Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

7 minutes ago, Tipsi said:

just a note to those who are using ReShade: this will cause a CTD on startup, so make sure you remove / move your ReShade files somewhere till we can use it agai..

No issues so far with ReShade 4.6.1.

Yup, RX480 here with black shadow artifacts when really close to the ground.

That said, its perfectly fine high in the air, performance seems better and the frontend seems a lot snappier and more responsive.

Eagerly awaiting a hotfix!

22 minutes ago, Tbolt47 said:

I think it just comes on with the canopy reflections, that's all I've turned on and I've got instrument reflections. They are quite subtle though, so at least it does't make reading them difficult.

Yes, a bit too subtle, I would  like more intense. In some planes, especially 109 it seems like there is none. Please, more intensity.

For the rest, I love it!!! The canopy reflections in the plexiglass are awesome and the reflexion of the clouds in the water!!! Speechless.

I am very tempted to buy Collector Planes. I wish we had the Yak9, Yak9T and Hurricane in a bundle pack all for 30$. I could afford that.

Excellent update!

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-
9 hours ago, Sneaksie said:

MSAA is nicer in details but significantly slower.

Thanks Sneak, I knew that. My question was should we use ingame AA and FXAA/MSAA together. So lets say 2XAA and FXAA set to ON? Can you explain a bit deeper how the ingame AA and FXAA/MSAA works in relation to each other (regular AA in relation to FXAA on example).

17 minutes ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

This makes no sense to me; when using my crappy 27" 1080p monitor I can ID planes out to a couple thousand meters using native in-game zoom.

It's a FOV thing for 2D not "Zoom"

Maybe your Rift has settings issues or the screens are not that great.....

One should be able to Id without zoom at 500m

What Render Target Resolution are you running it at? 

Do you use AA?

My understanding is that it has a 1200 × 1080px per eye effective resolution from a 2160 × 1200px single display.

Have you tried running your target res at that native screen per eye resolution?

If not running at native resolution, maybe running at a factor of 2x your VR native resolution???

Just trying to help as you should be able to see better than sub 200m for Id-ing aircraft in VR without zoom in this sim.  I know that some SS target res factors that are not related to native res on my HMD can really screw up clarity of the device and make the visuals quite a blur and or washed out contrast and colour wise.

I am not familiar with the Oculus VR interface so I am not sure what you would go through to dial in your headset but I would assume you have control over per eye render targets through Super Sampling.

4 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Yes, a bit too subtle, I would  like more intense. In some planes, especially 109 it seems like there is none. Please, more intensity.

For the rest, I love it!!! The canopy reflections in the plexiglass are awesome and the reflexion of the clouds in the water!!! Speechless.

I am very tempted to buy Collector Planes. I wish we had the Yak9, Yak9T and Hurricane in a bundle pack all for 30$. I could afford that.

Excellent update!

Yes it doesn't give that glass like surface effect to the instruments, would be nice if it's a little stronger.

Great job, 10.3 GB! My blunder of buying Stalingrad on Steam paid off, I woke up to 4.006 ready to go on my Steam version, downloading the patch on the IL2 standalone now to keep both up to date..

18 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

Excellent update!

Please don't I find it a touch overstated to be honest. 

19 minutes ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Thanks Sneak, I knew that. My question was should we use ingame AA and FXAA/MSAA together. So lets say 2XAA and FXAA set to ON? Can you explain a bit deeper how the ingame AA and FXAA/MSAA works in relation to each other (regular AA in relation to FXAA on example).

I using MSAA + maximum AA together. Works without problems. Have 1080Ti.

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, driftaholic said:

Please don't I find it a touch overstated to be honest. 

We must be seeing different things then 🤔 To me it looks like the reflection is in the instruments rather than light on the surface of the glass and looks very subtle.

Wow... WOW!!! This is awesome... Maxed out settings on a GF1080, 4xAA and MSAA, it runs better then before on 1440p!!

Just gorgeous!

And... We have a g-meter in the HUD!!!!!!! Now that is something! As for the "folding wings" issue.. Wow. Just wow. It is now really dependent on where you hit to see different outcomes. This is a huge improvement.

I expected much, but this... Kudos to the devs, this is awesome. :good::salute:

• Upvote 1

Downloaded late last night with no problems. hamsters did a great job!:salute:

Did the usual thing after an update; log in online briefly then restart my pc.  Had no problems at all with mods or settings - all the same.  Flew online mission on our dogfight server and WOW!!! fantastic:biggrin:.

Performance in VR very much improved across the board in all aspects including spotting!  Very, very impressed!

• Upvote 1

I am also having huge issues after the update:

- heavy artifacting, squares all over the place, especially clouds and reflections with FXAA (MSAA solves most of it, but costs performance in comparison)

- ground flickering is present at low altitudes, independent of antialiasing choice

- winter scenario at WOL crashes DX11 renderer, complete freeze 😅

- I also had the impression, that with FXAA turned on, the game stutters (even with max FPS)

Hardware used:

Ryzen 7 1800x

Vega 64

Looking forward to trying the update later!

Re VR zoom - here was my fantastic idea which sadly received little attention. TLDR: everyone would get to zoom as much as they like, but with resolving power governed by physiological limitations. Beyond a certain zoom level things start to blur. It would level the playing field regarding ID of targets while continuing to look pretty on fancy monitors. 

Great job guys,

The game looks awesome, everything maxed out now, reflections on, just a slight hint of a stutter here and there,

but my system is 7 years old!

So i can't complain.

Just one question.......... if i'm on a server with technochat enabled, i can't seem to turn it off unless i turn off the entire HUD, then i loose all the chat messages and server messages as well,

Is there anyway to get around this, or am i forced to have it on?

I'm not to bothered about having a compass( the planes are fitted with them!), or seeing the " xxx has connected "  " xxx has fired on a friendly " messages, but the chat and server messages are crucial for multiplay,

Just need an over-ride for those of us who want to turn off the technochat  even if its enabled...

Thanks alot...

Keep up the good work!

• Upvote 2

Got reports that the server now forces tech chat options on for people who have disabled them in their clients. I was expecting this to be done with a bit more finesse. That is, the server sets if clients can use the tech chat or not, not that it forces the setting on for people who want to fly with tech chat off.

Anyway, to have this tech chat option is good.

• Upvote 7
35 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

With the new update the game feels smoother framerate wise. (Using FXAA)

Nice!

Indeed - having the same system more or less (GTX 970?) I can confirm the game runs much smoother than before. Even with cockpit reflection,

although set to normal, it is very smooth. I tested this in QMB on the Rhineland map and did a quick test on Combat Box with ~70 users.

It seems that the new render technology improves not only the visual appearance but also the performance in general. Thank you very much for

this huge improvement. Well done.

On the other hand I feel sorry for Radeon users having some serious issues with the new technology. Let's hope this gets fixed very soon. The

only thing I'm wondering though is, why testers didn't have any issues, assuming that there are not only testers from the NVIDIA liege?

Wish you all a very nice day.

Cheerio

• Like 1

I take it back about the instrument reflections. Now using it under different lighting conditions I find them quite good, giving an effect without getting in the way. And the Yak-9 is awesome!

44 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

with old  or  new visibility in options?

The MSAA and FXAA stuff?  When I first tried it out the game settings had defaulted to FXAA and performance was greatly improved but for me landscape graphics had 'changed'.

Restarted in MSAA and game looks fantastic and still receives a big, big performance boost.  Spotting definitely improved too!

I'm running in VR with an Occulus CV1, Nvidia RTX2070 and i7 3930k @4.6Ghz.  Would very much like to test more this morning but the sun is shining brightly and I'm under orders from the Boss to get the pool up!:wacko:

• Like 1

Sorry to hear that some people are having problems with the new update. That being said for me I’ve had no problems whatsoever and things are running smooth at 60 fps at default high settings even with my somewhat dated HW (i7 3.4 Ghz & GTX 660).

I decided to install pure vanilla with no third part additions since I’m assuming that is what they did the verification testing with and that did the trick for me anyway. I did tick the Vsync and 4K graphic setting options though as per the old recommendations but I don’t know if those are still valid?

In addition to the outstanding new rendering, I absolutely love the new g-meter in the HUD: IMHO it only adds realism since that important input for maintaining e and avoiding blacking out IRL is provided by the seat-of-the-pants feedback which is obviously difficult to get other than by visual means sitting in an office chair…..

You guys just keep on delivering and exceeding expectations! Big thanks to the development team and hope you get some well-earned rest now!:clapping:

Edited by Holtzauge
10 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

but the sun is shining brightly and I'm under orders from the Boss to get the pool up!:wacko:

Oh no! Poor fellow, you have a pool? I really feel very sorry for you. Owning a pool is very hard... and I thought slavery and such old fashioned

items were things of the past...

9 minutes ago, Holtzauge said:

I did tick the Vsync and 4K graphic setting options though as per the old recommendations but I don’t know if those are still valid?

Definitely! Very important and I'd even suggest to tick the Fullscreen option as well.

Edited by -=-THERION
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Avimimus said:

The weird flickering reduced immersion - but for me the game breaking thing is the flickering of shadows when flying at low altitude (including this weird thing where the ground itself blinks. So, I'll have to wait for a fix before exploring the patch more. I'll be happy so long as a patch comes eventually though (otherwise it would be unplayable for ground attack)!

Switching to MSAA and turning normal AA off didn't help. Although the squares seemed to get a bit smaller with MSAA they were still there, and the ground flickering problem remained or got worse!

Also, I noticed that - out of all the Russian aircraft - the only one where the pilot doesn't have a pistol is the U-2VS... is this intended or an oversight?

Anyway, it looks like it'll be a great patch!

I'm also getting weird flickering at low altitude.  Actually, I flew through a valley in Kuban looking at the new water and the mountains around me started to change shape at the tops.  Also the ground would darken very weirdly like the shadows were screwed up.  I noticed if you look at the water through your front screen it appears blue and looks green when you look to either side.  Not sure if this is suppose to be that way.  I also had my whole screen go black a few times just for a moment.  I noticed when looking out my side windscreen the road beside me was appearing and disappearing, changing from road to grass to road.  Also the tanks in tank crew now appear to be floating about 6 inches off the ground.  lol.

The reflections on the canopy and the plane look outstanding!  I have noticed no reduction in FPS at all with all graphic options cranked including reflections I'm still bobbing off of 140 frames in 2k.  Great job by the devs.   It's just the weird ground anomalies that are now happening.

Very happy about the P38 campaign.

I'm sure the graphic problems will get sorted out.

Intel 9700k, Asus 2080ti, 32gb DDR4, SSD

Edited by Nightstalker

I ama  bit disappointed because the SU152 and the Ferdinand doesn't come together in the same patch. But this is a big thing and still a lot to celebrate! I am super curios about the tank duel game mode and changing in the tank controls. As soon as my client  finishing the download I will review the news on my YouTube Channel! Thank you very much indeed!

21 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

Oh no! Poor fellow, you have a pool? I really feel very sorry for you. Owning a pool is very hard... and I thought slavery and such old fashioned

items were things of the past...

Lol.  Yeah, it would be very nice to have a real pool.  The clue is 'get the pool up'.  Wheres my foot pump gone?:scratch_one-s_head:

2 hours ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

You have either FXAA or MSAA to choose from.  It will be one or the other in your graphics settings.  If you have AA at 2x or 4x it will apply which ever technique you have selected.  If it is at 0x then AA will not be applied.  They (FXAA/MSAA) do not work together.

Be sure to have AA settings in Graphics Card Settings (nvpanel / amd control panel) set to Application Controlled.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
51 minutes ago, Holtzauge said:

Sorry to hear that some people are having problems with the new update. That being said for me I’ve had no problems whatsoever and things are running smooth at 60 fps at default high settings even with my somewhat dated HW (i7 3.4 Ghz & GTX 660).

I decided to install pure vanilla with no third part additions since I’m assuming that is what they did the verification testing with and that did the trick for me anyway. I did tick the Vsync and 4K graphic setting options though as per the old recommendations but I don’t know if those are still valid?

In addition to the outstanding new rendering, I absolutely love the new g-meter in the HUD: IMHO it only adds realism since that important input for maintaining e and avoiding blacking out IRL is provided by the seat-of-the-pants feedback which is obviously difficult to get other than by visual means sitting in an office chair…..

You guys just keep on delivering and exceeding expectations! Big thanks to the development team and hope you get some well-earned rest now!:clapping:

Be sure to turn off 4k textures. Far more planes have 4k textures now and your video card will need a minimum of 4gb of video game to process it. A 660 will not have enough video ram.

• Thanks 1

No AA, FXAA and MSAA compared in VR.

Note on the final pic (the first test I did) that there is no difference in FXAA image quality when moving the slider from 2 to 4. Best place to look on that one is the railings near the tail.

For better viewing, right click > open in new window then use your browser zoom to enlarge.

2000m Stalingrad Winter, Me262 left Bf109G-14 right

lfwPlUy.gif

7000m Rhineland Summer, Fw190D-9 left, Bf109K-4 right

DjaiYg4.gif

BZtIZ5H.gif

Edited by Talon_
  • Like 6
  • Han unpinned this topic