HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

1 hour ago, Patersonski said:

FOV is obviously impacted by the IPD slider. I have it at the widest setting, which also maximizes FOV. If your IPD is narrow the FOV gain over the Rift S will be less, but still noticeable

I don't think it's impacted by IPD. If you have 62 IPD and set the slider to 62 you have the same FOV as someone with 68 IPD setting the slider to 68.

If you set the slider to wider than your IPD you might gain some negligible FOV by compromising your experience.

• Upvote 1

Are any of the new G2 owners biologically blessed with a wide IPD? I'm also "eyeing" the G2 as my first foray into the VR skies, but with an IPD of 71, it's difficult to settle on a VR headset which would accommodate. I understand that the manual adjust on the G2 goes up to 68, but that still is slightly shy of my magic number. Wondering if any could comment on their experiences. 

2 hours ago, HunDread said:

I don't think it's impacted by IPD. If you have 62 IPD and set the slider to 62 you have the same FOV as someone with 68 IPD setting the slider to 68.

If you set the slider to wider than your IPD you might gain some negligible FOV by compromising your experience.

I think only index has min/max FoV result with it's adjustment customization and that is presented in pic i posted about FoV tests

1 hour ago, hedger72 said:

Are any of the new G2 owners biologically blessed with a wide IPD? I'm also "eyeing" the G2 as my first foray into the VR skies, but with an IPD of 71, it's difficult to settle on a VR headset which would accommodate. I understand that the manual adjust on the G2 goes up to 68, but that still is slightly shy of my magic number. Wondering if any could comment on their experiences. 

I've read somewhere that only pimax could fit ppl with such wide ipd!

Most HMD are 60-68mm

Received my new earbuds today.

Now the sound is great. Plenty of volume, nice bass and rich sounds - and loud as I would want.

Don't get me wrong quality of sound in the G2 is quite good, I just could never get it loud enough for my tastes.

Plus I was getting noise pollution from other sources as the G2 is off ear headphones.

With earbuds all other noises are isolated which is how I like it.

Another benefit of having a wider IPD is the better left/right 3D vision gained because of the reduced nose interference/blockage on one eye when glancing hard left/right.

My IPD is equal distance with both eyes, but most people have a different left/right distance from the center of their nose, so depending on the difference it might be possible to get one eye within 1mm of the headset's proper IPD setting.  If so, you may gain enough clarity from the closest eye to minimize the overall negative effects...

2 hours ago, Drum said:

My IPD is equal distance with both eyes, but most people have a different left/right distance from the center of their nose, so depending on the difference it might be possible to get one eye within 1mm of the headset's proper IPD setting.  If so, you may gain enough clarity from the closest eye to minimize the overall negative effects...

That is a very interesting - I have never considered that, nor do I know how symmetrical my IPD spacing is. I'll definitely need to look into that. There's hope yet!

• Like 1

I am not entirely sure motion reprojection is kicking in properly for IL-2.

It should be fps of 45 or 90, but I am seeing some intermittent fps fluctuations in between 45 and 90, followed by maybe a little stutter when it does.

I tested it in DCS and it behaves as it should,. 45 or 90 with nothing in between, and smooth at both rates.

I set it up in Steam VR for IL-2 same way as I did for DCS.

Will test more tomorrow. Did a lot of flying today in PWCG Campaign with Reverb G2, still rocking on quite nicely.

28 minutes ago, dburne said:

It should be fps of 45 or 90, but I am seeing some intermittent fps fluctuations in between 45 and 90, followed by maybe a little stutter when it does.

I tested it in DCS and it behaves as it should,. 45 or 90 with nothing in between, and smooth at both rates.

Will test more tomorrow. Did a lot of flying today in PWCG Campaign with Reverb G2, still rocking on quite nicely.

dburne, aside from your reproduction issue I took note of FPS fluctuating between 45-90. With the monster machine you have are you actually seeing FPS under say 60? Even with the g2 I wouldn’t have expected you would see much below 80 or so. Just curious what your seeing having logged some flight time with your new goodies. 

35 minutes ago, TheSNAFU said:

dburne, aside from your reproduction issue I took note of FPS fluctuating between 45-90. With the monster machine you have are you actually seeing FPS under say 60? Even with the g2 I wouldn’t have expected you would see much below 80 or so. Just curious what your seeing having logged some flight time with your new goodies. 

Don't know, probably not as it drops down to 45 fps for reprojection. I have all settings pretty much maxed though.

I could probably check that by changing refresh to 60 Hz in WMR and run a flight and see if it drops down to 30 fps reprojection.

Maybe I will check that tomorrow.

I will also try forcing reprojection to 45 fps and see how that goes.

Edited by dburne

Well it seems the stock of the first batch meant for the EU hasn't even left HP's factories yet. Oh wait, it got distributed to local Aussie and US retailers... people who ordered in September got their Reverb G2 already.

They say it will take at least another 2 to 3 weeks before Europeans get a Reverb G2.

Enough time to tune my new system,.... 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/35564379

(I know it's not the best of benchmarking softwares, but it's good for an overview and comparison)

Oh and one other thing I noticed with the Reverb G2, previously with my Rift S IL-2 reported my FOV as 90 degrees - Reverb G2 it reports it as 94 degrees.

Certainly very small increase, and with my eyesight condition I did not notice any change.

Going to be testing the controllers out some today with another game and see how they do as I have not had much

chance to really use them yet. 

17 hours ago, dburne said:

@dburne did you find the place where the Motion Smoothing is actually configured?

I was playing with G2 yesterday and the "WMR for SteamVR" client doesn't have Motion Smoothing in Video or anywhere in the client.  I know I set the MS in SteamVR client when I was using VivePro, however I can no longer launch SteamVR client by itself to check the settings, it automatically launches the WMRSteamVR client...

11 minutes ago, 69th_Didney_World said:

@dburne did you find the place where the Motion Smoothing is actually configured?

I was playing with G2 yesterday and the "WMR for SteamVR" client doesn't have Motion Smoothing in Video or anywhere in the client.  I know I set the MS in SteamVR client when I was using VivePro, however I can no longer launch SteamVR client by itself to check the settings, it automatically launches the WMRSteamVR client...

It is in Steam VR.

The game needs to be running for it to show up in the videos settings menu.

rZQFYKA.jpg

• Upvote 1
6 minutes ago, 69th_Didney_World said:

huh.. how strange..  Ok, thank you for the pointers! 😄  I'll give it a try.

Only Steam games show up by default in that settings menu, so if you have Steam version of IL-2 it should be there without having to have the game running.

Non Steam games will show there only if running. 

Steam VR works ok but sure is clunky to use, especially when combined with WMR.

Pretty sure if all headsets were WMR VR would not have made it this long lol.

Edited by dburne
2 minutes ago, dburne said:

Only Steam games show up by default in that settings menu, so if you have Steam version of IL-2 it should be there without having to have the game running.

Non Steam games will show there only if running. 

Steam VR works ok but sure is clunky to use, especially when combined with WMR.

Pretty sure if all headsets were WMR VR would not have made it this long lol.

so it's a "per game" setting, not a global one and I was looking a the global config...  d'oh..

My next "want" is for someone to retrofit GearVR lenses to G2. The current lenses sweet spot is quite large at around ~40%-50% of the lens, however with GearVR it can be all the way 90-95%.  Having Fresnel lens as a go-to optics for all HMD manufacturers is baffling.

I have been testing the G2 controllers this morning.

So far they are not bad at all. I would say Rift S controllers are a little better at tracking, but really when the Rift S was released initially 

they were not as great, but got improved through firmware updates.

But I am not having an issue so far using the controllers in Alyx and my room is fairly dimly lit.

Being one that enjoys other VR games how the controllers would be was a concern for me, so far though I am not having any major issues with them.

And one thing I like better about them over Touch controllers - these actually turn off whereas the Rift S controllers usually stay in a stand by state 

draining the batteries. Will see how long these batteries last compared to the Touch batteries. May not be great either with all those bright white lights being lit up.

Course I may be the only guy in here that plays other VR games that use controllers lol.

Alyx in the Reverb G2 on Ultra Fidelity game setting is gorgeous.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, dburne said:

Course I may be the only guy in here that plays other VR games that use controllers lol.

This is one reason I am hesitant to purchase the G2. I play onward with lighthouse tracking and I'm concerned about going backwards in tracking fidelity. Perhaps its time to bite the bullet and just get the G2for IL2 and DCS.

16 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

This is one reason I am hesitant to purchase the G2. I play onward with lighthouse tracking and I'm concerned about going backwards in tracking fidelity. Perhaps its time to bite the bullet and just get the G2for IL2 and DCS.

Can't you use other controllers with lighthouses along with the G2 headset?

*I have not done this so maybe don't listen to me*

15 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

even with HMD there's a strange behavior in regards to tracking.

- with VivePro when I put on the HMD on the picture is rock solid

- with G2 I have a strange sense that there are micro-shakes, almost like 'tremors', but after wearing the headset for 5-10 minutes the sensation vanishes.

I suspect the VivePro has some sort of a 'deadzone' calibration for these shakes, i.e. it simply doesn't register these minute micro vibrations. Whereas with G2 there isn't such a deadzone, but luckily the brain kicks in 5 minutes later and performs the natural calibration.. 😄

39 minutes ago, 69th_Didney_World said:

even with HMD there's a strange behavior in regards to tracking.

- with VivePro when I put on the HMD on the picture is rock solid

- with G2 I have a strange sense that there are micro-shakes, almost like 'tremors', but after wearing the headset for 5-10 minutes the sensation vanishes.

I suspect the VivePro has some sort of a 'deadzone' calibration for these shakes, i.e. it simply doesn't register these minute micro vibrations. Whereas with G2 there isn't such a deadzone, but luckily the brain kicks in 5 minutes later and performs the natural calibration.. 😄

Sounds a little odd, can't say I am experiencing any micro-shakes putting headset on.

53 minutes ago, 69th_Didney_World said:

with G2 I have a strange sense that there are micro-shakes, almost like 'tremors', but after wearing the headset for 5-10 minutes the sensation vanishes.

Yes, I noticed that too when first trying the G2. As documented here I have been having problems with my G2. HP is sending a replacement but in the meantime I've been reading through various forum postings. One thing I learned is the new lenses in the G2 take 3 - 5 mins to warm up and be fully operational. Not a problem with  flying in IL2 since it'll take you that long to get in the cockpit etc before flight.

Nvidia is addressing the stutters we experience in Steamvr with their next update to be released soon.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, dburne said:

Sounds a little odd, can't say I am experiencing any micro-shakes putting headset on.

maybe it's me who has the tremors and G2 simply makes it visible to me 😄 

But in any case it's not there in VivePro, so there's gotta be some micro-shaking smoothing/deadzone calibration of sorts in the software..

I have been playing Half Life Alyx all morning into early afternoon and now already getting low battery message.

Message said it was disabling haptic feedback to help.

Ugh, guess those bright white lights helps use em up.

5 hours ago, dburne said:

And one thing I like better about them over Touch controllers - these actually turn off whereas the Rift S controllers usually stay in a stand by state 

draining the batteries. Will see how long these batteries last compared to the Touch batteries. May not be great either with all those bright white lights being lit up.

This is great, I hate the Battery Low nags that show up even when I never use the Touch controllers.

On 11/14/2020 at 3:39 PM, dburne said:

OMG guys, the Reverb G2 is simply drop dead gorgeous. You guys that are waiting for yours, you are in for one heck of a treat let me tell ya.

I will leave it at that.

Do you find the improved clarity helps IDing aircraft? I'm thinking of getting one and that's the problem I need to solve. Currently on Rift S. -Sully 

1 hour ago, -332FG-Sully-- said:

Do you find the improved clarity helps IDing aircraft? I'm thinking of getting one and that's the problem I need to solve. Currently on Rift S. -Sully 

I would probably not be the best source on that as I play single player only and have no problem toggling icons on.

I am sure it does some, surely can't hurt.

So after reading everyone raving about the G2 image quality in IL-2, I'm wondering if I have something very wrong in my settings. Objects/gauges that are within a (virtual) foot or two of my face are perfectly clear and detailed. But sitting in most cockpits, the farther instruments still look to me almost as blurry as they did with the CV1. When I zoom in on them (or lean very close) they are razor sharp down to reading the finest print on who manufactured the gauge). Aircraft and ground targets do look much better than CV1, but are still relatively jagged and shimmery.

I have Steam VR res set to 50% to be just over 2160x2160, and I'm using FXAA. Is this normal? Is it likely something with my own vision? I use reading glasses sometimes for (RL) fine print, but the situation in the G2 is the same with or without them. It's almost like the point at which the image focuses is just too close, or there is very low depth of field. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. I can try cranking up the SS in Steam VR, but it sounds like others are running at the stock resolution and not having the blurring I'm seeing. 

Edited by jster409

Try messing with the IPD and checking how that affects sharpness in near and far objects. Your pupils change distance slightly as you focus between near and far. I'm not impressed with the size of the sweet spot in these, but I've improved it by setting the IPD and the straps so that it sits correctly on my face.

4 hours ago, unlikely_spider said:

Try messing with the IPD and checking how that affects sharpness in near and far objects. Your pupils change distance slightly as you focus between near and far. I'm not impressed with the size of the sweet spot in these, but I've improved it by setting the IPD and the straps so that it sits correctly on my face.

Thanks spider! I likewise find that I have to have the headset positioned exactly right, but even when I'm sure I'm settled into the sweet spot, the results are the same. And I don't seem to have the same issue in The Other Sim (though in that one is a slide show on my GTX 1080, and sharpness does you no good when you're rocking 25 FPS...)

On 11/16/2020 at 6:10 AM, hedger72 said:

That is a very interesting - I have never considered that, nor do I know how symmetrical my IPD spacing is. I'll definitely need to look into that. There's hope yet!

It does not matter much, there is enough room for each nose to not be required to be in the center of the headset. Just shift headset to match both eyes and you'll be fine, your nose doesn't need to be fully centered :)

I have a 66-68mm IPD and tried the Reverb G1 with its 64mm. To me, that was usable for 60 minutes - then it increased eye-strain. World scale is off, you will be squinting, and be nauseated when you exit the headset. That is solely because of the mismatch of IPD being too large.

You need something in your IPD range, and at 71mm, that could only be the Index. You can max out the IPD slider and bring it up as close as possible to your eyes with the eye-relief function, which will further increase the possible IPD range. I would not mess with image stability and proper alignment.

I do not recommend the Pimax headsets anymore since I have received the 8KX. I've had the 8KX since September but just couldn't keep using it. It messes up your vision's stability, it's a real health hazard. They did change the lenses or lens distance to screen from the 5K+, if you read something else, that's simply a lie or wishful thinking of users. As a result, it seems the lenses do not break light to fit the view properly anymore as they'd be supposed to be. I went to the doctor to get measured, I had one eye rotating off to the side after using it for a few hours. He confirmed it by measuring my IPD multiple times and it would fluctuate. I also had the sensation of mismatched eye-rotation when waking up in the morning after playing 2-3 hours in the evening. Repeatedly. Basically, my left eye rotated left, my right eye to the right, and when opening the eyes it would take a while to re-focus. Pimax headsets, especially the latest generation, are hack-jobs. The original 5K+ had its lenses designed just for it - by people not working at Pimax - but Pimax didn't redesign them for the 8KX's different screen sizes, distances, etc. Probably because redesign + retooling is easily north of xxxk, given the size of these lenses. Plus the same high cost range to get an automatic distortion-profile programming per unit after assembly, which they still do not have. I know, I do not assume; they update global distortion profiles via patches, which make it better for some users and worse for others due to assembly tolerances. Now, each HTC, Oculus or Index (and thus also Reverb G2 due to the cooperation) come with individual distortion profiles per individual headset written into their Firmware. Not based on SKU, not based on batch or revision. Individually. So Pimax is a hack-job to me now. They also do not refund, so be aware.

I wanted to write the Reviews on G2 vs 8KX by now, but as you guys know, the G2 hasn't even been shipped to Europe yet at all. So it may just become an 8KX review.

Addendum, when re-reading this: I know some guys were lucky with theirs. It seems to have been a similar thing in the past - my 5K+ (sn204) was really really good. Other 5K+ owners reported terrible experiences. So there may be some 8KX that are circulating that may be good. The fact that the quality is not assured at all is enough for me to recommend to friends to not getting a Pimax headset.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 3
15 hours ago, jster409 said:

So after reading everyone raving about the G2 image quality in IL-2, I'm wondering if I have something very wrong in my settings. Objects/gauges that are within a (virtual) foot or two of my face are perfectly clear and detailed. But sitting in most cockpits, the farther instruments still look to me almost as blurry as they did with the CV1. When I zoom in on them (or lean very close) they are razor sharp down to reading the finest print on who manufactured the gauge). Aircraft and ground targets do look much better than CV1, but are still relatively jagged and shimmery.

I have Steam VR res set to 50% to be just over 2160x2160, and I'm using FXAA. Is this normal? Is it likely something with my own vision? I use reading glasses sometimes for (RL) fine print, but the situation in the G2 is the same with or without them. It's almost like the point at which the image focuses is just too close, or there is very low depth of field. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. I can try cranking up the SS in Steam VR, but it sounds like others are running at the stock resolution and not having the blurring I'm seeing. 

I wear glasses. There seems to be a kinda narrow sweet spot to me. Im coming from a O+. Dont get me wrong, this is a tremendous improvement to everything! Selling my O+.

I need to try contacts and see if the sweet spot changes. I could be my glasses since my real life sweet spot is narrow..😁

5 minutes ago, CDRSEABEE said:

I wear glasses. There seems to be a kinda narrow sweet spot to me. Im coming from a O+. Dont get me wrong, this is a tremendous improvement to everything! Selling my O+.

I need to try contacts and see if the sweet spot changes. I could be my glasses since my real life sweet spot is narrow..😁

I'm watching very closely as to when the prescription lenses for this headset become available. There seem to be at least two vendors who will make them. Looking forward to not having to wear glasses or contacts with the G2. It may be a bit of a wait though.

• Upvote 1
7 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

You need something in your IPD range, and at 71mm, that could only be the Index. You can max out the IPD slider and bring it up as close as possible to your eyes with the eye-relief function, which will further increase the possible IPD range. I would not mess with image stability and proper alignment.

Many thanks for the insightful and educational post Fenris_Wolf! It will certainly make my quest for a VR unit much easier - if not downright obvious! 😜

• Like 1

@unlikely_spider @hedger72 @CDRSEABEE Widmovr, a supplier of prescription VR lenses I have relied on for years, has announced they are taking orders for Reverb G2 lenses.

I ordered a moment ago. Although there is plenty of room for eye glasses in the G2 headset I have progressive bifocal lenses. In VR you only use distant vision so in order to see my instruments I need to tilt my head down. Widmovr lenses solve that problem.

https://widmovr.com/product/hp-reverb-g2-prescription-lens-adapters/

Edited by QB.Gordon200
  • Thanks 5
  • Upvote 1