FS-Sturmgeist

Self made Tank USB Controls

Just built this Controller for the Mechanized Infantry days when I don't feel like flying. 

Every button and switch has its function how ever a user see fits. The joystick is used for the turret controls. Up, down, left, right, zoom in and out, and of course FIRE. You can twist the joystick clock and counterclockwise for the zooming function. 

To move forward, reverse, left and right I used two three way mini toggle switches. I did that so I don't have to constantly hold down a button to accelerate. Meaning I have time and enough hands to do other things. Or maybe if I'm lucky, shooting an enemy while on the move.

I'm open for questions and if your interested in purchasing one PM me.

Take care 

20200515_143135.jpg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 4

We have some great community members making stuff like this.  What a cool project.  Thanks for sharing that.  :)

I once made something alike for foot controlling an 8 track tape recorder years ago. Was no USB then, just plain electric 5v switching.

I would like to know how to set up turret control for a warthog set. Can't (yet) even shoot etc. LoL

Do you use a Raspberry Pie or Arduino or how do you get it to interface with the computer?

Hi, 

check out the Leobodnar Website.

It will get you in trouble if your married lol. Lots of goodies and toys there. 

Kind regards

On 9/1/2020 at 8:19 AM, Alexander9822 said:

Do you use a Raspberry Pie or Arduino or how do you get it to interface with the computer?

Raspberry Pie is not good for joystick controller.

For Arduinos based on m/c ATMEGA32u4 (16 MHZz, 5v) or AT90USB just need flash - using the USB cable, with MMJoy2 firmware (developed by MegaMOZG, now VirPil electronics developer) and have a "joystick" controller with up to 8 axes (potmter, Hall sensor, magneto resistance sensor...), 1 POV HAT, 6 Encoders and up to 128 buttons (Button Matrix with diodes or Shift Register CD4021 or 74HC165).

Or an "Blue Phill" STM32F103 flashed with FreeJoy (topic there) have similar capabilities. Flash the firmware require an programmer cable (STLink, UART...).

Both cards cost less than $5.

Edited by Sokol1