il2crashesnfails

A-20 most underrated bomber for ground attack?

I think the A-20 Havoc is probably the best ground attack plane in il2.  For the following reasons:

1.) It has a decent payload. 

2.) It is extremely ROBUST. it can take heaps of damage from AAA etc 

3.) It can perform well on a single engine.  When an engine goes out just feather it and fly home. Still has adequate performance to gain altitude.

4.)Also, for its size the Havoc is quiet nimble and it is no slouch in the speed department.

Below is a video of a Single A-20 in the ground attack Role. I think it creates an enormous amount of damage.

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I have a distinct fondness for this thing. Of all the bombers we have right now, it's always been the least temperamental to fly. 

My first experience with the A-20 though was when I tried to use it as target practice when I didn't have Kuban yet. I thought it was going to be a chill target. 

Except it fought back. Really hard. 

Immediately earned my respect and is the sole reason I have Kuban. 

• Upvote 1

It's cocpit also is beautifull

Pe 2 also is a very good bomber , but IF an we get a TU 2 in the future , we will have a clear winner

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, INVADER_WARHAWK said:

It's cocpit also is beautifull

Pe 2 also is a very good bomber , but IF an we get a TU 2 in the future , we will have a clear winner

The Pe-2 I find difficult on a single engine. Also at low speeds it tends to stall very easily IMO.  

Edited by il2crashesnfails

I bought a honeycomb yoke for bombers and P 38. For me it is a bit odd the little movement the yoke has. 
I did not bother that much while using a stick.  I do not claim it is not correct, but it simply make no sense to me with a few inches movement to each side. 
And that is all I do not like with the A 20. 
No it is more. It lack bombardier cockpit. 
Rest is gold

Absolutely agree, the A-20 is a solid bomber and those radial engines are pretty strong - also when people set the gunners up properly and take careful evasive measures its a tough opponent.

Pe-2 with a skilled pilot can also be a difficult nut to crack.

What surprises me is some people think that an aircraft such as the B-25 would be such a better option to the A-20.. I mean its an interesting aircraft certainly and has more of a defensive armament.. but to my rough knowledge it flies about 50mph slower in the cruise to the A-20 which is quite a difference.

Curious to know what you guys think about it...

• Like 1

I really want a better clean levelbomber on allied side. The A 20 could rather be a G when we do not have bombardier cockpit. 
This is why I would liked a B 26 with such a pit. And without gunners. Let the gunners be ai. So we can just have bombardier and pilots pit. We could have had a Mosquito bomber. But not even that was chosen. Allied really lack a essential advantage high level attack possibilities for late war. Axis knows that most attacks will come from low

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I love this beast. So powerful and easy to fly.

Lately I figured for me is the best 16* 100kg bombs from fuselage. Underwing bombs only If targets are large. I approach enemy pretty low, not so fast, and with 40% flaps. With that settings, I dive to target, and release in less then 10m high, just at moment when target is on lower edge of square targeting glass. 

Tanks/vehicles/ships in strait line are my favourite. I strafe 1m above them, and delivering when they are below my rectile, on that lower edge of square targeting glass (that with holo projection). It is nice to turn around and see 8 or more targets in flames.

image.png.65e1328969bda0932e22ed1b73b1c1f7.png

Only, I am easier target for skilled attackers than in PE-2. A-20 is a huge plane, that is to be expected.

PS: 100kg bombs are optimal for most of our targets. 50kg are not powerful enough, and bigger do not help with big spread of targets. 

Edit: and we have front guns under pilot control, beautiful!

Edited by Brzi_Joe
EDIT 2x: Pic added
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

I think the A-20 Havoc is probably the best ground attack plane in il2. 

It would be great if Jason and the developers would consider incorporating the A-20 into Battle of Normandy and Bodenplatte, although by 1944 later models had superseded the C version we have.

• Upvote 1

2x.50cals havent been nerfed and you can set a 190 on fire with a short burst, plus the wings dont seem to brake when pulling Gs. 

I do not like to use any bomber in late war years. The punch on any attacker is strong enough to ground any bomber fast. In my opinion, then is better to take attacker with 1/2 bombs, and do combined role.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

do the bombs sound different since patch?

I thought that as well. I think they've modded the sound. Much better!

@il2crashesnfails "I think it creates an enormous amount of damage"... You THINK so??!!

:popcorm:

• Haha 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:50 AM, [Pb]Slegawsky_VR said:

2x.50cals havent been nerfed and you can set a 190 on fire with a short burst, plus the wings dont seem to brake when pulling Gs. 

I know but its awesome when you manage to hit a 109 in a A-20 ! All the more better if it catches fire.

On 5/22/2020 at 2:45 AM, =EXPEND=Capt_Yorkshire said:

do the bombs sound different since patch? they sound better in this video

I think they have been updated for sure