Han

Developer Diary 251 - Discussion

I'm extremely happy about tecnochat!!! ūüėĄ¬†but PLEASE PLEASE consider to leave messages (or maybe voice messages?) to tell us what the bomb drop modes are in planes like the A-20 that dont have such an indicator¬†in the pilots view

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, RedKestrel said:

Oiling your Jugs before you go out in the sun doesn't provide enough protection, you need at least SPF 50 sunscreen to be safe.

Seemed to work fine for HULK HOGAN et.al. ūüėĀ

Fantastic work! Once more my hopes are surpaced by the reality in offer by the team of IL2.

Thanks and keep save and healthy.  :salute:

Can anybody with a keen eye regarding the Yak-9s say which of the Pictures are Yak-9 and which are Yak-9T?

The only tells i know are the Position of the cockpit (Further back on the Yak-9T)

and how much the Canon sticks out.

But the different angles make that kind of comparison hard =P.

Maybe 1 and 2 are Yak-9T (cant see the Nose on them)

but the rest look like normal Yak-9s to me =P.

And the Yak-9 with the White 22 has me hopeful.

Since That skin belonged to a Yak-9D irl so it has me hoping it belongs to the Yak-9 and that it has the Modifications to turn it into a 9D.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SCG_Wulfe said:

Because its pretty darn hard to know what power mode you are in, even if you generally know the settings for each. Often you are near the edge of power and blipping into the next highest mode. 

But I can see the argument for removal and the argument to what I just stated is:  just don't fly that close to the upper limit of your power mode. Be conservative. 

That's basically the whole point in my eyes for removing the techchat, no longer will people just jam the throttle and see 89% and know they are safe, you will have to actually read the gauges and make a judgment, which like you said should make people fly a little less on the edge and make everything a little more chaotic. For the longest time the pros just quickly glance and see they are at the limit and good to go, no need to actually check the cockpit at all. There was a massive thread a while back begging for this option, so glad to finally see it getting implemented.

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Upvote 7

Posted (edited)

Edited by Plurp

3 minutes ago, MattS said:

I agree with you that just looking at the percentages is silly...in fact I have been using gauges primarily, even with the tech chat enabled.

What I'm going to need to do is figure out for each plane what the legitimate safe spot is to set parameters so that a tiny error in reading the gauge under pressure doesn't put me in the danger countdown zone.  Tech chat has enabled us all to ride the line to the 1% margin but that won't be a smart thing to do without it.

Another thing that is worth looking at is when exactly sound cues kick in for emergency power - that might be another thing to help situational awareness. It would be awesome if that high rev sound perfectly lined up with consumption of the timer but I'll have to test it.

Well just be assured you can definitely use the manifold and RPM gauges to make sure you aren't over the limits. I think it will be cool for people to fly at slightly slower settings, giving that guy who says screw it and pushes it harder an advantage but at the cost of completely blowing the engine. Could be a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

I applaud the Devs,

Once again fantastic work.......

And this "- now tech chat messages are a difficulty option "     you beauties.....

I have to be honest, i never thought it would happen, but i've never been more happy about being wrong!

Time to start learning each planes characteristics and not relying on the messages.

And yes, we'll all probably have to fly a little conservative to start with, rads open and reduced throttle, one eye on the gauges, but isn't that how it would have been?

I just can't wait...

Thank you very much Han, Jason and the guys..

• Upvote 9

I will say certain things like somebody brought up, the a20 not knowing which bomb selector mode you have engaged could be troublesome.

• Upvote 1

Another option that has been requested for a while - now tech chat messages are a difficulty option so the players will be on equal terms in multiplayer.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how this can be egalitarian in multiplayer sessions. Is this really relevant and useful?¬†ūüėē

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

I will say certain things like somebody brought up, the a20 not knowing which bomb selector mode you have engaged could be troublesome.

You could check in the bombsight. But I agree some fine tuning might be good.

• Upvote 1

I should also say man I am glad that this mod exists and can be used whether mods are enabled or not:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Sure, but it's not "egalitarian"

Some controls are only visible with the technochat on, like the trim level on some planes (IL2, Pe-2 etc...), and others like the bomb release intervals, and I forget some of them

If the player doesn't want the technochat, he deactivates it , why penalize all the other players on the server??!!

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Some controls are only visible with the technochat on, like the trim level on some planes (IL2, Pe-2 etc...), and others like the bomb release intervals, and I forget some of them

If the player doesn't want the technochat, he deactivates it , why penalize all the other players on the server??!!

Maybe it could be cool to have a hud like the one we have in Tank crew, where you can see the options in the plane (% of levers, type of engine mode, bomb salvo...)while you press a key. Only when you are pressing the key.

This in the middle of the screen would be cool so people don't exploit that in a server that forces no tech chat. Think of it like you are looking at your gears in the car. 

Edited by LF_Gallahad
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

Why not, but from there to say that this type of option for a whole server is equal...

29 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Russian planes in general had primitive cockpits so they had no trim-level indicators. Some brave pilots even got killed or injured because of that. Also I don't think you could set a bomb release interval in flight in any WW2 plane.

Therefore: I don't think you need technochat (or HUD) to fly any plane in this simulator.

I have mixed feelings about the GPS map though because some barren areas are extremely hard to navigate without it, but I suppose that may be part of the fun for some people, especially those flying bomber missions.

As long as when server set tech chat to ON, game tells me when timer run out or got recharged i dont mined engine mods, game wonts me to slow down i slow down, i just wont that info to clearly be visable like it should be if server set tech chat on. Players who wont to have it off can play on their servers and we dont even need to see each other, i have fun my way they have fun their way, and engine time bombs are thing of past when game tech chat just works properly.

Posted (edited)

It would be desirable to also remove the compass, which is in the left corner of our screens ....

!!  full of realism !!

Edited by Ala13_Antiguo

Posted (edited)

The ships changes for Normandy are good news, as is the whole DD in fact.

Edited by pilotpierre

2 hours ago, mattebubben said:

Can anybody with a keen eye regarding the Yak-9s say which of the Pictures are Yak-9 and which are Yak-9T?

The only tells i know are the Position of the cockpit (Further back on the Yak-9T)

and how much the Canon sticks out.

But the different angles make that kind of comparison hard =P.

Maybe 1 and 2 are Yak-9T (cant see the Nose on them)

but the rest look like normal Yak-9s to me =P.

And the Yak-9 with the White 22 has me hopeful.

Since That skin belonged to a Yak-9D irl so it has me hoping it belongs to the Yak-9 and that it has the Modifications to turn it into a 9D.

1st one is the Yak-9T, the rest are AFAIK of the Yak-9.

• Thanks 1

Well this is news to me. I wasn't really aware that such things as "technochat" and "engine timers" existed before now. I just decluttered my screen completely and got rid of all the redundant text messages etc., in the basic settings menu from day one, including that stupid compass arrow thing. The planes have all the gauges that you need to fly them, so why would anyone bother with 21st century text overlays in a 1940s cockpit anyway? Technochat sounds like a cheat option to me if and others have been using it to gain an unfair advantage in certain situations that strikes me as lazy and unscrupulous behaviour on their part.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Vortice said:

Well this is news to me. I wasn't really aware that such things as "technochat" and "engine timers" existed before now. I just decluttered my screen completely and got rid of all the redundant text messages etc., in the basic settings menu from day one, including that stupid compass arrow thing. The planes have all the gauges that you need to fly them, so why would anyone bother with 21st century text overlays in a 1940s cockpit anyway? Technochat sounds like a cheat option to me if and others have been using it to gain an unfair advantage in certain situations that strikes me as lazy and unscrupulous behaviour on their part.

I appologise if i ever shoot you down online as i was using tech chat for sure, but thank game gods well have this as server option in few weeks and we can never meet online again as without tech chat its imposible to play online for some and we can only dream to be as blesed as players like you.

5 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Interesting, I never knew using, or not, the techchat was an issue.

Neither did I. I expect it will make it significantly harder for less experienced players to transition to expert servers. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for a good newsūüėč

Some people seem worried about the pervcieved loss of technochat - As stated in the DD.. It is OPTIONAL BY THE SERVER HOST. If you don't like flying on a more realism based server, vote with your attendance and choose to play on the more arcade servers. It's as easy as that. 

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

I think deactivating the technochat can be unrealistic.  While I'm ok with eliminating the power/prop settings %s, I think that the trim notifications, and many other messages that signal positive confirmation of pilot inputs provide feedback that the real aircraft would to the pilot, that we lack in sim.  Further, critical messages - like engine overheat - tell us things that a pilot would be getting visceral feedback on.  Engine noise, vibration, peripheral vision, hell maybe even cockpit temperature, etc...  all combine to tell you your engine has an issue.  It isn't as cut and dried as 'keep your eyes on your instruments and be conservative.'  I think that providing players with just enough easy to ingest info to fly their planes realistically while maintaining as much eyes outside cockpit time as possible is a good compromise, well integrated, and vital to the sim.  I suspect that plenty of hard-core grogs will love the lack of techno chat, and they will laugh and scoff at the less proficient who lawn dart their planes.  But it will form just another barrier to entry into multiplayer for the newb, and actually detract from the overall realism of the sim.  I hope that some of the multiplayer server managers will agree with me and will take the option to keep this feature.

Edited by ACG_PanzerV
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

I wonder which servers will allow me to use techchat. I hope the ones which have nice missions like CB, Knights and the Finnish Server will leave it on.

4 minutes ago, [N.O.G.F]Leon_Portier said:

I wonder which servers will allow me to use techchat. I hope the ones which have nice missions like CB, Knights and the Finnish Server will leave it on.

Talon (CB admin) said they most probably will leave Techno chat on. Can¬īt speak for the other two. I even doubt Taw will enable it , at least not initially.

• Thanks 1

I hope some day grass distance will be server option too, or zero distance will be prohibited in cfg file.

Don't get the fuzz about technochat.

It's a major realism factor and should be controllable by the server. There are enough clues to get from your aircraft, just get used to them. Initally there was no technochat at all and it was not a problem.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, 216th_Jordan said:

It's a major realism factor and should be controllable by the server. 

No one is arguing with that.  The problem is that lots of people don't want their favorite server to shut it off.    

2 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No one is arguing with that.  The problem is that lots of people don't want their favorite server to shut it off.    

Yep, and they need to take that up with the server owners or move servers. It's not worth belly aching to the devs about. I think giving the end user and server owners more options is great. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

It's not worth belly aching to the devs about.

No one appears to be doing that.  Like I said, they just appear to be worried that their favorite server is going to shut off tech chat.  

12 minutes ago, BraveSirRobin said:

No one appears to be doing that.  Like I said, they just appear to be worried that their favorite server is going to shut off tech chat.  

If this was any other thread, I'd agree - but due to being the 'Developers Diary Discussion' - I perceive it as belly aching at the devs. 

If this was any other thread, I'd agree - but due to being the 'Developers Diary Discussion' - I perceive it as belly aching at the devs. 

Maybe you should read what they actually posted instead.

Just now, BraveSirRobin said:

Maybe you should read what they actually posted instead.

That means reading! I prefer glossing over and forming half baked opinions ;) 

That means reading! I prefer glossing over and forming half baked opinions ;) 

Normally I'd be in favor of that, but in this case it appears to have led you astray.   

Nah, I still see it as belly aching by a select minority - and the vast majority being infavor. Just my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, [CPT]HawkeyeP said:

Nah, I still see it as belly aching by a select minority - and the vast majority being infavor. Just my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

Sure, if you ignore what they actually posted you can believe that it's anything that you want.  But if you read the actual posts it's quite clearly people who don't want their favorite server to implement this change. 

Whether or not it's a minority will become a lot clearer when engines start grenading if some popular servers turn this on.

Edited by BraveSirRobin
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)

I literary am amazed what cause problems. I never given this a thought. 
I switch off chat in some servers because of all the gossip. I have techchat open occasionally but forget to look at it and turn it off. Never bothered me a little bit what other use. It is a game. No one but yourself give a damn about your killratio and stats. It suppose to be fun
to me it simply ruin the flight experience. 
Now it is server option. What is the problem with that? Choose a server that got it if you like it. 

Edited by 216th_LuseKofte
  • Upvote 6