Game version 4.006 discussion: Deferred Shading, Yak-9, SU-152, New Campaigns, 4K for 4 planes

6 hours ago, sevenless said:

Hmmm, that is odd. My 9 years old i7-2600@4000Mhz does fine. With 4.006 I even got an FPS boost I never expected. GPU is 2xGTX 980 in SLI. Try my settings and look how it goes for you. Maybe that helps. I usually also play with scattered density:

Unbenannt.jpg

Unbenannt1.jpg

I have lower settings than you and constant 59-60 fps, but game is slow(and now i have big tearing/freezing)in the contact zone with planes, flak and ground units. Maybe there is big difference between i5 and i7 cpu.

On 5/20/2020 at 1:07 AM, Redwo1f said:

btw, those looking to fps benchmark - Remagen track doesn't work new patch (at least for me) - believe it is related to JU-88 pilot

I have just tried this morning to run the Remagen track with the latest hotfix and it doesn´t work. It is also a bug related to the Ju-88.

I would be great if dev team can take a look of this "little" detail so we can compare the improvement of the new version.

If this can not be repaired, then we have no ways to objectively measure performance. 

• Upvote 2
On 5/20/2020 at 8:09 PM, Talon_ said:

That makes a lot of sense. Krup here was playing on our server which is in NYC which is relatively local to him but of course that doesn't change the facts that one packet may drop compared to another. Has the team got any ideas regarding how we might get damage more consistent across MP & SP?

EDIT: He informs me he pings 30 to our server.

Thanks for a solid update Jason.

We'll put out an announcement in the Combat Box discord asking for the community's help.

We  will need to wait for Elon Musk to fix that.
Elon Musk: Starlink latency will be good enough for competitive gaming
https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/03/musk-says-starlink-isnt-for-big-cities-wont-be-huge-threat-to-telcos/

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

Getting some more frames in VR on my aging rig!  Just wanted to report the good news as I've really been through it trying to maintain a good experience in VR with Il-2 and my lower spec machine.

It's a really good update.  Thanks Jason & team.  Cheers.

Chris

Edited by cmorris975
12 hours ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

Black, as in the pilot has passed out? (unconscious) 

Reveal hidden contents

Black, like you painted Gunsight(HUD) with black paint!!

Edited by =VARP=Klingon

Thank you very much guys for the hot fixes, really appreciated.:drinks:

Downloaded and installed with no drama, all seems okay my side so far but my time in the sim has been very limited.;)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

8 hours ago, OrLoK said:

get it right!

"murky buckets" is the correct form ;)

8 hours ago, OrLoK said:

get it right!

"murky buckets" is the correct form ;)

Donkey Shane pour la correction mine hair

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Han said:

4.006b change-list:

2. Technochat can be disabled locally even if it enabled on a multiplayer server;

8. Large ships should be able to enter and exit inland ports like Rotterdam;

Thanks for the fix.

I Can confirm that my ships enter and leave the rotterdam harbour now

And I can fly without technochat whenever I want (or force users to fly without on my server if I want to)

Great job guys!

Deci

14 hours ago, Han said:

Dear customers,

As soon as it was possible we have prepaired a hot-fix for 4.006 which is fixing several major issues. We are still waiting fro response from ATI company support, but there is a temporary solution in this hot-fix for this period.

4.006b change-list:

1. The Grass can now be set to Off in the game graphics settings. Together with MSAA anti-aliasing option it gives a temporary workaround for AMD video cards until we find a proper solution;
2. Technochat can be disabled locally even if it enabled on a multiplayer server;
3. Folding gunsights on several aircraft won't leave the insight lens in place;
4. Various small visual features like rocks added to the ground surfaces on Prokhorovka map (they are visible up close);
5. There is now a hole in La-5FN instrument panel if radio compass isn't installed;
6. IL-2 mod. 1943 canopy glass correctly moves when the canopy is opened;
7. The excessive audibility of 7-8 mm hits on other planes has been corrected;
8. Large ships should be able to enter and exit inland ports like Rotterdam;
9. Wrong tank sounds in multiplayer have been corrected;
10. Wrong switch sounds in tanks have been corrected;
11. Ships visibility at 10+ km has been corrected;
12. Yak-9 and Yak-9T variometer has been corrected;
13. Marder III and Pz.38 should appear less bright in sunny weather;
14. A graphical artifact on Ju-87 fuel gauge has been corrected;
15. Fw 190 D-9 cockpit looks less washed out when viewed from outside.

4006b.thumb.jpg.5ec2c681d84d40a79cda50062c38024f.jpg

Nothing better then good hotfix to start a day, but you see you still have bug with Info feed option, when i turn it on, i dont see this important messages on right side:

11,        'First engine: emergency mode time exceeded!',    'modeextraover',    0,        0|
12,        'First engine: combat mode time exceeded!',        'modefightover',    0,        0|
13,        'First engine: boosted mode time exceeded!',    'modeextraover',    0,        0|

&engine0combatModeExceeded=
value,    message,                                        image,                type,    simple|
1,        'First engine: combat mode time exceeded!',        'modefightover',    1,        0|
0,        'First engine: combat mode recovered',            'modefightrec',        1,        0|

&engine0emergencyModeExceeded=
value,    message,                                        image,                type,    simple|
1,        'First engine: emergency mode time exceeded!',    'modeextraover',    1,        0|
0,        'First engine: emergency mode recovered',        'modeextrarec',        1,        0|

&engine0boostedModeExceeded=
1,        'First engine: boosted mode time exceeded!',    'modeextraover',    1,        0|
0,        'First engine: boosted mode recovered',            'modeextrarec',        1,        0|

&engine0bomberCriticalMode=
11,        'First engine: take-off mode time exceeded!',    'modeextraover',    0,        0|
12,        'First engine: climb mode time exceeded!',        'modefightover',    0,        0|

If any messages fits definition of important its thouse, and they show up only when Instrument panel is turned on ( they have nothing to do with that by any logic), and i dont need stuff that Instrument panel turns on just to be able to see ALL important information feed messages.
On the other hand if i turn of Info feed and have Instrument panel on, i dont see thouse messages even thought Instrument panel that turns them on is on, so its clear that this is not intentional and thouse messages are ment to be part of Info feed, and they are bugged as they dont show up when Info feed is just turn on.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

I have lower settings than you and constant 59-60 fps, but game is slow(and now i have big tearing/freezing)in the contact zone with planes, flak and ground units. Maybe there is big difference between i5 and i7 cpu.

My ancient i5-3570 paired with a GTX1060 6g  does about equally compared to before, on medium settings but with 2560x1440 resolution. No freezing or tearing and between 60-110 FPS in Multiplayer.

6 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

Looking at online benchmarks the processors should be roughly the same in performance - his is an i7 but yours is a later gen i5, and I think you are overclocking right? Base clock for your CPU looks like 3.40 ghz. Only big difference appears to be number of threads - he has 4 more. But lots of people play on i5s with only four threads still since single thread performance is still more important than multiple threads for Il-2. 

Tearing, freezing and stutters I think is more likely to be related to GPU than CPU. When I was dealing with stutters it was mostly because the VRAM on my card was getting maxed out and overflowing onto my RAM, which was ALSO maxed out. A RAM upgrade and a newer card with more and faster VRAM made a huge difference.

I do notice that you have DDR3 RAM, though it is at 2133 mhz, which is relatively fast -as fast as my RAM will go, but it is DDR4. I suppose it could be that your memory is not fast enough to supply data to your processor efficiently. I have read that Il-2 really likes fast memory, but I thought it only mattered at the bleeding edge of performance.

Have you tried to use an application like MSI Afterburner to log your hardware usage in-game, so you can see what hardware is getting maxed out in Career mode?  Maybe make a post in the Hardware forum and see if there is someone with a similar rig with some tips.

47 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

Looking at online benchmarks the processors should be roughly the same in performance - his is an i7 but yours is a later gen i5, and I think you are overclocking right? Base clock for your CPU looks like 3.40 ghz. Only big difference appears to be number of threads - he has 4 more. But lots of people play on i5s with only four threads still since single thread performance is still more important than multiple threads for Il-2. 

Tearing, freezing and stutters I think is more likely to be related to GPU than CPU. When I was dealing with stutters it was mostly because the VRAM on my card was getting maxed out and overflowing onto my RAM, which was ALSO maxed out. A RAM upgrade and a newer card with more and faster VRAM made a huge difference.

I do notice that you have DDR3 RAM, though it is at 2133 mhz, which is relatively fast -as fast as my RAM will go, but it is DDR4. I suppose it could be that your memory is not fast enough to supply data to your processor efficiently. I have read that Il-2 really likes fast memory, but I thought it only mattered at the bleeding edge of performance.

Have you tried to use an application like MSI Afterburner to log your hardware usage in-game, so you can see what hardware is getting maxed out in Career mode?  Maybe make a post in the Hardware forum and see if there is someone with a similar rig with some tips.

Hi, the game is  fluid without stutters in qmb and career. There is sometime big freeze, when probably something is loaded into memory.

But when Im entering the combat zone in career, there is a big slowdown in gameplay. Now with deffered shading its slightly better (but still slow), but now I have something like really bad FPS (I cant describe it), but game indicates 59-60 FPS.

I have overclocked CPU to 4.4ghz and my memory to only 1866. I need to lower it because I have BSOD before.

I know that my PC is old now (although I cannot run career since beginning), but unfortunately my wife disagree with me, that I need better one.

• Sad 1
24 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Hi, the game is  fluid without stutters in qmb and career. There is sometime big freeze, when probably something is loaded into memory.

But when Im entering the combat zone in career, there is a big slowdown in gameplay. Now with deffered shading its slightly better (but still slow), but now I have something like really bad FPS (I cant describe it), but game indicates 59-60 FPS.

I have overclocked CPU to 4.4ghz and my memory to only 1866. I need to lower it because I have BSOD before.

I know that my PC is old now (although I cannot run career since beginning), but unfortunately my wife disagree with me, that I need better one.

Having good fps , does not mean you can't get freezes and stutters.

Other factors can cause that, does not sound like a gpu (video card) problem, more likely RAM(system) or VRam (video card) or Hard drive is the cause.

(there are a lot of things that can cause stutters and freezes , these are just easy ones to check (software problems on the PC (background programs/drivers) can also be a cause and overclocks(RAM/CPU/GPU) too, if temps get high (under load this is a common issue, temps go up and the freezes start....)

You can see RAM and VRAM use with task manager in window 10, or use MSI afterburner as suggested by @RedKestrel

You need to know how much vram & system RAM the game is using with current settings. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination , starting from a minimal configuration...

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • 1CGS
21 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

I think you should change your (computer/wife) first, underline what you need :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
19 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Silly advice, maybe you know it already, take care when you start a career. Depending on your settings, the toll is quite high.

Here is what I mean:

1958729180_Careeroptions.thumb.jpg.bd51eab865d3294f92ced49b0a29a230.jpg

Try to modify the density of the front-line activity - this is quite performance killer.

Cheerio

• Upvote 1

Has anyone answered the question whether removing SteamVR does anything to improve VR performance? I can’t think it makes much difference & wouldn’t allow adjustments made in Steam VR settings...which I have questions about as well.

26 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

4 minutes ago, -DED-Rapidus said:

I think you should change your (computer/wife) first, underline what you need :)

Well it depends - if your wife is still young, you better listen what she says. But if your wife is old, then it's.... forget it, I was going to be silly. :ph34r:

• Haha 1
13 hours ago, DoctorDrago said:

I still have the black flickering also, tested on Stalingrad Winter initially.  Hot-fix installed, Grass OFF, 4x MSAA.  BUT!  The flickering box is considerably smaller and disappears much closer to the ground now.  Screens to illustrate:  The Yak image is from before the hot-fix with grass normal, the P-38 image is from after with grass off. 

Had to zoom in much more to see the flickering block, and it was much smaller and far less uniform.  So, turning grass off definitely had an effect on the issue for me!  For reference, this is an RX 5700XT.

So for a workaround, it's an improvement!  Thanks for the quick work, devs!

UPDATE: Flickering block is gone completely on Rheinland Summer!

2020_5_20__17_41_26.png

2020_5_22__0_39_55.png

Interesting and this has been pointed out to the Developers in VR related comments that some of the older maps at the airfields have black flickering but for me it was on the periphery of my view.

This with a Nvidia RTX2080

Are these Black flickering areas only at the airfields or are they on other parts of the map??

39 minutes ago, -=-THERION said:

Silly advice, maybe you know it already, take care when you start a career. Depending on your settings, the toll is quite high.

Here is what I mean:

1958729180_Careeroptions.thumb.jpg.bd51eab865d3294f92ced49b0a29a230.jpg

Try to modify the density of the front-line activity - this is quite performance killer.

Cheerio

Yep I play with scattered density

49 minutes ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

Having good fps , does not mean you can't get freezes and stutters.

Other factors can cause that, does not sound like a gpu (video card) problem, more likely RAM(system) or VRam (video card) or Hard drive is the cause.

(there are a lot of things that can cause stutters and freezes , these are just easy ones to check (software problems on the PC (background programs/drivers) can also be a cause and overclocks(RAM/CPU/GPU) too, if temps get high (under load this is a common issue, temps go up and the freezes start....)

You can see RAM and VRAM use with task manager in window 10, or use MSI afterburner as suggested by @RedKestrel

You need to know how much vram & system RAM the game is using with current settings. Troubleshooting is a process of elimination , starting from a minimal configuration...

Even if I lower everything in the game options, game is slow at the frontline

1 hour ago, 71st_AH_Mastiff said:

tray tools works with no issues.

Auto mode (< 80, > 40 fps, and that's the whole point) does not work for me, even though I use OTT.

Edited by Blue_Bear

Very much enjoying the new update.

Did 4 of the new Lightning campaign missions, pretty much maxed out settings, other than using FXAA. Didn't encounter anything past the usual drawbacks of FXAA, save for the aforementioned subtle blue bordering of planes when visually passing over clouds.

Did another 3 of the missions, this time with MSAA. Certainly looks better in all respects, about a ~15-20 FPS cost, but I did get some very subtle graphical glitches, both of which were far from gamebreaking. Will give the NV CP AA a shot tonight to see how that goes.

Setup is a Nvidia 2070 Super, 445.87 driver, amd3600/16gb. These are all 2x resized crops from 3440x1440, am on MAX fov and not zoomed.

First is, under distant forests, there is some sort of black artifacting under the trees that disappears on zoom:

image.thumb.png.1589a2b2893e384e92ea095cb5ff2bea.png

Second are some tiny black triangles that appear when flying over cities with 3d buildings, again these disappear on zoom:

image.thumb.png.22d319715833116873b4b96d71217ec9.png

On 5/21/2020 at 12:33 AM, -DED-Rapidus said:

Yes, the tests were conducted on the network, but not in conditions when the server has 84 players out of 84.

We can bring the multiplayer to a guaranteed working condition, but then no more than 32 users on the server will fly. Therefore, all questions to the server holders, how much they loaded the world, so that the simulation does not have time to work out the hit of shells.

Combat Box runs 84 players with tick times varying from 11ms to about 16ms, depending on the mission, where players are (ground objects activate based on player location) and what the players are doing (bombing/fighting = more load on the server). Our missions have not changed with this new patch. Krupinski, one of the pilots who made the Yak damage video, is a very experienced player with a 30ms ping to the server. The server is hosted in a commercial datacentre in New York.

23 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

Yep I play with scattered density

Even if I lower everything in the game options, game is slow at the frontline

If you didnt, try to turn off full screen, turn on 4K skins option, and set fps limiter to 59, vsync on. 

• 1CGS

ATI specialists have responded to our "Batman Searchlight" - they have confirmed that it is driver issue.

What will be the solution - driver update or game changes which will buffer driver disadvantage - time will show. 

But at least - there is a light in the end of the tunnel (and it seems that it is not a train headlight 🙂 ).

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 6
  • Upvote 5
53 minutes ago, CountZero said:

If you didnt, try to turn off full screen, turn on 4K skins option, and set fps limiter to 59, vsync on. 

I have fullscreen off, vsync on and 4k also on. and limit to 60. Ill try 59.

I just had mission against enemy ground attack planes above Nijmegen city. Scattered density.

12 Fw190d and we were joined by some Bf109k against at least 17 enemy planes (Tempests and P47).

Game was in different points at the location area totally unplayable (very very slow).

Strange is that even in the same area game was sometimes normaly fast and even at one point after big slowdown even faster (like 2.0x speed) :)

I shot down 12 enemy planes (on hard difficulty- rolleyes) and there was no difference in speed. Still slow.

After I was run out of ammo I turned home and game was fluid again until I was in the area when enemy flak started to fire on me which slowed  the game again. I was pursuied by just one Tempest.

Game was again slow above my airfield even though it was fluid before with 12 planes taking off.

in the task manager I have approx. 40% CPU load at the airfield with 12 planes. (take off)

When the game was unplayable  CPU load was between 35-70%

In the flak area 35% and same when I was landing.

When I tested GPU load before with Riva tuner GPU load was approx 50%.

Edit: I tried to turn off  every options in the game

I tried stock speed with my CPU

Edited by Voidhunger
1 hour ago, blitze said:

Interesting and this has been pointed out to the Developers in VR related comments that some of the older maps at the airfields have black flickering but for me it was on the periphery of my view.

This with a Nvidia RTX2080

Are these Black flickering areas only at the airfields or are they on other parts of the map??

This is over any piece of land (i.e. not frozen river or water) on the Winter maps.  On Summer maps it's gone after the hotfix, and for reference I am not using VR.

Edited by DoctorDrago
  • Thanks 1
  • Han unpinned this topic