E69_geramos109

BEST AA for Spoting?

Posted (edited)

Hi guys. Now with the new update we have two diferent ways of Anti Aliasing FXAA and MSAA x2 and x4 on both. 

Did you test both to see wich one is better for spoting contacts? On sky are very visible so the difficult part is with the ground behind. I saw that on the sea they are more difficult as well. 

This is an interesting quote on the DD. Did you notice a big diference with this config?

In the graphics department, we're adding an alternative antialiasing method, FXAA, which trades some AA quality for a noticeable performance boost. It also has a side effect of somewhat improving the visibility of the contacts against the ground, especially when used in conjunction with the "Sharpen" graphics option.

Thanks

Edited by E69_geramos109

None in VR, in game zoom not enough for MP, cant see nothing, VR experience has been ruined, thank you.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 7

Hey geronimo how about you try and then tell us?

• Upvote 1

Seriously??!!

From the guy that stirred up this steaming pile of wasted internet time,

Can we all just ignore this walking, talking tool flaccid unit?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 8

3 hours ago, E69_geramos109 said:

Hi guys. Now with the new update we have two diferent ways of Anti Aliasing FXAA and MSAA x2 and x4 on both. 

Did you test both to see wich one is better for spoting contacts? On sky are very visible so the difficult part is with the ground behind. I saw that on the sea they are more difficult as well. 

This is an interesting quote on the DD. Did you notice a big diference with this config?

In the graphics department, we're adding an alternative antialiasing method, FXAA, which trades some AA quality for a noticeable performance boost. It also has a side effect of somewhat improving the visibility of the contacts against the ground, especially when used in conjunction with the "Sharpen" graphics option.

Thanks

can't reveal the best setting to you, bro. Otherwise you might start crying that it's a cheat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 8

"can't reveal the best setting to you, bro. Otherwise you might start crying that it's a cheat."

Best answer ever...lol that guy deserves that...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I am one of those affected by the recent patch breaking 3dMigoto mod.

The mod was not banned.

I think the current replies on this thread are very uncalled for. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

What he did was pointing out possible exploits with an existing tool, and rightly so, can't argue with that. What you guys are doing is acting childish, offended over spilled milk.

The focus should be on finding a better solution, not stigmatizing.

But maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, maybe I'm forgetting where we all are 😔

As far as I'm concerned, if I notice a difference, I will report back @E69_geramos109 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, SAG said:

I am one of those affected by the recent patch breaking 3dMigoto mod.

The mod was not banned.

I think the current replies on this thread are very uncalled for. 

You are entitled to your opinion.  Perhaps if you had sat back and watched while this particular member trolled the userbase, inferred a whole group of player was cheating, and even when explained how he was able to "cheat" so severely by mating in game zoom with modded zoom (on a monitor! - zoom does not work that way in VR! - we don't even have the same in game zoom!!!), and decided to start flinging acusatory and homophobic slurs while running a youtube channel dedicated to mocking VR players as a whole?

That guy?

Defend if you like.

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I think I should change the name of the topic for: Geramos Hater club meeting point 😂

Edited by E69_geramos109
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Just now, E69_geramos109 said:

I think I should change the name of the topic for: Geramos Hater club meeting point 😂

What a thighslapper.  You should take your show on the road.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

You are entitled to your opinion.  Perhaps if you had sat back and watched while this particular member trolled the userbase, inferred a whole group of player was cheating, and even when explained how he was able to "cheat" so severely by mating in game zoom with modded zoom (on a monitor! - zoom does not work that way in VR! - we don't even have the same in game zoom!!!), and decided to start flinging acusatory and homophobic slurs while running a youtube channel dedicated to mocking VR players as a whole?

That guy?

Defend if you like.

You are right Beazil. I didn't see that whole thing go down. But please don't misunderstand me, i'm not defending him at all, in fact, I find that behaviour quite annoying and out of place here in the forums, but I think that we shouldn't act like him.

where I live, we say "darle bomba" which basically means to give someone a reason to keep on trolling.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, flynvrtd said:

Can we all just ignore this walking, talking tool flaccid unit?

What kind of community attitude is that? 
Guy was concerned and acted on it for good and for bad it shows dedication. 

20 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

That guy?

Defend if you like.

I defend anyone excluded by community for a long run. It is not ok. 
we do not know each other. Banning and exclusion is moderators task and not what so ever to be executed by members. 
You are entiteled to disagree as much as you want, but openly exclude or promote exclusion of a member is in my opinion questionable. Go at the topic not the person. If he ask for help he is just as much entitled to it as you

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

Indeed Luse.  And if the thread had continued in that vein it would never have been closed. But something else happened.  Instead of engaging in dialogue after hours of testing and video his response was to refer to the lot of us as well, see above.  Now some of my comments were deleted for swearing, and that's fine.

I stand by absolutely every single thing I said in that thread.  

Now I don't know about you, but I like to think I have some brain cells in my head.  And my brain tells me that a guy like that who comes to start a thread on the very issue he campaigned against *might* be interpreted as gloating.

Now I'm sure a quality human being who trolls threads and goes out if his way to openly mock other users is a quality addition to any online community.  I am absolutely sure he is definately here to engage in a healthy, constructive dialogue.  Just like he always has.  Observe.

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

can't reveal the best setting to you, bro. Otherwise you might start crying that it's a cheat.

That info will be useful for a lot of players not just for me. That is why I ask on a public forum where everyone can share info and find answers.

Edited by E69_geramos109
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Don't you have a headset to test with?  The one you told us you could see planes at 50k with?   I'm waiting for Gerry to post his thoughts on the topic.  Maybe another of his expeten squaddies can show us?

Nice to see the usual pot stirrers at work.  *Waves to villawaffe*

I'm out.

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Don't you have a headset to test with?  The one you told us you could see planes at 50k with?   I'm waiting for Gerry to post his thoughts on the topic.  Maybe another of his expeten squaddies can show us?

Nice to see the usual pot stirrers at work.  *Waves to villawaffe*

I'm out.

This topic is about AA on screen not on VR so testing on VR is usless for the purpose on this topic. You can go other topics if you want to find better settings for your VR

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

So do you have something to offer here?  I'm waiting for you to post something that isn't "hey how's everybody doing? Just thought I'd pop in to wave my junk around - which flavour do yoyu like your caulk with?  MXAA or FXAA?".  

I call em as I see em.

You are NOT here to engage in a discussion on AA.  You could easliy test yourself and post your thoughts.  You have not done that.

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Sad 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

So do you have something to offer here?  I'm waiting for you to post something that isn't "hey how's everybody doing? Just thought I'd pop in to wave my junk around - which flavour do yoyu like your caulk with?  MXAA or FXAA?".  

I call em as I see em.

You are NOT here to engage in a discussion on AA.  You could easliy test yourself and post your thoughts.  You have not done that.

Sure Xd the topic have some hidden intentions XD. I think you are a little bit paranoid. 

I have no time to test myself properly I will but not now. If you have nothing to share related to the topic then leave as you said

Edited by E69_geramos109
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, E69_geramos109 said:

Sure Xd the topic have some hidden intentions XD. I think you are a little bit paranoid. 

I have no time to test myslef properly I will but not now. If you have nothing to share related to the topic then leave as you said

No am not paranoid.

The best indicator of future performance is past performance.

You have an opportunity to redeem yourself here.  

Don't blow it.

Edit:  To be fair to you Gerry, I am not an arsehole.  But when treated like one, well, I'm sure you get it, based on our past interactions.

Cheers.

15 minutes ago, E69_geramos109 said:

I have no time to test myself properly I will but not now. If you have nothing to share related to the topic then leave as you said

Oh and if you aren't trolling, why do you allude to doing so in this comment?  It's nice being behind a screen on the other side of the world, isn't it?  Perhaps a report is in order?

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 1

Peace people peace. 
be cool

we do not know eachother. People we like in gere might very well be complete a**holes. And those we have open conflict with might very well be potential good friends. I use VR. I havent bothered to use any mod what so ever. 
But I struggle hard to comprehend the new graphic settings. All I know is my game looks prettier run smoother and I spot better. Now like the OP I like to optimize spotting further. I try to read all about it

@JG51_Beazil I have no intension arguing with you. I agree in just about every post seen you post also here , except exclusion 

Absolutely, positively, no two ways about it, I agree with you Luse.

I'd be happy to wing up anytime with Mr. Geramos - I'm sure we could learn alot from each other and maybe even have fun doing it.

I am NOT against this man's participation in discussion at all.  I question his motivations for doing so.

• Upvote 1

Just now, JG51_Beazil said:

Absolutely, positively, no two ways about it, I agree with you Luse.

I'd be happy to wing up anytime with Mr. Geramos - I'm sure we could learn alot from each other and maybe even have fun doing it.

I am NOT against this man's participation in discussion at all.  I question his motivations for doing so.

My motivation for this topic is to ask people who probably is testing some parameters to hear what they think is better for spotting. That is all. I can not understand why you insist that I have intention for trolling now. 

Gee, where could I have got that from?  I must have made it up.

So?  Which is better?  What is your opion?  I honestly have been enjoying the game there is, and have not noticed a difference yet, but that's because I haven't got to try all the different settings - but I'll let you know.  Certainly at 1.5x zoom it's difficult to tell honestly. S!

I just tried MSAA x4. It looked good. Dark terrain  and water was the more difficult part for me to spot.

• Thanks 1

You may be worth the explanation, even so I summarize it, always MSAA. The rest is surely more about color, I suppose with the Reshade you can adjust to see it great

6 minutes ago, Ala13_UnopaUno_VR said:

You may be worth the explanation, even so I summarize it, always MSAA. The rest is surely more about color, I suppose with the Reshade you can adjust to see it great

Lol!  That is a seriously looong explaination.  I think I'll take your word for it and save the vid for another day.

To anser my friend Geramos, thanks for your comment "just tried MSAA x4. It looked good. Dark terrain  and water was the more difficult part for me to spot."

I just went with 2mxaa all options on lowest possible with no filter on landscape.  Certainly easier to spot things, just not sure it would be the most "fun".  

There are a lot of new graphic features to mess with, and I'm still working on it.  I'll get back to you.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

In my opinion: with 4x fxaa you can see further, BUT the contacts flicker (so they disappear completely for half a second)

with 4x MSAA their outline is smaller, but you can see them consistently, no flickering. choose what you perfer. Msaa has a bit more impact on frames but if you can sacrifice them, go for it. I prefer consitent spotting over flickering at a bit further distance.

Edited by H_Stiglitz
  • Like 2

For me I think flickering works best. Meaning that flickering draws your attention like a car's signal light, where as constant doesn't do as much. The issue seems to be that you have other things which flicker (houses, sometimes trees).

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Raven109 said:

For me I think flickering works best. Meaning that flickering draws your attention like a car's signal light, where as constant doesn't do as much. The issue seems to be that you have other things which flicker (houses, sometimes trees).

Good points!  I'm not sure how best to accomplish this.  I know others have posted in various other threads on this, so I can and will go and look, but I encourage anyone who already knows to speak up please.  Cheers.  Edit: gonna try 4x and some Nvidia tweaks myself.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

Personally I prefer MSAA 4x. There might be situations where blinking contacts might seem better but a clearer image lets me find contacts a lot more easily, especially against a textured background (not the sky), and that is where the dangerous bogeys are. With MSAA I'm usually able to spot targets when they just show their shallowest profile (like when trailing me).

Simply put: MSAA has clearer picture, is less straining on the eye, moving contacts don't hide in flickering textures.

consider this thread, @Geronimo553 has worked long time on finding the sweetspot and i think you guys will find useful info there

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

consider this thread, @Geronimo553 has worked long time on finding the sweetspot and i think you guys will find useful info there

Yes, I noticed his site was down for maintenance right now from the 1st post - I will read through it thank you.

I'm out of reacions but please accept my thanks.  :)

1 hour ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Yes, I noticed his site was down for maintenance right now from the 1st post - I will read through it thank you.

I'm out of reactions but please accept my thanks.  :)

The maintenance picture is part of the thread itself =p   

8 hours ago, Nibbio said:

Hey geronimo how about you try and then tell us?

Truly the best overall spotting the game provides is with 4x fxaa and 2x msaa on together. This cannot be done in the game menu and only in the start config. The downside is the game is not optimized for them to be both on as I have discovered. So running both methods together is a big hit on frames. I have settled on 4x fxaa (as shown in the graphics menu) as it gives you the biggest target/plane picture possible. Plus there is a slightly better fps performance using fxaa. Which when flying online you will need every fps possible because when there is ten or more planes in one location the fps will still drop down quite considerably. Online expect frames to easily dip down to 30 fps regardless of computer or settings. Lastly to improve overall spotting I use the lowest multisampling setting provided in the nvidia control panel. It cleans up the edges very nicely without any noticeable loss of frames. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

The maintenance picture is part of the thread itself =p   

Truly the best overall spotting the game provides is with 4x fxaa and 2x msaa on together. This cannot be done in the game menu and only in the start config. The downside is the game is not optimized for them to be both on as I have discovered. So running both methods together is a big hit on frames. I have settled on 4x fxaa (as shown in the graphics menu) as it gives you the biggest target/plane picture possible. Plus there is a slightly better fps performance using fxaa. Which when flying online you will need every fps possible because when there is ten or more planes in one location the fps will still drop down quite considerably. Online expect frames to easily dip down to 30 fps regardless of computer or settings. Lastly to improve overall spotting I use the lowest multisampling setting provided in the nvidia control panel. It cleans up the edges very nicely without any noticeable loss of frames. 

Thanks for that - saved me lots of trouble.  S!

Personally, not seeing a big difference between the two in terms of spotting myself, but probably user error on my part - btween msaa and fxaa - but you've given me a good place to start.

The best anti aliasing setting for spotting the dots of far away contacts is none. The more you add the more the contrast of those small objects will get averaged with the nearby sky extinguishing the contacts contrast. 

the best anti aliasing setting for ID'ing targets is as much as you need to reduce shimmering of those close to medium targets. This will be different depending on your resolution. In 4K you will likely not need any.

FXAA is claimed to help spot targets at medium range over trees. However it's terrible for making the small dot contacts at long range dissapear.

MSAA extinguishes less for the long range contacts but has trouble over the trees.

All options have their advantages and disadvantages. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

If you liked the "old" spotting system then use MSAA because that was the only option for all these years. If you want the new way then use fxaa.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Well, this is what makes me smile and lol literally about this topic Driftaholic.  You are right about aa  settings and spotting for sure.  I've been reading alot of topics today and I'm starting to mix them up, but I swear I heard someone say in this or another thread something about reshade working in VR!?  (Never did before, so I'm off to explore) but I think I've liked the image qualities I've achieved so far with Geronimo553's suggestions, at least as far as I've got.  Thanks!  Maybe I can get some better colour in my headset this way! Edit:,. It works!  :)

Edited by JG51_Beazil
  • Haha 1