Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

11 hours ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Weird, I didn't notice any VR improvement (I have HP Reverb and 2080Ti and still cannot get a smooth 90fps experience without turning-on reprojection which introduces graphical errors).

Also, some planes (like Yak-7B) don't have cockpit gauges reflections, but I chalk it up to work-in-progress.

IMHO despite all that it is still a good patch because I maintain same performance as before with nicer graphics and sounds (I hear ground explosions now).

The biggest improvement is reducing CPU load, so if that was not your bottleneck before then you will see less of an improvement. Changing AA to FXAA will show much bigger improvements at the cost of jaggier experience.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

The biggest improvement is reducing CPU load, so if that was not your bottleneck before then you will see less of an improvement. Changing AA to FXAA will show much bigger improvements at the cost of jaggier experience.

Jaggier experience??? Sorry, but to me it doesn't look jaggy at all. Btw. did you enable FXAA in the NCP too? That's what I did, but already a long time ago.

• Upvote 3
3 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

Jaggier experience??? Sorry, but to me it doesn't look jaggy at all. Btw. did you enable FXAA in the NCP too? That's what I did, but already a long time ago.

It looks very jaggy in VR, not in 2D.

• 1CGS

Guys,

No reason to argue which is better. Just use the AA method you like. It's your experience, who cares what other people use. There are pros and cons to both methods.

About Radeon issues, we will set up a special thread in a little while and let's take that issue there so we can separate it from the other more general conversation and get some clarity on what is happening and look for a solution or work around. We're already investigating as you can see, but we need to focus the issue and get it out of the main chatter. Too confusing.

Glad to hear the vast majority of you are having no issues and like the overall result. :)

Jason 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 5
2 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Glad to hear the vast majority of you are having no issues and like the overall result. :)

Yep, it’s a great update! Had to do some housecleaning to make room on my hard drive, but it was worth it :salute: 

Hmm...

I have an issue unfortunally.

The game does not start anymore.

The first loading screen with the red bar down on screen is only filling up to ca. 1/4 - 1/3 and than it stops.

Going to the task manager after several minutes shows me, that there is "no reaction" from the game.

Yesterday I downloaded the update, shutting down Komputer.

Today I tried it with the descriped failure.

I checked via steam the game files - 1 missing file was requested.

I restarted the Komputer, with the same result than.

Last hope now for me - I make a clear de- and reinstallation of the game.

I have one question:

For the contrast I am using since 2 years now this "Reshader 3D" program or how is it called.

As this new update is aiming to give us more reflections in this section, can this be the trouble origin now?

Edited by KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82
english grammar stuff
1 minute ago, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

Hmm...

The first loading screen with the red bar down on screen is only fillip up to ca. 1/4 - 1/3 and than it stops.

Going to the task manager after several minutes shows me, that there is "no reaction" from the the game.

I have one question:

For the contrast I am using since 2 years now this "Reshader 3D" program or hos is it called.

As this new update is aiming to give us more reflections in this section, can this be the trouble origin now?

Check Sneaksie's posts in this thread for some tips, I believe ReShade may cause some issues since the migration to the new renderer.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, KG_S_Kalle_Kalutz82 said:

Hmm...

The first loading screen with the red bar down on screen is only fillip up to ca. 1/4 - 1/3 and than it stops.

Going to the task manager after several minutes shows me, that there is "no reaction" from the the game.

I have one question:

For the contrast I am using since 2 years now this "Reshader 3D" program or hos is it called.

I suggest to simply delete your startup.cfg file and to start the game - your deleted file will be created when game is launched.

• Upvote 1

For me I don't notice anything new in this patch, i dont see anything new. If I put msaa the performance drops and I have jerks, therefore I stay as I was, fxaa 4. The only downside is that in the vr the collimator crosshair is almost invisible, I used the mod for that.

• Confused 1

Downloaded and running fine with no problems (Nvidia GTX1060). Thanks chaps for a super update, but please, please let the player have the option of removing flying tips and leaving the tech tips visible, it's damned annoying having a pop up telling you when to retract gear/flaps etc. All we need now is a flyable C-47........hint, hint!! Money waiting!!!

Edited by ilmavoimat
Missed a bit out!

First,

Thanks for your continuing hard work, it's appreciated.

Secondly,

A question: Did we lose some options for the on-screen instrument panel? I had it setup to show only the compass before, for planes with very awkward compass placements; Spits, Yaks and the like... But now, I can't seem to make it display like that anymore. Maybe I'm missing something...

Cheers,

M.

1 hour ago, Bridgeman said:

All this seems reasonable but for some reason it just doesn't seem to work this way. I have the same experience as other multiplayers on VR (without 3Dmigoto), just tail chased a 109 for some time on Wings of Liberty peering avidly through the default IL2 zoom. Could only finally ID it as actually another (probably very annoyed) Spitfire at ~300m. Am using a Rift-S with SS 1.3, 2xFXAA which is about what my new-ish system can drive.

Do you know what your VR Render Target Resolution (final rendered resolution) is per eye with SS at 1.3?

Do you have other settings that effect SS?

How is this render target resolution compared to the native resolution of your headset?

I ask this because VR SS can be a double edged sword - yes more SS can improve the image but it needs to be in relation to your devices physical screen resolution otherwise you are creating more computational work for your system and getting a poor image as a result. The Rift S has a per eye resolution of 1280x1440.

What is the SS resolution per eye are you are sending to it??

Trying to help as VR can be difficult but also awesome and when running right, you should have no issues with 2x in game zoom up to 2kms

Edited by blitze
double merged post
6 minutes ago, blitze said:

Trying to help as VR can be difficult but also awesome and when running right, you should have no issues with 2x in game zoom up to 2kms

This is ingame 2km with full VR zoom (1.5x)

lfwPlUy.gif

Hi All

sounds like a great update but I have little time to wade thru the whole thread to get the lowdown on what works what doesn't and best setting for enjoying the new stuff

Any summary of does and don'ts very much appreciated thanks  

I currently play on mostly Ultra on a reasonable system with a Radeon Card   .... I don't use VR .... I do use Cloud Mod by rowdyb00t

26 minutes ago, ilmavoimat said:

Thanks chaps for a super update, but please, please let the player have the option of removing flying tips and leaving the tech tips visible, it's damned annoying having a pop up telling you when to retract gear/flaps etc.

Those options are now in the realism settings as as "Info feed" and "Handling tips".

46 minutes ago, SYN_Mugue said:

First,

Thanks for your continuing hard work, it's appreciated.

Secondly,

A question: Did we lose some options for the on-screen instrument panel? I had it setup to show only the compass before, for planes with very awkward compass placements; Spits, Yaks and the like... But now, I can't seem to make it display like that anymore. Maybe I'm missing something...

Cheers,

M.

Default key is i IIRC. But you can also set it in the game's settings. See here (forget about the arrow):

Inked2020_5_20__11_7_18_LI.thumb.jpg.77bfce3d1733a5860563d95d22e737f7.jpg

It's called "Instrument panel" - compass and now new a G-meter.

S! All, if anyone with a really good graphic card... could give me your settings for your Nvidia card...
I want to find the best settings to match my High settings choices in game.

For all with a problem when starting the game, plz remove your old Reshade!
I know that many are saying that the latest version of Reshade works... but I would do a check intergrity (for those on Steam) and a backup with your working game!

Cheers,.
GenMarkof

1 minute ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I waited 10 seconds and nothing changed

@LF_Gallahad

Mmh, I did some tests with cockpit reflection set to normal and high - both do the same and to me, they are static.

F.ex. if you get into the YAK9 or LA5FN (both have a thick armored glass behind the head of the pilot) you can see

the reflection of the cockpit, the stick and even the pedals - move them and you won't see any motion of the reflection,

they are static.

But finally, that's absolutely OK for me. Looks good as is - we don't need to push it too far, do we?

Cheerio

For me the game looks best on 4xMSAA, make sure you turn of sharpening. I had it on for the general setting and ground textures and I was getting horrible jaggies at a distance. I turned them both off now and everything looks fine.

I'm using a 1080 on 1140p monitor and the game has never looked better. 👍

this isn't really the topic at hand, but would it be a lot of work programming wise to include some planes in career mode that we never see? I'm referring to JU-88s, JU-53s, P-38s. Hell, I don't think I've seen a single mustang in BoBP so far. It seems like these planes have been completely forgotten when career mode was implemented.

Absolutely fantastic and a big thanks for all the hard work.

Not a hitch so far for me, everything smoother, faster and better. I just tried out the new canopy reflections at max with the gauge reflections, just excellent stuff.

Loving the Yak-9 & the Yak-9T

I've only just run it for half and hour or so and so far I'm delighted, thanks again to all involved :good:

33 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

Default key is i IIRC. But you can also set it in the game's settings. See here (forget about the arrow):

Inked2020_5_20__11_7_18_LI.thumb.jpg.77bfce3d1733a5860563d95d22e737f7.jpg

It's called "Instrument panel" - compass and now new a G-meter.

Thanks for the response. I am aware of that command. What I'm trying to get at is, it used to be possible to have just the compass and not the rest of that instrument panel showing. I'm not interested in having the g meter or airspeed etc. clogging up the screen. I like to read the gauges and see little need for the g meter because it's self evident when pulling too hard....

Cheers,

M.

Edited by SYN_Mugue

Wonderfully easy install.No problems with small exception : all my newly installed cockpit pinup photos seemed to have reverted to the default ones and I can't figure out why?

Thanks too for the new scripted missions add-ons in Flying Circus- I do hope these is more to come with FC.It is a beautiful part of this Sim!

BTW It seems to work just fine with my Pimax5K headset.

23 minutes ago, -=PHX=-Satch said:

AMD Radeon 5700 XT Nitro

My settings, no problems here. I hope that helps others guys! 

Bos.thumb.jpg.841cdaa61e930a256dc78bf714f2a508.jpgamd2.thumb.jpg.1701e825312ff4131b760459dd7c1355.jpg498686945_AMD1.thumb.jpg.185320855736933c52cab32e9c239738.jpg57

if you have not already done so - I would post this in the dedicated radeon problems thread Han links to at top fo this page

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Beebop said:

pencon said:

So how do I back up  data files before the patch install ? I have the   il2 website version .

Copy and Paste the 'data' folder inside your main game folder and any other folders/files important to you into a folder you make on your desktop ("4005 Backups"). 

Then after updating if you are having issues Copy the new 'data' folder onto a second folder on your desktop ("New 4006") and install the backup(s). 

If it solves your problems, Bueno!

If not you can re-install the folders/files from your 4006 folder.

I do this with every update.  So far the backups have been unnecessary.  (Murphy's Law; since you made backups you won't need them.  If you don't, you will).

If you use MODS, unload your JSGME prior to updating in case some may not work, like the 3dmigoto mod.

I didnt get mine backed up . I thought the patch would download  and then i could  copy the folder before I pressed "Install " .  It installed automatically though , And I lucked out . No issues . Thank God I have Nvidia  2080ti .

1 hour ago, KPnutskgwanchos said:

Hi All

sounds like a great update but I have little time to wade thru the whole thread to get the lowdown on what works what doesn't and best setting for enjoying the new stuff

Any summary of does and don'ts very much appreciated thanks  

I currently play on mostly Ultra on a reasonable system with a Radeon Card   .... I don't use VR .... I do use Cloud Mod by rowdyb00t

Sneaksie (developer) has a post in the thread outlining possible fixes if you have trouble. My post below is probably not comprehensive - I have only been able to get onto the forums and not able to download the patch yet (no time this week, currently on lunch break).

First, back up your Data folder at the least from your game files. Some people have had their keymapping reset to default or lost their cockpit photos. If you can back up the whole game folder, that might not be a bad idea.

Set all your graphics cards settings to default/application controlled in the control panel. You can keep track of your old settings but they are unlikely to give the same effect now that the rendering is so different. This way you will know also if any issues are caused by the graphics card processing itself or an issue with the game

Reshade and graphical mods may cause issues. Most of the graphical mods are likely going to be broken by this release. Its recommended that if you have issues after installing, remove Reshade and any mods for the time being. Launch in Mods Off mode.

Radeon cards appear to have graphical glitches and artifacting issues but they are not universal. I have seen someone with a 5700XT having no issues, while others with 570 or 580s do. Devs are working on a fix and gathering data from the community. Because of work from home they weren't able to test on Radeon hardware as thoroughly as they wanted to. Since you have a Radeon card there is a good chance you will see some of these issues. If you are planning on downloading the update now and not waiting for a hotfix, it would be very useful for you to report your experience in the technical issues thread here: 

The new types of AA (FXAA) increases performance but looks slightly less smooth than MSAA, if you are having performance problems switch to FXAA. According to Han FXAA + Sharpen in the graphics settings should help with spotting aircraft against the ground. If you are getting artifacting try to switch AA types or go to no AA.

If you have a lower end card turn 4K textures off, since more planes have 4K skins now since this update, some graphics cards may struggle to load these textures if they have less than 4GB of memory (according to Geronimo over on his 3000 steps thread in the Manuals section - look at recent posts there for a good summary of things to try for best looking game and best spotting -

).

Unfortunately there is a lot of information spread across multiple threads right now. We will almost certainly see hotfixes in the next couple days. Hopefully the Radeon issues get sorted as quickly as possible.

• Thanks 1

Hi there

The new 'naval' logic (ships may have ground collisions and stop) seems to create some problems...
I've created a mission where ships leave rotterdam harbour and enter the harbour from/to 0805
that was working before the update without any problems.

After the update any of my ships (tankers and cargo) runs aground near 0805-1 or -2 and none of the ships between that point and the harbour is able to move.

Maybe we need some additional water depth informations for setting the waypoints or the water hast do be made deep enough...

Deci

In case any admin wants to have the mission for testing please let me know by pm

Edited by JG4_Deciman
16 hours ago, LukeFF said:

No, it's predetermined by the map.

As it turns out, even more specific than that...P-40 on Bodenplatte map still has Comrade Pilot. Must have to be written into the actual mission code. 

Im running on an older MSI laptop w. Nvidia GTX960M. This update improved my performance it seems and looks better too! I can get 40+ fps now (was 30-35 before).Worked perfect after install - no settings changes needed. I have 8x AA turned on in Nvidia control panel. Couldnt get the in game AA to work right on my machine before. Maybe I should try again and see if it improves more. Settings below. Maybe this helps someone else with an older laptop?

image.thumb.png.f81487369ee9e185dd0189e0753df9ec.png

image.thumb.png.0366c27a7a8dd1943f6ebdd1a2f6f309.png

image.thumb.png.1ee95f8a9078838ba585a2eda9d65cc4.png

image.thumb.png.536bf47ea247027128b187e38385423b.png

image.png

• 1CGS
4 minutes ago, -=PHX=-Geo- said:

F*ck really?????? no Reshade??????? 

We are not responsible for re-shade compatibility. Some other version works from what I hear anyways. Not our responsibility though. And stop the cussing please. 

Jason

• Like 6
  • Upvote 13

The 37mm's performance certainly lends credence to the idea that gun damage isn't quite calculated properly in Multiplayer. All the planes in this clip returned home:

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Han unpinned this topic