Semor76

instrument reflections broken?

...or is this effect so weak that I cant see it?

2020_5_21__16_8_26.jpg

Posted (edited)

Did you even turn it on in the graphics options? Default after the update is „off“

Edited by H_Stiglitz

25 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

2020_5_21__16_8_26.jpg

First, it depends on the light source and on which position the sun is. Second, it depends on your settings you chose for the cockpit reflection. If you set it to

normal then cockpit reflection is much more subtle and depending on the angle of sight a bit difficult to notice. But, as for what I'm concerned I don't think it

is broken. Maybe some plane cockpits need a little bit of tuning, maybe. But to say it is broken? Don't think so.

The glass lens effect isn’t as pronounced as I expected it to be. I can see it but not as clearly as I’d like to.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

This is personal Preferences. I actually flew a mission and considered it to be too much. And was thinking I was to turn it off. Then I flew another one with overcast and another plane and could barely  see it. 
Dont be so damn quick to judge. 
If too much you can’t spot shit. I am just glad those scratches are gone

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

2020_5_21__16_8_26.jpg

In the top left corner I can see some reflections in the canopy. Same as in the top right. Seems like it works to me? Not exactly a mirror but there is definitely reflections going on.

EDIT: Looking closely, in the top left corner you can see a reflection in the canopy of the Boost gauge and the engine temperature guages. The three circles in a triangle arrangement. They are inverted from their organization on the cockpit.

Edited by RedKestrel

16 minutes ago, H_Stiglitz said:

Did you even turn it on in the graphics options? Default after the update is „off“

12 minutes ago, Rjel said:

The glass lens effect isn’t as pronounced as I expected it to be. I can see it but not as clearly as I’d like to.

Well, I did a few flights in the QMB and to be honest I cant see any reflections on the instruments. Strange...

I like the effect in X-Plane and CoD.

Posted (edited)

From my testing its much more visible with MSAA. Also Its more visible when you point your plane in to the sun and not the opposite. It only reflect canopy, the glass itself is almost invisible. In previsous version, when you look on instruments with your head outside the cockpit from the side, there was nice reflection of the instruments glass. I expected something like that. Current  reflection seems strange to me. (Im talking about instruments reflection, not the canopy glass  reflection) canopy reflection are normaly visible.

Edited by Voidhunger
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

In the top left corner I can see some reflections in the canopy. Same as in the top right. Seems like it works to me? Not exactly a mirror but there is definitely reflections going on.

These are not really reflections . Its more like an static transparent "reflection effect" (looks nice but is non dynamic)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Semor76 said:

These are not really reflections . Its more like an static transparent "reflection effect" (looks nice but is non dynamic)

Yes, it is static. So what's the problem? I prefer other graphical improvements like Deferred Shading, which brings a lot more

for the game at its visuals. I prefer being able to spot better and to have a smooth experience as being able to see my reflected

stick move while being shot down...

• Upvote 1

This is best instrument reflection i have.

Reflection.jpg

Ya, I have it on the canopies but not seeing it on the instruments.  Can see it pretty good in Jason's video.

I believe some planes don't have it, fore example I couldn't see any gauges reflections on Yak-7B, while they were clearly visible in Yak-1b, LAGG-5FN and Tempest.

I will have another look tonight to make absolutely sure.

I found that flying directly at the sun and shifting your head side-to-side makes those gauges reflections really pop.

Our reflections are subtle and pretty darn realistic. Flat gauges like most of ours are act like a big connected mirror which is how they are in real life. They are not meant to reflect the entire cockpit in each face like some sims do. They are working as intended in 4.006.

Yes when you move your head around the effect is more noticeable. When it's stationary its not as obvious. It's possible a couple planes are missing it as we were in a frantic effort to finish them all. If Mike didn't get to a couple yet or he goofed I would not be surprised. We had to add this to A LOT of cockpits.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Posted (edited)

Semor, your cockpit is extremely dark. Either you use low gamma setting, or you've got HDR off. Maybe instrument reflections are less visible in these conditions? 

For example, in Spit, you should be able to see your seat reflection easily most of the time, on turn and bank indicator, especially when moving your head side to side.

Edited by Art-J

1 hour ago, Semor76 said:

2020_5_21__16_8_26.jpg

Your gamma is way too low and the scene is too saturated. 

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

In this video its somewhat more visible, but similar.

It would be nice to have subtle canopy reflection and more visible reflection of the gauges, but even what we have is nice.

https://youtu.be/Bm26L1Foing?t=16

Edited by Voidhunger
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Personally I would like them much more intense. Sometimes I have the feeling there is no glass covering the instruments.

Can we have more options of intensity like a sliding bar to increase or decrease it? This way, everyone would be satisfied!

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
  • Upvote 1

Not really much visible in these pics either

Bf-109-G-14-WNr-462707-2.jpg

post-9266-0-80908100-1393461967.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

I would like them more intense. Sometimes I have the feeling there is no glass covering the instruments.

But why? That's how these instruments work in reality. I have 4 different WWII-era cockpit instruments on my desk here, and at certain angles and times of day, the reflection is almost nonexistent and yes, at times it looks like the glass isn't there. IMO the effect is very well-done. They aren't always going to reflect objects with mirror-like intensity.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Its missing entirely from the yak-7b and maybe some other aircraft.

• Thanks 1

IMHO I think that reflections on the gauges are way too bright, the glass on those dials look like it's even better than in a pair of glasses. I like it a lot though, just wish they looked a bit more dull.

I’m with @LukeFF on this one. They nailed the look of it. It’s pretty close to what I’ve seen in RL cockpits. 

• Upvote 3

The one thing I find a bit confusing is that there is no visible difference between reflections in gauges that are at different vertical distances to the POV.

Really not sure about this but wouldn´t these reflections IRL be different?

I.e. in the K4 cockpit, even though the central panel is nearer to the viewer (especially the artificial horizon) than the surrounding gauges, the reflections in these are exactly the same.

Wouldn´t the different viewing angle due to the different distance change what is reflected?

BTW I´m really damn impressed by the changes to the visuals, just wanted to give you feedback on how the product could become even more visually impressive than it already is.

We Austrians like to call this Jammern auf hohem Niveau (basically whining about little stuff or nitpicking😋).

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Our reflections are subtle and pretty darn realistic. Flat gauges like most of ours are act like a big connected mirror which is how they are in real life. They are not meant to reflect the entire cockpit in each face like some sims do. They are working as intended in 4.006.

Yes when you move your head around the effect is more noticeable. When it's stationary its not as obvious. It's possible a couple planes are missing it as we were in a frantic effort to finish them all. If Mike didn't get to a couple yet or he goofed I would not be surprised. We had to add this to A LOT of cockpits.

Jason

Thx. Problem solved now.

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Your gamma is way too low and the scene is too saturated. 

Jason

Oooookay.....😄

I've seen the cockpit reflections and I thought they were subtle and pretty good.

The cockpit eye candy, with the lighting and reflections and shadows all together, is getting to be insanely good.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, [DBS]Browning said:

The reflections look perfect to me.

I find them different on each type. And that is realistic. Some more some less. I was pretty impressed. 
After first flight I think it was a bit much. 
But I have all graphics set to max   
next flight I found it less clear. 
I wonder if it is also about settings

to be honest I havent noticed reflection on windows in sunny days. When flying. But then again I havent been looking

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte

First off, cockpit reflections are perfectly executed in my humble, completely uniformed opinion. That said, I am experiencing a minor problem with them flying in VR.

• Every time I load the game, cockpit reflections are disabled and do not show up in flight despite my previous settings.
  • If I set them to enabled, it asks me to reboot which I do. The game then reboots in non-VR mode (it used to reboot in VR when making settings changes from VR before)
  • When I then reboot again this time in VR, reflections are disabled and don't show up in flight.
  • If I turn them on then accept changes without rebooting they work, look terrific and are greatly enjoyed.
  • Buuuuut, if I go into the graphics settings again, it says they are disabled and when I reboot they are again disabled.

Like I said, minor problem but it is annoying.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, pfrances said:

First off, cockpit reflections are perfectly executed in my humble, completely uniformed opinion. That said, I am experiencing a minor problem with them flying in VR.

• Every time I load the game, cockpit reflections are disabled and do not show up in flight despite my previous settings.
  • If I set them to enabled, it asks me to reboot which I do. The game then reboots in non-VR mode (it used to reboot in VR when making settings changes from VR before)
  • When I then reboot again this time in VR, reflections are disabled and don't show up in flight.
  • If I turn them on then accept changes without rebooting they work, look terrific and are greatly enjoyed.
  • Buuuuut, if I go into the graphics settings again, it says they are disabled and when I reboot they are again disabled.

Like I said, minor problem but it is annoying.

Have you tried changing the setting in non-VR mode, then restarting the game in non-VR mode and check the setting,

then going into VR-mode to check whether the settings are applied?

Edited by So_ein_Feuerball

Posted (edited)

IMO the gauges reflections are far from imitate what you see in the real cockpit.

In game the glass look plastic and flat. Some glass effects are showing up on gauges when you turn 90 degree to the sun but not when sun  in behind - then the glass effect are not visible..

IMHO 

Glass effect on gauges should be visible all the time because glass do not lose it properties despite the sun angle, only efefct should be different when sun is at different angle to the gagues.

Preset ultra,MSAAx4

sorry not much were changed to the suggestion post I made about the issue  in November 7, 2018

Anyway I thanks Devs for making improvements and trying to make improvements in gfx department, because seriously we need much more overhull - some gfx effects are very outdated.

I know that there is no easy job without dedicated Special FX worker.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, 1PL-Husar-1Esk said:

IMO the gauges reflections are far from imitate what you see in the real cockpit.

In game the glass look plastic and flat. Some glass effects are showing up on gauges when you turn 90 degree to the sun but not when sun  in behind - then the glass effect are not visible..

IMHO 

Glass effect on gauges should be visible all the time because glass do not lose it properties despite the sun angle, only efefct should be different when sun is at different angle to the gagues.

Preset ultra,MSAAx4

In real life it doesn't always seem as obvious as you would expect to see the glass, unless it is actually reflecting direct sunlight. I found this pic on a site about German aircraft cockpits/instruments:

109-G-panel-opt.jpg

Edited by kendo

Just now, kendo said:

In real life it doesn't always seem as obvious as you would expect to see the glass, unless it is actually reflecting direct sunlight. I found this pic on a site about Geramn aircraft cockpit:

109-G-panel-opt.jpg

image.png

image.png

Posted (edited)

So, it does depend on the lighting conditions then, and what angle you are viewing from, and not simply "glass is glass"...?

edit: after trying more aircraft I would prefer a little more reflection too

Edited by kendo

I have flown a bit more. I find reflection to appear dynamic. At least there are light and shadows making it look live. 
I am glad scratches are gone and this instead I fly VR and have only goid things to say about it

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, kendo said:

So, it does depend on the lighting conditions then, and what angle you are viewing from, and not simply "glass is glass"...?

Yes, but glass surface never loose it properties and it's imperfections which make it so easy to recognise as object build material despite the angle which can only change appearance of it not lose it.

Edited by 1PL-Husar-1Esk

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

I have flown a bit more. I find reflection to appear dynamic. At least there are light and shadows making it look live. 
I am glad scratches are gone and this instead I fly VR and have only goid things to say about it

Han actually said something in the Russian forum about reflections - static V dynamic. Seems it's a bit more complex and translation isn't the best, but:

On 5/22/2020 at 6:43 PM, vogel-13 said:

Do you need to animate the reflection from the plexus of the “flashlight" or is it difficult to do now?

Can.

We had a choice:

1. There are no animations in reflections, but they smoothly work out head movements.

2. There are animations in the reflection, but they work out the movements of the head every 2 seconds.

3. There are animations in reflections, they smoothly work out head movements, but the FPS in the game is 1.5..2 times lower.

We have chosen the first.

https://forum.il2sturmovik.ru/topic/13444-обсуждение-версии-4006-deferred-shading-як-9-су-152-новые-кампании-4к-текстуры-для-4-самолетов/?do=findComment&comment=776342

Edited by kendo
  • Thanks 2

If the devs want to further polish guage reflections later down the line I am all for it. But honestly the guage reflections look to be completely realistic. The person who designed it must have spent a ton of time doing the work. Because there is nothing showing poor quality or rushed work here.  

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

But honestly the guage reflections look to be completely realistic. The person who designed it must have spent a ton of time doing the work. 

No one has suggested that there has not been a substantial amount of work behind the reflections we currently see, nor that they look bad.

But on the other hand it can´t be denied that there are several factors that aren´t realistic, such as:

• Different angles onto seperate gauges not producing different pictures. I.e.: BF109 the artificial horizon is nearer to the viewer than the compass,  this difference in viewing angle onto the different glasses should produce different reflections. They don´t in game.
  • Glass at some angles becoming completely invisible. IRL Glass never is completely see through, there will always be a sense of there being something in the way. This is both due to the constant reflection of atmospheric lighting and due to glass also absorbing and diffusing light. Whilst no plane in IL 2 currently has glass reflecting the former, I´m only aware of the 190 D9 adressing the latter.

So yes, the new renderer, the cockpit reflections and the performance gains of the patch are awesome, there will always be things to get better and more realistic.

Edited by So_ein_Feuerball