YoYo

HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

10 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

The same observation is true for the Reverb's 4K, which is true for the Pimax wide FOV - there's no going back once you have enjoyed it (4K or wide FOV). You'll never be pleased.

That´s not exactly true. At least in my case.

I enjoyed the nice FOV of the Pimax5K+ and also the Reverb resolution, but I prefered the Index because the larger sweet spot, easy setup and performance. You know my reviews of one year ago.

11 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

No audiojack is an issue

Why is it an issue?  You can always dettach the G2 speakers (in the case you don´t like them, IMHO they are great in the index) and use your own headphones using a 3.5mm jack or USB in the computer. The only issue is another cable, but being seated I think is OK.

hey guys. Didnt they say preorders in europe would start in june?

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

That´s not exactly true. At least in my case.

I enjoyed the nice FOV of the Pimax5K+ and also the Reverb resolution, but I prefered the Index because the larger sweet spot, easy setup and performance. You know my reviews of one year ago.

Why is it an issue?  You can always dettach the G2 speakers (in the case you don´t like them, IMHO they are great in the index) and use your own headphones using a 3.5mm jack or USB in the computer. The only issue is another cable, but being seated I think is OK.

I remember your review, but I disagreed with it. I suspect this is owed to the fact we had different serial numbers of the Pimax units. I might have had a later version too, I don't know what yours was, and I had a larger "sweet spot" (by your definition) in the Pimax 5K+ than in the Index. I A/B compared them. So the point is - we might have had different 5K+ units, so we're both speaking the truth from our experiences. Pimax was barely out of a start-up-phase company and production process changed a lot in a single year.

I think I'll have to summarize a comparison of gen 1.5 as well, maybe in July when I got more time. Ironically, the Cosmos Elite with GearVR Lens-Mod turned out to have the sharpest picture, largest sweetspot, best edge-to-edge clarity of all. Lend an Index to A/B compare that again as well (still got it here). I couldn't use the HP Reverb Pro (v1, later v2) properly because of my 69mm IPD and the lack if IPD slider, so even that couldn't compete for my IPD case, and sent it back.

Regarding the points made of the G2's shortcomings:

The aux port of the G2: If he sits only, that'll be no problem and should not be an issue then. Just pull a second wire.

The controllers: I did use Index Controllers with the HP Reverb Pro v2. Also coupled them with a Samsung Odyssey, just for the heck of it. Should be possible with the Reverb G2 as well.

@Winger From what I have heard there will be no pre-orders by HP for Europe. US market will get served first, and HP Europe might follow later. There is a store in NL that sells the HP Reverb G2 as a pre-order.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

That does look nice, however I would have been more interested in seeing things off at a distance somewhat rather than in the face.

Still a bit of on the fence on this one. 

Posted (edited)
On 6/4/2020 at 8:36 AM, chiliwili69 said:

Yes I live in Spain, in Zaragoza. I didn´t use the warranty of my previous G1, I only use it for 1-2 months after resolving that I was going to keep my current Index. I gave it to a team I love too much.

I really don´t know how the 2-year warranty would work in this case. 

If the device shows a defect just at arrival then I think I have 15 days to deliver it back to the retailer. After this 15 days then it is the warranty.

I am not sure if HP Spain will cover the warranty for people who live in Spain with HP european products, this is something I will need to know if I keep the G2 and something doesn´t work.

In bestware.com the reverb g2 is priced at 583.90 tax and shipping included!

https://www.bestware.com/en/HP-reverb-g2.html

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
Http to https

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

http://www.bestware.com/en/HP-reverb-g2.html

Is this reliable? The http instead of https is not too convincing.

Edited by HunDread

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HunDread said:

Is this reliable? The http instead of https is not too convincing.

I inserted the URL manually. They allow you to pay with PayPal. I have bought it there.

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

I ordered it too now. The store has good standing on trusted. And you cant do anything wrong with paypal.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

583.9€ is a very good price!! this include VAT, and they say shipping is included for orders above 500€.

When I made my order in the netherlands webpage (https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/hp-reverb-g2-new-generation.html) the total with VAT and shipping was 725€!  775€!!

It is nice to see how the price go down in just a month.  😉

Edited by chiliwili69

19 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

583.9€ is a very good price!! this include VAT, and they say shipping is included for orders above 500€.

When I made my order in the netherlands webpage (https://www.derekenwinkel.nl/hp-reverb-g2-new-generation.html) the total with VAT and shipping was 725€!

It is nice to see how the price go down in just a month.  😉

you can always cancel an reorder:)

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2020 at 3:42 AM, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Pre-Orders now available in 9 countries! Pre-orders are now live in 9 countries!  * USA * UK * Germany * Austria * Belgium * Switzerland * Netherlands * Norway * New Zealand You can get to the pre-order page via this link

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271440/HP_Reverb_G2/

If you are impatient and want to pre-order from Australia you can, apparently, order from:

https://www.pbtech.com/au/product/MVRHDT3000105/HP-Reverb-VR-3000-Windows-Mixed-Reality-4K-Reverb NOTE: 08/07/2020 This link has now been removed from the PB Tech Website, looks like they jumped the gun for listing the item in Australia, still available for Pre-order for N.Z.

N.Z. company with Australia delivery options.

Would note that the price is $1008.10 AUD including GST.  The same company has it on their N.Z. site for $899  so if you wait for it to be officially available in Aust, it may be a bit cheaper.

Interesting that N.Z. can pre-order but Australia cannot given that we are "just across the ditch".  

I have not pre-ordered it from this site, this is just a FYI for those who just cannot wait. :)

CORRECTION The NZ site now has it for $1099  hopefully some our Kiwi participants managed to pre-order at the lower price.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
Changed Web Site price for NZ, Aust link not working now

27 minutes ago, Winger said:

you can always cancel an reorder:)

Well, I thought it was 725€ but taking a closer look of my order made at 29th-May and paid with PayPal the total was 775€ after including VAT and shipping!

paypal.png.b81b1deebbd23c34c153086d7fc544c1.png

I Will not order now , I have a reverb now - but I'm really looking forward to hear about your experience with the new one   👍😁

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

If you are impatient and want to pre-order from Australia you can, apparently, order from:

https://www.pbtech.com/au/product/MVRHDT3000105/HP-Reverb-VR-3000-Windows-Mixed-Reality-4K-Reverb

N.Z. company with Australia delivery options.

Would note that the price is $1008.10 AUD including GST.  The same company has it on their N.Z. site for $899  so if you wait for it to be officially available in Aust, it may be a bit cheaper.

Interesting that N.Z. can pre-order but Australia cannot given that we are "just across the ditch".  

I have not pre-ordered it from this site, this is just a FYI for those who just cannot wait. :)

CORRECTION The NZ site now has it for $1099  hopefully some our Kiwi participants managed to pre-order at the lower price.

TY . I was waiting for Pimax but have changed my mind due to world events and which country will get My Australian Dollars ! Where is the HP Reverb made ? 

6 minutes ago, jaydee said:

TY . I was waiting for Pimax but have changed my mind due to world events and which country will get My Australian Dollars ! Where is the HP Reverb made ? 

I presume that it is made in China along with all the other VR headsets :(

Other may be able to be more concise.

41 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Well, I thought it was 725€ but taking a closer look of my order made at 29th-May and paid with PayPal the total was 775€ after including VAT and shipping!

paypal.png.b81b1deebbd23c34c153086d7fc544c1.png

Same for me. I'm thinking about trying to cancel this one and order from the other seller.

6 minutes ago, HunDread said:

I'm thinking about trying to cancel this one and order from the other seller.

I have contacted them to see If I can cancel my order to them. 200€ is a big difference and I am not in a hurry.

If they don´t accept a cancelllation I will then be forced to open a dispute through PayPal, we have 180 days from the transanction day and the item has not even been dispatched.

22 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

I have contacted them to see If I can cancel my order to them. 200€ is a big difference and I am not in a hurry.

If they don´t accept a cancelllation I will then be forced to open a dispute through PayPal, we have 180 days from the transanction day and the item has not even been dispatched.

I contacted them too. Let's hope they can resolve it quickly and painlessly.

The Netherlands retailer replied me regatrding the Bestware price:

"This German reseller has made a mistake, they are using incl pricing for excl. "

I assume HP will apply the same pricing policy for retailers in EU. Let´s see then if Bestware price is with or without VAT.

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I ordered the G2 from Schenker 3 days before pre-orders were up.. 😁. Will test the headset as well. We'll see.

P.S. It is including VAT 16% in Germany.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

"This German reseller has made a mistake, they are using incl pricing for excl. "

I assume HP will apply the same pricing policy for retailers in EU. Let´s see then if Bestware price is with or without VAT.

I actually placed the order with bestware expecting that one way or another the De Rekelwinkel order can be cancelled later. It was including VAT. I payed the €583.90 as displayed on the product page

EDIT: even if they add the 80 EURO VAT later it's still only 660 EURO insted of the 775 with De Rekelwinkel

Edited by HunDread

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Bestware is vat included

imagen.thumb.png.3c126a38f4d3c38c4f5baf934e501e3e.png

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
  • Thanks 2

Just now, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

If you register to the Bestware Newsletter you are supposed to get a 50€ discount code by mail for the next 500€ order. I didn't get the code so far, so not sure if true.

this promo finished some days ago.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Bestware is vat included

I told that reddit link to the Dutch retailer and they just told me:

"No, it is not correct is the guarantee from HP. They have to increase their pricing and all orders placed will be deleted or the customers have to pay the difference. All over Europe, the price is set at €699 incl. VAT."

What a real mess!

I have asked to cancel my pre-order at the Dutch retailer and has made a new one at the bestware. If finally prices are really equalized (independently of the VAT of every EU country) at least the shipping cost for Spain will be free of charge.

26 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

"No, it is not correct is the guarantee from HP. They have to increase their pricing and all orders placed will be deleted or the customers have to pay the difference. All over Europe, the price is set at €699 incl. VAT."

What a real mess!

I have asked to cancel my pre-order at the Dutch retailer and has made a new one at the bestware. If finally prices are really equalized (independently of the VAT of every EU country) at least the shipping cost for Spain will be free of charge.

The UK seller had a high price too compared with the one at bestware, what has happened in this 24h? They have decreased the price!

I think these Dutch guys have to fight their own battle with HP.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

What a real mess!

Yeah it's strange in any case but it's actually a discount now on bestware. So we can interpret it in a way that they are not going below HP pricing, they are just doing a temporary discount which they might be free to do. But I'm really just guessing here.

image.png.09ecac337a0c697159a13da2d40f1630.png

Anyway I received an e-mail from De Rekelwinkel that they are cancelling my order and will return the money tomorrow.

Edited by HunDread

@chiliwili69 @SCG_Fenris_Wolf     Would the two of you go with Reverb G2 or Valve Index for flying IL2? And why?

(I'm starting with Chili's strategy of buying every headset and then selling them...I have an Artisan but it's not yet quite good enough for me to say it's the headset that I want to use for the next year or more).

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

@chiliwili69 @SCG_Fenris_Wolf     Would the two of you go with Reverb G2 or Valve Index for flying IL2? And why?

(I'm starting with Chili's strategy of buying every headset and then selling them...I have an Artisan but it's not yet quite good enough for me to say it's the headset that I want to use for the next year or more).

zGwgjwX.jpgtake it with a grain of salt although he says he is independent he may be influenced/biased

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR

9 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Great way to sell this to the family: You're not buying new headsets, you're an amateur computer hardware redistributor.

Pff I decide what gets bought or not here. 😁

Regarding picture quality in that price range (500-600) of released headsets for simming, the order is:

HP Reverb Pro G1 (if your IPD is around 64mm only!) >> Cosmos Elite with GearVR LensMod (yes indeed) > Valve Index. 

I can and will only rate headsets which I have actually tested, so speculation on the Reverb G2 - I can't make.

The Pimax 5K+ SN204 needs modding and with that reaches 900-1000, thus is out of the price range. Its picture is without distortion and en par with the Index, with a much larger FOV (200° vs 130°, both numbers diagonal). But again, out of the price range. Most used 5K+ you may find to buy second-hand will be SN202 or SN203, which had different panels: Over 15% less utilization and thus a less sharp picture and incomplete distortion profiles - so they are cheaper. Their picture isn't as good as the SN204's.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

HP Reverb Pro G1 (if your IPD is around 64mm only!) 

?? Why's that?  I have an IPD of 60.5 (typical narrow beady primate eyes) and I'm extremely pleased with my HP Reverb.  

Edited by Stoopy
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

Pff I decide what gets bought or not here. 😁

Regarding picture quality in that price range (500-600) of released headsets for simming, the order is:

HP Reverb Pro G1 (if your IPD is around 64mm only!) >> Cosmos Elite with GearVR LensMod (yes indeed) > Valve Index. 

I can and will only rate headsets which I have actually tested, so speculation on the Reverb G2 - I can't make.

The Pimax 5K+ SN204 needs modding and with that reaches 900-1000, thus is out of the price range. Its picture is without distortion and en par with the Index, with a much larger FOV (200° vs 130°, both numbers diagonal). But again, out of the price range. Most used 5K+ you may find to buy second-hand will be SN202 or SN203, which had different panels: Over 15% less utilization and thus a less sharp picture and incomplete distortion profiles - so they are cheaper. Their picture isn't as good as the SN204's.

ignoring price for a second, let’s include Pimax. Would you rate a 5k+ better or worse than a Reverb?

I’m disappointed with my Artisan but haven't given up yet. What’s your IPD? Mine is 62.8 as measured by optometrist, and I find I can’t get the Pimax lenses close enough for best sweet spot. Maybe thin face foam would help?

why would you say index is so much worse than Reverb G1 for simming? Purely the resolution I guess?

Im at the “screw it, blow money on a better experience” stage....

5 hours ago, Alonzo said:

ignoring price for a second, let’s include Pimax. Would you rate a 5k+ better or worse than a Reverb?

I’m disappointed with my Artisan but haven't given up yet. What’s your IPD? Mine is 62.8 as measured by optometrist, and I find I can’t get the Pimax lenses close enough for best sweet spot. Maybe thin face foam would help?

why would you say index is so much worse than Reverb G1 for simming? Purely the resolution I guess?

Im at the “screw it, blow money on a better experience” stage....

MRTV will release a review today, stay tuned, I will link it here anyway

11 hours ago, Alonzo said:

Would the two of you go with Reverb G2 or Valve Index for flying IL2? And why?

It is really the Fenris strategy since he is also buying the Pimax8KX, I have just pass on the 8KX even having a big discount as Pimax backer. Although I love the Pimax guys for pushing the VR tech to the limits.

I still have not an answer for your question since I have not the ReverbG2, but I will keep just one of the two.

As you realizsed with the Artisan the best way to know which headset is best for you, you need to test it. Of course, you pay an extra: the difference between buy a new one and selling second hand ( although this difference can be even positive when Rift-S or Index is scarce or not available in other countries).

There is many things that are need to be counted to choose a headset: Confort, performance, tracking, clarity, resolution, sweetspot, FOV, distorsions, colors, audio, etc, etc

Since you have Artisan and Rift-S, both budget VR headsets, I would spend more time on adjusting the Artisan until you get what you should. Then you can tell to the people your comparison of both of them. 

If budget allows then buy an Index (just only device for 539€) and also the ReverG2.

Then keep just one and sell the others.

6 hours ago, Alonzo said:

As you know, I am not sharing the same thinking that Fenris, that´s why it is important to test personally every device.

My tests of Reverb vs Index are here as you know: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53603-valve-index-vs-hp-reverb-through-the-lens-pictures/

The bad sweetspot (definition#2) of the Reverb comparing to Index was a big obstacle for me.

Hi guys.

Just a quick piece of advice please!

I'm sorely tempted by the Reverb G2, but there are a few games in my Oculus library (I currently have a Rift S) that I'd like to continue to play.

Can I play them using a Reverb if I was to get one? It seems that Revive might make that a possibility but does anyone have "hands-on" experience of doing this using a non-Oculus headset and is it any good?

Thanks everyone :)

44 minutes ago, wheeliemonsta said:

Hi guys.

Just a quick piece of advice please!

I'm sorely tempted by the Reverb G2, but there are a few games in my Oculus library (I currently have a Rift S) that I'd like to continue to play.

Can I play them using a Reverb if I was to get one? It seems that Revive might make that a possibility but does anyone have "hands-on" experience of doing this using a non-Oculus headset and is it any good?

Thanks everyone :)

Revive would be the only way, and whilst I have never used it I understand it can be a bit of hit and miss at times.

I just pulled the trigger myself on the Reverb G2 Pre-Order. I will be keeping my Rift S for my Oculus Games I enjoy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Revive would be the only way, and whilst I have never used it I understand it can be a bit of hit and miss at times.

I just pulled the trigger myself on the Reverb G2 Pre-Order. I will be keeping my Rift S for my Oculus Games I enjoy.

Cheers Don. It's a pretty good price for what you get, so I will probably pull the trigger too - just working out whether I can aid the finances by selling my Rift S :) :) 

1 minute ago, wheeliemonsta said:

Cheers Don. It's a pretty good price for what you get, so I will probably pull the trigger too - just working out whether I can aid the finances by selling my Rift S :) :) 

Yeah I understand. I have some joysticks I no longer use I am going to gather all the hardware together for and sell them, probably along with my Rift CV1, to help offset the cost or maybe even get lucky and pay for the Reverb G2. At least that is how I justify in my mind, we'll see if I get around to it lol.