ShamrockOneFive

Stormbirds Podcast episode featuring Jason Williams coming this Friday

Excellent timing. I had just spent a a bi of yesterday searching through stormbirds.blog thinking I had somehow missed it.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blooddawn1942 said:

Would be interesting to know, if FC has any future. I doubt that but any spark of hope would be great. 

Probably better than Tank Crew, as FC reached a release state.

Guess all depends on their return on investment they got on it.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Excited to listen to the podcast while at work. Should make my half day of work much more tolerable.

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2020 at 8:43 PM, ShamrockOneFive said:

Coming this Friday

It's Friday!

Guys,

I don't know how much you'll enjoy this chat. I was amped up on my drug of choice (caffeine), but my delivery is so halted (ummm, ummm) I think senility is setting in. I sound as nasally as Mitt Romney and I stammer on like Joe Biden. Also,, our mic levels are not even. My mic is way too hot and it over powers Colin. Sorry dude. Need to invest in a better mic for sure. 

Oh and at 37:28 I make the ultimate sin and refer to the big gun in the Yak-9 as a 40mm. Duh, obviously I should have said 37mm, but I believe I was thinking of the 40mm option for the Hurricane we are working on. Again, senility is setting in.

Thanks Colin for the chat. Keep up the good work. 

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7
  • Haha 7
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

I don't know how much you'll enjoy this chat. I was amped up on my drug of choice (caffeine), but my delivery is so halted (ummm, ummm) I think senility is setting in. I sound as nasally as Mitt Romney and I stammer on like Joe Biden. Also,, our mic levels are not even. My mic is way too hot and it over powers Colin. Sorry dude. Need to invest in a better mic for sure. 

Oh and at 37:28 I make the ultimate sin and refer to the big gun in the Yak-9 as a 40mm. Duh, obviously I should have said 37mm, but I believe I was thinking of the 40mm option for the Hurricane we are working on. Again, senility is setting in.

Jason

Not a problem but thanks for the heads up!

1 hour ago, So_ein_Feuerball said:

11 AM EDT, so in a few minutes! 

Have I missed it somewhere? I'm not seeing it.

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

Jason

We're not females expecting Barry White.....

Info on future il2 goodies we starve upon🤣

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

Guys,

I don't know how much you'll enjoy this chat.

I understand your concern mentioned in the "Briefing Room and Officers Club" that talking about difficulties can allow some people in the forums to latch onto the negatives... but overall I think it builds understanding to hear about the challenges inherent in such an ambitious project (and often the degree of ambition in these sims isn't emphasized enough and is taken for granted).

Suffice it to say that, I suspect I speak for a lot of us when I say - we're happy for the little bits of insight, information, and a chance to learn about the team/project - and mic quality or the occasional small misquoting of a caliber (etc.) is really secondary to that!

• Upvote 2

Thanks everyone for the support and thanks to @Jason_Williams for taking part! I hope we were able to answer at least some of your questions! Again, if you guys like the overall format we'll keep working on the technology side of things and maybe do another Q&A sometime in the near future on some different topics.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

Good to hear Jason giving out lots of positive comments on what he sees as possibilities in the future!

So does that mean a DD with some razorback flying in the game pics are coming soon?

Also, I really do not think anyone would have a problem with the guys making reasonable "educated guesses" when making Japanese planes. I think at this point most people know that is the best that can be expected given the lack of available information. As long as they are up front about what is being based on best guesses, I don't think anyone could hold it against them. 

It is always great to hear Jason talking about the state of the game and the team. It is good to hear how enthusiastic he is. 

Posted (edited)

That new type of player already exists in games i played online since 2011 or even before, in SEOW campaigns in Il-2 1946, in SoW or ACG campaigns in IL-2 clod and even in Il-2 GB, maybe guy working on Air Marshal could try to join ACG guys on ts3 and check out how it works in real gameplay when you have guys whos main job is controling flights. I realy dont see what will this air marshal bring that alrady is not done buy people who wont to do it that way, in normal DF servers i dont see it even being used, i just hope it dosent make load on servers more then we have now and its not forced to all, and its done with understanding what guys playing MP need, not some SP guy who dont play MP thinks MP guys wont.

Edited by CountZero
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CountZero said:

That new type of player already exists in games i played online since 2011 or even before, in SEOW campaigns in Il-2 1946, in SoW or ACG campaigns in IL-2 clod and even in Il-2 GB, maybe guy working on Air Marshal could try to join ACG guys on ts3 and check out how it works in real gameplay when you have guys whos main job is controling flights. I realy dont see what will this air marshal bring that alrady is not done buy people who wont to do it that way, in normal DF servers i dont see it even being used, i just hope it dosent make load on servers more then we have now and its not forced to all, and its done with understanding what guys playing MP need, not some SP guy who dont play MP thinks MP guys wont.

Our Marshall gives somebody like the guys in ACG more tools which are built into the sim. And I said in the interview it was an optional feature. Don't be so negative all the time.

And it's not a new concept, I never said that, but it is new to us and I don't think anyone has built the tools we are building for such a role. If users don't like it fine, but no harm in trying to innovate.

Jason

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 7

Always great to hear from members of the team in this type of interview, thank you very much to all involved in this particular one, really appreciated.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Enjoyable Q&A session. I am frankly amazed as to how much is being achieved, especially in the current times. VR is just getting better and better and IL-2 has the best implementation of it by far in my opinion. I’m looking forward to the Mosquito and other aircraft in the Normandy release. Keep up the great work Devs!

Really great interview, thnx to both of you, Jason and Colin!

One of my two questions got answered, flyable B-25, i'm really glad to hear it's possible to happen as i'm sure it will expand perception on il2 hugely!

Would pay nice money for it!

Also didn't expect PTO problematics being explained that well, thanks!

My second question didn't get answered but that's fine, i wanted to know is there any plans to add torpedo modification to BoN bombers or existing ones since PTO is questionable.

@Jason_Williams you said you maybe made a mistake aiming TC for MP multicrew market since there is a bigger demand for SP.

I wouldn't take it as done deal and maybe it's too early!

Suggestion to achieve that goal: 

-make a lobby when player enters the server he'll see avialable tanks and nonoccupied slots in those tanks so anyone can pick and join anyone.

-ingame radio comms, so crew doesn't need to use 3rd party tool and gather or know each other before they enter server and game.

I don't own TC nor i'm interested in it, didn't want to buy it to give false impression regarding game direction but when funds allow i sure will buy it from pure support to the team!

On PTO problematics, nice to hear that you keep working on research and i hope it will be next in line after BoN or at some point.

I agree carrier ops should be first goal!

But i don't care did rear gunner had radio and how gunner pit looked like, we're here primarily cos of flying planes so as long FM is nicely done and even some details are educated guess i'm perfectly fine with it.

Having 3 pto flyable planes per side in expansion/standalone still justifies the full price and would be cool to have as it will provide additional gameplay features that we don't have now.

Also i wouldn't bother much about ships research and historical accuracy as we don't mann them.

Great interview, i will go and preorder me a Hurricane as a thank you!😅

Posted (edited)

It wasn't asked about but, regarding single player, I'd be very curious if:

- There are any long term plans to improve ground target variety (e.g. use semi-procedural design to combine templates to create slightly different layouts of standard sets of objects around an airfield)?

- There are any plans to improve the quick mission builder (e.g. more templates, ability to save missions, ability to save gun convergences for each aircraft separately). Similarly, any time skip feature that could shorten mission lengths to 10-15 minutes.

Edited by Avimimus

Great interview - Thank you both for putting this together for us!

Great Podcast. Very interesting news. Thanks for making it happen.

Posted (edited)

I advise for such a podcast on a relative common time table. 
I found this podcast very informative and helpful. One can hear the devotion and ambitions. One accept the boundaries and problems. Also the respectful and supportive talk about your team was a good thing.  One can much easier understand talk than written word. I myself need this reminder at least twice a year. 
Many thanks

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 2

That was a great and very interesting Podcast indeed!   :good:

My heartful thanks to both of you.

Thanks both Shamrock and Jason for taking the time!!

My biggest takeaway was the last bit about the Pacific potentially being a separate game.

First I thought it was odd but after thinking about it it sounds like a genius move.

You get rid of all the assumptions that have been built with BoX, such as 5+5 plane model, or that all modules are compatible and built on the same game.

New model with maybe fewer planes, potentially new engine, different features, all of that can be tested without bringing down what's been built so far. If it flops it's a standalone project.

Obviously I would love a potential Pacific setting to be part of BoX but I'm open to the new concept.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Thanks both Shamrock and Jason for taking the time!!

My biggest takeaway was the last bit about the Pacific potentially being a separate game.

First I thought it was odd but after thinking about it it sounds like a genius move.

You get rid of all the assumptions that have been built with BoX, such as 5+5 plane model, or that all modules are compatible and built on the same game.

New model with maybe fewer planes, potentially new engine, different features, all of that can be tested without bringing down what's been built so far. If it flops it's a standalone project.

Obviously I would love a potential Pacific setting to be part of BoX but I'm open to the new concept.

But then how will we use the P40 and P38 and B25 and C47 and P51 and stuff in the Pacific?

23 minutes ago, Danziger said:

But then how will we use the P40 and P38 and B25 and C47 and P51 and stuff in the Pacific?

Depending on the engine, they could port them over in a similar way to RoF -> FC.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Dear Jason,

I was listening to you interview with full attention until 2am. It was very interesting and some answers gave hope about incoming content we all want.

First of all, I would like to thank you for a move that I have personally been asking in various occasions. That is the selling of Collector Planes with one kind of content/context to make them morr attractive to us buyers. The free scripted campaign featuring the P38 together with the unforgiveable sale price of less than 5$ is what I was asking for. One should be completely crazy not to get the P38 Lightning right now. For me ... well I already have it but the free Scripted Campaign is more than welcome.

I beg you to consider something similar with the new collector planes, Ya9, Yak9T and Hurricane. The price is too high for me even now. It' s 45$ for the three of them and soon 60$ after the sales. If you compare that to the special price of BOBP right now ....

I really would like to get them but the price has to go down. What about a bundle of the 3 aircraft for 30$? Or throwing in some free scripted campaign or mini map (Lapino style). These are just some ideas, take your time and think it over.

Regarding the Pacific ... I was one of the disappointed when Normandy was announced. I publicly said that I wouldn't buy BON. But after some of the latest cool updates 4.005 and the incoming 4.006, now released, I got so excited that I finally bought Normandy to support the sim. I was glad to hear that you are determined to do the Pacific in the future. I didn't like the idea of as a separate game outside the present engine game. I would like all the aircraft we have now to be able to interact with each other.

How I would do it? I would create the Wildcat (Marlet), the Dauntless and any other plane that was present in the ETO. This way it would be a step forwards to the future Pacific expansion. You have all the info about those Amerucan planes and therefore is feasible. How to integrate them .... well, collector planes or a mini expansion in a European area where these warbirds were active. I need some research here ... maybe, just an all water map protecting convoys would also be a way to start implementing future PTO content, aircraft carrier, torpedoes, mines, etc.

Well, I will finish this long post by saying that I have been an active supporter of IL2GBS for a long time. My former tag was Spartan and I have not only purchased almost all the available content, but also I worked with Black Six in helping him create the Spanish 15.Span and other minor texts for BOBP.  I know it is not much but it was my two cents contribution to this wonderful community.

As many other here, I love this sim and I want the best of it. Please, do not rush in an answer and think about my humble suggestions.

Thanks for your time reading this post and take care.

Edited by =gRiJ=Roman-

Well, after the podcast... My hope to the new Pacific theatre ♥️, FC 2 ♥️♥️♥️ and maybe new TC for Normandy is still alive. And if we will have B25, B26 and C47 for players... Mmmm it will be the Nirvana. Ofcourse we need to wait - and I will wait. 

Only two my cents - for me is not very important if will the Midway (or PTO in general) in the same engine like fantastic Great Battle series or modified or new. Im damn sure that the quality of the Pacific will be excellent like in IL2:GB series. Well im waiting - and i will wait. 

The most interesting part for me was the conversation about the Pacific. This is undoubtedly a delicate matter, which certainly requires proper planning. And if it doesn't stand yet, it shouldn't be rushed!  
Since the sources are more than meagre, I have no problem in accepting such assumptions. If there are five or six magazines or if the radio was installed on the left or right side, nobody cares* in the end. But I wonder how different model building companies get their information about the cockpits.:scratch_one-s_head:
I would also be open-minded about the concept of selling asymmetrical sets. Like Zero, Kate and Val (even if they would not be 100% accurate) and a few AI planes with a full set of American counterparts.  I could live with that all times compared to not having any Pacific in the GB series.
The only thing I wouldn't like is a split from the series. While it might have advantages, it would be like a kind of unloved child like CloD existing on the side. Especially since the biggest effect of having all parts combinable would be lost. And what would happen next? One year Pacific and one year GB in alternation? Or would the other series be discontinued? Of course these questions are purely hypothetical, but nevertheless important since this is about the future of the project and how it develops.

• Upvote 3

Regarding Jason's comments about the accuracy of some of the models, such as the rear gunner station:

I would be perfectly fine with a "best guess" approach for such minor details. My guess is that people spend a negligible amount of time in the rear gunner position and even less time looking around instead of looking down the gunsights. It's nice to look around and appreciate the great work the devs put to recreate those spaces (especially in VR) but the truth is that very little time is spent doing so.

At the end of the day, using the Aichi D3A 'Val' as an example, people want to have a dive bomber and a good cockpit, to feel the experience of what a Japanese pilot would have felt back then. 

I do understand that it will be Jason and the team facing of the backlash of a sometimes vicious customer base that seems to be very vocal about pointing out issues. So it is a lot easier to suggest this than actually getting it done and have people be happy about it. I do think that if you announce that XYZ parts of the plane are best interpretations from the get-go, setting those expectations will probably handle most of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I'd also go with the 'best guess'... if it meant getting a torpedo bomber, dive bomber, and spotter for both sides. However, I've also been quite annoyed with some of the DCS people assuming that Great Battles is somehow lower fidelity because it doesn't have a clickable cockpit (and because it is more affordable). So I can definitely see why branding or other solutions would be considered, along with some careful thought.

I'm not particularly keen on the engine being changed though - as we've seen with Rise of Flight/Flying Circus... we can end up with a lot of content not benefiting from engine improvements. That said, the need to update existing content raises the costs of each new feature (e.g. the huge amount of work for the new damage model wouldn't exist if it was done only for BoN aircraft)!

So I could see how keeping all of the content up-to-date with engine improvements could require an expanding player base to generate more revenue and support a larger team... I guess it all comes down to how to attract and maintain that player base... it'd be fascinating to try to do some scientific research on this, as I've wondered about it... using polling to understand better what motivates people to stay and accumulate content...

• Upvote 2

If will not PTO (I fully understand the reasons given in the podcast) it would be nice for the next part of the Great Battles to be the Battle of France :)

• Like 1

Battle of France?... If you think getting all the technical info for Japanese planes was making life hard for the team, where on earth are you going to get that info on French fighters and bombers of the period?

4 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

Battle of France?... If you think getting all the technical info for Japanese planes was making life hard for the team, where on earth are you going to get that info on French fighters and bombers of the period?

Well, we do have the mirror technology in game 😉

6 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

In France maybe? 🙂 For example in the museum L´Air et de L´Espace as first? 😉

Great Podcast !

"Air Marchal" would be my ultimate dream-feature ... in any flight-sim.

I wouldn't be too worried about the possibility (!) of PTO using a different engine and no longer being part of GB ... that would make a lot of sense.

Moreover if they would discontinue IL-2 GB completely (as some might fear ... but I personally don't think this will ever happen) they might drive some European as well as Russian customers away ... not everyone is that focussed on the Pacific War history !

I am completely satisfied with everything being discussed ... we have a lot to look forward to en PTO is still very much out there ... as long as Jason is that crazy about it like he still seems to be ! 

Thanks Stormbirds and Jason

Jason about Great Battles series: "Sometimes it gets too big, it gets too bloated". This "bloated" product has 47 flyables and 6 maps. That's laughable.