Han

ATI Radeon troubles after 4.006 update

Posted (edited)

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/51255-3d-wire-mesh-terrain-lines-showing-on-mountains/

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/53078-battle-of-kuban-ground-flickering-bug-over-novorossiysk/

1 hour ago, mrBruce2 said:

I have never had it till the update so idk

I noticed it as soon as I bought the Kuban map nearly a year ago ( Land geometry showing),I trawled the forums at the time and found only one or two posts about it,and it seemed only AMD users were affected .

I used different drivers (on my rx480) in the last few months,including some of the newer ones and it has not gone away.

As I said before I have stuck to 19.10.1 drivers because of the better pixel format option on my 32"tv I use as a monitor,which is not available anymore!

I like the Kuban map so much I fly it nearly all the time so I notice this anomaly plus the flickering texture in the town/dock area of Novorossiysk,which has been reported by others (before the last update) and is still present.

These glitches are only apparent in certain angles,height etc...the land geometry glitch is where clouds are shadowed I think,dark  hilly areas anyhow.

If people fly at so and so height often and at a prefered time of day ...and they are not looking for bugs they probably dont even see them because they dont stand out so much.

Hope these issues as well as the many new ones from the recent update get fixed soon for us AMD owners....fingers crossed!

PS - I found the two posts in the links above from mid 2019.

Edited by SirFlappy

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Beebop said:

While I wholeheartedly agree I am not a member of a tiny development team not funded by a multi-national mega game producer working with a very complex game engine and producing game improvements for free to it's customers. 

And before you write me off as one of the "lucky ones" or some kind of 'fanboi' let me assure you I "suffer" like every other AMD/Radeon user.

Let me ask you, have you ever made something with a complex demanding platform for customers who had a wide variety of platforms to launch it on  and the first time you got everything right?

Thought so.

Sounds like your having a bad day boopeep . lol 

Has anyone rolled back to earlier drivers like 19.xxxx or 18xxx AMD. 

VR had problems with the 20xxx rolled back to 19.12.1 ,  i think that stopped graphic issues in VR . 

dont quote me 

Edited by ACG_KoN

Confirmed here as well: In tank crew, also aircraft, there is black ground artifacts/blobs sighted within the QMB "Winter Maps" ??

All suggested work arounds did not solve the black ground artifacts/ blobs.

Regards

2020_5_25__5_32_3.jpg

• Upvote 1

I have an rx 580 and had the same anomalies as reported however with these settings I have I've had some great games without any glitches, these settings still provide acceptable detail and gameplay.

il2-settings.thumb.jpg.3ed8735f2ab04db390c82203401e4fc1.jpg

il2-settings.jpg

7 hours ago, Boomerang said:

Confirmed here as well: In tank crew, also aircraft, there is black ground artifacts/blobs sighted within the QMB "Winter Maps" ??

All suggested work arounds did not solve the black ground artifacts/ blobs.

Regards

2020_5_25__5_32_3.jpg

Same here. Grass problem helped on the summer maps but winter maps are like looking at strobe lights while taxing.

1. Your videocard model.

Radeon RX580, 8GB.

2. Your driver version.

19.x then 20.2.2.

3. Have you artifacts like on attached screenshots or not (answer "No, I haven't these glitches" - is very important to know too!).

Yes.

4. Does FXAA to MSAA swithcing solving this issue for you completely?

Switching to MSAA drastically improves the quality, but as I approach the ground it becomes too distracting to play.

5. Does driver settings reset to Factory settings with choosing default GAME profile after that helps?

No.

6. If you're using some kind of graphics mods (migoto, re-shade or something) does turning them off helps you?

No mods in use.

1. Your videocard model.

Radeon RX580, 8GB

2. Your driver version.

3. Have you artefacts like on attached screenshots or not (answer "No, I haven't these glitches" - is very important to know too!).

Yes

No. Only a little bit better

5. Does driver settings reset to Factory settings with choosing default GAME profile after that helps?

-

6. If you're using some kind of graphics mods (migoto, re-shade or something) does turning them off helps you?

Only CloudsV12_greysky. I makes no difference when if i use it or not.

1. Your videocard model.

Radeon R9 FURY, 4GB

2. Your driver version.

20.4.2 (Was the same with previous windows certified driver)

3. Have you artefacts like on attached screenshots or not (answer "No, I haven't these glitches" - is very important to know too!).

Yes

No. Only a little bit better

No

No mod

On 5/24/2020 at 1:42 AM, ChuckBarney said:

So, I did all the work arounds, including zeroed out the grass, and it's still (mostly) usable (of course, we're still missing whatever updates like cockpit reflections).  There is still some double vision on moving targets that is especially visible when playing back a recorded flight. And, also, it seemed to have filled the 109G6 with boulders.  This photo is the Yak9T 37mm hitting the tail section of a 109G.  Byproduct do you suppose, as it's unable to render shrapnel accurately?  I've never seen this effect in an explosion before.

109 boulders.jpg

That's what you get when you fight against rock/earth elemental user.

You can overcome this with water element spells.

• Haha 5

1.I have Radeon 7790

2. I had artefact glitches with latest drivers but i try downgrade driver to ver.15.200.1062.1004 and image improved with 70%.

3. FXAA to MSAA swithcing nothing.

4.   I try in settings OFF GRASS and that solved everything ,but the grass is not the most beautiful.

1 hour ago, Halozatiboss said:

I try in settings OFF GRASS and that solved everything ,but the grass is not the most beautiful.

Yes but FINALLY someone mowed those fields!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Yes but FINALLY someone mowed those fields!

It was me. For maximum realism I did it with a scythe hammered out from an old propeller blade. Took ages.

• Haha 1

There are truths but this is a temporary solution

as long as they solve something with the drivers

Posted (edited)

I just wanted to share my impressions of the Hotfix 4.006c! First of all many thanks for this fix. The black shadows are now completely eliminated even with the grass switched back on :)  But apparently there is still a kind of flickering. It was (at least not visible from the cockpit, but in the outside view). It looks like certain viewing angles are causing the flickering. I have seen it on several winter and summer maps. I made a few screenshots to illustrate this. However, it is difficult to capture them in a photo, but unfortunately I have no possibility to show them in a video.

Here again my former answers/specs (which have not changed, except for the black flickering)

Spoiler

1. Your videocard model.

RX 5700 XT

2. Your driver version.

I only have this sort of flickering circle below me close to the ground or starting (then it's around my aircraft . Above  like ~ 70 meters I have no issues at all. Here is a screenshot for clarification:

Reveal hidden contents

Nope

Nope

Nope

1621121025_AMDIssue.thumb.jpg.4ab594e8174aaf35122b168ba4d72009.jpg1217873816_AMDIssue2.thumb.jpg.a69e587454c5d436e2a7c506b096539f.jpg

2102336071_AMDIssue3.thumb.jpg.13faa64b8a5469f0f4d572186ad06372.jpg

Edited by 6FG_Big_Al
added Yak-9 picture
  • Thanks 1

On 5/20/2020 at 11:02 AM, flyingfisch said:

1. Your videocard model: RX 470

2. Your driver version: 20.4.2

3. Have you artefacts like on attached screenshots or not: Yes

4. Does FXAA to MSAA swithcing solving this issue for you completely: No, MSAA helps significantly but there are still flickers especially at low altitudes

5. Does driver settings reset to Factory settings with choosing default GAME profile after that helps? No

6. If you're using some kind of graphics mods (migoto, re-shade or something) does turning them off helps you? Not using any graphics mods

Just tested the new hotfix, no issues for me so far with the hardware in the quote above.

Thanks devs!

Thanks for the patch  i have no troubles   I have a rx 480  and it has fixed  most of the problems  great work thanks again

Я в порядке после сегодняшнего обновления - 26.05.2020

Thanks that was quick, the graphics look awesome again.

The first flights after the latest patch show big improvements: it seems we are back to normal. I'll try to reset grass and all to previous settings to stress the thing and we shall see. Anyway already like this is really enjoyable again!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

I just wanted to share my impressions of the Hotfix 4.006c! First of all many thanks for this fix. The black shadows are now completely eliminated even with the grass switched back on :)  But apparently there is still a kind of flickering. It was (at least not visible from the cockpit, but in the outside view). It looks like certain viewing angles are causing the flickering. I have seen it on several winter and summer maps. I made a few screenshots to illustrate this. However, it is difficult to capture them in a photo, but unfortunately I have no possibility to show them in a video.

Here again my former answers/specs (which have not changed, except for the black flickering)

Reveal hidden contents

1. Your videocard model.

RX 5700 XT

2. Your driver version.

I only have this sort of flickering circle below me close to the ground or starting (then it's around my aircraft . Above  like ~ 70 meters I have no issues at all. Here is a screenshot for clarification:

Reveal hidden contents

Nope

Nope

Nope

1621121025_AMDIssue.thumb.jpg.4ab594e8174aaf35122b168ba4d72009.jpg1217873816_AMDIssue2.thumb.jpg.a69e587454c5d436e2a7c506b096539f.jpg

My thanks also for the hot-fix!  Just wanted to chime in since I also have a 5700XT on 20.4.2 and I also still have the flickering pixelated exterior reflections/shadows at certain viewing angles, exactly the same as Big_Al - so it's not a totally isolated case. 

The black flickering ground area seems to be gone, though!  

Thanks for your fast work, all!

EDIT: I should say, even with this subtle issue it's still very playable, and smoother than I've ever managed to get it!  

Edited by DoctorDrago
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks for fast repair! Grass and terrain is ok.

But, i still have the black line around the plane.

Edited by -EAGLE-Shifter

No issues here.  Switched to FXAA and upped all my graphics to as high as possible.  No graphic glitches anywhere and the game looks better than ever!

Frame rates run from 85 - 122 which ain't bad for an RX580 on a 2K 23" monitor.

Kudos to the team for fixing "my" graphic problem 😉 and a lot more.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Beebop said:

No issues here.  Switched to FXAA and upped all my graphics to as high as possible.  No graphic glitches anywhere and the game looks better than ever!

Frame rates run from 85 - 122 which ain't bad for an RX580 on a 2K 23" monitor.

Kudos to the team for fixing "my" graphic problem 😉 and a lot more.

then I must to choose the FXAA back, right? i choose it and right, its better, i think its problem in setting my graphic card, trees and horizont in low alt is pixeled, its look as AA off. Does anyone have a RX590 graphic card?

i have:

Intel Core i5 8400cpu

16gb ram

Radeon RX 590

thanks

Edited by -EAGLE-Shifter

Today's patch made the game playable again, fantastic! I do still get similar artefacts at the edge of transparencies, however. (RX470, Driver Version
19.50.19.19)

20200527215702_1.jpg

2 hours ago, -EAGLE-Shifter said:

then I must to choose the FXAA back, right? i choose it and right, its better, i think its problem in setting my graphic card, trees and horizont in low alt is pixeled, its look as AA off.

My card has everything set to 'Use application settings', 'Standard' or Disabled.  Anti aliasing is set to 'Multisampling'.  I can use either MSAA or FXAA without penalty other than a slightly lower FPS using MSAA. 

Basically I'm letting the game decide how to render itself and not availing myself of any added "Radeon Eye Candy".

But that's just me.  Your results may vary.

Posted (edited)

After some QMB mission experimentation I have found that both the pixelated shadow/reflection in external view (and occasionally in the cockpit in certain lighting conditions) AND the black outline on the aircraft disappear when using FXAA.  

I also find things look considerably better with MSAA, so I will probably stick with that regardless, but it seems those visual issues are related to the type of AA being used.

Edited by DoctorDrago

RX 5700 XT user here.

I dont get what's going on with the hotfixes. After the hotfix, maybe 2 days ago or so, where I was supposed to turn grass off, the situation was basically ok-ish for a temp solution.

No flicker, grass off, the only downside being that the ground with grass off is kinda ugly, but fine.

Then yesterday, another hotfix for no discernible reason, which resulted in a very small patch of grass, immediately around my tank, kindof like a patch of pubic hair. And very weird double vision effects inside that area, and when looking down onto the tank.

I went back into the settings to see if grass was still off, or if it had been reset, but is still off.

So, situation worsened considerably, please fix.

Since the last hotfix have you tried resetting Grass On and switching to FXAA?  (MSAA should also be fine at a slight FPS penalty)

I did and I have no more errors.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, stupor-mundi said:

RX 5700 XT user here.

I dont get what's going on with the hotfixes. After the hotfix, maybe 2 days ago or so, where I was supposed to turn grass off, the situation was basically ok-ish for a temp solution.

No flicker, grass off, the only downside being that the ground with grass off is kinda ugly, but fine.

Then yesterday, another hotfix for no discernible reason, which resulted in a very small patch of grass, immediately around my tank, kindof like a patch of pubic hair. And very weird double vision effects inside that area, and when looking down onto the tank.

I went back into the settings to see if grass was still off, or if it had been reset, but is still off.

So, situation worsened considerably, please fix.

The first hot fix was really more of a workaround, seemed to be mostly focused on allowing us to turn grass off without config edits since that seemed to be helping some people.  The second hot-fix was the actual fix for the majority of the issues we were seeing.  

I'm on a 5700XT also, and 4.006c largely fixed my visual glitches with a couple small exceptions.  I have not, however, tried in a tank, so that's interesting information!

1 hour ago, DoctorDrago said:

The first hot fix was really more of a workaround, seemed to be mostly focused on allowing us to turn grass off without config edits since that seemed to be helping some people.  The second hot-fix was the actual fix for the majority of the issues we were seeing.  

I'm on a 5700XT also, and 4.006c largely fixed my visual glitches with a couple small exceptions.  I have not, however, tried in a tank, so that's interesting information!

It's difficult for me to understand how the second one is a more proper fix, since with the first one, and the grass 'off', if was really off, which is what you would expect from such a setting. A patch of grass of a few meters diameter around the tank (or maybe airplane), I don't see how that is 'off'.

Admittedly, within this patch-of-grass, at least the flickering shadows that existed before the hotfixes, aren't there, but the new visual artifacts, while not as disturbing as the flickering, certainly aren't an 'actual fix' by any description.

2 hours ago, Beebop said:

Since the last hotfix have you tried resetting Grass On and switching to FXAA?  (MSAA should also be fine at a slight FPS penalty)

I did and I have no more errors.

How weird! No, I hadn't!

Since the artifacts were constrained to within the small patch of grass, I hadn't thought to turn grass back on.

I just did, turned it to 'normal', and now, no artifacts!

No idea how that makes sense, but that's the outcome...

• Like 1

Flew around on a few winter maps and the cosmic bowling strobe lights seem to have been removed.

Thanks a bunch for getting the issue sorted out.

On 5/26/2020 at 6:20 PM, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Reveal hidden contents

1. Your videocard model.

RX 5700 XT

2. Your driver version.

Reveal hidden contents

Nope

Nope

Nope

Unfortunately the pixels on the wings have not been fixed with Hotfix 4.006d.  :(

17 minutes ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Unfortunately the pixels on the wings have not been fixed with Hotfix 4.006d.  :(

I can confirm this, using MSAA they are still there for me also. 

To be fair, though, the release notes for 4.006d mentioned only FXAA and no-AA artifacts, so I am optimistic that the MSAA artifacts are still being worked on!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for Hotfix 4.006d.  I have no pixels showing on any aircraft flying or static, flashing grass textures are gone even with grass turned on, no black artifacts on Winter maps and my performance is improved in FXAA and MSAA since 4.006.  RX 570 with driver version 19.12.1.  Thanks Developers, I couldn't be happier.

After first big update 4.006 and all hotfixes (including last one from today) game is unplayable for me. Before that it was almost perfect.

FXAA is mess and with MSAA there is no graphic from cockpit - everything is black.

Video card: Radeon M255RX
Driver: 16.150.2211.0
MSAA is not solving issue with FXAA - its worse 
Drivers are on factory settings.
Never use any mods. 

Screenshoots, one with FXAA and one with MSAA are attached.

2020_5_28__21_0_0FXAA.jpg

2020_5_28__21_7_34MSAA.jpg

12 hours ago, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Have same issue rx5700 non xt latest drivers

On 5/28/2020 at 10:53 PM, 6FG_Big_Al said:

Please note:

These pixels - they're both on FXAA and MSAA for you? Or only in one specific setting?