Han

Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

HUGE thanks! I have better FPS, better contact visibility, better performance in career and the planes look better.

👍 WAY to go

Working great for me, great work from all involved, thank you very much :)

Looks a lot better in VR now, even the enemy AI seems to have perked up a bit.

11 hours ago, JG1_GenMarkof said:

S! @Retrofly, can't find my initial file of reshade...

Can you tell me what file did you remove for the game to work?

Sorry for the request, but can't find the original file from reshade.

thx

I had the same problem but when you start the Reshade installer, there's uninstall option and that did the trick, working fine now and with the latest Reshade too

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Geronimo553 said:

Be sure to turn off 4k textures. Far more planes have 4k textures now and your video card will need a minimum of 4gb of video game to process it. A 660 will not have enough video ram.

Thanks for the tip!

Oooo nice! Tanks now have that "simple gauges" implementation available when the server has set it as off. So now tankers have info about which round type is loaded. This is good!

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, blitze said:

You have either FXAA or MSAA to choose from.  It will be one or the other in your graphics settings.  If you have AA at 2x or 4x it will apply which ever technique you have selected.  If it is at 0x then AA will not be applied.  They (FXAA/MSAA) do not work together.

Be sure to have AA settings in Graphics Card Settings (nvpanel / amd control panel) set to Application Controlled.

Ahh thanks for explanation Blitze! 👍 Now is clear. Do you find FXAA or MSAA better for spotting? Some ppl said the plane is looking better in front of the clouds now with FXAA.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

does anyone have a SweetFX or reShade alternative?

9 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Ahh thanks for explanation Blitze! 👍 Now is clear. Do you find FXAA or MSAA better for spotting? Some ppl said the plane is looking better in front of the clouds now with FXAA.

MSAA = MultiSampling Anti-Aliasing. If the game supports it, it provides the best image quality behind SSAA (SuperSampling Anti-Aliasing). ... FXAA = Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing. This is the lowest quality AA available, but works with pretty much any game.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Undecided for now.

No AA, FXAA or MSAA LOL.

Running no AA at the moment in VR.  Spotting has improved a lot but with FXAA x2 I find there was a slight tan halo round aircraft with clouds behind them.  Must test further.  Not sure if it is AA or bloom being the issue.  Bloom is much better in this update though compared to earlier, especially on Winter Sunny days.

Oh Icer has a quick summary - if using SS above 1 in VR - wouldn't bother using MSAA or FXAA

Edited by blitze
new info

12 minutes ago, Icer said:

FXAA = Fast Approximate Anti-Aliasing. This is the lowest quality AA available, but works with pretty much any game.

AND, it still looks very, very good. Especially on systems like mine, it is very good for the performance and spotting is better than before.

FXAA x 4 is absolutely not taxing the performance compared to MSAA x 2 f.ex. - it runs very smooth, looks still very good and finally

I can spot a damn thing before getting spotted, which isn't bad, is it? I still get shot down, but at least I can brag that I saw him first!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, blitze said:

Undecided for now.

No AA, FXAA or MSAA LOL.

Running no AA at the moment in VR.  Spotting has improved a lot but with FXAA x2 I find there was a slight tan halo round aircraft with clouds behind them.  Must test further.  Not sure if it is AA or bloom being the issue.  Bloom is much better in this update though compared to earlier, especially on Winter Sunny days.

Oh Icer has a quick summary - if using SS above 1 in VR - wouldn't bother using MSAA or FXAA

I also get a nasty halo and if I'm around 500m above a Ju52 that is close to cloud it looks like a black roughly aircraft shaped blob.

In my Index I notice a considerable difference if I switch from 4xAA to no AA.  MSAA drops my fps by 20 though.

von Tom

Hi Fellow Pilots,

updated to 4.006. Game crashed to Desktop. Uninstalled older ReShade Version. After that game starts. Installed Reshade 4.6.1. Game starts as well. BUT - graphics errors. See attached picture.

Problem may be caused by my graphics card. It's an AMD RADEON VII, latest drivers (20.4.2)

(first problems ever, until 4.005d everything ran without problems)

Windows 10 (v. 1909, Build 18363.836)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, 16 GB RAM

Thanks for support, keep up the good work! Cheers!

IL2_4006-Bug1.jpg

28 minutes ago, blitze said:

Undecided for now.

No AA, FXAA or MSAA LOL.

My post at the top of this page compares AA settings on 1.1SS supersampling in VR

1 hour ago, -IRRE-Biluf said:

... instead to always have to correct it in the startup.cfg file.

What do you mean by this please? What setting is changed?

4 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

I cant see any instrument reflection. I tried from every angle. Is there a game options somewhere in the options menu like for the canopy?

There is an option specifically for cockpit reflections in the graphic settings I think.

2 minutes ago, John_Yossarian said:

What do you mean by this please? What setting is changed?

bloom_enable = 0

If flips to 1 every time the graphic settings are modified.

8 hours ago, Taxman said:

I do have one issue techno/chat, how do you get it not to show up in messaging?

For all those people posting that they can't get tech chat to display / hide; the option has been moved to the realism settings as "Info feed". There's also an option to display / hide the aircraft handling tips in the chat area on the left with a "Handling tips" option.

• Thanks 1

I have ground texture flickering when flying at very low level. Only below about 50 meters. It appears to be the seams of the ground texture tiles. Dark blob in grass ...

Flickering.png.ccb56d10c387c3918e399e9dc068a034.png

Graphics settings below, same issue in FXAA and MSAA.

Latest updated Radeon drivers.

Rift S VR with Opencomposite, not Steam VR.

No 3dMigoto or reshaders.

Rebooted game after settings change, everything else is functioning perfectly in 4.006.

System specs, Ryzen 7 3700x CPU,  MSI B450 MB, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Radeon RX 5700 8GB GPU

Setting.png.13f0266a5d96d7475df0498c6f41946a.png

5 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

There is an option specifically for cockpit reflections in the graphic settings I think.

Indeed there is. 

IMG_20200520_134201.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Cleo9 said:

I already had the FC campaigns; have they been modified since their initial release a few months ago?

Yes, see the part that I have made bold from the update announcement below.

Kaiserschlacht and Spring Offensive are two campaigns developed by our friends at The Syndicate which tells about the same events from different sides of the front line of the spring of 1918. Although previously released to the public, these campaigns have been enlarged to include new unreleased missions. These are the first official campaigns for Flying Circus, allowing you to more fully evaluate the full potential and atmosphere of this great product. These two campaigns will be available free of charge to those who have already purchased Flying Circus: Volume One. There is an accompanying skin-pack for this campaign. It is available in the forum.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I thought that there is a separate option just for the instruments.

Anyway there is a reflection of the canopy in the instruments and I thought that the glass will be more visible, which is not.

8 hours ago, [APAF]spartan85 said:

Switching to fxaa gives great performance... but now I cannot make out contacts until at least within 500m

Everything is clearly visible on the tests. To understand the problem, send a mission, or better a track where you don't see a contact, we will analyze it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Hi all, 

The update is excellent,  the new rendering details are super!  Great work, Jason and Team, and thank you!

I wanted to add my bug report here for completeness and also since I haven't seen my GPU mentioned specifically.  Like some other posts, I am also getting a black and white flickering blob on the ground at very low altitude.  Interestingly, it does not appear in the screenshot I took, though it was definitely happening when I captured it.  Seems to happen regardless of map or plane, in the short time I played last night I was in P-38 and Yak-9T on Stalingrad Winter and Rhineland Summer, both QMB.  Apart from this, no other graphical issues have shown up for me.

I have the cockpit reflections at "Normal", and 4x FXAA is selected. 

My specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700

GPU: AMD RX 5700XT 8GB

Driver: Radeon Software ver. 20.4.2 (Latest Recommended + Optional as of today)

RAM: 16GB

TrackIR 5

Still VERY playable, and maybe even a little smoother than before!  Frame rates are still as solid as last version, and the occasional micro-stutter I used to get when banking seems lessened.  And so far, flying over cities is WAY better; it used to be a stutter fest, now I get a couple hitches as I fly into the city limits, and then everything smooths out.  So that's big!

Again, just wanted to get the most information out there for the dev team!  Thank you! 

EDIT: I see Jaegermeister posted another 5700 as I was writing this.  Still, the more information the better!

Edited by DoctorDrago
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cleo9 said:

Tried to start a Yak-9 career... My screen froze, had to leave the game (Steam)... When I restarted it, it was impossible to have access to my "careers", the screen would freeze again... all other options were fine (MP, Missions, QMB, scripted campaigns)... Had to do a fresh new install... this is now what I am doing, as I write this... Bummer. Shit happens, I guess...

I will contact you by personal email about this issue later.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, -IRRE-Biluf said:

bloom_enable = 0

If flips to 1 every time the graphic settings are modified.

Ah I see, thanks.

10 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I loved the cockpit reflect but I noticed that is a static reflection and nod a dynamic one(if you move the controls it doesn't snow in the reflection), still a great add-on

It is dynamic, it's delayed for a performance compromise I understand but not static.

I like this update really very much.

The Canopy refections look really nice. I changed from FXAA 4x to MSAA 2x and it looks nicer, also the Performance with my i7-8700k 1080Ti and the Reverb in VR is much better.

I like both Yak-9´s very much.

Thank you for the hard work, you are the best Dev Team.

• Upvote 1

Re the Yak-9: Here's my two cents.  The Yak series of fighters are my favorite fighter aircraft in the Great Battles series.  I like them for their ease to fly and honest handling characteristics.  They're a good gun platform, although with limited ammunition throw weight and load out.  I had high hopes for the Yak-9 in terms of performance and handling.  The first thing I did after installing the update was fly some missions with the Yak-9 Series 1.  Have to say I feel somewhat let down.  In terms of handling and performance it just seems like a Yak-7 (from which the Yak-9 was developed) with one less UB machine gun.  I was hoping for an "uber plane" along the lines of what I recall about the Yak-9 in the old IL-2 1946 game.  The last time I played 1946 was in 2011, but if I recall correctly the Yak-9 in that game was a Yak-9M which had improved performance over the Yak-9 Series 1 we have in Battle of Kuban.  I'm still glad to have the Yak-9 Series 1 in the game for variety and maybe with time I'll get to like it better.  Also, I haven't tried the Yak-9T yet.  It will be good to have a plane like that with a 37mm cannon as I don't do well with the LaGG-3 and P-39, the other VVS fighters mounting a 37mm cannon.  

Kameraden,

Only tested for one hour last evening, it looked amazing with MSAA.

S!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DD_Arthur said:

The MSAA and FXAA stuff?  When I first tried it out the game settings had defaulted to FXAA and performance was greatly improved but for me landscape graphics had 'changed'.

Restarted in MSAA and game looks fantastic and still receives a big, big performance boost.  Spotting definitely improved too!

I'm running in VR with an Occulus CV1, Nvidia RTX2070 and i7 3930k @4.6Ghz.  Would very much like to test more this morning but the sun is shining brightly and I'm under orders from the Boss to get the pool up!:wacko:

I'm having trouble setting up my CV1 for BOS. Most of the guides I find don't help for the CV1. If you have the time, would you mind posting your settings (including steamVR or OTT)? You could PM me if that's easier. Thanks.

Nice. I have everything pushed to max and performance is better. AC on ground contrast looks much better. With MSAA x4  and AA on extreme no perf hit and lines look crisp and straight,.

Reflections are nice. This is one of the better releases. I like it.👍

:salute:

skud

Well, I am going to be completely honest even if some people will not like it. 

I am running on a Dell laptop. Intel Core i7 6700HQ 2.6GHz base. 16GB RAM. Windows 10. Nvidia GTX960M 4GB GPU. 

I use High settings with the other options maxed in 1920x1080.

I was usually running 30-50fps depending on how much was going on and what I was looking at. Now I get 60-80fps and everything is much smoother. I got like 30-40fps boost using the same settings from before the update! Well, I did add the cockpit reflections. I think now I will start trying out higher settings and some more mods.

• Upvote 1

Thank you devs for bringing this update. My PC was struggling before but now it is able to get 50fps+ with a few dips to the 40 to 50 region. I use to get 25fps on ground and 45 in air in multiplayer. I am running on AMD fx6300, 8gb ram and 750TI FTW. The fps I get above is with the cockpit reflections on max. Overall this update is super and big thumbs up from me !

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

I have ground texture flickering when flying at very low level. Only below about 50 meters. It appears to be the seams of the ground texture tiles. Dark blob in grass ...

Flickering.png.ccb56d10c387c3918e399e9dc068a034.png

Graphics settings below, same issue in FXAA and MSAA.

Latest updated Radeon drivers.

Rift S VR with Opencomposite, not Steam VR.

No 3dMigoto or reshaders.

Rebooted game after settings change, everything else is functioning perfectly in 4.006.

System specs, Ryzen 7 3700x CPU,  MSI B450 MB, 32 GB DDR4 RAM, Radeon RX 5700 8GB GPU

Turn off grass in the start.config file. It looks like there is a texture issue with the grass itself judging by the picture.

start.cfg is found here

Spoiler

explorer_rd0aTDKbIq.png.84a3a7d02798abfce830172000a0cfc0.png

set grass distance to = 0

Spoiler

wordpad_W5NoZxvUtP.png.a6082a8728f54dea65ebccca85ee459e.png

2 hours ago, -IRRE-Biluf said:

Always this awful bloom setting, I had huge expectations about this for the new renderer :(

Please give us the ability to disable it in the game instead to always have to correct it in the startup.cfg file.

set bloom_enable to = 0

Spoiler

wordpad_22AJcA4wJA.png.d3614dd4c11184a33dca0674ad4b620a.png

Edited by Geronimo553
  • Sad 1

The Yak-9s look amazing inside and out. One of the best cockpits in the game. However, I noticed that only the default green skin is in the default skins menu. The rest of the skins are in the custom skins menu. I lined up 8 German bombers and tried to knock them off with the NS-37 in the Yak-9T. Maybe it is a placebo or my bad shooting and flying in excitement but I felt like I got better results with the LaGG-3 37mm. I will have to play with it much more. The new rendering looks great! The wet look is long gone. Honestly, I do not think people even need to adjust their skins. All of the custom skins I have tried look great. Unless someone is going for the wet mirror look then probably they will need to increase the brightness in their alpha. 

That Catney guy has done a bang-up badass job bringing the older planes back to life with the new 4k textures. The La-5s are looking really good. The attention to little details like random bumps and dents in the metal on the normal maps adds more realism. 

The new Soviet pilots look great as well. The changing of the uniforms depending on the time frame is a really nice touch.

2020_5_20__12_17_21.jpg

4 hours ago, blitze said:

A hearty thank you to the Devs for this update.  Like always they go above and beyond bringing many improvements to the core sim with each update, not just content.

To VR players who are upset over the lack of 3Dmigoto zoom - what you classify as "zoom" for 2D users is actually FOV changing.  It is designed to help players on small (by today's standards) monitors be able to get close to 1 to 1 scale and then at the same time, pull back their FOV to be able to get a decent idea of situational awareness.  The fact that this can be abused by folks setting themselves up in sim cockpits with 50+" 4K TV's well, an unfortunate fact of life.

In VR we have already 1 to 1 scale within our headsets FOV and even at 90 degrees, that is more than the average 2D monitor user.  We also get 2x zoom as a crutch to deal with the low res issues of early gen headsets.  Complaining about this and dummy spitting because you can not Id a plane at 2+kms out - I guess not every one can be placated.

For those wondering about FXAA vs MXAA and what the differences are, here is a good summery from Kotaku https://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/12/what-is-fxaa/

Just remember that in VR we have 3 methods - Super Sampling, FXAA and MSAA and there might be overlap between SS and the other methods based on what render targets you are driving through your headset in relation to its native screen resolution with SS.

Contract spotting and visibility for me is much improved and I would not have guessed a year ago that I would be able to drive my headset at the resolutions I do on Ultra Graphics settings.  By the way - take a summer camo schemed plane up on a cloudy Winter Map and fly through the clouds - look out over your wings - enjoy.

For those with issues, I hope they are resolved soon for you and as always, onwards and upwards for Il2.👍

All this seems reasonable but for some reason it just doesn't seem to work this way. I have the same experience as other multiplayers on VR (without 3Dmigoto), just tail chased a 109 for some time on Wings of Liberty peering avidly through the default IL2 zoom. Could only finally ID it as actually another (probably very annoyed) Spitfire at ~300m. Am using a Rift-S with SS 1.3, 2xFXAA which is about what my new-ish system can drive.

Not to say the new update isn't great for VR generally, it runs very well (and was already very cool before). I understand why the zoom mod was a problem if it worked in 2D as well and even stacked onto the default zoom. But until some kind of 3Dmigoto or otherwise extra zoom (or FOV changer) is available for VR multiplayers I am afraid we will be lurking and creeping up behind friendlies Mr Magoo-like until we practically chew off your rudder. Sorry for that in advance.

1 hour ago, -=-THERION said:

AND, it still looks very, very good. Especially on systems like mine, it is very good for the performance and spotting is better than before.

What other settings are you using to achieve this result? FXAA looks absolutely abysmal in comparison to MSAA, whole thing full of jaggies. I really do not see how FXAA looks pleasing. What did you mean by systems like yours? 

Regards

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bilbo_Baggins said:

What other settings are you using to achieve this result? FXAA looks absolutely abysmal in comparison to MSAA, whole thing full of jaggies. I really do not see how FXAA looks pleasing. What did you mean by systems like yours? 

Regards

See my signature then you'll understand.

My settings are ULTRA on 1920x1080 at 60hz. I'll make a screenshot of my settings later.

• Like 1