Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
69th_Bazzer

Make all zoom a server option

Recommended Posts

That way, if MP servers don't want 2d users to have a huge advantage over VR users, they can turn off all zoom and put everyone on an equal footing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree, let's split the community based on hardware. So, one server for 23" monitors, one server for 42" users, one server for Warthog Joysticks, one server for keyboard players, one for VR, one for rudder pedal users, one server for TrackIR, one for DYI tracking, and so on.

 

I'm using a keyboard, although I have a joystick, I feel discriminated.

Edited by Raven109
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

That way, if MP servers don't want 2d users to have a huge advantage over VR users, they can turn off all zoom and put everyone on an equal footing.

I half arsed suggested this as an option.  It did not appear to be popular.  For a variety of (probably good) reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did this with mice vs joystick. Though I wouldn't be opposed to VR only lobbies if there was a large enough player base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SharpeXB said:

No. 

Why not? You always brag about how easy it is to spot and id contacts.

Edited by driftaholic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, driftaholic said:

Why not? You always brag about how easy it is to spot and id contacts.

You want them to wreck the game for 90% of the players to placate the 10% using embryonic VR headsets... no. Just no. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

You want them to wreck the game for 90% of the players to placate the 10% using embryonic VR headsets... no. Just no. 

Yeah I agree it would be less enjoyable for players in 2D. It would also further highlight how hard spotting is in this game compared to reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

You want them to wreck the game for 90% of the players to placate the 10% using embryonic VR headsets... no. Just no. 

First, I fully appreciate the notion that not having effective zoom ruins the game.

 

However, I merely suggested a server option, not a game-wide change. Hyperbole about ruining the game for 90% of players is baseless.

 

I imagine with such an option there would still be plenty of servers which allow zoom, and perhaps a few that would prefer to offer a more equal playing field. Hardly takes anything away from you if they do.

 

I find icons-on game ruining. So, I don't fly on servers with icons on. Easy. Doesn't take anything away from me.

Edited by 69th_Bazzer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here you can see an interesting video about how the game represents on the screen what the eye can see taking in mind the field of view and the zoom.

You will see how on the screen you are zoom out to see more field of view so the in game zoom is made to compensate that. On VR is other perception because you have more real feeling of the field of view.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, E69_geramos109 said:

Here you can see an interesting video about how the game represents on the screen what the eye can see taking in mind the field of view and the zoom.

You will see how on the screen you are zoom out to see more field of view so the in game zoom is made to compensate that. On VR is other perception because you have more real feeling of the field of view.

 

 

 

So?  Are you arguing we should be able to spot planes at the distance indicated in that DCS video?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JG51_Beazil said:

So?  Are you arguing we should be able to spot planes at the distance indicated in that DCS video?

Did you read my post? The part on the video you should see is where the guys explains the Fov field of view on screen etc. The topic itself is about zoom not about spoting. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No, I read your post -AND I watched your video - the one that talks all about spotting.  In DCS.  Just thought I'd remind you of your previous videos and campaign against people being able to see too far in game - quite similar in fact to the spotting you were raging against in fact.  Nice to see you stirring things up here as usual.  Carry on.

Edited by JG51_Beazil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

First, I fully appreciate the notion that not having effective zoom ruins the game.

 

However, I merely suggested a server option, not a game-wide change. Hyperbole about ruining the game for 90% of players is baseless.

 

I imagine with such an option there would still be plenty of servers which allow zoom, and perhaps a few that would prefer to offer a more equal playing field. Hardly takes anything away from you if they do.

 

I find icons-on game ruining. So, I don't fly on servers with icons on. Easy. Doesn't take anything away from me.

 

Zoom is the "realistic" option, meaning that using full zoom on a xx inch monitor (whatever the developers chose to be the base) is what you would see in real life. Most of the people who are zoomed out are not using the "realistic" setting. Configurable zoom is a compromise between having wide field of view and being able to ID at longer distances. No zoom means that you're not flying closer to reality.

 

You're asking for people to not use the realistic setting. Sure, if you're not interested in having something closer to the real thing, then yes, a zoom-less server is the option. I think everyone takes whatever they want out of this sim, some play it for historical reasons, some for how the graphics look, some for competition (where equalizing becomes the most important factor), some for creative reasons (skins, missions, campaigns), some just for dog-fighting, etc.

Edited by Raven109

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 69th_Bazzer said:

However, I merely suggested a server option, not a game-wide change.

Nobody would play on those servers because the game would basically be unplayable. 
It would make more sense to have VR-only servers if people are so concerned about fairness. 

13 minutes ago, Raven109 said:

 

Zoom is the "realistic" option, meaning that using full zoom on a xx inch monitor (whatever the developers chose to be the base) is what you would see in real life. Most of the people who are zoomed out are not using the "realistic" setting. Configurable zoom is a compromise between having wide field of view and being able to ID at longer distances. No zoom means that you're not flying closer to reality.

This. The sim should be about realism and not hardware parity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E69_geramos109 said:

Here you can see an interesting video about how the game represents on the screen what the eye can see taking in mind the field of view and the zoom.

You will see how on the screen you are zoom out to see more field of view so the in game zoom is made to compensate that.

Good explanation of the zoom view and FOV. I don’t know why this is so misunderstood in flight sims. Basically you see that zoomed-in is actually more lifelike than zoomed-out. 
 

Individual accounts like this could vary a lot and there were exceptionally gifted pilots who could indeed see bandits from very long ranges. They weren’t the norm I’m sure. 

Edited by SharpeXB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

You want them to wreck the game for 90% of the players to placate the 10% using embryonic VR headsets... no. Just no. 

So not having sufficient zoom wrecks the game? You'll see why then that people thought that enhancing VR zoom to be equivalent to a monitor was necessary for them to play, in VR.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

So not having sufficient zoom wrecks the game? You'll see why then that people thought that enhancing VR zoom to be equivalent to a monitor was necessary for them to play, in VR.

I agree with you on that. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...