Sign in to follow this  
=RS=Funkie

UVW Unwrapped 3D Models to aid in texture creation

I just started looking into custom texturing for IL2.
I was expecting that we would have a series of templates. (Which I found links to)
But I was also expecting that we would be given some 3d models for painting directly onto.

Is this something that has been requested? Or any reason why its not possible. I tried searching, but perhaps my search terms weren't correct.

To be clear, it doesn't have to be the highest polycount version of their in-game planes (in case they're concerned with people sharing their models around),  if it was an export of a lower LoD model, it would still be mapped well enough to assist with lining up panels etc without having to save, load in viewer, then go back, nudge and repeat.

It would also open up a lot of options with software like Substance Painter, with their smart materials and physics based painting etc, and creation of alternative normal maps.

Anyway, just curious.

It's long been a hope of mine that there would be a paint shop of sorts in game for all the reasons you've listed. It would simplify skinning and likely make it more appealing to so many others. If it were possible to add a paint option to the skin viewer already that is a part of this series, it would be a worth a separate purchase like a premium plane is now.

It would be nice to have their 3D assets for all the reasons you listed, especially Substance Designer and Painter. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:06 AM, PhunkaeG said:

I just started looking into custom texturing for IL2.
I was expecting that we would have a series of templates. (Which I found links to)
But I was also expecting that we would be given some 3d models for painting directly onto.

Is this something that has been requested? Or any reason why its not possible. I tried searching, but perhaps my search terms weren't correct.

To be clear, it doesn't have to be the highest polycount version of their in-game planes (in case they're concerned with people sharing their models around),  if it was an export of a lower LoD model, it would still be mapped well enough to assist with lining up panels etc without having to save, load in viewer, then go back, nudge and repeat.

It would also open up a lot of options with software like Substance Painter, with their smart materials and physics based painting etc, and creation of alternative normal maps.

Anyway, just curious.

HiHo PhunkaeG,

you are asking a very justified question.

Being a great fan of flight simulations and a dedicated modeler as well, one of my first actions in the good old days of Red Baron 3D was to create personal skins because it was quite easy and the results looked quite good for that time. And therefore, it was fun.

In Great battles things are a bit different.

The graphical quality of a good skin is of another world but I found creating a skin to be a complicated, error-prone,  time consuming, and annoying process.

So, the guys & girls able to go through that and donating these pieces of art to the community are my heroes.

However, I'm not that heroic, since creating skins with the tools at hand is not fun at all.

So, to come back to your question, it's surprising that it wasn't asked much earlier.

It should be possible to create a tool that can you can use like a model builder. It should work basically like a CAD program where you have already a complete 3D model of an airplane and than you can pick, move, and rotate any part or goup of parts and paint them like you want, including surface textures. 

That's bacially what a model builder does when he paints his models.

Actually, one could use a CAD program to do this if the 3D-models were in a common CAD-format like AutoCAD. The tricky part would then be to transfer the painted 3D model into a DDS which is ready to use.

This completeley eliminates the annoying process of painting in 2D and with little idea how this will look in 3D.

Having such a tool would surely give the painter's community a tremendous kick.

And to pay for such a fantastic tool is at least for me not a problem at all.

best regards

eastriverman

• Like 1

I am very happy to find someone asking the same question as me.
But what makes people despair is that there seems to be no solution to this problem.