Blitzen

New graphics card question

I’ve been happy with my 1080 card for more than two years but now with latest update my FPS has dropped to. Nearly unacceptable level while playing in high and ultra settings.So maybe now is the time to upgrade, but the choices and prices are daunting. I am currently playing with PimaxVR 5K and want to see if its possible to get a card that will be usable when I step up to buy another VR HDS at some future date when SDE is eliminated. So what I’m trying to find is a card that is affordable & will be usable for quite a while in the future.

Ideas?

You get SDE on a pimax 5k?  I can't see any when flying with a Rift S and Im 20-20

Perhaps you want to wait for the 3000 series Nvidia GFX cards, they're hypeing them up to be a big leap in performance but, you know, they always do hahaha.

Yes with Pimax5K I do get mild SDE but pretty easy to ignore.I've had Pimax5K for about a year & a half and am determined to hold on to it until the next generation of HDS eliminates SDE .Oculus Rift was the best value for the price back then but was ineffective with SDE. I think I even tried out the newest version but couldn't get near the definition of the then 5k.Pimax...8K is on the way, but quite frankly it is to high a price to consider.I'm sort of waiting for the next generation of Oculus hardware.and does so at a reasonable price .I'm betting on 3000 release their price will make the 2080's sound a lot more reasonable?

8ball.gif

Edited by Blitzen

40 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Yes with Pimax5K I do get mild SDE but pretty easy to ignore.I've had Pimax5K for about a year & a half and am determined to hold on to it until the next generation of HDS eliminates SDE .Oculus Rift was the best value for the price back then but was ineffective with SDE. I think I even tried out the newest version but couldn't get near the definition of the then 5k.Pimax...8K is on the way, but quite frankly it is to high a price to consider.I'm sort of waiting for the next generation of Oculus hardware.and does so at a reasonable price .I'm betting on 3000 release their price will make the 2080's sound a lot more reasonable?

8ball.gif

Maybe I can't see the SDE on my Rift S as i just got it and had been using the original one since 2017, it is night and day in comparison.

and you'reprobably right in that 2000 series cards should become much more reasonably priced after the launch of 3000. But I would wait regardless as the jump in performance (iv'e read) will make VR as 'easy' as regular gaming; plus I also hear that the COVID crisis has made prices skyrocket for PC parts in the US/EU.

Edited by SAG

I am just waiting out what the new upcoming 30 series will do. 
Then watch carefully if there is going to be a new generation goggles. 
I am convinced we are at stoneage when it come to VR. There will be lighter and better goggles. With uheard fow. But not for gou we currently have. I found the gap from 1080 ti to 2090 super to be insufficient and neglectable. 
my son got a rig with 2080 

I like VR but I do not think you get what you want with what offered today

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Just now, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I am just waiting out what the new upcoming 30 series will do. 
Then watch carefully if there is going to be a new generation goggles. 
I am convinced we are at stoneage when it come to VR. There will be lighter and better goggles. With uheard fow. But not for gou we currently have. I found the gap from 1080 ti to 2090 super to be insufficient and neglectable. 

I also think we're still seeing baby steps in VR, but i'm happy with what we've got right now. hopefully my current headset will last me another 3 years and VR has moved a lot further by then. 😀

1 minute ago, SAG said:

I also think we're still seeing baby steps in VR, but i'm happy with what we've got right now. hopefully my current headset will last me another 3 years and VR has moved a lot further by then. 😀

Yes I am waiting for totally new tech. I wont invest the high end goggles when rift s is sufficient

6 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Yes I am waiting for totally new tech. I wont invest the high end goggles when rift s is sufficient

:good:

I will however be all over a new 3080 Ti whenever they do become available.

Edited by dburne

I must ask for a little crystal balling: is news on when the new generation of Graphics cards might be released and who might do it first?

source.gif

Typically Nvidia does it first with the Founders Edition.

Then the third party folks join the fray a little bit afterwards.

I have not seen any hard news on consumer release, talk seems to point at being somewhere between the fall and end of the year.

My guess would be in the fall, but who knows. Could be sooner. 

Try turning of all anti ailiasing and cutting down on buildings.  You should be getting more FPS with the new update, something isn't right if you were happy before.

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Typically Nvidia does it first with the Founders Edition.

Then the third party folks join the fray a little bit afterwards.

I have not seen any hard news on consumer release, talk seems to point at being somewhere between the fall and end of the year.

My guess would be in the fall, but who knows. Could be sooner. 

September most likely, but the 3070 and 3080 may come in first. If AMD's response is weak, we won't see the 3080Ti until December. 

AMD is also planing to release their next gen GPUs and CPUs in September. RDNA2 should bring 50% performance boost over current versions. AMD may beat the 2080Ti at much lower price. 

September should be a good month for computer hardware. I'd wait. 

Edited by Jaws2002