Han

Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

I'm running an HD7800... and thanks for maintaining support. I can wait a week or two if necessary (even if others will gripe).

I hope you guys get some sleep to be honest! Also, the flickering black ground seems related to the high detail grass... so if I stay high up or over water the game actually is a bit playable.

Suggest to bring back to techno chat/handling tips option on the Basic Option. Cuz the handling tips governed by the server is kinda annoying and its uncomfortable to the players that the tips spamming to their chat box. I know it is useful for some players but let the player/user pick of what option they're comfortable with.

Edited by Cookie-Monster
  • Upvote 1

Tried to start a Yak-9 career... My screen froze, had to leave the game (Steam)... When I restarted it, it was impossible to have access to my "careers", the screen would freeze again... all other options were fine (MP, Missions, QMB, scripted campaigns)... Had to do a fresh new install... this is now what I am doing, as I write this... Bummer. Shit happens, I guess...

Edited by Cleo9
  • Thanks 1

pencon said:

So how do I back up  data files before the patch install ? I have the   il2 website version .

Copy and Paste the 'data' folder inside your main game folder and any other folders/files important to you into a folder you make on your desktop ("4005 Backups"). 

Then after updating if you are having issues Copy the new 'data' folder onto a second folder on your desktop ("New 4006") and install the backup(s). 

If it solves your problems, Bueno!

If not you can re-install the folders/files from your 4006 folder.

I do this with every update.  So far the backups have been unnecessary.  (Murphy's Law; since you made backups you won't need them.  If you don't, you will).

If you use MODS, unload your JSGME prior to updating in case some may not work, like the 3dmigoto mod.

Edited by Beebop
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WheelwrightPL said:

Weird, I didn't notice any VR improvement (I have HP Reverb and 2080Ti and still cannot get a smooth 90fps experience without turning-on reprojection which introduces graphical errors).

The performance increase is with FXAA, at a lesser visual quality,  if you have MSAA performance I think is about the same as before but with  reflections on, if you turn off reflections you get an increase with MSAA.

I also run an HP reverb with a 2080Ti

Edited by SCG_motoadve

To the guy having trouble with the installer, reboot and run it again, it should figure out what files it already downloaded.  Had two install failures, it downloaded everything ok, but failed in the red line install, until a reboot was done. 

26 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Thanks for the reports. We appreciate it.

For those of you reporting issues with a Radeon card.

1. Not one beta tester complained about this so it's news to us unfortunately.

2. Not one of the team had this issue on any machine they are using while working from home. We do have a 580 in the office, but I don't know if it went home with anyone. We have a few machines in the office that are purely for testing.

3. As always we will look for a fix as fast as possible.

This is a major update for us, so issues like this are to be expected even if frustrating for some. It's part of the process unfortunately. The guys stayed up late to get it out the door tonight so they would have 3 days available for Hotfixes instead of 2 which is the norm.

Considering we have become a "virtual office" literally overnight a few short weeks ago, we are pleased issues are minimal and not catastrophic across the board. Could be a lot worse trust me.

Just have patience guys. And I did remind folks that you could make a backup, which if you did would have at least allowed you to play some SP without logging in. Just an option for future updates.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I know this is a huge patch and I have no problem waiting for the hotfix. I do have one more thing to report though, which is that while most of the flickering is gone when I switch to MSAA, MSAA has flickering on the ground when I get below about 100 meters. I also get occasional stutters and a drop in framerate but I think that's due my hardware not being able to handle MSAA.

In case it helps with reproducing and debugging, here's a list of my hardware specs:

CPU: i5-7500

Graphics card: AMD RX 470

RAM: 16 GB DDR 4

• Upvote 1

For me as a single-player the most welcome !!!  and indispensable points/corrected features within the very long list:

75. Tank AI gunner no longer try to fire at flying targets;

Aircraft AI
79. The firing accuracy at air and ground targets depends on the AI pilot level;

These are very important steps into the right direction; THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!! for further improving and correcting the sometimes pretty strange behaviour of IL-2's AI aircrafts and ground units.

It makes me really happy  🤩 .

All the very best for all of you, dear developers.

Great up date.  I do have one issue techno/chat, how do you get it not to show up in messaging?

Sorry if this has been asked and answered earlier but I have not been able to find it.

Thanks

Edited by Taxman
Added text

2 hours ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I loved the cockpit reflect but I noticed that is a static reflection and nod a dynamic one(if you move the controls it doesn't snow in the reflection), still a great add-on

Maybe control levers aren't part of the dynamic reflection, but the instrument needles should be. They update each 3 seconds or so.

Switching to fxaa gives great performance... but now I cannot make out contacts until at least within 500m

Edited by [APAF]spartan85
  • Upvote 1

after 30 minutes, all downloaded, installing, almost to end then boom = "Failed to Update"  

=====================

I thought I gave an update.. so a few minutes after it failed to updated I had to reboot because the computer froze,, the only issue I could see was my Norton AV didn't like the IL2.exe file.. so I made an exemption for the file and install. Been flying IL-2 for 2 years, and usually no issues,,, but this time saw il-2.exe as a threat.

Edited by AKA_Ramstein

The ray-traced canopy reflections plus the performance bump in this patch make it just a dream for VR. I know the pandemic has put a dampener on trade shows and things, but next time there's a flight sim expo, here's the recipe:

• Fancy PC with 5ghz CPU and an RTX 2080ti.
  • Fancy VR headset with wide FOV such as Pimax 8KX.
  • Crank the graphics options in-game, but make sure the demo runs at native refresh of the headset (maybe High instead of Ultra on some settings)
  • Attach one of those DOFReality 6DOF platforms.
  • Attach a bunch of Virpil controllers.
  • Let people play the P-38 campaign.

Result? A whole bunch of flight sim nerds yelling "shut up and take my money!"

Really. It's that good. This just blows everything else away.

Damn. I'm loving this and I'm playing on a narrow FOV headset with crummy speakers, the Rift-S.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, AKA_Ramstein said:

after 30 minutes, all downloaded, installing, almost to end then boom = "Failed to Update"  

welcome to my world...

6 hours ago, Raven109 said:

Did you try to check the integrity of the files via steam?

This should be stickied at the top of the thread, for attention of all Steam users.

2364 files failed their check. Reacquired - everything works. First time Steam did not work first time for me, so I had got lazy about checking this.

Whoops - I see that it is, in Sneaksie's recommended post!  

Edited by unreasonable

Hello, update is awesome for the most part but one minor issue that has unfortunately made me not able to play online. The change from tool-tips being client-side to server-side is neat, however there being no option to force them off on my end (like how you can force off the instrument panel) means Im getting a splitting headache from all the flashing green lights as I try to play. 

I really love the game and have bought (on steam mostly) and played every expansion so far and pre-ordered the others. But please, for me and for everyone who likes full-immersion, let us force the tips off without disabling the hud entirely (on multiplayer its practically essential).

Cheers!

Edited by [1/KG]SpysAreAMyth

Didn't realize the thread was open again... I really like the update, awesome work...! but technochat options caught me off guard since I have to change the way I use IL2 online now in multiplayer. 

I really like the update, and I'm all for having the SDS option; however without the technochat basic options that use to be found in the dropdown menu of basic options for user level changes that could be done in game in multiplayer, now I have hit "H" to hide everything if I don't want to see technochat on a server that has it enabled.... tested it tonight with the squad. I posted under suggestions. So all technochat or none if I need to read subtitle messages for a mission... I don't want to stop anyone from having technochat, but I don't want to be forced to see it if I don't want too... wasn't and issue until now. 

Thanks, keep up the great work... always impressed. :)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, WWDriftwood said:

Didn't realize the thread was open again... I really like the update, awesome work...! but technochat options caught me off guard since I have to change the way I use IL2 online now in multiplayer. 

I really like the update, and I'm all for having the SDS option; however without the technochat basic options that use to be found in the dropdown menu of basic options for user level changes that could be done in game in multiplayer, now I have hit "H" to hide everything if I don't want to see technochat on a server that has it enabled.... tested it tonight with the squad. I posted under suggestions. So all technochat or none if I need to read subtitle messages for a mission... I don't want to stop anyone from having technochat, but I don't want to be forced to see it if I don't want too... wasn't and issue until now. 

Thanks, keep up the great work... always impressed. :)

I support this.
There should be 2 option regarding techno chat option
1 for the master server and 1 for the users/player
If the server put the techno chat off on the map (tech chat and handling tips). The user is forced but to rely avionics over the cockpit even he turn on the techno chat on the Basic Option
If the server put the techno chat on on the map(tech chats and handling tips/tech chats only). The user must decide if he should turn off or turn on the techno chat on the Basic Option

Edited by Cookie-Monster
  • Like 1

I thought we would have to pay for Lightning Strike, so many thanks to Jaegermeister and the developers for making it available for free.

I like the idea to officially add well done campaigns created by the community. If the download numbers of my own campaigns are an indication, less than 1 percent of people owning the game will ever download user-made campaigns. So adding some of them in official updates seems to be a good idea.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

Well done on the graphics working very well with my system... have every setting to the maximum on MSAA mode, fantastic. I can spot a little bit better now as well.

Gaming System:

• CPU: Intel Core i9-9800k @ 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz o/c)
  • GPU: NVIDA Geforce RTX 2080 Super 8 GB GDDR6
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
  • Motherboard: MSI Z390I Gaming Edge AC
  • Monitor: ASUS VG27B @ 165Hz

Cheers,

Mad

So got in to do some quick mission flying.

First Thank you for making the quick mission settings sticky! That is so very nice, especially if you fly specific planes.

Loading and log-in times are down all across the board and it's wonderful.

The damage modeling updates on the WWI era birds are very nice. (I did end up losing a wing, from colliding with another airplane, and had just enough control to skid the plane in. It was epic.

VR is also now giving me a consistent 60 fps now, with detail set to Ultra, view distance set to max, and pretty much everything dialed all the way up except reflections, shadows and FXAA, on a Ryzen 3800X and a 1080 Ti on a HP Reverb, and it is absolutely glorious.

the Yak-9 is a surprisingly fun little aircraft, that did not take much time at all to find the right gauges on.

I'll need to get up a few very long campaign flights and see if it stays stable when I've been in the air for a few hours, but overall, this patch has been fantastic for me.

And for single player mode, I really like the ability to turn down the tech chat and suggestions if I want to, without having to turn off everything.

Glad I have the 2080ti instead of the Radeon . I have Zero issues ,  everything works perfect . I forgot to back up my folder but I lucked out , no   control settings lost .

First of all thank you really much for the Update! Even with my quick test flight of the Yaks it looks superb 😄 Also the new shading is nicely done.
Sadly I'm also part of the Rhadeon faction wich gets those black circle things when close on the ground (didn't tried FXAA yet). But as i can see there are already efforts to fix this, so thank you really much :) With the new stuff enabled my FPS dropped a little bit and now I'm at more ore less constant 70 fps. This will need further stress test to see if it stays there with a lot of planes and ground objects^^

Absolutely remarkable. All installed, including the Yak-9, and up and running. So far so good. Many thanks to all involved.  🏆

Thanks a lot for the accelerometer!!!!! 

It's very interesting, but it well also finally end up a lot of conspiracies discussion.

• Upvote 1

Bad flickering right after update.

Graphics was great before.

I've tried changing things randomly, not helping.

Game unplayable now

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Exec01

2020_5_20__6_8_52.jpg

Another vote here for allowing the player to turn the Flying Tips on or off.  The Tech info about my throttle settings flaps/gear etc. is fine but....

I don't like the Tips as it makes me feel like I haven't yet been allowed to fly solo, like the instructor is sitting there behind me (or next to me in some aircraft),  telling me things I either already know or, since this is a game, things I'll learn much better if I make mistakes.  Instead of learning about the effects of wing loading and compression during a dive some Dillweed instructor is telling you your going too fast and to pull out gently. 🙄

You learn so much more from your mistakes than you do from being told what to do.

I have never minded if the server allows or doesn't allow HUD etc.  It's their server and if I don't like it I don't have to fly on it now do I?

2 kopecks from me.

Edited by Beebop

10 minutes ago, JG300_Faucon said:

Thanks a lot for the accelerometer!!!!! 

It's very interesting, but it well also finally end up a lot of conspiracies discussion.

LOL, it took me 20 minutes to work out what that new thing on the HUD is...

A hearty thank you to the Devs for this update.  Like always they go above and beyond bringing many improvements to the core sim with each update, not just content.

To VR players who are upset over the lack of 3Dmigoto zoom - what you classify as "zoom" for 2D users is actually FOV changing.  It is designed to help players on small (by today's standards) monitors be able to get close to 1 to 1 scale and then at the same time, pull back their FOV to be able to get a decent idea of situational awareness.  The fact that this can be abused by folks setting themselves up in sim cockpits with 50+" 4K TV's well, an unfortunate fact of life.

In VR we have already 1 to 1 scale within our headsets FOV and even at 90 degrees, that is more than the average 2D monitor user.  We also get 2x zoom as a crutch to deal with the low res issues of early gen headsets.  Complaining about this and dummy spitting because you can not Id a plane at 2+kms out - I guess not every one can be placated.

For those wondering about FXAA vs MXAA and what the differences are, here is a good summery from Kotaku https://www.kotaku.com.au/2011/12/what-is-fxaa/

Just remember that in VR we have 3 methods - Super Sampling, FXAA and MSAA and there might be overlap between SS and the other methods based on what render targets you are driving through your headset in relation to its native screen resolution with SS.

Contract spotting and visibility for me is much improved and I would not have guessed a year ago that I would be able to drive my headset at the resolutions I do on Ultra Graphics settings.  By the way - take a summer camo schemed plane up on a cloudy Winter Map and fly through the clouds - look out over your wings - enjoy.

For those with issues, I hope they are resolved soon for you and as always, onwards and upwards for Il2.👍

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

Can anyone comment on the long distance spotting aspect of the game with the new deferred shading?

7 hours ago, flyingfisch said:

MSAA was giving me stutters and low framerates so I switched back to FXAA. Here's what happens with FXAA:

GPU?

8 hours ago, PB0_Foxy said:

Found a weird bug with the K4 gunsight in stowed position (I'm playing in VR)

2020_5_19__22_34_15.thumb.jpg.91bbccacff59b76e49e5be80f00b8929.jpg

thanks, the sight holder remains in place.

A Flying Circus Pilot's Perspective:

So far, I can't find a single fault with the new update. Loving it all round, and was met with one very nice surprise in that the new aircraft rendering / shine / what-have-you makes aircraft easier to spot in FC - something that's been a bit of a nagging problem for me and my wingmen before! It also looks GREAT when you see the doped canvas flashing in the sun as an aircraft rolls. 

The new Flying Circus DMs are also a great improvement over 4.005. Me and a buddy did about 3 hours solid testing of the new DM and we liked what we saw. Although this is only an initial early opinion, and it's worth giving the new WW1 DMs time to breathe and settle in, I'd say that the (or at least my)  ideal Flying Circus DM (in regards to both gameplay and historical anecdotes) lies somewhere in between 4.006 and pre-4.005, and that 4.006 is definitely a great big step in the right direction. I would be thrilled if the Devs kept an eye on some of the discussions that follow in the FC thread within the next few weeks! 

The only things I noticed that I wasn't sure about, and may possibly be bugs (I'm not sure), is that the Pfalz D.III can pull 10 G (!) coming out of a dive, and that on two occasions we saw an aircraft's engine catch fire and very quickly go out, with no apparent damage to the engine. 

All in all, a fantastic update! Can't wait for more! 

Edited by US93_Larner
  • Upvote 1

No problems noted yet for me on the update, all worked flawlessly. I'm running through Steam. Looks like a great update.

Nice update! Thanks.

Its a shame that the enemy AI shooting skills were not improved or reverted to 4.004 patch. Unless you flight straight for some time enemy AI (ACE) cant shoot at you.

I cant see any instrument reflection. I tried from every angle. Is there a game options somewhere in the options menu like for the canopy?

just a note to those who are using ReShade: this will cause a CTD on startup, so make sure you remove / move your ReShade files somewhere till we can use it agai..

Edited by Tipsi
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, blitze said:

To VR players who are upset over the lack of 3Dmigoto zoom - what you classify as "zoom" for 2D users is actually FOV changing.  It is designed to help players on small (by today's standards) monitors be able to get close to 1 to 1 scale and then at the same time, pull back their FOV to be able to get a decent idea of situational awareness.  The fact that this can be abused by folks setting themselves up in sim cockpits with 50+" 4K TV's well, an unfortunate fact of life.

In VR we have already 1 to 1 scale within our headsets FOV and even at 90 degrees, that is more than the average 2D monitor user.  We also get 2x zoom as a crutch to deal with the low res issues of early gen headsets.  Complaining about this and dummy spitting because you can not Id a plane at 2+kms out - I guess not every one can be placated.

This makes no sense to me; when using my crappy 27" 1080p monitor I can ID planes out to a couple thousand meters using native in-game zoom. Conversely, when using native game zoom in VR I can't ID a plane until I'm within 100-200m. Sometimes if the angle is right, I have to get within 50m to ID. 

It's not a spotting issue; in my low res Rift I can sometimes spot planes 25km away WITHOUT zoom if the conditions are right. It's a plane ID issue. 

• Upvote 6

10 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Nice update! Thanks.

Its a shame that the enemy AI shooting skills were not improved or reverted to 4.004 patch. Unless you flight straight for some time enemy AI (ACE) cant shoot at you.

I cant see any instrument reflection. I tried from every angle. Is there a game options somewhere in the options menu like for the canopy?

I think it just comes on with the canopy reflections, that's all I've turned on and I've got instrument reflections. They are quite subtle though, so at least it does't make reading them difficult.

Edited by Tbolt47
  • Upvote 1