OneGunnerUnder

Is the C-47 and B-17 flyable in the vanilla version?

So my goal is to use the mission builder to simulate bringing large aircraft such as the C-47 or B-17 to taxi, takeoff, and land at the same airstrip.

So far, I'm unable to spawn inside the aircraft. I can fly other aircraft fine (such as the A20 or TB-3).

Is it possible to fly the C-47 or B-17 without mods? I'm new to the game and still figuring things out.

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 9:48 PM, OneGunnerUnder said:

So my goal is to use the mission builder to simulate bringing large aircraft such as the C-47 or B-17 to taxi, takeoff, and land at the same airstrip.

So far, I'm unable to spawn inside the aircraft. I can fly other aircraft fine (such as the A20 or TB-3).

Is it possible to fly the C-47 or B-17 without mods? I'm new to the game and still figuring things out.

No - but "stock" IL2 46 4.14 does have a flyable B-24.....

...and there are plans to add the C-47 in the next Team Daidalos patch (if/when it comes out).

The B-24 is like a slightly lower altitude but more maneuverable (and different in all other ways) B-17... but, the point is that it was equally important to the 8th Airforce in Europe as a strategic heavy bomber... even if they didn't make a movie about one!

On 5/19/2020 at 12:54 PM, gn728 said:

No - but "stock" IL2 46 4.14 does have a flyable B-24.....

Actually since posting this, I wound up spending a bunch of time in the B-24 and the TB-3. I've been trying to get a better feel for using the radiator as well as the supercharger (for the B-24, that is).

20 hours ago, Avimimus said:

...and there are plans to add the C-47 in the next Team Daidalos patch (if/when it comes out).

That is exciting news! I look forward to it.

Posted (edited)

I helped make the B-24 but know nothing about the coding work. I can't keep the engines cool. One of the things I wish had been implemented was the tail buffeting when cowl flaps are too far open at speed, but that might have caused some arguments. An early version also tried a navigator position, but I think limited crew slots killed it. My favorite addition was the ability for 2 pilots, but it doesn't seem to get much use.

I'd love to fly that C-47 as well; I lean to crewing more than fighting.

Edited by buster_dee
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 8:15 AM, buster_dee said:

I helped make the B-24 but know nothing about the coding work. I can't keep the engines cool. One of the things I wish had been implemented was the tail buffeting when cowl flaps are too far open at speed, but that might have caused some arguments. An early version also tried a navigator position, but I think limited crew slots killed it. My favorite addition was the ability for 2 pilots, but it doesn't seem to get much use.

I'd love to fly that C-47 as well; I lean to crewing more than fighting.

I'm finding that the B-24 is a pleasure to fly. I also have trouble keeping the engines cool, however. Lately I've been using full power and boost to takeoff, then once I'm at cruising altitude I drop power to about 75 percent and open the radiators all the way, and of course I lose the boost. It seems to work ok.

A navigator position would be quite interesting. Didn't know about the second pilot option. Good to know.

*edit

As I'm still new to the game, is the second pilot option for the B-24 only available in multiplayer? As in, could I switch to the co-pilot seat in single player?

Edited by OneGunnerUnder

I haven't played it in a while, but I think co-pilot seat is for MP only. I see no options to assign both seats in the controls menu. But, it does appear in the MP menu seat selection. When the feature first came out, me and my bro played with it. The pilot could lock out the copilot partially (copilot could run engines, flaps, landing gear etc., but not control surfaces) or completely (in case he had a noisy controller that could mess up power, etc.). The controls seemed to work fine, but the gauges did not show the same for both players. Why do you say "and of course, lose the boost?" Some kind of boost would be appropriate at all heights. If you're wondering why I wandered off, Monguse (who I teamed with) was good with the 3D software; I sucked at it. I could make beautiful stuff, but he had to grind through converting it, and fixing what broke in the process. We lost Monguse a few years ago. Big shoes.

Well, I figured that the boost was apart of the overheating problem. Correct me if I'm wrong as I am still new to the game. I also only have my boost set to either 0 or 100 percent so I need to readjust my settings so I can increase/decrease in increments. I'm currently simming with keyboard/mouse and controller, so I don't have any type of throttle control with which to set the boost settings. Either way, it's nice talking to someone who worked on the B-24 portion of the game. It does fly nicely and it looks great in-game.

Maybe you're onto something. Too much boost causes detonation in RL, which also makes heat.

Hi Buster) could you check your PM please?)

ah ... and yes ...  C47 is on the way ...

d301cd59ab48869ab03964135a2c88d2.jpg

• Like 1

yep ... i wrote to you  few month ago actually)  

Avimimus, what did you mean about the B-24 being more maneuverable than the B-17? It's supposedly tougher to keep in formation (I guess the Davis twisted when over-corrected, then sprang back and made you chase it the other way). I'm not arguing--just interested in what way you mean it. I like it when buses act like sports cars.

On 6/10/2020 at 9:21 AM, Sita said:

Hi Buster) could you check your PM please?)

ah ... and yes ...  C47 is on the way ...

d301cd59ab48869ab03964135a2c88d2.jpg

That cockpit of yours sure looks beautiful Sita, really looking forward to seeing the release, that combined with the updated 3d of the aircraft should look truly awesome.:drinks:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

On 5/22/2020 at 6:15 AM, buster_dee said:

My favorite addition was the ability for 2 pilots, but it doesn't seem to get much use.

Imo, Having it only work in COOP mode did not help. Of course coding the B-24 for multi-crew in dogfight mode would have required reworking all the other multi-crew aircraft to work in dogfight mode too. No idea how time consuming it would have been to code them all nor how many planes had multi-stations that would have been affected. TB-3's, SBD's, D3A's, B5N's, IL-2's, Pe-2's, He-111's, Ju-87's, Ju-88's are all that come to mind without looking in game.

You would have also needed to code the pits to allow you to "lock" them to keep people from joining your aircraft without your permission.

Wheels