Han

Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

24 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

This update is INSANELY GOOD.

I've just flown multiplayer dogfight on the CB training server, with probably a dozen planes in close proximity. CPU frame time averaging 7-8ms, spikes to 10ms only. The GPU was also doing well, averaging 10-11ms. Any frame drops were GPU, not CPU.

This patch is a godsend for VR performance. This is the one, folks. Get ready for reliable 80 or 90hz performance on multiplayer missions in heavy dogfights. Get ready for the 3000-series NVidia cards, because the game is going to be able to take advantage of them. I think we need to do more testing, but at the moment I believe IL2 has moved to "GPU bound" instead of CPU bound, and the effect is amazing.

And I haven't even talked about the canopy reflections. In VR they are AMAZING.

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

Subscribing any single word. That’s a huge improvement for VR users, thanks a lot!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dburne said:

I believe FXAA is post processing, and not as large a hit on performance as MSAA.

I would try MSAA first and if performance good add some FXAA and see what ya think.

Or just play around with it and have fun!

Yes - FXAA is basically a gentle blur all over the image. All it does is look at the pixels, so it's very fast to run and it's just an extra shader. MSAA does much more work but produces a much better result.

Having said that, we now have about 3 different "types" of AA, all of which will interact with each other in some way and have different performance impacts. AA-level (0-4x), FXAA or MSAA, and then supersampling (for VR users). I just picked FXAA 2x + Pixel Density 1.1 basically at random. Performance and picture quality were both excellent on the Rift S, but I'm sure folks in the VR forum will do some serious testing. We still have Chili's Remagen benchmark that we can use, should be very interesting now that GPU speed is a bigger factor.

My delidding kit just arrived. I think I might hold off voiding the warranty on my 8086K if these early results hold true.

30 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

This update is INSANELY GOOD.

I've just flown multiplayer dogfight on the CB training server, with probably a dozen planes in close proximity. CPU frame time averaging 7-8ms, spikes to 10ms only. The GPU was also doing well, averaging 10-11ms. Any frame drops were GPU, not CPU.

This patch is a godsend for VR performance. This is the one, folks. Get ready for reliable 80 or 90hz performance on multiplayer missions in heavy dogfights. Get ready for the 3000-series NVidia cards, because the game is going to be able to take advantage of them. I think we need to do more testing, but at the moment I believe IL2 has moved to "GPU bound" instead of CPU bound, and the effect is amazing.

And I haven't even talked about the canopy reflections. In VR they are AMAZING.

AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

Nice to know. Just sags that this whole VR zoom debacle has made it to where I won't be playing anymore until a fix is worked out. I'm assuming old 3d Migoto versions are busted with new shaders and without it I can't even ID a plane until it's below my convergence distance. VR has been supported for YEARS but no increase in native VR zoom has been implemented to remedy this problem? Sad.

• Upvote 2

My game is downloading one electron at a time, LOL.

Anybody notice yet...can we specify which pilot will fly the plane in QMB? Like can a US or Brit guy fly the P-40?

VR is AMAZING now! So, so, so much better. I can pick out a fighter I am tracking from above against a cluttered city background with no problems at all.

Thanks fellers for this. It broke my recorded tracks and 3dmigoto doesn't work any more, but I don't give a hoot. This is what I always wanted.

One very happy customer here. :biggrin:

1 hour ago, pfrances said:

Holy hell! Did miss the part that we were to expect all these campaigns or was it a surprise to all? At any rate, Holy Hell!

No point getting everyone worked up too soon... 😁

4 minutes ago, Vortice said:

VR is AMAZING now! So, so, so much better. I can pick out a fighter I am tracking from above against a cluttered city background with no problems at all.

Thanks fellers for this. It broke my recorded tracks and 3dmigoto doesn't work any more, but I don't give a hoot. This is what I always wanted.

From what I hear 3DMigoto will have to be updated. Sneaksie mentioned above.

Edited by Jaegermeister

5 minutes ago, Vortice said:

Sheeze, all sounding so good!

OK I am off to retire for the night, big day tomorrow!

So much goodness, so little time...

8 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

No point getting everyone worked up too soon... 😁

From what I hear 3DMigoto will have to be updated. I think it was mentioned here?

Don't need it now. Default VR zoom works fine in QMB against five 109s. Although I did have two to deal with at the same time at one point. Not sure if that's a bug or a feature, but they died anyway so I don't really care.

No ghosting either BTW. Everything is as sharp as you could wish for.

Edited by Vortice
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson said:

Nice to know. Just sags that this whole VR zoom debacle has made it to where I won't be playing anymore until a fix is worked out.

Honestly, give the game a chance. It's still the same great game you know and love. And if you have Bodenplatte and the P-38, there's a 25 mission custom campaign that should be really fun. I'm probably going to spend this evening doing that and cranking my graphics to the max and just gawking at the scenery.

It's really really good. Like, really good.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, dburne said:

I believe FXAA is post processing, and not as large a hit on performance as MSAA.

I would try MSAA first and if performance good add some FXAA and see what ya think.

Or just play around with it and have fun!

Thanks. I’ll look over the options and see what works best. Appreciate the help.

I’m so glad to hear about the increase in VR performance! This is the patch I’ve been waiting for for ages!

always thought my 2080ti was under utilised meanwhile the CPU was getting hammered.. Just patching and I’ll have a blast tomorrow! 
thanks devs 

9 minutes ago, Alonzo said:

Honestly, give the game a chance. It's still the same great game you know and love. And if you have Bodenplatte and the P-38, there's a 25 mission custom campaign that should be really fun. I'm probably going to spend this evening doing that and cranking my graphics to the max and just gawking at the scenery.

It's really really good. Like, really good.

I'm an MP only player these days. Experience is busted for me at this juncture. I have absolutely zero interest in SP at all. I am hoping the new shading makes a difference for ability to ID with the low tier VR zoom scale

Edited by II./SG.1-MarkWilhelmsson
  • Upvote 1

Some quotes from various Discords that I'm on:

"Easily hitting 100 FPS at 1440p now."

"I used to struggle on airfields, and anywhere near the ground in particular, now I´m at 102 on the airfield."

"I don’t suffer reprojections anymore and this is a huge gameplay boost...thanks god!"

"I used to get about 100fps now I'm getting 130 consistently."

"Performance smooth in single player, way better than before!!!" (from an AMD FX user)

"I'm getting 120 fps at the airfield on the main server...  huge improvement."

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, MattS said:

Anybody notice yet...can we specify which pilot will fly the plane in QMB? Like can a US or Brit guy fly the P-40?

No, it's predetermined by the map.

• Thanks 1

Bought game from here, not Steam.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700.

GPU: Radeon RX 580 8 gb RAM, latest drivers, NO additional settings, (override application settings, extra AA etc.

MODS off.

Second screenshot only with canopy open.

Every plane so far.  (Haven't tested FC)

Set game graphics from FXAA to MSAA.

Set overall graphics setting all the way down to low.

Restarted computer.

Here is what I'm seeing...WHY?

Is this fixable?

Anomoly 1.jpg

Anomoly 2.jpg

Edited by Beebop
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Retrofly said:

Can confirm, removing reshade stopped the game from crashing when starting a mission.

S! @Retrofly, can't find my initial file of reshade...

Can you tell me what file did you remove for the game to work?

Sorry for the request, but can't find the original file from reshade.

thx

10 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Bought game from here, not Steam.

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700.

GPU: Radeon RX 580, latest drivers, NO additional settings, (override application settings, extra AA etc.

Set game graphics from FXAA to MSAA. 

Set overall graphics setting all the way down to low.

Restarted computer.

Here is what I'm seeing...WHY?

Is this fixable?

Anomoly 1.jpg

Anomoly 2.jpg

Possibly an issue with Radeon cards? Not sure how Radeon controls it but is there a way to set the GPU setting to 'use application setting' or something similar, rather than applying none?

43. A message about servicing the engine oil system or cooling system in the repair area is added to the technochat. The service is performed if the engine oil or coolant have cooled down significantly during the aircraft stop (previously in these cases the player periodically received information about the repairing of the corresponding system, which wasn't really clear);

So.. We can repair oil and coolant system damage? I never knew that.. How can we do that?

Amazing update!

Are the binoculars for TC still to be released or did I miss it?

Carrer for Flying Circus on the way?

3 minutes ago, 1stCL/rudidlo said:

I'm getting this weird flickering after applying the update

I’m getting this too. I got rid of the weird blocky stuff all over the screen by turning on MSAA (turning off AA altogether doesn’t help, so not sure FXAA is the problem).

Now this black flickering on the terrain is happening. 

1 hour ago, =VARP=Tvrdi said:

Im using 2xAA and FXAA. Are we supposed to combine them for better visiblity or not?

This is what I'm wondering how it'll affect plane spotting?

7 minutes ago, mrjp990 said:

So.. We can repair oil and coolant system damage? I never knew that.. How can we do that?

If the mission is setup for ityou can use the Repair and Rearm feature introduced a few patches ago. There is a designated area that you taxi your plane to, where it is repaired, refueled and rearmed if you press the button (can't remember the default keybind)

17 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

If the mission is setup for ityou can use the Repair and Rearm feature introduced a few patches ago. There is a designated area that you taxi your plane to, where it is repaired, refueled and rearmed if you press the button (can't remember the default keybind)

Oh, so its pointless in career mode.. Gotcha

The flickering of doom has rendered the game unplayable with no AA or FXAA (RX-480). MSAA is a bit better but still have graphic corruptions (pic related).

That said FPS is through the roof!

20200519205848_1.jpg

Not a pretty sight!!!!  This was with Default - High graphics settings.  Changed FXAA to MSAA as suggested resolved flickering squares.  Still some ground texture/grass flickering going on.  Why should I have to change the antialiasing method for Deferred Shading?

8E895E32-0CAE-4DCB-91CE-C83CB2AD6FE2.jpeg

42 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Not sure how Radeon controls it but is there a way to set the GPU setting to 'use application setting' or something similar, rather than applying none?

I have all settings off.  Several say "Use application settings".  Basically I am using the most generic version of the card allowed.

Sneaksie posted:

"If you have Radeon, we'll try to find a solution to the squares of doom problem, for now please try different AA method or no AA at all."

So no one on the testing team uses Radeon cards?  Shouldn't those cards be tested too before release?  Especially with a new (improved?) rendering engine?

Edited by Beebop
  • Upvote 1

The weird flickering reduced immersion - but for me the game breaking thing is the flickering of shadows when flying at low altitude (including this weird thing where the ground itself blinks. So, I'll have to wait for a fix before exploring the patch more. I'll be happy so long as a patch comes eventually though (otherwise it would be unplayable for ground attack)!

Switching to MSAA and turning normal AA off didn't help. Although the squares seemed to get a bit smaller with MSAA they were still there, and the ground flickering problem remained or got worse!

Also, I noticed that - out of all the Russian aircraft - the only one where the pilot doesn't have a pistol is the U-2VS... is this intended or an oversight?

Anyway, it looks like it'll be a great patch!

Edited by Avimimus
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 352ndOscar said:

Not a pretty sight!!!!  This was with Default - High graphics settings.  Changed FXAA to MSAA as suggested resolved flickering squares.  Still some ground texture/grass flickering going on.  Why should I have to change the antialiasing method for Deferred Shading?

I don't know your graphics card or what options you have tried other than what you have stated.

With my nvidia card I can either enable or disable fxaa AND/OR mfaa per game.  Both of these were set to off for me (under nvidia control panel) when I first ran the update.  I haven't done a lot of checking yet, but I am experimenting just like everyone else, but may I suggest you check your respective manufacterer's control panel or equivalent to eliminate potential reasons for some of the issues you are seeing.  I know most of you have up to date drivers where applicable.  ie: if your card has the option to enable or disable a particular aa method like mine does.

I'm not getting this issue but maybe this will help someone who is.  Good luck.

3 minutes ago, Avimimus said:

The weird flickering reduced immersion - but for me the game breaking thing is the flickering of shadows when flying at low altitude (including this weird thing where the ground itself blinks. So, I'll have to wait for a fix before exploring the patch more. I'll be happy so long as a patch comes eventually though (otherwise it would be unplayable for ground attack)!

Switching to MSAA and turning normal AA off didn't help. Although the squares seemed to get a bit smaller with MSAA they were still there, and the ground flickering problem remained or got worse!

Also, I noticed that - out of all the Russian aircraft - the only one where the pilot doesn't have a pistol is the U-2VS... is this intended or an oversight?

Anyway, it looks like it'll be a great patch!

LOL, 

Other than high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis, and a hacking cough, I am good health! 

• Haha 1

Love the canopy reflections. 

Smooth play with no problems at all so far (sort of mid-rangish PC with a 1070 Ti graphics card).

Yaks and their cockpits are very nicely done. Are the cockpits 4k already? The 9T with the ENORMOUS CANNON is fun.

Very happy to have a P-38 campaign.