Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
sevenless

Spitfire IX B for Normandy?

Recommended Posts

Any chance we see the Spitfire IXB in Normandy? Either by adaptation of externals and engine of the existing Mk.V or Mk.IXe models or as an additional collector plane? I mean it was definitively the most prominent mark of the Spitfire on the continent between 6/44 and 12/44 wasn´t it?

 

611sqdn-spit9.jpg

 

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit9v109g.html

 

To get an idea how the Spitfire Mk.V performs in the 44/45 singleplayer environment you are invited to check it out here. I´ve integrated the Spitfire Mk.V with No.443 Sqd RCAF. The old workhorse can still hold its ground agains 109s and 190s.

 

 

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sevenless said:

Any chance we see the Spitfire IXB in Normandy? Either by adaptation of externals and engine of the existing Mk.V or Mk.IXe models or as an additional collector plane? I mean it was definitively the most prominent mark of the Spitfire on the continent between 6/44 and 12/44 wasn´t it?

 

611sqdn-spit9.jpg

 

http://www.spitfireperformance.com/spit9v109g.html

 

There's actually no such thing as a Spitfire IX-B though you may see it in some pilots logs because they didn't know what to call Spitfire IX's equipped with a Merlin 66 engine.

 

The most common Spitfire IX would still be the LF.IX and the mix would be between C and E wing (which are really the same wing but with different armament). The only other distinguishing feature would be the short and tall tail versions which aren't officially distinguished anywhere. There were plenty around for Normandy so what we have is good enough. An IXc with the C-wing armament would be a nice bonus addition with either tail. I wouldn't mind seeing the Spitfire Vb also get a clipped wing option. Again... a nice little bonus!

 

There were earlier versions of the Spitfire IX, the F.IX as it was later designated, that had a Merlin 61 or Merlin 63 engine which were a bit slower because of differently geared superchargers and a few of those were actually Spitfire V airframes. No Spitfire IX had the IXb designation as none of them used the B-type wing. I don't think any F.IX's were around for Normandy but I'd have to check my books on that.

Edited by ShamrockOneFive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

An IXc with the C-wing armament would be a nice bonus addition with either tail. I wouldn't mind seeing the Spitfire Vb also get a clipped wing option. Again... a nice little bonus!

 

Yep that is exactly what I mean with IXB with c-wing. Quote from site above:

 

"The LF IX, equipped with the Merlin 66 and frequently referred to as the Spitfire IXB, first went operational in March 1943 with the Biggin Hill Wing, comprised at the time of Nos. 611 and 341 Squadrons. This type was by far the most produced of the Spitfire IX varients."

 

Edited by sevenless
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sevenless said:

 

Yep that is exactly what I mean with IXB. Quote from site above:

 

"The LF IX, equipped with the Merlin 66 and frequently referred to as the Spitfire IXB, first went operational in March 1943 with the Biggin Hill Wing, comprised at the time of Nos. 611 and 341 Squadrons. This type was by far the most produced of the Spitfire IX varients."

 

 

Right! Basically 1CGS could give us a C-wing modification and call it a day for Normandy. Back in March 1943 they'd all be the shorter tail but otherwise fair similar to what we have with the IXe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are actually at least a half dozen changes - so it would be quite a bit of work to produce a Spit IX (early).

 

However, I think it would make a great mini-DLC along with:

- Boston III (A British A-20B with four machine guns and some British bombs)

- Mustang I (A P-51 with the Allison engine of a P-40 and an armament of either 4x20mm or 4x0.303 plus 4x0.50).

 

The Fw-190A4 (particularly the U8 long range bomber version) would also make a decent opponent in 1942 France.

The Do-217E was also commonly used in 1942 (with 80 of them sent against the pre-Normandy landings in Dieppe).

...with potential for including the Hurricane IIB collector plane and a Bf-109F... you'd have a new module on the same map that I think would be quite attractive to a lot of people.

 

It would use an existing map, and have one new bomber (Do-217) and four variants of existing aircraft and two already released aircraft... if one wanted to get up to the 10 aircraft standard for a major release one could throw in a couple of new Eastern Front aircraft (also from the 1942 era) and one of the online Eastern front maps.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

However, I think it would make a great mini-DLC along with:

- Boston III (A British A-20B with four machine guns and some British bombs)

- Mustang I (A P-51 with the Allison engine of a P-40 and an armament of either 4x20mm or 4x0.303 plus 4x0.50).


I like this version of a small brit DLC or as single DLC, I would buy them all

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we want to use the Normandy map for pre-invasion scenarios, a C-wing Spitfire IX is certainly a must.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

There are actually at least a half dozen changes - so it would be quite a bit of work to produce a Spit IX (early).

 

However, I think it would make a great mini-DLC along with:

- Boston III (A British A-20B with four machine guns and some British bombs)

- Mustang I (A P-51 with the Allison engine of a P-40 and an armament of either 4x20mm or 4x0.303 plus 4x0.50).

 

The Fw-190A4 (particularly the U8 long range bomber version) would also make a decent opponent in 1942 France.

The Do-217E was also commonly used in 1942 (with 80 of them sent against the pre-Normandy landings in Dieppe).

...with potential for including the Hurricane IIB collector plane and a Bf-109F... you'd have a new module on the same map that I think would be quite attractive to a lot of people.

 

It would use an existing map, and have one new bomber (Do-217) and four variants of existing aircraft and two already released aircraft... if one wanted to get up to the 10 aircraft standard for a major release one could throw in a couple of new Eastern Front aircraft (also from the 1942 era) and one of the online Eastern front maps.


I think an early car door variant Typhoon would be a must along with some additional Spit V varieties (early lower boost, as well as a later Lf.Vb).  That whole package would really bring the 41-43 channel front to life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...