SCG_Neun

Latest Update...game changer?

13 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

look at the forum, there are guys who are satisfied and praise developers that the game is a blast.

What I am looking for is simply seeing responses sometimes. I am in no way asking for a fix that must happen today but simply some feedback on what is on their mind, what is being looked at, planned, etc. - this is a very big difference. 

A company that relies on a core product and adding modules and features to this somewhat relies on a symbiotic relationship with a core set of customers. We get updates and in return we (the community) make additions that enriches the game where possible (Skins, missions, etc) and report back issues and feedback for bugs. I would have expected in return some level of feedback on this - in particular when it comes to a product in EA. Many times EA is such that it is more open to communication going on between devs and users if you look around. 

As a comparison - DCS has moderators on the forums where there is often daily communication going on in the ED forums, on reddit and in Discord. The moderators or ED might overpromise sometimes but when they come out openly and admit this and explain what is going on, in the majority of cases, the community is extremely appreciative of their openness to communicating with them. 

Alright I don't want to milk this topic any further but just sit back and hope the devs will engage a little bit more with us. I hope it is clear that I wish to promote a healthy communication by nudging them and I am not trying to shoot down TC and the devs as I really hope TC will be the number one WW2 tank sim one day :) 

• Upvote 2

unfortunately, no matter how transparent or engaged the devs attempt to be, for many, it will never be enough, or the wrong type of communication, or too much tech info, or too litte tech info, etc etc ad nauseum.

to be fair, the devs do communicate and are involved with the community to a decent level.

im also sure there's loads of upcoming plans theyd love to tell us but simply cant for a myriad of reasons.

on the whole, im happy with comms.

ymmv ;)

• Upvote 1

I notice a 1 gig update coming out today......

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SCG_Neun said:

I notice a 1 gig update coming out today......

Are you referring tot the 4.006c hotpatch ?

Has anybody else come across the issue that when you fire shells there isn't any sound but if you following click F2 for external view it will trigger the sound? 

nope, but in one occasion I manage to show up a strange big menu on the left with only one order for the AI and the keyboard become stuck.

Only way to exit the game was forced restart.

My understanding is that it is a separate team working on TC so hopefully this team is not only doing the modelling of the tanks but also AI behaviours, commands, etc... but who knows :) 

Not only for TC but in general an improvement to AI will enable better scenarios for any type of vehicles involved so ideally the changes would be global. 

I haven't tried making missions for TC yet, but is it possible to tell the AI to a) go from point A to point B that pass through a village and the tanks know how to navigate around the buildings or will they give up or drive straight through them? 

Just had my first serious go on Finnish Virtual Pilots since the update, and, in my opinion, it's a serious game changer for multiplayer. No more tanks sitting outside the spawn and letting the AI do all the dirty work. No more magic AI spotting. You, as a player, have to do all the heavy lifting. Got a nice one shot kill at 300m simply because the other player's situational awareness was lacking...and that's the way it should be. 

With this I believe multi-crewed tanks are going to be extremely important going forward. 

Big improvements to handling as well. 

My big wish now is that they'd add height maps for us ground folk. 

Edited by =RainDogs=Quimbymouse
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, =RainDogs=Quimbymouse said:

Just had my first serious go on Finnish Virtual Pilots since the update, and, in my opinion, it's a serious game changer for multiplayer. No more tanks sitting outside the spawn and letting the AI do all the dirty work. No more magic AI spotting. You, as a player, have to do all the heavy lifting. Got a nice one shot kill at 300m simply because the other player's situational awareness was lacking...and that's the way it should be. 

With this I believe multi-crewed tanks are going to be extremely important going forward. 

Big improvements to handling as well. 

My big wish now is that they'd add height maps for us ground folk. 

I think TC is getting better and better all the time. The developers are listening to our comments and observations. I'm sure they want to create an outstanding tank simulation for us. :salute:

• Upvote 2

with huge love and respect, the devs are *always* listening, even when we may think theyre not :)

it does *feel* like the entire series is really coming together as cohesive whole at this particular moment!

every flight/tank ride i take now, i see something that impresses/surprises me.

i cant wait to see what the future brings.

Edited by OrLoK
  • Upvote 2

I agree on all you said Quimbymouse - except with a M4A2 you can still let the AI do the heavy lifting - point an M2 at the target aim down sights and give the order to the gunner ;)

My 2 cents:

The fact that the recent AI targeting 'feature' can now be disabled by the server admins basically repairs TC for online.

EFront have put the 'new' tanks back into the missions, which is great, and other tank servers are now playable again.

There seems to have been some subtle change with regards to HUDs, so now we can see on Finnish what ammo we have loaded, which to me now makes Finnish playable in a tank, yay!

Lots of issues remain, but this was a big step.

I just started a thread "Ping over limit from aircraft strafing" which is an old issue from many versions back which has now apparently come back, bad news.

An issue which has been status quo for a long time is getting kicked with bad ping when there are flames in the tank. I think the devs should look at how this plays online, when not in the internet location where they are, and how they are, i.e. I think they are on a very fast connection. Maybe they could use VPNs and such to experience and simulate the issues which people actually have, instead of viewing the online playing situation from some ivory tower.

But top of the list for me are:

* The invisible trees

* Excessive (engine and crew) damage when bumping into stuff

* Trees, collision wise, not being exactly where they are visually (which can cause you to bump into them, and be damaged)

* Balance problems with the available tanks. It's difficult for the server admins to create something balanced without savagely limiting Tigers.

* Excessive power of aircraft vs tanks, a) when compared with historical data, and b) with regards to: why tankers would want to play this, even if it was historically correct

* APCR is I believe still broken, I've tried it out the last couple of days...

* AI seeing and shooting through forest

Apart from these real issues, I have to say that, while the repair system helps with the invisible trees and the glass engine issue, I think it's silly with regards to what IL-2 wants to be. In a "sim" , having tracks repaired within a minute, or an engine repaired within a few minutes, just has no place. Even though it makes for exiting game play...

Edited by stupor-mundi
  • Upvote 1

Many of the raised requests seem to be mainly for MP. In Australia there aren't many servers and beyond this the ping is pretty low. So for me I hope there will be some SP improvements.

Not sure TC is worth getting for the SP experience today, what do you think? 

11 hours ago, inexus said:

Many of the raised requests seem to be mainly for MP. In Australia there aren't many servers and beyond this the ping is pretty low. So for me I hope there will be some SP improvements.

Not sure TC is worth getting for the SP experience today, what do you think? 

I have to admit I just use SP for checking settings and such.

The 'AI's in TC, just like IL-2 Great Battles, I don't even know why we call them that, they are basically vehicles which drive on some preordained path, occasionally stop, and shoot at you very accurately. The AIs in Quake, 1995-ish were smarter than this.

Consequently, an SP mission, if it's exciting and difficult, has to achieve that by using large amounts of them, or place them very well.

I get nothing out of fighting enemies of this kind, but that's different for everyone.