[Pb]Cybermat47

What are you looking forward to the most in Battle of Normandy?

Posted (edited)

What I'm looking most forward to are the three British planes (Spitfire Mk. XIV, Typhoon, Mosquito) and the channel map, which will give us users the opportunity to create early war scenarios.

I'm curious about what iteration of the Spitfire Mk. XIV we will receive. If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say we'll be getting the high back version with a C-wing, even though I hope for the devs to add an optional E-wing. Doubt we'll be seeing a low back with bubble canopy...

Edited by Fritz_X

I am looking forward to crossing the English Channel for missions.

Happy landings,

56RAF_Talisman

• Upvote 3

Some of the less obvious things that I am looking forward to a the prospective naval units that they may include, like Royal Navy warships, or another Mark of U-boat. Of course the main things for me are the aircraft, especially anything carrying 8 rp3 rockets.

Is there any release date rumours? I look forward to know what will be next expansion after bon. I know, I know, we dont even have bon yet but I am still curious.

On 5/19/2020 at 4:25 PM, 6./ZG26_Custard said:

Mosquito and 410. 

This guy knows 😄

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Mika_87 said:

Is there any release date rumours? I look forward to know what will be next expansion after bon. I know, I know, we dont even have bon yet but I am still curious.

Estimated is a Q4/2021 release earliest. After that (BoN), chances are high for another eastfront release (44/45 timeframe).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Naturally, as a 109 "pilot" I interested in seeing how the 109 G-6 Late performs. 

I am curious how the D-Day will be depicted in game. 

On 5/22/2020 at 4:53 AM, Monksilver said:

I always preferred Patton's view - "the object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his".

One of my favorite quotes. 

Another 109 naah. 
ok If any 109 ring a bell G6 is one of them. 
Do not ask me why. 
I am just happy they bring in more than hotrods this time

2 hours ago, sevenless said:

Estimated is a Q4/2021 release earliest. After that (BoN), chances are high for another eastfront release (44/45 timeframe).

Presumably content will be released before the release date to pre-orderers, like with previous games.

Just now, [Pb]Cybermat47 said:

Presumably content will be released before the release date to pre-orderers, like with previous games.

Sure, but that was not his question. We might get the first BoN plane, presumably P-47 Razorback end of June/early July. 

3 hours ago, Mika_87 said:

You will know when devs are sure. 
Jason was quite clear that he was monitoring this forum for getting a feel on what was wanted. He hesitate on the costly endeavors like bombers and PTO. 
this is why we bomber jockeys mention it is ok with a B26/25 with ai only gunners but with a bombardier cockpit as often as we possible can. 

• Upvote 1

I'm looking forward to see what planes are revealed for the collectors planes.  I'm hoping to see a Martlet for the allies....which would fuel further speculation about where the next theatre will be!

17 minutes ago, TP_Scram said:

I'm looking forward to see what planes are revealed for the collectors planes.  I'm hoping to see a Martlet for the allies....which would fuel further speculation about where the next theatre will be!

Collector aircraft are already named...

Battle of Normandy Plane-set: 

P-51B/C
P-47D “Razorback”
Typhoon Mk.Ib
Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI
Spifire Mk.XIV (Collector Plane)
C-47 Dakota (AI)
B-26 Marauder (AI)

Bf 109 G-6 “Late”
Fw 190 A-6
Ju 88 C-6a
Me 410
Ar 234 (Collector Plane)
V-1 Buzz Bomb (AI) 

2 minutes ago, Elem said:

Collector aircraft are already named...

Battle of Normandy Plane-set: 

P-51B/C
P-47D “Razorback”
Typhoon Mk.Ib
Mosquito F.B. Mk.VI
Spifire Mk.XIV (Collector Plane)
C-47 Dakota (AI)
B-26 Marauder (AI)

Bf 109 G-6 “Late”
Fw 190 A-6
Ju 88 C-6a
Me 410
Ar 234 (Collector Plane)
V-1 Buzz Bomb (AI) 

Ah ok - well maybe additional planes like the Yak 9 and Hurricane then.  Fingers crossed.

7 hours ago, 71st_AH_Barnacles said:

Some of the less obvious things that I am looking forward to a the prospective naval units that they may include, like Royal Navy warships, or another Mark of U-boat. Of course the main things for me are the aircraft, especially anything carrying 8 rp3 rockets.

The late-war Type VIICs would be an interesting target. A tiny little boat with 4x20mm and 1x37mm AA guns.

Without understanding my own motivations in this,

the two BoN planes that get the adrenaline up for me are the 'Razorback' P-47 and Hurricane.

Particularly the 'Jug' whose release soon to come we hope, provides the Devs

an excellent opportunity to make tweaks or even major changes to the flight and damage model

of the 'Bubbletop' currently in game, particularly the popularly perceived fragility of the wings and a glass engine.

My understanding is that there are no eyewitness accounts ever of a R/L P-47 wing coming off.

It may have happened. But the pilot it happened to didn't live to report the event and no one else saw it.

So that DM could just be written out of the code entirely, a great simplification I would think.

I say this as the virtual RAF wing I fly with, 'The Tangmere Pilots', are starting a ''Thunderbolt' Campaign in September.

We would like to go into the Campaign feeling that some of us will survive it, which under the current DMs seem improbable.

Looking forward to the Hurricane and the P51B.  And just read Johnson's book, he sure was a fan of that "paddle prop" as he called it.

Super excited for the G6 late. Its like nothing else in the game and we really need it. I mean, its not like they could've made it a mod for the 109 g6 in game already... instead I get to essentially spend 10 dollers on a plane pretty much already in the game. I'm SUPER excited!!! Maybe next they'll give us 109 G-6/U4 as a premium plane for 20$ too! 

4 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Super excited for the G6 late. Its like nothing else in the game and we really need it. I mean, its not like they could've made it a mod for the 109 g6 in game already... instead I get to essentially spend 10 dollers on a plane pretty much already in the game. I'm SUPER excited!!! Maybe next they'll give us 109 G-6/U4 as a premium plane for 20$ too! 

New potential buyer to the series comes on the website and asks:

"New guy here, really interested in Normandy, what 109 can I fly if I buy just that title?"

Forum users: "Sorry, you'll have to buy the 109 separately if you want to fly it in Normandy."

"Err...okay?"

This is what people keep forgetting for some reason: not everyone has bought every title and or/standalone plane in the series. It would be totally foolish to not include a 109 in the base title, no matter how often people who have been here since day 1 want to say otherwise.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

What else do you propose they use to fill out the Axis roster for BON?

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Mika_87 said:

Way, way...WAY too early for that.

Problem lies in how they've done this. Had they released G6 alone with Normandy it would'nt be a problem. But now we're stuck with either making the G6 a prem plane (which it already is, but for BON which is a bit weird) or making it a base plane that your expected to pay for basically an mw50 mod and erla haube. Also who says I'm against adding a 109? Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I love the 109 and honestly I'd like every 109 produced in numbers in the game. But your basically paying for a mod for a plane we already have. Instead they could've added a 109 G6 with AS? That would actually be something much different then what we have in the game right now. And wouldn't just be a simple mod for the 109

19 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

What else do you propose they use to fill out the Axis roster for BON?

Again... A G6AS would do fine...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Problem lies in how they've done this. Had they released G6 alone with Normandy it would'nt be a problem. But now we're stuck with either making the G6 a prem plane (which it already is, but for BON which is a bit weird) or making it a base plane that your expected to pay for basically an mw50 mod and erla haube. Also who says I'm against adding a 109? Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I love the 109 and honestly I'd like every 109 produced in numbers in the game. But your basically paying for a mod for a plane we already have. Instead they could've added a 109 G6 with AS? That would actually be something much different then what we have in the game right now. And wouldn't just be a simple mod for the 109

Not to be rude but this seems like kind of a silly thing to get all flustered about 

That way Lukey you could still get BoN and the G6 "late". In place of the 109 in the base package of BoN they could add... anyone know? oh yea... a g6as

1 minute ago, 357th_Dog said:

Not to be rude but this seems like kind of a silly thing to get all flustered about 

Your probably right, but there are much smaller things internet forums have been fought over about then complaining about a product being sold which is already in the game at the expense of the consumer. 

3 minutes ago, 357th_Dog said:

Ya think?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Are we seriously frowning at me for pointing out the game is selling a modification for the 109 that is already in the game? 

My bad for pointing totally legitimate complaints and ruining your BoN experience. I see you were enjoying gushing about the latest expansion.

Edited by SCG_Sinerox

3 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Are we seriously frowning at me for pointing out the game is selling a modification for the 109 that is already in the game? 

I don't want to upset you, but many of the 109 models are nothing more than modifications of the previous model.

That said, my eyes glazed over and I checked out after....

Problem lies in how they've done this. Had they released G6 alone with Normandy it would'nt be a problem.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

New potential buyer to the series comes on the website and asks:

"New guy here, really interested in Normandy, what 109 can I fly if I buy just that title?"

Forum users: "Sorry, you'll have to buy the 109 separately if you want to fly it in Normandy."

"Err...okay?"

This is what people keep forgetting for some reason: not everyone has bought every title and or/standalone plane in the series. It would be totally foolish to not include a 109 in the base title, no matter how often people who have been here since day 1 want to say otherwise.

I can see the commercial logic of that but I guess the same could also be said about the Spitfire, but of the 3 versions that will be available 2 are collector's planes not standard. But the reality is the Allies had a greater range of fighter planes than the Germans and so the developers are limited by that, put it another way - don't blame the developers but the Luftwaffe for having no imagination and just churning out different versions of 109s.

34 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Seeing how far up in the schedule the G-6 Late is for BoN i'm hoping they are contemplating the extra time needed to model a DB 605 AS & ASM modification for it. Otherwise it would be pretty easy to make already having the base G-6 and G-14 available.

34 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Maybe devs will include AS engine as a mod?

But honestly strange problem if you are a Bf 109 enthusiast. I'd love to pay 10-20 € for each possible Spitfire Mark. Even if they have only "tiny" differences, like a early Spitfire F IX and a Spitfire LF IXc, a Spitfire LF Vc or a Spitfire XVI with tear-drop canopy. All these changes could as well be a mod.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

That way Lukey you could still get BoN and the G6 "late". In place of the 109 in the base package of BoN they could add... anyone know? oh yea... a g6as

Yes, the G-6/AS...a plane whose presence over Normandy was very, very small.

My point stands - it makes no sense to not include a commonly produced 109 in the base package, one that covers the whole time frame of the theater being simulated. The G-6 we already have did not meet that requirement - it only entered combat over the Kuban in mid-1943. So, that's why the G-4 was chosen.

47 minutes ago, SCG_Sinerox said:

Your probably right, but there are much smaller things internet forums have been fought over about then complaining about a product being sold which is already in the game at the expense of the consumer. 

I seem to recall no one griping like this when the Bf 109 G-14 was released for the original Il-2, since we already had the G-6 Late. It was the same scenario, just in reverse.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, the G-6/AS...a plane whose presence over Normandy was very, very small.

My point stands - it makes no sense to not include a commonly produced 109 in the base package, one that covers the whole time frame. The G-6 we already have did not meet that requirement - it only entered combat over the Kuban in mid-1943. So, that's why the G-4 was chosen.

I assume the "whining" for AS/ASM engine is mainly caused by the "average" performance that the Bf 106 G6 with a regular DB605 engine will have compared to the relatively strong opposition in early/mid 1944. The allied fighters in early/mid 1944 have mostly the same - or even slightly more - performance compared to what we have now in end 1944/1945. 

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper

I really wish they would distinguish between "premium planes that come with the premium version of the game with Collector Planes that you buy separably from any game. It is confusing "in" the store and it can be confusing here. I knew what the person was asking about by context, but i totally get why you would think otherwise. 

---

You have to have at least one German fighter and it is my understanding that it was a different; it had the Erla Hood, and a larger tail (according to Wikipedia). It doesn't appear to be a simple modification to me. According to the same article, it was the second most produced variant. (tied with the other G-6). There is a slightly earlier "late G-6) with just the addition of the Erla Hood, but these would have been phased out by the later one by the time of Normandy. (Guessing, I am not an expert). 

Posted (edited)

I personally want the ASM as mod because it gives the option for a decent late war high altitude 109 other than the K-4, so more flexible for earlier mission timeframes and for actual BoBP late missions since it was one of the mainstay 109 variants, and unlike the K-4 it's not an overall upgrade since it sacrifices a bit of low altitude performance compared to the regular G-6 MW 50 / G-14.

Edited by -=PHX=-SuperEtendard
  • Upvote 4

Mosquito and the 410, and the Tiffie of course!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, SYN_Ricky said:

Mosquito and the 410, and the Tiffie of course!

All good stuff. Add the Spit XIV on top.

10 hours ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

I assume the "whining" for AS/ASM engine is mainly caused by the "average" performance that the Bf 106 G6 with a regular DB605 engine will have compared to the relatively strong opposition in early/mid 1944. The allied fighters in early/mid 1944 have mostly the same - or even slightly more - performance compared to what we have now in end 1944/1945. 

AS/ASM 109 would be the perfect collector plane. It was present in large numbers in 2nd half of 1944 onwards and THE 109 for the Defense of the Reich Hoehengruppen.

Edited by sevenless
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Although it's good that the plane sets aren't entirely made up of rare planes, simply selecting the most common planes is also in a sense unrepresentative.

AS engined 109s were a significant part of the LW, so it'd be good to have at least one in the sim.

If you went by the logic of only having the most common planes there wouldn't be a Tempest or a Mark 14 spitfire, just an early and a late Mark 9, and possibly two versions of the typhoon.

Edited by 71st_AH_Barnacles
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 3