Han

Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

4 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

You're not going to be handicapped. It's a moot point now. I addressed this yesterday. I hide, close or move threads if they don't belong somewhere or they have an ugly purpose.

Jason

Dear Jason THANK YOU! I just tried the new VR zoom and is awesome for spotting and ID outside works great for that purpose....thank you so much for listening.... l....is there anyway to keep in future updates both levels of zoom the old x2 VR zoom that worked pretty good for looking at gauges... and the new one that works outside great.! once again thank you its awesome you guys are helping... 

Posted (edited)

Everything is perfect for me. But this zoom is not good for rendering targets on ground.  I will test further with bomb sight tomorrow. 
hope to have back old zoom as a option or stage 2 

rift S 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

SAO off

ssaooff1.thumb.jpg.26b13669612e4f4bdbcbfffb9695aa9d.jpg

SSAO On

ssaoon1.thumb.jpg.b8ad273fde9dd49e4469a7c6e42e29de.jpg

AA in distance now even worse for me. at 150 km. distance with SSAO on.

AA issue are better with SSAO off.

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Han said:

I have PiMAX 4K, and I have both 4.006c and 4006d installs. So I've compared and I see no difference buth in hemet and on monitor when zoom is normal. We need to understand what is causing the issue for some of customers.

4006d_to_4006d_VR_compare.jpg

I fly in VivePro and the new update makes VR pretty unnatural to me.

The FOV has been increased, or it seems, so it feels like I've got a 200 degree FOV horizontally (not diagonally). It's like i'm flying inside a giant fishbowl looking in to the world form the inside. :(

I flew for 10 minutes and I can't anymore. It's that tiring and unnatural. I've played with the IPD (in-game and on my head-set) and no matter what I choose I get the same ultra-wide FoV for a vivepro.  :( I can't fly anymore like this.. like at all..

Edited by Count_de_Money
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Han said:

@Count_de_Money maybe check out this thread and post your experience? There is some advice there as well. Some people have fixed the similar issue you have by resetting the resolution to their monitor's native resolution in game.

• Thanks 1

The zoom is really better than the old one.

I have The issue that at some distances planes desappear when zooming in. I think is because of scaling when zooming, But they totally dessapear in front of me.

Thanks devs for starting taking care of this issue.

10 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

@Count_de_Money maybe check out this thread and post your experience? There is some advice there as well. Some people have fixed the similar issue you have by resetting the resolution to their monitor's native resolution in game.

thank you, I posted my observations in that forum.

34 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

I fly in VivePro and the new update makes VR pretty unnatural to me.

The FOV has been increased, or it seems, so it feels like I've got a 200 degree FOV horizontally (not diagonally). It's like i'm flying inside a giant fishbowl looking in to the world form the inside. :(

I flew for 10 minutes and I can't anymore. It's that tiring and unnatural. I've played with the IPD (in-game and on my head-set) and no matter what I choose I get the same ultra-wide FoV for a vivepro.  :( I can't fly anymore like this.. like at all..

you need to readjust you're FOV setting in 2-D mode then you'll should be ok.

Guys, 

If you have an HTC Vive Pro, you’ll need to make sure your screen resolution in your ingame settings is set to the native screen resolution of your monitor. 

Just now, rowdyb00t said:

Guys, 

If you have an HTC Vive Pro, you’ll need to make sure your screen resolution in your ingame settings is set to the native screen resolution of your monitor. 

ok, how do I do that exactly? The SteamVR controls the output resolution to VivePro goggles, not the game.

10 minutes ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

you need to readjust you're FOV setting in 2-D mode then you'll should be ok.

i never ran it in 2d. Where's the  2D FoV configured in game??

CC65B6C7-4AF4-4798-85E9-B8892FC90EC5.jpeg.eaa92dc82ceaf11705b520260814e0f8.jpeg

DCB7C9BF-F514-4017-8655-63B33D07E78C.jpeg.a72134a521ef65018c0de01143dd25e6.jpeg

Set to your native monitor setting. 

-Vive users-

• Upvote 1

You know, I've been on the edge of buying BoN but the price (110$ Cad) was a lot and I've been waiting. But seeing how many great updates have come out in the last month and how much work the team does I'm gonna grab it. I think the devs really deserve the money!

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

CC65B6C7-4AF4-4798-85E9-B8892FC90EC5.jpeg.eaa92dc82ceaf11705b520260814e0f8.jpeg

DCB7C9BF-F514-4017-8655-63B33D07E78C.jpeg.a72134a521ef65018c0de01143dd25e6.jpeg

Set to your native monitor setting. 

-Vive users-

doesn't fix the issue. The FoV is way too wide and it's not 1:1. I can see clearly my 6 o'clock if I turn my head 90-95 degrees...

I pasted the rest in the tech forum. And thank you for the hints, @rowdyb00t, I appreciate it! 

I removed startup.cfg, the game generated the new one.. restarted the PC, etc. The only thing I didn't try was re-install the game.. Maybe that's the next step on my agenda. :)

Edited by Count_de_Money

GTX 1660ti  

Were the cockpit reflections toned down?  I have them set to high.  Before the patch, I could almost read the gauges from the reflection on the window. Now it seems they are barely there.

Also, the overall brightness of the game seems to have gone down a little.  I was using the west-most area of the Kuban spring map QMB. Time: 12:00.  Clouds: none. 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Count_de_Money said:

I pasted the rest in the tech forum. And thank you for the hints, @rowdyb00t, I appreciate it! 

Your welcome! Hope you get it figured out. 
Off topic a bit but as a fellow Vive user, do you have the gear VR lenses?

9 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Your welcome! Hope you get it figured out. 
Off topic a bit but as a fellow Vive user, do you have the gear VR lenses?

yup, I do. The gearVR lenses in vivePro was the best thing that happend to VR world. :)

My Reverb is really happy now. Everything looks great, all I had to do was adjust my POV and it’s perfect now. 

• Upvote 1

Hey guys, any Pimax 5k+ users get this working? I posted in the other thread. None of the tricks, like changing in game resolution to native resolution or adjusting ingame IPD has worked. Wings are still canted forward as if they have increased the FOV, which warps the perspective for even normal flight. As of now, I can't even fly in a quick match. Thanks!

1 minute ago, SCG_redcloud111 said:

Hey guys, any Pimax 5k+ users get this working? I posted in the other thread. None of the tricks, like changing in game resolution to native resolution or adjusting ingame IPD has worked. Wings are still canted forward as if they have increased the FOV, which warps the perspective for even normal flight. As of now, I can't even fly in a quick match. Thanks!

Parallel projection off? 

3 minutes ago, rowdyb00t said:

Parallel projection off? 

Yes, and the game running in optimal form based on @SCG_Fenris_Wolf settings. As a matter of fact, since the last update, the game was running the smoothest it has ever been. I was just commenting on how all the hard work of tweaking has paid off. I have requested a way to use the rendering options they had even yesterday. I am hoping it is just some config variables in some file.

Posted (edited)

I really thought long and hard about making this post because I understand all the hard work the team has put in and how many things they have to juggle to make this work with so many different systems but I have to say something...

Well... it was like giving a dog a nice juicy bone, just let him take one little bite and then snatch it back away from him. 😩

The 4.006d patch is just back to the same old game visually for me as it was before the initial 4.006 patch, maybe even a little worse... I can't spot planes, and the all the graphics/reflections just 'blah' again, there is no clear definition like we had with the initial release of the patch.

I've been told you can 'dumb-down' graphics and use third party applications to get a competitive advantage but I refuse to do that for many reasons. I run all the graphics/resolution at maximum for as much realism as possible and I also stream on Twitch when I fly and I want it to look as good as possible to my viewers... shouldn't have to game the game to be competitive online.

I'm happy for the VR guys who can see across the map again and hopefully the AMD guys don't glitches anymore... BUT DAMN... you shouldn't have done it, you shouldn't have teased me with how great this simulation could be visually. I think I got to fly for 3 or 4 days and I was in heaven with the beauty and how well I could see and use my situational awareness... right now I'm in a state of depression.

I'm not sure if I'm an isolated case or there is some sort of bug with my setup to put me back to pre-patch visuals, might even be worse than pre-patch. I am using a high-end Nivida card with top of the line CPU... spent a lot of money to get the most out of my gaming, namely this game I love to play. I run all the setting direct from a NVIDIA profile, (8x AA & 16 AF) I haven't done much with tweaking yet, hopefully there is a way to get it back to what it was for a few days.

Regards,

Mad-Moses

Gaming System:

• CPU: Intel Core i9-9800k @ 3.6 GHz (5.0 GHz o/c)
  • GPU: NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2080 Super 8 GB GDDR6
  • RAM: 32 GB DDR4 2666 MHz
  • Motherboard: MSI Z390I Gaming Edge AC
  • Monitor: ASUS VG27B 2K @ 165Hz
Edited by Mad-Moses
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Mad-Moses said:

Think think I got to fly 3 or 4 days and I was in heaven with the beauty

Mad-Moses. I am right with you. Since the deferred shading update, I have been amazed at how smooth and amazing looking the game was. I am a VR user and have been playing in single player since all this ruckus started over zoom. I think they need to go back to what they had as of yesterday and rethink the solution.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Mad-Moses You need to use application controlled or enhance. 16X AF doesn't do anything as far as I can tell in IL-2. The more AA you use the worse spotting will become because polygons that make up the planes are sub pixel in the sky will get averaged down by the other samples in that pixel that are just sky. You're probably shooting yourself in the foot, switch it all back to application controlled and use the minimum MSAA in game to get rid of the jaggies this will depend on your resolution. If you are on a 4K screen you may find you actually don't need any.

• Upvote 1

I'm liking the DM in the current version.  I would have no idea of knowing if it's accurate to real life, but I know that when the simming day is done, and we are laying in bed, we picture the day's battles again in our head...And that picture sure looks a lot like WW 2 gun camera footage to me!  Just "feels" right, as subjective as that is, having no particular knowledge to say it isn't.

• Like 3

I have to agree.  The big patch was the best for me and the hotfixes really reverted the visuals to nearly pre-patch levels.   

I know there's fixes that needed to be made but, the fixes seem to be undoing the benefits for those who received the best of it right from the start.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for everybody benefitting from the glorious change but, I sincerely hope that those of us who are gradually losing with each hotfix can get back what we lost from the big update.  

• Like 1

Pimax Artisan here. The "VR Fishbowl" bug hit me hard with this new patch, and I did already report it on Han's other thread. No work-arounds have helped.

Example: sitting in the A20 rear top gunner position, I can make the vertical stab/rudder bend a couple feet just by rotating my head slightly left or right (not zoomed in).

It seems to affect mostly Pimax units, and some Odyssey / Vive units too?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 69th_Mobile_BBQ said:

I have to agree.  The big patch was the best for me and the hotfixes really reverted the visuals to nearly pre-patch levels.   

I know there's fixes that needed to be made but, the fixes seem to be undoing the benefits for those who received the best of it right from the start.  

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for everybody benefitting from the glorious change but, I sincerely hope that those of us who are gradually losing with each hotfix can get back what we lost from the big update.  

Did you recheck all you graphics options? My game actually looks better (including spotting). But my sharpen filter was set to off, so everything was a bit blurry. (Turned it back on)

Edited by 216th_Jordan

Just now, Mad-Moses said:

graphics/reflections just 'blah' again

Indeed, blah again

1 hour ago, 216th_Jordan said:

Did you recheck all you graphics options? My game actually looks better (including spotting). But my sharpen filter was set to off, so everything was a bit blurry. (Turned it back on)

All my graphics options are the same that I've been using all along.  There is a very noticeable drop in image quality this current hotfix.  Cockpit reflections are very reduced (even the gauge glass isn't all that noticeable), spotting is only slightly better vs. pre-big update, Kuban sea looks like flat land painted the same Navy Blue as a F4U-1C standard paint job unless you fly very low. 

Everything was looking top notch and running without issue at 60fps without trouble beforehand.  The game still runs without frame rate issues but, it's definitely gone backwards in visual quality since the latest hotfix(es).

settings.jpg

3 hours ago, SeaSerpent said:

I'm liking the DM in the current version.  I would have no idea of knowing if it's accurate to real life, but I know that when the simming day is done, and we are laying in bed, we picture the day's battles again in our head...And that picture sure looks a lot like WW 2 gun camera footage to me!  Just "feels" right, as subjective as that is, having no particular knowledge to say it isn't.

I do like that lately, I've been able to force 109s to overheat.  I hadn't seen that before my flights today.  :) 

11 hours ago, Han said:

everything seems to be working as intended on the Odyssey+, and it is quite an improvement from the 2x zoom. 

That being said, it is still far from a comparative or complete fix.

I understand matching the FOV to 2D and VR makes sense on paper, but it is simply not comparable when using zoom to identify targets. The pixel density at this zoom range gives a clear advantage to 2D players when identifying aircraft. The VR zoom needs to be further

I have seen other mention it, but the 2x zoom needs to come back as well. A combo zoom, or sliding scale would be perfect. 

there is a slight fish bowl and warping of terrain when zooming at the ground.

aircraft seem to lose their contrast a bit when magnified as well as a slight shimmer in the sun.

Can't wait to seem what you guys come up with next, thanks for the great work.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

🤘🤘🤘

Thanks for listening to the community and providing a solution to the problem! This is absolutely exemplary! Now I hope everyone will play nice with the devs and let them carry on with planned development.

P.S. Air Marshall, when?

50 minutes ago, SCG_Rudis said:

I understand matching the FOV to 2D and VR makes sense on paper, but it is simply not comparable when using zoom to identify targets. The pixel density at this zoom range gives a clear advantage to 2D players when identifying aircraft. The VR zoom needs to be further

Whilst 2D users have greater pixel density VR users here are failing to take into account that unless the 2D player is playing on a 55 Inch TV - at default FOV of the game prior to 4.006d, the scale of image advantage was to VR users.  That is, VR users at default FOV (Zoom or un-zoomed in normal view mode in the headset) had the image size advantage over 2D users.  At 55 Inches on a 1080p TV - the pixel density for the image would actually be similar to what VR users have in their headsets.

From what I have read with VR user comments it would seem that the issue was not with magnification / FOV but with image clarity of their devices.  This is an easy trap to fall into with VR as the industry is very callas with giving native displayed resolution information to its users as opposed to 2D monitor manufacturers.

They have tried to dumb down the interface and give us Super Sampling Sliding scales with little information on how it pertains to the unit the SS values are being applied to.  This in the 2D world is like trying to run 900 x 600 resolution on a 1080p monitor.  It will look like garbage as the resolution is stretched out un uniformly across the native pixel resolution of the 1080p monitor. 

With VR it is trying to display, using Super Sampling, for example 1600 x 1200 on a display which is for that eye using 1280 x 1080 (for example) native resolution. 

1. it is mathematically more intensive for your computer to calculate and

2. doesn't look good leading to blurriness, contrast washout and colour washout.

They would be better either using 1280 x 1080 with MSAA/FXAA or SS where the target res is 2560 x 2160

Us users are the ones left pissing in the dark trying to work this out due to the VR Industry "User Friendliness".

So many mixed responses to the new graphics changes ! Some love it, some hate it, some can't tell the difference.

My own opinion is I preferred the old graphics before 4.006. Why?

1. I could spot distant contacts better, especially low contacts against the ground. (Much harder now)

2. Image quality was better in general. Anti aliasing worked well and there was no shimmering. Latest fix improved this a little but 4.005 was better.

3. Planes flying in clouds didn't stand out so much. Now they may as well have a big neon sign saying "shoot me !"

I guess the issue lies with the variety of viewing options everyone has: Monitor / TV / VR and also 1080p / 1440p / 4k. I have 40' TV 1080p, GTX 970 and Ryzen 2600. 4.005 looked great and spotting was fine.

Would there be any way to incorporate a launcher menu so people can choose the graphics rendering that best suits their system ?

Thanks team for constantly trying to improve the sim and move it forward. Maybe 4.006 just needs a few more tweaks. Great job with getting hot fixes out so fast too.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, SirFlappy said:

Just tested new update (restarted  PC after completion), went for test flight from runway Kuban summer map ,Spit IX.

4x msaa , grass ON normal.

I was originally on driver 19.10.1 (RX 480 card).

Then went to latest driver during recent update probs. Same issues on both sets.

So yesterday went back to 19.10.1, because I prefer the picture quality on my 32" tv I use as a monitor with old driver ,

as I can use YCbCr 4:4:4 pixel format (cannot on newer drivers).

Looking forward to trying game after 4.006d update but this is the result.....same as before latest hotfix.

Dont know if it does it with latest drivers ....starting to lose heart messing around swapping drivers ......sigh!!

Pics taken a few minutes ago below.

yy.jpg

yyy.jpg

Hi, I had the exact same problem as you.

The hotfixes didn't help nor did changing drivers, so last night a decided to completely reinstall the game. Now, after over an hour of testing, i can confidently state that the problem is no more.

Hope this makes you happy SirFlappy.

Edited by Wanderfalke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SirFlappy said:

Not wanting to divert the VR issue I take it you are aware that some ATI users are still messed up (me!) graphically,after the update 4.006d?

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/61701-game-version-4006-discussion-deferred-shading-yak-9-su-152-new-campaigns-4k-for-4-planes/page/20/

yy.jpg

yyy.jpg

Use ddu uninstaller and remove your drivers and install them again (the latest one)

12 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

Everything is perfect for me. But this zoom is not good for rendering targets on ground.  I will test further with bomb sight tomorrow. 
hope to have back old zoom as a option or stage 2 

rift S 

Well I take back what I said. Testing yesterday showed deteriorated images on ground 

Today after a reboot and put my settings as they where. (Something had change in there)

I found that extended zoom has no effect on bombsight and ground target rendering compared to before patch. Carry on the good job, do not mind me. 
I show myself out. 

Thank you again for restoring harmony

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

This latest hotfix even further improved performance for me, plus new vr zoom without any hickups...everything is soo smooth, even clarity and graphics seems better now....at least i have feeling being that way (rift s, mxssa x2)!

Only thing is missing two level zoom (old+new one)!

Sorry to hear others have problems, as seen so far i'm sure devs will fix it, give it few days!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Never use the zoom, it's non-authentic as an experience in the cockpit. Never installed the 'cheat' mod that caused much consternation. Had great visual acuity and performance in VR and loved this simulation. Now I find myself grounded due to total breakdown in HMD of image. Come on Devs, pull that  finger out !

I can't see across the map with the restored zoom.

I can simply ID an enemy at a reasonable range before it sets up to kill me.

The new zoom is nothing like migoto at the max setting and I can't understand what might have happened to hose the graphics for guys like mad moses.

I hope that there is a fix for guys like him soon that doesn't undo the VR zoom improvement.

26 minutes ago, 41Sqn_MADOV said:

Never use the zoom, it's non-authentic as an experience in the cockpit. Never installed the 'cheat' mod that caused much consternation. Had great visual acuity and performance in VR and loved this simulation. Now I find myself grounded due to total breakdown in HMD of image. Come on Devs, pull that  finger out !

Have you tried the different fixes listed in the VR forum?