16 hours ago, sevenless said:

Some additional stuff from Mellinger, George. Yakovlev Aces of World War 2 (Aircraft of the Aces) . Bloomsbury Publishing. Kindle-Version.

LOL, 9 of those skins are official defaults in the game.

Just now, ROTER_BART said:

LOL, 9 of those skins are official defaults in the game.

Yep. I posted those skins 8 hours before release of the patch. Didn´t know that they draw so much from that book.

1 hour ago, namhee2 said:

YAK 9 for the Normandy map:fly:

nn.jpg

Régiment Normandie Niemen Yak-3

20 Juin 1945

Le Bourget

Near Paris (Lindberg Landed here)

Now there is Le Musée de l'Air with a preserved Yak3

Edited by Obelix
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Completely different layout.  The texture mapping layout on the older planes is very inefficient, for example the La5 and La5FN both have massive amounts of unused space and also have a lot of secondary components such as UC struts and tyres on the main texture.  Newer models such as the 190D, Tempest and P51 all use the maximum space available for the main diffuse (skin).

So a 4K skin on the new Yak will always look sharper than on the old ones.

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1
On 5/21/2020 at 4:13 PM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am itching to make some skins for the Yak-9s but it usually takes months to get a template 😞

I have the official template and will get it cleaned up and ready for public release by the end of next week at the latest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 6
19 minutes ago, ICDP said:

I have the official template and will get it cleaned up and ready for public release by the end of next week at the latest.

Wow.  Great news.  Thanks.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, Danziger said:

Here is a link to the templates converted to xcf for Gimp users.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5hzw52r0o30aqtn/Yak9sGimp.7z/file

Also, @ICDP there is something going on in the Shade layer that is messing with the spinning prop spinner. The stationary spinner works but then the fast spinning spinner turns very dark.

Yep. I just turned off that layer and it's fine. The spinner is a bit on the shiny side. Maybe that layer was supposed to go on the Alpha. I don't know. i just turned it off and it's fine. 

2020-5-26-4-9-8.png

2020-5-26-5-33-35.png

Link: 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5fzpbfcxojioikr/normandie_niemen.7z/file

Edited by Jaws2002
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hanu said:

Thanks Danziger! That is really pity if these templates start to be .psb's that you cannot open in Gimp.

It's just a format for really large files. Even the xcf files are huge.

9 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Strange, the format of those templates are in .psb, not .psd

Impossible to save some skins in .bmp format

I did debate weather to convert to PSD and drop to 8bit to facilitate saving in BMP, but I left choice down to the skinners.  PSB give the option of saving files over 2GB.  Just one of those trade offs.

1 hour ago, Danziger said:

Here is a link to the templates converted to xcf for Gimp users.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/5hzw52r0o30aqtn/Yak9sGimp.7z/file

Also, @ICDP there is something going on in the Shade layer that is messing with the spinning prop spinner. The stationary spinner works but then the fast spinning spinner turns very dark.

Apologies, I had a check and I left it on normal mode instead of Pin Light.  Change it on both Yak 9 and Yak 9T templates.  Though don't delete or you lose the spinning prop

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Danziger said:

It's just a format for really large files. Even the xcf files are huge.

Sure they are. But if you cannot use those, it's all the same if they were gay pr0n. You must hope that somebody converts those to you.

And I thank you for that.

Edited by Hanu
10 minutes ago, ICDP said:

I did debate weather to convert to PSD and drop to 8bit to facilitate saving in BMP, but I left choice down to the skinners.  PSB give the option of saving files over 2GB.  Just one of those trade offs.

Apologies, I had a check and I left it on normal mode instead of Pin Light.  Change it on both Yak 9 and Yak 9T templates.  Though don't delete or you lose the spinning prop

Ok, I understand, but it's a bad new for ma, because I can not save skins in BMP and convert them in DDS with DXTBmp

And If I convert psb to psd it does not work too, and it take times to save

Sorry for being thick but are we saying that the official Yak-9 skins will not be made available as PSDs as the rest are? 

If that is the case then what do I need to do to get it into a state where I can use Photoshop as I usually do?

EDIT: Managed to get the files open by downloading the latest version of Gimp and saved as PSD.   Sorry, the posts above made me think that was no longer possible.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

@ICDP there is something odd going on with the AMT-12 layer as well.

Edit: Actually that is on all the color layers AMT-4, AMT-6, AMT-7, AMT-11, and AMT-12.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Danziger

Do not change those :)

The newer skins are painted directly onto the 3D model.  When they are unwrapped into 2D they sometimes have issues at mapping join lines.  In order to eliminate join lines the camo layers have to be extended using the Photoshop Dilate tool.  If you need to make your own camo layers just make sure to extend beyong the 3D mapping texture in the wireframe map.

Edited by ICDP
  • Thanks 2
21 hours ago, ICDP said:

Do not change those :)

The newer skins are painted directly onto the 3D model.  When they are unwrapped into 2D they sometimes have issues at mapping join lines.  In order to eliminate join lines the camo layers have to be extended using the Photoshop Dilate tool.  If you need to make your own camo layers just make sure to extend beyong the 3D mapping texture in the wireframe map.

Is the alpha read differently by the Yaks? I noticed that I need much brighter shades of grey to get a matt finish on these and the metal chips have to be almost white to be shiny.

Here is a set of skins like I was working on above but instead of my wife's name, it has a popular GPW Soviet slogan "Za Rodinu" in the same style. I also made my own spiral spinner (previously just cut and paste from the default skin) so I can change the colors.

Edit: These look different in game than in the viewer. I will post again when I do some more twerking with the alpha. Not sure how I am feeling about it.

Edit: Here are the finished skins

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hd4fjcinueavtpi/4kDanziger_ZaRodinu_Green.dds/file

http://www.mediafire.com/file/87i897r9gjfpxm6/4kDanziger_ZaRodinu_Grey.dds/file

2020_5_28__17_0_13.jpg

2020_5_28__17_0_28.jpg

2020_5_28__17_1_43.jpg

2020_5_28__17_3_58.jpg

2020_5_28__17_6_17.jpg

2020_5_28__17_7_10.jpg

2020_5_28__17_7_31.jpg

2020_5_28__17_10_17.jpg

2020_5_28__17_11_17.jpg

Edited by Danziger
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've noticed with the alpha on this one that you have to shift all your grey shades much much brighter. There is also a lot more difference in shine with just a little difference in values. I did manage to take off some of the sparkling bling of the metal chips that was a bit much. Especially around the exhaust area that would be covered in very matt soot.