Jump to content
Jason_Williams

Official Scripted Campaign "Lightning Strikes!"

Recommended Posts

Jaeger, there's a little thing to correct maybe.

In the briefings, we're asked to fly two 1000lb bombs, and when checked, it seems that they are 500lb instead. For the player's plane and for the others too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/31/2020 at 12:10 PM, Jaegermeister said:

OK @LukeFF, I went through the entire campaign and checked all loadouts and compared them to the briefings. I have corrected the bomb load in missions number 05, 06, 13 and 17. I have corrected the .50 cal ammo loadout in a few of the later missions where it says you have 2000 rounds, but only 1200 were loaded. Fortunately not all of the 1000 pounders were missing. It was only those 4 missions out of about 12...

 

I have not addressed the trucks yet, but I will at some point. I think the latest rounds of Hotfixes is over for a while, and the 2 significant errors have been updated, so it might be a little while before these loadouts are updated on your end.

 

 

To quote myself from earlier .... again.

Edited by Jaegermeister

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One question .... does the Bendix Radio work? How I have to do sth to use it? The needle is always stuck in the middle. :mda:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, =gRiJ=Roman- said:

One question .... does the Bendix Radio work? How I have to do sth to use it? The needle is always stuck in the middle. :mda:

 

I would have had to put a radio transmitter at the Florennes airfield, which I did not. They did not have one.

 

What they did have was ground control. When they were done with their mission, they radioed Marmite for a direction heading home. Marmite would check their location on radar and give the flight leader a compass heading for home base. We have waypoints to simulate ground control.

 

Occasionally, the Germans would intercept the Allied radio transmission and answer back in perfect English, giving the lost American pilot a bogus heading which would take them right over an 88 mm Flak battery that was ready and waiting, leading to the hapless pilot's untimely demise. On other occassions, the pilots were bright enough to figure out that east was the wrong way home, and head west until they were within radio range of Marmite.  

 

 

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jaegermeister, after I had landed at the end of mission 19, I was cycling through external views when I saw this - a P-38 flying almost in formation with a flight of 190s. The Germans were certainly within firing range of the P-38, but they flew on like this for some time, making no effort to attack the P-38:

 

2020_6_22__8_58_57.thumb.jpg.ef626af25791215638587699fbed7f69.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2020 at 5:02 AM, LukeFF said:

a P-38 flying almost in formation with a flight of 190s. The Germans were certainly within firing range of the P-38, but they flew on like this for some time, making no effort to attack the P-38:

 

I had the same issue once where the 190s flew up behind our flight, crawled up through the formation and tried to shoot me in the back. The wingmen did nothing about it. 

 

I have checked through the mission logic and I can't find anything wrong there. The 190s have a home waypoint set with High priority after their Attack Area Command expires. The only thing I can figure is that activating their waypoint is simultaneous with one of the added radio calls from the ground controller. I have had instances where an audio track playing prevents any other MCUs from working while it is playing. 

 

I added a backup timer 2 minutes later for the Enemy AC flights to activate their home waypoint. Once I get that tested, I will upload it. That should solve it anyway.  

 

You will be happy to know I have updated the files with the following changes;

 

Updated all ammo loadouts to match briefings

Removed Soviet GazAA trucks from US airfield (for Luke_FF, there were 4 or 5, you only found 2 haha)

Removed Barrels4x4 object which had no luau script from all missions

Fixed various waypoints on enemy vehicles

Corrected timing on subtitles that started too early

Deleted crashed aircraft in mission #12

Added Dinant to various missions where missing

 

I am guessing it will be corrected with the next Game Update.  :salute:

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Salutations,

 

Lower the home waypoints priority if one wants the flight to possibly engage enemy craft along the flight path of the waypoint. :coffee:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thad said:

Lower the home waypoints priority if one wants the flight to possibly engage enemy craft along the flight path of the waypoint. :coffee:

 

Good idea... except that the issue is they are following you home to your airbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problematic. 😕

 

Place some strong AAA at or around the airbase. There is only so much one can do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mission 9 Bonn 

 

I kept seeing 2 flashes going down the screen one either side of the plane. Only 2 at a time so can't be rain also too large, also it carried on when the game was in pause. With some effort managed to get a shot of one of them as below.  Foo fighters?

wtf.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Thad said:

Place some strong AAA at or around the airbase. There is only so much one can do.

 

It's not that either. They just follow you and fly in formation. It's weird. I'm pretty sure I can make them go away though.

 

10 minutes ago, Monksilver said:

I kept seeing 2 flashes going down the screen one either side of the plane.

 

That has nothing to do with me.  It looks like raindrops rendered close to your imaginary camera lens. Precipitation continues with the game paused so...

 

 

Edited by Jaegermeister
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/23/2020 at 5:56 AM, Jaegermeister said:

Removed Soviet GazAA trucks from US airfield (for Luke_FF, there were 4 or 5, you only found 2 haha)

 

LOL yeah, I forgot to keep track at some point. 😄 

 

At the end of mission 20, one of the AI taxied straight into a camo net and set himself on fire:

 

2020_6_24__23_22_23.thumb.jpg.c2bb418cb7bbcb25302af94bc75d737b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

At the end of mission 20, one of the AI taxied straight into a camo net and set himself on fire:

 

Yeah, they're idiots sometimes. I watched one taxi right off the end of the runway into tree one time. They fixed that though. 

 

They removed the tree... :biggrin:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I have flown first missions and they are great.

When flying missions, where to attack river traffic on Mosel (and next mission Cologne-Bonn) I get luascript errors about boats.

I'm not using any mods.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, vvuorela said:

Hi,

I have flown first missions and they are great.

When flying missions, where to attack river traffic on Mosel (and next mission Cologne-Bonn) I get luascript errors about boats.

I'm not using any mods.

 

Thanks, glad you are enjoying it.

 

I actually just went through the entire campaign and did an integrity check on every mission. There were no luau scripts missing from objects other that the boxes I already fixed. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's your install that is missing files.

 

If you are on steam, I think you can verify files to fix it, but that's a bit out of my wheelhouse as they say. Otherwise, make sure you don't have mods installed and when the next update is installed, it might fix it. I'm not going to say you should do a reinstall, but I would. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a way to disable the red smoke markers on target, short of removing it manually from all the missions that use it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, norsetto said:

Is there a way to disable the red smoke markers on target, short of removing it manually from all the missions that use it?

 

No, why?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that almost all of the German tanks I encounter in later missions are Panzer IIIs. Are there any Panthers or Panzer IVs? Those would be much more appropriate for the Bulge timeframe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2020 at 11:35 PM, Jaegermeister said:

 

 Otherwise, make sure you don't have mods installed and when the next update is installed, it might fix it. I'm not going to say you should do a reinstall, but I would. 

 There must be some issues with modded files I may have tried before.  Enabled mods, run the game and then disabled mods again. No more errors.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 5:30 PM, LukeFF said:

I've noticed that almost all of the German tanks I encounter in later missions are Panzer IIIs. Are there any Panthers or Panzer IVs? Those would be much more appropriate for the Bulge timeframe.

 

Yes, I put them in as placeholders, and honestly just forgot to go back and update them. I will put that in the next time I update it. I'm going to wait until after you finish the last mission though. I updated it already and you can check to see if it is ending right. :scratch_one-s_head:

 

Also I remember you mentioned that there were some other Gaz-aa trucks. I believe those were SdkFz 10 AA halftracks. It should be the 10/5 version from 1943 I think. For some reason, they are listed as Gaz-aa-m4-aa in the directory. They were German built, so I don't know why they have anything to do with a Russian built Ford?

 

On 6/27/2020 at 12:44 AM, vvuorela said:

 There must be some issues with modded files I may have tried before.  Enabled mods, run the game and then disabled mods again. No more errors.

 

I'm glad you got it running right. It would be a shame not to get to blow up those nice boats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 6:56 AM, Jaegermeister said:

Yes, I put them in as placeholders, and honestly just forgot to go back and update them. I will put that in the next time I update it. I'm going to wait until after you finish the last mission though. I updated it already and you can check to see if it is ending right. :scratch_one-s_head:

 

Ok, cool. I just finished the last mission (in the current public build), and all seems OK - I received a message about the campaign being complete when I was near Malmedy, and then the mission ended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in friendly territory...  congratulations! :salute:

 

Thanks for the testing. You’ve pointed out more areas for improvement than everyone else combined! If I had a prize for you, you earned it, but I would guess you already own everything IL2 Great Battles that exists.

 

Why no TC though?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finished your campaign yesterday. I would have paid for it... really good and immersive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LF_Tigre91 said:

Finished your campaign yesterday. I would have paid for it... really good and immersive.

 

Yes, you would have... Except that Jason is a very generous guy and decided to give it to everyone. And Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2020 at 12:00 AM, norsetto said:

Is there a way to disable the red smoke markers on target, short of removing it manually from all the missions that use it?

 

?

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, Jaegermeister said:

Back in friendly territory...  congratulations! :salute:

 

Thanks for the testing. You’ve pointed out more areas for improvement than everyone else combined! If I had a prize for you, you earned it, but I would guess you already own everything IL2 Great Battles that exists.

 

Why no TC though?

 

Thanks! Glad to help you out. The campaign really is a lot of fun and captures well the sorts of missions those guys were flying at that time. 

 

As for why no TC - I just don't have the time to spare for it at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Full review will come later but I wanted to get people to have a look at this campaign as the first three missions I've flown have been excellent! Thanks for putting it together. The custom skins also really add a ton to the atmosphere.

 

https://stormbirds.blog/2020/07/04/the-first-three-missions-of-the-il-2-lightning-strikes-campaign/

I'm really liking the variation of targets and tactics needed to approach successfully. The mission against the panzer convoy really annoyed me, until I loaded up 6x500 pounders. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jägermeister & Team, RULE!

 

I had my hawk eyes on this from the first day! Thank you so much for your outstanding work. Never saw the skin package until I read about it on Stormbirds. Gorgoues! Striegler´s wallet is open 24/7 for you guys. Much love & always on the lookout for more*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Full review will come later but I wanted to get people to have a look at this campaign as the first three missions I've flown have been excellent! Thanks for putting it together. The custom skins also really add a ton to the atmosphere.

 

Thanks and Your welcome, Thanks for writing about it. You should have plenty of opportunity to explore a variety of missions. There is a little bit of everything except escort.

 

I’ll look forward to some more stories after you get to fly a few more missions.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well i thought id have ago at this....

i disabled the technochat, turned off the players messages, and listened to the comms.

What a blast, great fun and very immersive.

I used the custom skins as well,

Circling the airfield after a mission waiting to hear your call sign so you can land adds that little bit extra.

Very well done..

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm glad you guys are enjoying it.

 

I have been led to believe that the cut off radio messages from ground control and the forward observers has been repaired. That should make it all the more enjoyable. I have not had a chance to test it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed in the Lightning Strikes campaign that I'm half way though the missions are playing a bit weird since this update came out.

 

The flight leader seems to slow down a lot on route to the mission. I have to throttle back to 20% throttle so I don't overshoot.

 

Then when I did the next mission where I was flight leader, the rest of my flight turned back to base before we arrived at the target.

 

I'm curious if its the update which has destabilized these missions...

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, =RS=Funkie said:

 

I'm curious if its the update which has destabilized these missions...

 

The missions aren’t unstable, but it does sound like there has been a change to the AI behavior. I guess we will have to see if other missions and campaigns are affected too.

 

I noticed yesterday in a Spitfire mission I was playing that the flight leader slowed down to 140 mph after the second waypoint when he should have been increasing speed to 250 mph. I overshot, had to do S turns to stay even, and then he sped back up to 250 a couple of minutes later, leaving me behind to try and catch up

 

i will do some more testing and see if I get more of the same issues with other missions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/20/2020 at 6:38 AM, =RS=Funkie said:

I've noticed in the Lightning Strikes campaign that I'm half way though the missions are playing a bit weird since this update came out.

The flight leader seems to slow down a lot on route to the mission. I have to throttle back to 20% throttle so I don't overshoot.

 

Apparently the AI planes now follow the speed set to the waypoints. The speed for the player flight is a little low so they are going about 50 kph under normal cruise settings. That's probably what is causing the problem you noticed. I have updated the waypoint settings and I will submit revised files for the next game update.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2020 at 10:33 PM, Jaegermeister said:

 

Apparently the AI planes now follow the speed set to the waypoints. The speed for the player flight is a little low so they are going about 50 kph under normal cruise settings. That's probably what is causing the problem you noticed. I have updated the waypoint settings and I will submit revised files for the next game update.

 

Thanks for a great work! Just a comment on this. My flight leader is constantly speeding up and then bleed off speed in a repetitive pattern while enroute. No big problem and it doesn't happen at climb out or at the target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frosen said:

 

Thanks for a great work! Just a comment on this. My flight leader is constantly speeding up and then bleed off speed in a repetitive pattern while enroute. No big problem and it doesn't happen at climb out or at the target.

 

Your welcome.

 

We will see how it works out after the files are updated, but after adjusting the waypoints from 360 kph to 400 kph it should fix the issue.    Before the AI change, it didn't matter what you set the WPs to, the AI went at normal cruise power. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My throttles will not work in the p-38. Any suggestions. I have the throttle key mapped O.K.    This only happens in {lighting Strikes]        Thank You..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 1111mark*norma* said:

My throttles will not work in the p-38. Any suggestions. I have the throttle key mapped O.K.    This only happens in {lighting Strikes]        Thank You..

When you increase throttle, do you see the throttle lever in the P-38 cockpit move at all?

If you enable tech tips, do you see the throttle setting increasing in percentage when you use the keys to throttle up?

Because the P-38 is a dual engine aircraft, you may simply have to switch to both engines to ensure the throttle controls are active. There are a few keybindings related to switching between engines, and the throttle only works on 'active' engines.

Edited by RedKestrel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...