for $800 AUD.

This is a drop of almost $300 over the normal price, just in case you want to go "Old Tech" 🙃. NOTE 1: 28/07/20 - G1 is now back to old $1099 price tag on HP Web site

https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Default.aspx

Just scroll half way down the page to see it.

NOTE 2: 28/07/20 - According to a HP customer service rep, price for HP Reverb G2 still has not been finalised for Australia. Reading between the lines, looks like they are working out how much extra they can extract from Australian customers.......  :)   So much for consistent HP world Wide pricing.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Refer added notes
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Interesting discussion and thank you all for the input. I am a happy Index driver since I traded my Rift S for it last summer, but now have also pre-ordered G2. If the FOV reduction would not be too much, I think I will then sell my Index. Maybe keep the controllers if the compatibility is OK. G2 increase in resolution Vs. Index would be a welcome upgrade and it seems that G2 fixes most of the issues G1 had (bad audio, bad tracking, no SteamVR integration, small sweet spot etc.). I also look forward to a reduce weight, Index is really taxing my neck during long evening sessions. Ultimately only a hands-on test will show, but currently I am optimistic.  

Let me correct some things in the previous post:

G1 had decent audio drivers, and you can fine tune them with APO EQ, the same tracking accuracy and speed, if you don't use controllers  (IL 2 players) you won't notice any difference because it's the same algo, and has the same WMR/SteamVR integration - all you need is to start through the app "Windows mixed reality for SteamVR".

The Reverb G2 is still a WMR headset.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I am really looking forward to trying out this G2 whenever I get it.

But I gotta say - flew most of the afternoon in a PWCG Campaign with my Rift S.

I now have all graphics maxed out fully. Only thing is I do not run HDR.

This sim is just dang gorgeous in my Rift S. Everything truly looks quite good to me, and I so enjoyed flying and fighting with it while viewing the great graphics.

I keep hearing about how much better the Reverb is going to look. I sure hope so, and more importantly I hope I can continue

to run these very high settings with it as well. I look forward to finding out for myself.

Edited by dburne

AT 6:00 of this video MRTV says the current pre-order price for Reverb Gen2 in Europe of 580 Euro will go up to 690 Euro after July 31.

• Thanks 1

On 7/19/2020 at 7:12 AM, QB.Gordon200 said:

Hmm colours and contrast look good but sweet spot......Just me or is that damn small?  Sure I get far better than that with the Samsung O+ (mind you I hate its contrast)

Maybe its because its a one eye view instead of the two?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, shirazjohn said:

Looks like the G2 will be the first supported headset for the up and coming Microsoft simulator. Should be a great experience,  shame there's no guns, bombs or rockets.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/30/21346743/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-support-confirmed-hp-reverb-g2-oculus-htc

Icing on the cake for a G2 pre-order although I fail to see, if it works with Reverb, why it wouldn’t work, out of the gate, across all, or most, headsets.

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Yes i agree I preordered mine last week , can't wait. 😀

I’ve always liked the idea of MS flight sim’s, it’s just that after an initial buzz of the new I tend to fairly quickly forget about them, the fun of flying just isn’t compelling enough.  It’ll be interesting to see if the latest incarnation, with high res VR, and with a far greater feeling of “presence”, really offers a much more captivating game that has far less to do with function and procedure.

2 hours ago, shirazjohn said:

Looks like the G2 will be the first supported headset for the up and coming Microsoft simulator. Should be a great experience,  shame there's no guns, bombs or rockets.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/7/30/21346743/microsoft-flight-simulator-vr-support-confirmed-hp-reverb-g2-oculus-htc

Well that is great news! Glad I have a G2 on pre-order.

Going to be interesting to see how it performs with it.

Is this supposed to come September?  I'm thinking of selling my G1 and just playing something else for a month.

1 hour ago, Bernard_IV said:

Is this supposed to come September?  I'm thinking of selling my G1 and just playing something else for a month.

As far as I know, there is no more information out than it's coming this fall for pre-orders.