Hi, I am thinking of buying a new tv to use as a monitor to go with a bigger screen. My computer specs are Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 1TB Hard Drive + 240GB Solid State Drive , and I have trackir. I am currently using an ASUS - MG28UQ 28" LED 4K UHD Monitor. I was wondering if anyone that is using a tv had any recommendations as far as specs and  size and what they are using. Thanks, Jeff.

Most TV's have lower refresh rates and quite a bit of input lag which may or may not be acceptable to you.  Otherwise it should work just fine.  It's hard to beat a nice ultrawide 100htz + gaming monitor for me personally.

Stick with the monitor. It's probably a higher resolution and spec than your TV.

Or do what I do. Watch TV through your gaming PC and monitor and let your TV gather dust. I don't think I've turned on my TV since the lockdown. I watch everything through PC/Laptop/tablet/phone now. TVs are obsolete tech.

2 hours ago, Reggie_Mental said:

...TVs are obsolete tech.

HAHAHA!!!  No, they're not.  If I were still single and had a gigantic monitor, I might watch stuff on there, but with a family, that ain't gonna work.

That being said, a nice, large monitor will be better for this sim, and gaming in general.

New LG OLED's have 120hz 4K with G-sync. It's what I would use for gaming. Just be careful of static images on oled.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Most TVs will limit FPS, but to 60, which IMHO is a very good level of smoothness.  Many also have a game mode, which reduces the input lag

referred to earlier by cutting out most of the image processing the TV is doing, leaving it to your GPU as they should.   

I use a very large 4K TV and the image is spectacular. It allows me to sit further away from the screen which is better for my eyes, but it does mean that you have to find the right height to place it - I put it on a low bench so that my eyeline is about 60% of the way from the bottom edge.  I find this far more comfortable than looking up at a large screen on a conventional desk.

The TV also works just fine for non-gaming uses, whether streaming movies or spreadsheets. Of course no point having more pixels that your PC can handle comfortably.

The main disadvantage with TVs is that they seem to be more prone to developing incurable irregularities in the image - patches or vertical stripes - which most of the time are not noticeable but which are when you have a large extent of a single colour - like the sky in a flight sim.  So if you find a TV that might work for you do some searches for it's type and "vertical banding" or "image faults". So brands have a worse reputation than others.  

Edited by unreasonable

Fwiw... if you want the best of both worlds at a great price you might also have a look at the iiyama 43 inch monitor ... 

https://iiyama.com/gl_en/products/prolite-x4372uhsu-b1

I have this since two weeks and it is all that I hoped for at a price of 499 usd / 479 euro. 

It is only 60 hz, but ips and static contrast of 1:1300. 

The LG oled48cx would of course be simply perfect as a TV, but I use this iiyama as my main windows pc monitor, photograph apps etc. No burn in trouble with the led monitor. If you want better contrast look at fald direct led TVs and monitors, but those are more expensive than edge lit led monitors. 

TVs and monitors with 120 or 144 hz are also better for gaming with a high end GPU, but are also more expensive.

Succes with your choice! 

Posted (edited)

The bigger the better. If you can go afford to go 55+ and OLED 4K go for it you wont regret it.

If you would use it mainly for sim you will need to check for the response time, so you minimize the motion blur, the lower the better (OLED is the best for that) No need to worries about the input lag unless you play competitive FPS (first person shooter)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/video-gaming

Edited by dBee

I went from a LG 55B7A 4K OLED TV (3 yrs) to Samsung Curved C49RG9 Gaming Monitor (2 months) so let me give you some things to consider

Why TV over PC monitor: The only reason I would chose a TV is use. If you are in a 12x12 sq ft (4.5 x 4.5 sq. m) which is about avg for the US and you don't want to not buy both, going with a '55 OLED is the way to go. dBee's recommended website is what I used to make the final decision for my purchase. Note: The reason I went with a 55" vs a 65" was eye focus - I had a hard time focusing without getting a headache after a few hours in my 15 x 15 sq foot room (sitting 12 feet for the TV). I mounted my TrackIR behind me.

Why PC monitor over TV: Closer is better when it comes to spotting targets! regardless of the 1080p 120Hz I get with my TV, there is no comparison with running PC monitor at 5120 x 1440. The crips and clarity is just phenomenal with a high-end gaming monitor.

Price: That's up to you.

My 2 cent suggestion - it depends on what you ultimately are looking to achieve.

• If you are looking for a TV you can game with - get a 4K OLED TV
  • If you are looking for the best image and clarity - get a high-end gaming monitor
  • If you are looking for the best gaming experiences - get a VR Headset

On 5/25/2020 at 1:11 PM, JG7_X-Man said:

I went from a LG 55B7A 4K OLED TV (3 yrs) to Samsung Curved C49RG9 Gaming Monitor (2 months) so let me give you some things to consider

Why TV over PC monitor: The only reason I would chose a TV is use. If you are in a 12x12 sq ft (4.5 x 4.5 sq. m) which is about avg for the US and you don't want to not buy both, going with a '55 OLED is the way to go. dBee's recommended website is what I used to make the final decision for my purchase. Note: The reason I went with a 55" vs a 65" was eye focus - I had a hard time focusing without getting a headache after a few hours in my 15 x 15 sq foot room (sitting 12 feet for the TV). I mounted my TrackIR behind me.

Why PC monitor over TV: Closer is better when it comes to spotting targets! regardless of the 1080p 120Hz I get with my TV, there is no comparison with running PC monitor at 5120 x 1440. The crips and clarity is just phenomenal with a high-end gaming monitor.

Price: That's up to you.

My 2 cent suggestion - it depends on what you ultimately are looking to achieve.

• If you are looking for a TV you can game with - get a 4K OLED TV
  • If you are looking for the best image and clarity - get a high-end gaming monitor
  • If you are looking for the best gaming experiences - get a VR Headset

So would you recommend PC monitor X? I'm using 32 Samsung and I'm not completely happy with it.