YoYo

HP Reverb Second Generation 2020

Great video. The G2 looks as impressive as expected. Clearly an upgrade over the Index in terms of resolution. Let´s see if it is better overall.

The Quest2 is quite below on resolution over the G2, I was expecting more given the resolution numbers.

Also, If you look the F1 cars moving on the right side, you will see that in the Quest2 there is like a ghosting of the cars. Those moving objects doesn´t look good in Quest2.

2 hours ago, chiliwili69 said:

Also, If you look the F1 cars moving on the right side, you will see that in the Quest2 there is like a ghosting of the cars. Those moving objects doesn´t look good in Quest2.

Yes I noticed that too. I think it's because of the lower refresh rate. I'm wondering if the reverb has the same kind of ghosting at 60 Hz which I will most probably use it at if it will be possible.

Yep I got the same email today.

So hopefully I will be expecting mine sometime in Nov as I ordered back in July.

I am planning to test my CV1 with the same amount of pixels as the G2 has.

Can someone verify my math?

When I use 1.48 Opencomposite supersampling, Oculus tray tool pixel density HUD shows resolution 1984 x 2352 per eye. By taking the first number twice I calculated this number of pixels:

3968 x 2352 = 9 332 736

The G2 has 2160x2160 per screen so the same calculation gives:

4320 x 2160 = 9 331 200

So am I doing this right and the closest to the G2 native resolution is 1.48 opencomposite SS for the CV1?

Thanks

2 hours ago, HunDread said:

So am I doing this right and the closest to the G2 native resolution is 1.48 opencomposite SS for the CV1?

Seems about right to me. Be aware that Reverb G2 will run through WMR and SteamVR (rather than OpenComposite) so you'll get slightly different CPU performance for it, but both are 90hz headsets so you'll be pretty close.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, 3uster3oo said:

On the App store to download now.

Screenshot (2).png

Nice that is a promising sign.

Didn’t download it.  It looked a bit dodgy to me (poor English etc)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

Didn’t download it.  It looked a bit dodgy to me (poor English etc)

I would never DL that before it is confirmed to be official. Guess they code a lot of stuff in India, but Indian English has not so far been in HP product descriptions.

Just placed preorder on G2, expected delivery by end of the November (bestware Germany).

I'm still on rift s, 2070super and i7 6700k 4.5ghz and seems i'll still be for a while until 3080 gets in stock at normal prices.....cpu, mobo and psu upgrade will go together with rtx3080.

I hope amd and ati will shake market and those filthy scalpers eventually get loss of investment!

Anyone knows will reverb g2 is going to be able to bypass steamVR like Rift does with OTT? 

Edited by =VARP=Ribbon

8 hours ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

Just placed preorder on G2, expected delivery by end of the November (bestware Germany).

I'm still on rift s, 2070super and i7 6700k 4.5ghz and seems i'll still be for a while until 3080 gets in stock at normal prices.....cpu, mobo and psu upgrade will go together with rtx3080.

I hope amd and ati will shake market and those filthy scalpers eventually get loss of investment!

Anyone knows will reverb g2 is going to be able to bypass steamVR like Rift does with OTT? 

No at least for what we do here, that would be up to the game developer to provide native WMR support.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dburne said:

No at least for what we do here, that would be up to the game developer to provide native WMR support.

We need to drag ApollyonVR to the HP Reverb brand to develop RTT 🧐

8 minutes ago, =VARP=Ribbon said:

We need to drag ApollyonVR to the HP Reverb brand to develop RTT 🧐

Lol yeah that would be awesome huh.

Spoiler

So with the G2 as far as IL-2 goes, one would have to chuck OpenComposite and then run it through Steam VR I take it?

1 hour ago, BornToBattle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

So with the G2 as far as IL-2 goes, one would have to chuck OpenComposite and then run it through Steam VR I take it?

Yes, opencomposite only works for Oculus.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BornToBattle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

As long as the game requires Steam VR or if the developer of Open Composite was to code it to run for other headsets.

Better would be if the game developers offered native WMR support, but don't see that happening either since they did not for Oculus.

• Upvote 2

On 10/7/2020 at 2:06 PM, HunDread said:

(...)

4320 x 2160 = 9 331 200

Thanks

Add 5-10% to counter distortion profiles, to then use the native resolution. So roughly 10M pixels and you'll be good to go with a good image.

I have heard some Reverb G2's are getting sent. Interesting to see if this rumor is true.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf

I just asked at Bestware livesupport in germany. The guy said current info is that they expect their delivery around  end November/beginning December.😕

Edited by Winger

30 minutes ago, Winger said:

I just asked at Bestware livesupport in germany. The guy said current info is that they expect their delivery around  end November/beginning December.😕

I preordered there too, two days ago and it was noted expected delivery by late November/early December.....

I can live with it, maybe by that time i manage to order rtx3080 😅

I haven't played iL2 for a while but have a CV1 and have my eye on the G2. Would my system be OK for it?

RTX 2080Super ROG

I7 7700

16gb RAM

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Badders46_VR said:

I haven't played iL2 for a while but have a CV1 and have my eye on the G2. Would my system be OK for it?

RTX 2080Super ROG

I7 7700

16gb RAM

Thanks!

If you are willing to go lower in the settings, I believe you can find one that is OK for your setup. 

My thinking with a lower spec PC (4790K, 2666 DDR3(!) and 1080 TI) is that I will go as low as I need -- balanced preset, no shadows med clouds, etc, and hoping that 60 Hz mode will work well first. Then eventually I will upgrade as needed. Definitely after the current CPU/GPU hype dies down in a couple of months.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Badders46_VR said:

RTX 2080Super ROG

I7 7700

16gb RAM

Thanks!

I guess with medium settings and being humble with the FPS.

40 minutes ago, HunDread said:

If you are willing to go lower in the settings, I believe you can find one that is OK for your setup. 

My thinking with a lower spec PC (4790K, 2666 DDR3(!) and 1080 TI) is that I will go as low as I need -- balanced preset, no shadows med clouds, etc, and hoping that 60 Hz mode will work well first. Then eventually I will upgrade as needed. Definitely after the current CPU/GPU hype dies down in a couple of months.

39 minutes ago, messsucher said:

I guess with medium settings and being humble with the FPS.

Thank you - I used to play with my Occulus daily but I got worried about my eyes and also started playing other games but want to get back into iL2... Have been playing DCS on a monitor and have enjoyed it... Might try iL2 with a monitor and see how I feel without VR... It was amazing! I still have the CV1 but the resolution isn't great, that is why the HP is tempting! 

1 hour ago, Badders46_VR said:

RTX 2080Super ROG

I7 7700

16gb RAM

Thanks!

You'll be okay... with some tweaks.

I have the Reverb G1 (similar demands to the G2) and it runs BEAUTIFULLY on my rig with RTX 2080 Super.

I run it at 60Hz refresh (with no issues) so I can have more headroom to increase settings.

I'm just not sure about the i7 7700, coz I have the 9700k (running stock), and I added more RAM to 32Gb (coz they're quite affordable). 

Most in game settings are medium to high and I super-sampled to 2560x2502 per eye, so it looks nice and clear (comparable to sitting 6" in front a monitor)

I can spot contacts easily, I can ID when close enough and I am really enjoying the VR experience in this game with the Reverb G1.

Now, I just need to fly better so I don't get whacked every single time.

13 minutes ago, TWC_NINja said:

I have the Reverb G1 (similar demands to the G2) and it runs BEAUTIFULLY on my rig with RTX 2080 Super.

I run it at 60Hz refresh (with no issues) so I can have more headroom to increase settings.

I'm just not sure about the i7 7700, coz I have the 9700k (running stock), and I added more RAM to 32Gb (coz they're quite affordable). 

Most in game settings are medium to high and I super-sampled to 2560x2502 per eye, so it looks nice and clear (comparable to sitting 6" in front a monitor)

I can spot contacts easily, I can ID when close enough and I am really enjoying the VR experience in this game with the Reverb G1.

That sounds promising... I was thinking about more RAM as DCS seems to be heavy in RAM and as you say it is affordable... Might need to look at upgrading my CPU at some point anyway so I'll keep an eye out on availability and see if I can afford it 😁 Cheers!

32 minutes ago, TWC_NINja said:

This is what I'm banking on as I think even with my 3080, I will struggle for a consistent 90 FPS with higher settings and the G2. 

Do you find that you have flickering with your G1 set at 60hz?

59 minutes ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

This is what I'm banking on as I think even with my 3080, I will struggle for a consistent 90 FPS with higher settings and the G2. 

Do you find that you have flickering with your G1 set at 60hz?

I had no flickering whatsoever. It looks just as smooth as 90Hz to me... but I'm 56 and have had both my lenses replaced due to cataracts, so maybe my eyes aren't as sensitive anymore.

With the 3080, I would not worry about being able to push everything at 90Hz. Especially with the G2, which reportedly has even better lenses, you might be able to run at native res without supersampling at all. (SS is the most GPU juice-sucker) But if you can run at 60Hz, then you should be able to go nuts on the in-game graphics settings - the main hurdle is MSAA. I can run at 2x with my rig... any higher drops my framerates below 60 and causes stuttering/slideshow for me (I don't use reprojection).

• Thanks 1

Anyone running a G-1 have their resolution set to 1080p in the Mixed reality home settings?  I can set it 1080p in my O+ but it's a slightly fisheyed and the edges get cut off giving a rectangular border, losing a bit of the FOV.  Everything is shrunk a bit, scaling is off, with the close up stuff slightly out of focus, but it is impressive especially beyond the pit, and the frames are pretty near the same as 720p.  Lighting effects are more intense, gives a superior 3D effect to close up contacts.

If you do try it and want to go back 720, it won't switch back simply by selecting 720p, you'll have to reset home under the environment page once you select 720.  Hope the game eventually adapts to 1080p res.

When I use the 60Hz mode with my G1 Reverb I get a lot of flickering, which does not work for me. Maybe that is personal, some may see it some not?!

• Thanks 1

i have not tested IL2, but in other titles the 60HZ does not flicker on a G1, but the low frame rate is very displeasing.  there is some ghosting (unreal engine) and tis just "not for me" I have always been in the camp of "low settings, locked at 90 fps" (although in IL2 MP there is no "locked at 90 fps with a 2080) 

• Thanks 1

Spain HP store directly communicated to a spanish youtuber we will have them in the first week of November.

53 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Spain HP store directly communicated to a spanish youtuber we will have them in the first week of November.

What would be quite serendipitous is if I get it at the same time I'm able to get a 3080.

18 minutes ago, unlikely_spider said:

What would be quite serendipitous is if I get it at the same time I'm able to get a 3080.

Yeah I am on a reserve list with EVGA for a 3090 FTW3 Ultra, hoping I can get it around the same time as I get my Reverb G2 Pre-Order.

Or if they were to come out with a higher Vram 3080 card within that time span I would consider it also.

HP Reverb Second Generation is the G1 pro..  G2 is basically gen 3  :)

Edited by GOZR

Just received this email today from system active uk  , shipping second week of November 🤞.

Just a quick note to say little has changed since the HP Press release of September 24. The press release said early November and we hoped to deliver first pre-order customers first week of November. This is now going to be the second week of November. This is the same throughout the world. We are fully geared up to get them out the moment we receive them. Once we know they are on their way to us we can firm exact dates up and let you know. Second release is still on course for early December.

Thank you for your patience.

• Thanks 1

So I'm getting back into this sim from a break. I am planning on preordering this headset today probably after some more research. And then I will try and run it with a 3080, whenever I can get my hands on one and one of the new AMD cpu's. I can wait for this product and for the 3080 (I'll go AMD if the wait gets ridiculous like until March or something) and I have the funds for good parts. Is this a good plan? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Basically I want a great VR headset and a great computer to run it.

Edited by TheKillerSloth

3 hours ago, TheKillerSloth said:

So I'm getting back into this sim from a break. I am planning on preordering this headset today probably after some more research. And then I will try and run it with a 3080, whenever I can get my hands on one and one of the new AMD cpu's. I can wait for this product and for the 3080 (I'll go AMD if the wait gets ridiculous like until March or something) and I have the funds for good parts. Is this a good plan? Any thoughts greatly appreciated. Basically I want a great VR headset and a great computer to run it.

Horrible plan. I am also trying to get my hands on many of those same components.

I will let you know when I have successfully purchased my own. Then you can proceed at that time.

Edited by unlikely_spider
  • Haha 4