Jump to content
216th_LuseKofte

Modified techchat

Recommended Posts

First, I bring this up because I do not like Using techchat. And this got nothing to do with previous whine choir about it
There is however some things techchat is the only thing that tell you what happening. 
in special with the A20 JU 87 IL 2 and selection of bomb to drop or rockets to fire. 
There are several reasons for using tech chat in weapon selection that I find myself having to use it. I wish for a separate weapon chat

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One solution would be an artificial 2D bomb switch panel for single crew aircraft, similar to the bombsight in multicrew bombers. It allows to arm/disarm the bombs, select drop single/pair/all mode and so on.

The bombsight key could be used to open the panel. This would reduce the necessary modelling work compared to an actual panel in the 3D model (sometimes not enough reference material might be available for this also)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

One solution would be an artificial 2D bomb switch panel for single crew aircraft, similar to the bombsight in multicrew bombers. It allows to arm/disarm the bombs, select drop single/pair/all mode and so on.

The bombsight key could be used to open the panel. This would reduce the necessary modelling work compared to an actual panel in the 3D model (sometimes not enough reference material might be available for this also)

It's a good idea, but unfortunately impossible to use for anyone flying close formation. It needs to be checkable without leaving the cockpit. 

 

Perhaps an audio feedback? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

It's a good idea, but unfortunately impossible to use for anyone flying close formation. It needs to be checkable without leaving the cockpit. 

 

Perhaps an audio feedback? 

 

Yes thats an issue. Of course best option would be to have it in 3d model, would solve all issues. But this would be hard to look at in close formation, too.

 

Audio feedback is of course totally unrealistic and also requires a lot of work due to different languages and multiple people are involved. It's also hard to maintain (if you add another message you need several speakers again, while 2d Panel can be changes by one artist in an afternoon).

Also a spoken message in russian/german without subtitle will not be helpful for most players. So this would just move the message from technochat to normal chat ...

 

But maybe devs were aware of the issue and already have a solution in place?

Edited by 41Sqn_Skipper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 41Sqn_Skipper said:

 

Audio feedback is of course totally unrealistic 

 

Why do you think this? 

Certainly for the A20, such controls are in the bombardier's station and the bombardier has a two way audio connection to the pilot. 

I suspect the arrangement is similar in other medium and heavy bombers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

 

Why do you think this? 

Certainly for the A20, such controls are in the bombardier's station and the bombardier has a two way audio connection to the pilot. 

I suspect the arrangement is similar in other medium and heavy bombers. 

 

Of course in the A20 it would be a good solution. But there you can already use the bombsight to see the bomb selection (not sure about fuse though), so it's less of an issue. In other planes you have no way at all to see this kind of information, so the issue is more urgent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of the 3 planes you mention, only the A20 has no cockpit reference for pylon mounted ordnance.

As stated this was done by the bomb aimer.

Maybe a solution would be to include rocket/bomb order selection, drop interval etc... on the settings page,

with the convergence, timer and selected loadout.

So you can pre-select before you start..

Obviously some planes will have the added advantage of being able to change this 'on the fly'.

But i wonder how many times they actually changed this once they had taken off IRL?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its been a while I flown other planes than what we use in coops twice a week. 
My memory fails me on why  I felt using tech chat  but there where quite a few things on different planes. 
I think like in DCS on multicrew verbal notice from bombardier is a good idea. 
I never really found servers using gps as none realistic either on bombers. You had a navigator you had help. 
I do not mind people using tech chat but my pit is laid up for not needing it. Other than for weapons. And tech chat kind of annoy me. Also if you like to dis arm the bombs or accidentally do you wont know without tech chat. 
If it will be server option some problems will rise 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, 216th_LuseKofte said:

 I wish for a separate weapon chat

Luse, I propose an alternative.

Was there an indicator in real life?  If so it should be visible to the appropriate party ( pilot, bombardier, or both).

If not, why not have the selection be as it was in real life?  How did it really work?  I didn't see that in your post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

While i agree, a solution will need to be found,

In my option the ability for the server to now disable the technochat far out-ways  whether you can see what order you drop the bombs in or fire the rockets on a couple of aircraft.

After all, you could just write it down and count how many times you press the keyboard key! (that's how i do it!)

I suppose separate key bindings for each may help, Ctrl+1 for belly first, Ctrl+2 for wing first, Ctrl+3 for single drop, Ctrl+4 for pairs, Ctrl+5 for all, for example?

I'm just glad that after 7 years of asking the unfair advantage some have when using the technochat has been removed..

And for that i thank the Devs...

Edited by JG5_Schuck
added text
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just press V in the planes that don't have a visible feedback to enter the bombing panel,:it contains selectors for both bombs to drop and intervals, along a display of ordnance type and numbers still on board...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ACG_Alexmarine said:

Just press V in the planes that don't have a visible feedback to enter the bombing panel,:it contains selectors for both bombs to drop and intervals, along a display of ordnance type and numbers still on board...

No offence here guys, but I think that this is pretty much a comedy in this game. To begin with, the pilots on most bombers appear to be the bombardiers (only plane here in the game with that actually was the Arado 234), when in reality the Nose or Top Gunners were the the bombardiers as well; some planes like the A-20, Wellington, Pe-8, etc. did have a bombardier, totally separate from one of the gunners.

 

The bomb sight featured is borrowed from RoF. Okay, fair enough when the game first came out, but right now, they need to change this so it's more like the IL-2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover way with OPB, Lofte, Norden, etc.

 

Salute

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Novice-Flyer said:

The bomb sight featured is borrowed from RoF. Okay, fair enough when the game first came out, but right now, they need to change this so it's more like the IL-2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover way with OPB, Lofte, Norden, etc.

 

 

And they should finally give us the A20's bombadier station. Even if it is only the mod version for recon and navigation purposes.

The detailed fusing options of the late il2 46  4.11.

Edited by [DBS]El_Marta
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JG51_Beazil said:

Luse, I propose an alternative.

Was there an indicator in real life?  If so it should be visible to the appropriate party ( pilot, bombardier, or both).

If not, why not have the selection be as it was in real life?  How did it really work?  I didn't see that in your post.

In cod there where a light in the stuka. That appeared when bombs where armed. But you had to use tech chat on others. 
I just assume there is no realistic option. 
I just point out there are some setback not using tech chat

4 hours ago, Novice-Flyer said:

No offence here guys, but I think that this is pretty much a comedy in this game. To begin with, the pilots on most bombers appear to be the bombardiers (only plane here in the game with that actually was the Arado 234), when in reality the Nose or Top Gunners were the the bombardiers as well; some planes like the A-20, Wellington, Pe-8, etc. did have a bombardier, totally separate from one of the gunners.

 

The bomb sight featured is borrowed from RoF. Okay, fair enough when the game first came out, but right now, they need to change this so it's more like the IL-2 1946 and Cliffs of Dover way with OPB, Lofte, Norden, etc.

 

Salute

I agree never was a fan for this simplified interphase. And I hate the fact they left out the one cockpit we really need and buildt two we can do without in the A 20. 
But both those issues are gonners , we have to live with that

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Definitely want some way to know about the fusing and non visible selectors in case of accidentally hitting a key by mistake.

A weapons tech chat, like the multiple engine selector 'tech chat' sort of thing, just something to avoid spending 40 minutes or so on a wasted flight because you accidentally hit your fuse key when putting your flaps up or whatever. Counting button presses is no good when you drop a pencil on your keyboard and don't know if it changed anything.

 

I was told you can assign the fuse to num lock or something so the light shows on your keyboard, a nice idea, but forces you to use that key which is a little inconvenient. I tend to not bother neutralising fuses at all, I don't know if it was possible on whatever planes; I'd like to only arm near the target (as something to do in a bomber), but it's not worth the risk of a wasted time in game . If you have anything more than the fuse toggle you want to track, then of course you will need more than the num lock light!

 

A weapons tech chat for those aircraft or functions that really need it would be a nice solution, or add in commands like you have to your wingmen 'fuse bombs',  'unfuse'. 

 

If it was a switchable thing that existed in real life in an aircraft , put it in the game...... if there is a visible indicator, then no weapons tech needed,... if it was done by a crew member then either add a voice for confirmation of it having been done ("bombs armed" etc.)  or, some tech chat to show it toggling.

 

(I think I gave up flying the Ju52 because there were some things that couldn't be worked out without tech chat or co-pilot input. might be wrong and maybe it changed)

 

 

 

Edited by John_Yossarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

There is however some things tech chat is the only thing that tell you what happening.

 

On a related matter the tech chat is used for information about RRR. Became interested in removing my tech chat but then realised that I would not receive any feedback about RRR. Such  as whether I had entered the RRR zone or how much fuel have been given so far. Would be good to be able to separate the RRR information from the tech chat (a "RRR Information Only" choice for the "ingame messages" setting)  so that I can disable one without loosing access the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Example of required tech chat is P40 rocket selector. I can't find any indicator inside the cockpit showing the current selection? (If anyone knows of one please share).

 

If there was no real life option to select rockets in flight then fine, but if there was it needs some indicator for the player. I often change rocket selector when I arrive at a target and can judge if there is any chance to stay around or best to fire all at one target and run.

 

(If it was a preflight option set by ground crew it would be nice to have that option before flight).

Edited by John_Yossarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, John_Yossarian said:

Example of required tech chat is P40 rocket selector. I can't find any indicator inside the cockpit showing the current selection? (If anyone knows of one please share).

 

If there was no real life option to select rockets in flight then fine, but if there was it needs some indicator for the player. I often change rocket selector when I arrive at a target and can judge if there is any chance to stay around or best to fire all at one target and run.

 

(If it was a preflight option set by ground crew it would be nice to have that option before flight).

There is a dial that is installed on all Russian aircraft that have rockets installed.  On the p-40 it is in front of the canopy handle on the right wall.  It will move for every rocket fired.  It will switch to the roman numeral II or IV if you change to firing 2 or 4 rockets and count from there.

Edited by Plurp
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Plurp said:

There is a dial that is installed on all Russian aircraft that have rockets installed.  On the p-40 it is front of the canopy handle on the right wall.  I will move for every rocket fired.  Switch to the roman numeral II or IV if you change to firing 2 or 4 rockets and count from there.

 

Excellent, fouund it! Had to turn cockpit lights on to see it at first though.

 

Funnily enough you can actually hear it clearly when at idle, just not when throttled up for flight (which is when I must have always used it before).

 

Thanks for the info. That was nealry as good as when I was told where the flap extender indicator is in the Mig.

 

Edited by John_Yossarian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...