HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

9 minutes ago, QB.Gordon200 said:

@unlikely_spider @hedger72 @CDRSEABEE Widmovr, a supplier of prescription VR lenses I have relied on for years, has announced they are taking orders for Reverb G2 lenses.

I ordered a moment ago. Although there is plenty of room for eye glasses in the G2 headset I have progressive bifocal lenses. In VR you only use distant vision so in order to see my instruments I need to tilt my head down. Widmovr lenses solve that problem.

https://widmovr.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-prescription-lens-adapters/

Oh, man - that was quicker than I expected! Ordered just now. Thanks so much!!

Edit - I didn't see their notification that these became available last night because the email went into my junk inbox 😒

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, QB.Gordon200 said:

@unlikely_spider @hedger72 @CDRSEABEE Widmovr, a supplier of prescription VR lenses I have relied on for years, has announced they are taking orders for Reverb G2 lenses.

I ordered a moment ago. Although there is plenty of room for eye glasses in the G2 headset I have progressive bifocal lenses. In VR you only use distant vision so in order to see my instruments I need to tilt my head down. Widmovr lenses solve that problem.

https://widmovr.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-prescription-lens-adapters/

nm. They are a snap on.

Man, I wish these guys would make replacement lenses for G2. Adding another layer of lenses on top of the existing ones narrows an already narrow FOV of G2.

- In my VivePro the FOV = 104

- In G2 the FOV = 94

if you add the corrective lenses on top of it you'll lose another 5 degrees or so. Dang.

Edited by 69th_Didney_World
52 minutes ago, c6_lefuneste said:

I didn't notice with my Reverb pro and my corrective lenses...

perhaps i've overstated, I just played around with the IPD and tried to see how close I could get the lenses to my eyes, pulling the hmd away from the face made it look even more narrower..

It'd be awesome if we had a chance to replace lenses altogether, but due to all of the chromatic aberration settings per HMD I doubt they'll ever allow it. Maybe if they had dev units it'd be a bit different..

54 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

I'm finding that my Reverb G2 won't let me adjust my seat position in the cockpit using F10. That used to work fine with my Oculus Quest, but not on the G2. Anyone else have this problem?

Start IL-2 in 2d mode and do it from there.

This is the method I use:

Adjusting the default head position:
1. Ensure any head tracking software (such as TrackIR) is disabled.
2. Make sure you cockpit view is centered by pressing the numpad 5 key (Pilot head: snap position center).
3. Adjust your camera view to the left and to the right with the Delete (Move pilot head left) and the End keys (Move pilot head right), respectively.
4. Adjust your camera view forward and backward with the Insert (Move pilot head forward) and the Home keys (Move pilot head backward), respectively.
5. Adjust your camera view up and down with the Page Up (Move pilot head up) and the Page Down keys (Move pilot head down), respectively.
6. Once you are satisfied with your changes, press the F10 key (Save current corrections in head snap position). If at any time before this step you want to revert to the default head position, press the numpad 5 key.

On 11/18/2020 at 7:00 PM, jster409 said:

So after reading everyone raving about the G2 image quality in IL-2, I'm wondering if I have something very wrong in my settings. Objects/gauges that are within a (virtual) foot or two of my face are perfectly clear and detailed. But sitting in most cockpits, the farther instruments still look to me almost as blurry as they did with the CV1. When I zoom in on them (or lean very close) they are razor sharp down to reading the finest print on who manufactured the gauge). Aircraft and ground targets do look much better than CV1, but are still relatively jagged and shimmery.

I have Steam VR res set to 50% to be just over 2160x2160, and I'm using FXAA. Is this normal? Is it likely something with my own vision? I use reading glasses sometimes for (RL) fine print, but the situation in the G2 is the same with or without them. It's almost like the point at which the image focuses is just too close, or there is very low depth of field. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. I can try cranking up the SS in Steam VR, but it sounds like others are running at the stock resolution and not having the blurring I'm seeing. 

Not sure if it applies in this case but you might have a read in this thread of Steam VR forum.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/2970649384343848002/

Does the G2 only look sharper than G1, because they increased the default render resolution in steamVR? I hope not 🙂

(100% G2 seems to render a higher resolution than 100% G1)

Would really like to know the real render resolution of the G2 reviewers.

(Dont get me wrong I love my G1 and think the G2 is a great HMD in any case. But such a move would be kind of shady.)

Edited by Gomoto
1 hour ago, fiddlinjim said:

What Don has described is the only way I have found to correct/reset the head position in VR.

Thanks to both of you! Odd that while using my Quest a week ago I was able to change my default head position and simply save it with F10. I guess it’s back to the old 2D method.

I also notice in my G2 (compared to my previous Quest) that I have much less head movement in the cockpit. For example, last night I was completely unable to look around the front gunner’s ammo belt in the Ju88 to see my gauges and the cockpit photo (I use the cockpit photos mod).

25 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

I also notice in my G2 (compared to my previous Quest) that I have much less head movement in the cockpit. For example, last night I was completely unable to look around the front gunner’s ammo belt in the Ju88 to see my gauges and the cockpit photo (I use the cockpit photos mod).

The developers need to revisit the VR head limits in these cockpits.  Some of these planes have really small tolerances that severely disrupt the immersion.  

56 minutes ago, Gomoto said:

Does the G2 only look sharper than G1, because they increased the default render resolution in steamVR? I hope not 🙂

(100% G2 seems to render a higher resolution than 100% G1)

Would really like to know the real render resolution of the G2 reviewers.

(Dont get me wrong I love my G1 and think the G2 is a great HMD in any case. But such a move would be kind of shady.)

No that is a confirmed bug and should be fixed at some point. This affects only the G2.

Currently around 50% is the correct global video resolution setting, at least as close as one can get to it. Game profile video resolution settings are correct at 100%.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, dburne said:

Not sure if it applies in this case but you might have a read in this thread of Steam VR forum.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/2970649384343848002/

Thanks Don! That seems to be a different issue. I'll have some more time this weekend to experiment and sort things out, and will share anything that might be useful to others. Grateful as always for the great community support. 

11 hours ago, Charlo-VR said:

Thanks to both of you! Odd that while using my Quest a week ago I was able to change my default head position and simply save it with F10. I guess it’s back to the old 2D method.

This issue is fixed for me now, though not sure how. I plugged back in my Oculus Quest 1 and verified I can still change my default seat position while in VR by simply moving to where I want my view, then pressing F10.

So, I tried doing that in my Reverb G2 and F10 still didn't work - then it occurred to me that perhaps the Reverb needs me to at least connect the controllers, even if I never use them. In the process of doing that I was suddenly able to change my default seat position and save it using F10. It even works when I have the controllers in a drawer, so no visual signal to the headset.

I rather doubt the controllers were the issue, I just wanted to share this here so others will know it is possible to save default cockpit seat positions while in VR, including in the Reverb G2. 

• Like 1

It is a shame HP did not enable an option for a 80Hz mode.

I could probably run the sim in all it's glory with my rig in the G2 at native resolution with 80 Hz.

I can do it easily with 60 Hz, but I can't stand that low a refresh rate. IMHO 60 Hz in VR is no good for gaming.

80 Hz I am sure I would have been fine, Rift S handles 80 Hz ok.

That is ok though I can get pretty close to 90 fps with just a couple of graphics options toned down a little.

6 hours ago, dburne said:

It is a shame HP did not enable an option for a 80Hz mode.

I could probably run the sim in all it's glory with my rig in the G2 at native resolution with 80 Hz.

I can do it easily with 60 Hz, but I can't stand that low a refresh rate. IMHO 60 Hz in VR is no good for gaming.

80 Hz I am sure I would have been fine, Rift S handles 80 Hz ok.

That is ok though I can get pretty close to 90 fps with just a couple of graphics options toned down a little.

Hmm, I've been running 60HZ for 9 months and have been pretty happy with it, as all I play is MP.

15 minutes ago, 71st_AH_statuskuo said:

Hmm, I've been running 60HZ for 9 months and have been pretty happy with it, as all I play is MP.

Well maybe I should give it another try, my initial impression was not great. I mean I could tell it was a lower refresh rate and seemed to make me a little queasy after a few short minutes.  Certainly I could put my graphics back on full. I may give it another shot and fly longer with it and see how I do.

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_statuskuo said:

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Well maybe I should give it another try, my initial impression was not great. I mean I could tell it was a lower refresh rate and seemed to make me a little queasy after a few short minutes.  Certainly I could put my graphics back on full. I may give it another shot and fly longer with it and see how I do.

I'm limited to 60Hz on my Reverb G2 until I can pounce on a 30XX or 6800 XT GPU to replace my Titan X Hybrid that only has DisplayPort 1.2. My Quest was limited to 72 Mz, I fly mostly MP, and I haven't felt unpleasant at either of those refresh rates, but I am looking forward to seeing what 90 Hz looks like. @dburneI'll also be curious what you think of 60 Hz vs. 90Hz in your Reverb G2.

12 hours ago, dburne said:

I'm sure everyone has different sensitivities to the refresh rate.   Main thing for me was no ghosting due to reprojection which I had on for 90Hz.   There are times in MP when it drops below 60Hz and that does look it pretty bad.

55 minutes ago, 71st_AH_statuskuo said:

I'm sure everyone has different sensitivities to the refresh rate.   Main thing for me was no ghosting due to reprojection which I had on for 90Hz.   There are times in MP when it drops below 60Hz and that does look it pretty bad.

Ok thanks , going to test it in a full PWCG Campaign mission here shortly.

Well I flew a PWCG mission to test, even though I can tell it is a lower refresh rate I did not have any real problem with it. Same graphics settings that I was running at 90 Hz and my fps never dipped below 60. However this mission did not yield a single enemy air to fight even though it was an Intercept mission, will try another shortly.

Seems all I am getting today is no enemy air ai flights in PWCG.

Not much into just sight seeing for hours so gonna take a break.

Maybe I will get back to it to check it out in a day or two.

So far it seems ok at 60 Hz but really want to see it in combat before making a determination.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Looks like Pat just released a fix (to the fix).  I will be interested to see how you feel about the 60 Hz.  Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up, I will give it a try tomorrow and see if it is better. 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bernard_IV said:

Looks like no more than 2x MSAA for the G2 with my 3080.  No chance at 8x MSAA at all.  It looks good.  I'll have to see how it does in the clouds.

Are you running G2 at 50% SteamVR, i.e. native resolution? What are the other IL-2 setting? I just have similar system (still waiting for 3080 though) and try to understand where I could be coming out on quality... Currently running Index with 1080Ti at 120% and getting c. 60fps at 120Hz.

22 hours ago, Varibraun said:

Looks like Pat just released a fix (to the fix).  I will be interested to see how you feel about the 60 Hz.  Thanks!

Ok so this latest update from Pat certainly corrected the situation for me regarding enemy air AI.

I have been flying all morning in PWCG campaign. Have had several furballs with many aircraft.

Running at 60 Hz I did not drop into re-projection at all, so that part is good.

I can definitely tell though I am running at a lower refresh rate. Hard to put my finger on it, I will just say I notice a difference. I imagine different folks will have different feelings on running it at 60 Hz.

However the sim is still gorgeous in it and I am able to run MSAA 2x ok and it looks so much better to me than 4x FXAA.

So I imagine I will run mine at 60 Hz just for IL-2 at least for now so I can have the Ultra settings again and smooth performance with no re-projection.

I enjoy other made for VR games and I will be using 90 Hz in those as I can run them at full graphics without breaking a sweat.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, Charlo-VR said:

@dburne, knowing you have a RTX 3090, your above post makes me feel more patient about upgrading my own ancient GPU that's locked to 60 Hz max :salute:

Yeah the Reverb has a bunch of pixels to push for sure. It is gorgeous though.

I imagine I could also reduce the resolution some below native and maybe get closer to constant 90 fps in 90 Hz and still have a good image, certainly better than my Rift S. I may have a try with that later in the week and see what I think.

One thing for sure - I have logged many hours in now with the Reverb G2 and I am absolutely loving it, no regrets on getting it at all so far.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

It is a bit discouraging to see that on a G2 an i7 9900 running above 5.0 ghz and a 3090 can’t produce 90 consistent FPS with game settings at or even a little below max. I was expecting FPS to no longer be an issue with a high end rig and one of the new gpu’s. 

Sounds like the visuals are pretty amazing though. As long as the game runs uber smooth and no stuttering I suppose FPS isn’t the end all be all but still. It’s a ton of money for the hardware and headset and still it is unable to run at constant high frame rates. 

• Sad 1

Some initial impressions from someone with a mid-level MSI Ventus 2080 Ti & a i9 9900K. These comments may be somewhat applicable to people considering the 3070

Frame rates referred to are those available in IL2 via the Back Space option. Tests were conducted in heavily wooded hilly terrain in Kuban map and over built up area's in ground attack roles

Running FXAA x2 (will try x4 at some stage) with most settings on medium. Steam setting at 48%

Graphics Low Setting: No problem with running 90 Hz but in cockpit & terrain graphics are seriously degraded. setting not recommended.

Balanced setting: No problem with running 90 Hz, great cockpit graphics and good ground scenery but re-draw range is quite obvious and somewhat intrusive @500 metres + flying altitude. Flying low and fast overcomes the redraw issue i.e. 100 - 200 m @ 400+ km/h. Rendered objects are stable.

High Setting: Still getting 85 - 90 Hz but rendered objects (when looking out left or right i.e. not straight ahead) can be blurry and trees get some kind of weird rotation effect

Ultra setting: Have not bothered to test this :)

I have settled on using Balanced Setting as I am finding it the most immersive option. I find it easier to identify ground targets with the G2, when using the Rift S had to use the zoom options. Maintaining a 90 Hz frame rate is a key requirement for me. Will do some fine tuning in the future and need to look at the motion smoothing option.

I have noted that the left hand side upper portion of the G2 can get rather warm and I do have some concerns about the amount of heat it generates as our Aussie summer commences.

Edited by RAAF492SQNOz_Steve
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

I have noted that the left hand side upper portion of the G2 can get rather warm and I do have some concerns about the amount of heat it generates as our Aussie summer commences.

Yeah, I noticed my G2 gets and stays warm even when I am not using it, with the HP logo always lit up. I now leave its USB C cable unplugged from my computer so it doesn't stay warm the 23 hours a day I am not using it. 

23 hours ago, ACG_Mephisto said:

Are you running G2 at 50% SteamVR, i.e. native resolution? What are the other IL-2 setting? I just have similar system (still waiting for 3080 though) and try to understand where I could be coming out on quality... Currently running Index with 1080Ti at 120% and getting c. 60fps at 120Hz.

Yes I'm at native res (I think) MSAA eats up GPU fast.

Guys, I've read your messages. 

The reason he can't run at 90Hz is the CPU bottleneck. I think his 3090 can't be the reason for this..:

I have "just" an MSI RTX 3080 Trio X and it runs fluid at 90Hz at 9.5Mio pixels - at full details (Ultra, everything maxed except clouds at High). Not overclocked. Since I got an AMD 5900x + MSI X570 Tomahawk (strong VRM setup) + 2x16GB 3800 CL16-16-16-32 RAM (Tridentz, 2x16 Dual Rank!!!), Corsair MP600 as main drive, decent Seasonic Gold+ at least 750W.

The motherboard and RAM are as essential as the CPU. You can't rely on just a good processor anymore, the timings need to fit, the power delivery must be stable and calm.

I recommend this upgrade, hence the post... It's the gate to pass to full settings at 90Hz 99% of the time.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
10 hours ago, RAAF492SQNOz_Steve said:

MSI Ventus 2080 Ti & a i9 9900K.

It would be nice if you could run the IL-2 Benchmark with your rig and the G2. So we can study the best hardware and settings to run with the G2.

As Fenris said, VR in IL-2 is mainly bottlenecked by CPU. Of course, if you use MSAA or a high %SS_STamVR in a weak GPU, then the GPU also could become bottleneck.

11 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

everything maxed

Do you use FXAA or MSAA? x2 or x4?

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

It would be nice if you could run the IL-2 Benchmark with your rig and the G2. So we can study the best hardware and settings to run with the G2.

As Fenris said, VR in IL-2 is mainly bottlenecked by CPU. Of course, if you use MSAA or a high %SS_STamVR in a weak GPU, then the GPU also could become bottleneck.

Do you use FXAA or MSAA? x2 or x4?

9.5Mio pixels, so no, else this would be incredibly higher. Msaa is super inefficient and smudges contacts too much to spot them at range. I fly competitively in MP :)

13 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

MSI RTX 3080 Trio X

Do you think new AMD 6800XT could a be a better option when you have an AMD Zen3 CPU?  (shared memory, etc)

3 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

9.5Mio pixels

I was just asking if you used MSAA in-game settings? and what level?

3 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Do you think new AMD 6800XT could a be a better option when you have an AMD Zen3 CPU?  (shared memory, etc)

I don't know yet. Benchmarks by der8auer and Igorslab have indicated the AMD cards pull away at 1440p but are slower at 4K and beyond.

We are playing above and beyond 4K here, and at 90Hz even.

Will have to see how the 6900xt performs, but the 6800xt from my knowledge doesn't cut it at these resolutions. Just judging from available benchmarks.. :(

p.S. the RTX 3000 series will get SAM enabled too (shared memory via PCIe4). AMD's CPU section is working with Nvidia, that's been confirmed.