LizLemon

[MOD] Vulkan

1375966738_vulkanbos.thumb.jpg.a9310a70e13a314c420a2511cf7d2a61.jpg

This is using DXVK to make the game use Vulkan instead of DX11 - https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

How much this improves performance, if any, will greatly depend on your system. You might see no difference, a reduction in FPS, or an improvement. On my system the average and max FPS go up a bit, but minimum framerate sees a nice bump and the overall framepacing is more consistent. This may work better with AMD GPUs, and may work better with lower end CPUs. It also might break a ton of stuff I haven't noticed yet.

INSTALL;

Drag the bin folder inside the zip into the root install folder, ie "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad"

UNINSTALL: 

Delete "d3d11.dll" and "dxgi.dll" in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\IL-2 Sturmovik Battle of Stalingrad\bin\game"

This IS NOT compatible with 3dmigoto.

Vulkan.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 10

Posted (edited)

:o: 

Didn’t know that was possible. I will try it out. Thanks Liz!

Edited by rowdyb00t

Vulkan Is the future over DX, every developer should pick that path because it's SO independent and not MS propietary crap

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

it's SO independent and not MS propietary crap

And an extra like for this one! :):thank_you:

Hope this works nicely with the deferred shader coming in 3 weeks! 

This is interesting to say the least. :popcorm:

ooooo0ooooo0oooo!

ill try this tomorrow! excellent!

ive started Twitch streaming il2 so any extra frames are a boon!

Is this Linux only or does it work with Win7?

Seems like it doesn't support AMD CrossFire

6 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Is this Linux only or does it work with Win7?

It works with Windows 7. If you're using AMD GPU, make sure Radeon version is at least 19.3

• Upvote 1

Could crash your game,I used it in another game and it crashed I had to reinstall the game,I am not saying it will not work in great battles,but I would like to hear a lot people experience,even before I would try it

I've tried it this morning and performance in the game is much worse. There are lots of microstutters. I've got windows 10, nvidia 2080su and i9 9900k. I deleted the two files and all is working well now.

Posted (edited)

S!

After a quick test on Moscow map I got a solid framerate of 116fps at all times. I have it capped by nVidia Control Panel to 117fps, 3 below my screen´´s refreshrate. How do you get the overlay showing?

Tested a dogfight, no problems at all. Found one thing that works worse than DirectX: dust/smoke in external view. For example when on ground and plane kicks up dust the FPS drops quite a bit. Or when looking from external view and shooting with the Fw190A-8 all guns, the smoke tanks FPS. Inside cockpit no problems at all, at least in the air.

More testing. Definitely the dust from ground and gun smoke causing FPS to tank pretty hard. Otherwise no issues at all, framerates very smooth and no graphical issues.

Edited by LLv34_Flanker
Added more info

S!

Placebo or not, but except the dust/smoke issue the mod ran exceptionaly well. NO stutters at all except a short pause here and there when game loads textures or whatever. Could do more testing on various settings in game have any effect to the better or worse. Was worth testing..

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Tested a dogfight, no problems at all. Found one thing that works worse than DirectX: dust/smoke in external view. For example when on ground and plane kicks up dust the FPS drops quite a bit. Or when looking from external view and shooting with the Fw190A-8 all guns, the smoke tanks FPS. Inside cockpit no problems at all, at least in the air.

Did some vulkanism with vanilla x-plane already, good experience! So no question to try it here, too:

Deactivated reshade and used "in-game" settings for 2xAA (plus 2xmultisample via Nvidia CP) and sharpen against blurred landscape. Maybe a bit less visibility, now I believe to see them at 4.5 km and no longer at 5 - that kind of exact science. But I very much like the contours of the contacts from 1 to 3 km - crisp and sharp!

Performance is as good as before, sometimes 5 - 10 % better, maybe. BUT with some micro-stutter every 10 sec or so. Not strong, not that bad, but visible - that kind we got rid of a few updates ago. Can confirm problems with dust / trailing fuel plume after hits - FPS going  down from 100 fps to 70 or even 50. FPS-loss because of fuel plumes and stuttering is bit too much for me - but in any other aspect and given it was not optimized - wow, well done!

(4.3 GHz I5 2500k with 16 GB, 1060 6GB, Dell 1440p 144 Hz)

Edited by Retnek

@LLv34_Flanker,

1 hour ago, LLv34_Flanker said:

Exactly my observation too.

I couldn't get the Reshade working though and that is too bad.

Anyway, it is good to have some competition for directX

Is this compatible with VR,specifically Pimax5K ?

1 hour ago, Blitzen said:

Is this compatible with VR,specifically Pimax5K ?

Try it and see. Seems steamVR may not work, but Oculus might (Oculus has had Vulkan support for about 2 years). Opencomposite for Oculus users may be the best bet.

For other headset brands I'm not sure.

Posted (edited)

Doesn't seem to work with my Pimax/Pitool  VR setup. VR dual image shows up on my monitor but not in the headset.removing the files gets VR going again...sigh...😗

Edited by Blitzen
added text

2 hours ago, Retnek said:

Did some vulkanism with vanilla x-plane already, good experience! So no question to try it here, too:

Deactivated reshade and used "in-game" settings for 2xAA (plus 2xmultisample via Nvidia CP) and sharpen against blurred landscape. Maybe a bit less visibility, now I believe to see them at 4.5 km and no longer at 5 - that kind of exact science. But I very much like the contours of the contacts from 1 to 3 km - crisp and sharp!

Performance is as good as before, sometimes 5 - 10 % better, maybe. BUT with some micro-stutter every 10 sec or so. Not strong, not that bad, but visible - that kind we got rid of a few updates ago. Can confirm problems with dust / trailing fuel plume after hits - FPS going  down from 100 fps to 70 or even 50. FPS-loss because of fuel plumes and stuttering is bit too much for me - but in any other aspect and given it was not optimized - wow, well done!

(4.3 GHz I5 2500k with 16 GB, 1060 6GB, Dell 1440p 144 Hz)

Could it be the CPU going into power-save mode?

10 hours ago, OpticFlow said:

Could it be the CPU going into power-save mode?

Good hint, thx! Don't think so, I use SAS_Storebrors nifty tool "FUMS"  to set Win-10 into "maximum performance" as soon as the exe of IL2-GB is starting. But you're right, no problem to repeat it after a fresh reboot without and with Vulkan. I'll let you know.

S! 

Did some more testing with the mod. Seems that the mod gives a very welcome smooth framerate, but has issues with certain effects. These are: dust while rolling/crashing, gun smoke, leak effects(with lesser effect) and clouds. Bomb explosions/effects have no effect I could tell. 

Will do some more testing to see if anything else really changes. Offline of course. Always vanilla game if going online. 

Did some further testing - quick mission, 2x4 fighters vs 2x4, Moscow-map with medium clouds. Freshly re-booted PC, no further software active - a proper test-bed. Results are consistent with my and others observations cited above. With Vulkan active:

- 5 -10 % more fps from inside the cockpit, smooth and a crisp picture. From 85 - 90 to around 95 FPS

- just by looking at the FPS-display FPS seem more constant with Vulkan, too

- still minor microstutters - mostly when other planes passing near-by

Quite different picture when looking from outside the plane (F2) and some coolant- and / or fuel-fumes are visible. Exhaust-fumes are lowering FPS, too, but to a much lesser extent. External with Vulkan:

- intact plane against plain ground and plain sky FPS sometimes better than DX, up  15 % or > 130 FPS.

- intact plane against horizon, sometimes woods or cities 10 -30 % less FPS (seems to depend on view-angle)

- as soon as fumes are nearby FPS sometimes go down 50 % ( to 70 or even 50 FPS)

- follow my plane from behind while trailing water and fuel will bring FPS down to 25 sometimes

- everything is fine as soon as I change perspective away from fume/horizon or switch into cockpit

(4.3 GHz I5 2500k with 16 GB, 1060 6GB, Dell 1440p 144 Hz - same setting as given above)

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 6:51 AM, Sakivano said:

I've tried it this morning and performance in the game is much worse. There are lots of microstutters. I've got windows 10, nvidia 2080su and i9 9900k. I deleted the two files and all is working well now.

Have you checked the log.txt file in the game folders?  I had a lot of missing textures. It gets new list every startup of the game. I reinstalled the game and first test ran smooth.  There is still one texture missing even in the brand new install.    But hoping to put in a dummy file for that one.  

23 hours ago, JG_deserteagle540 said:

I couldn't get the Reshade working though and that is too bad.

No problem with reshade here, it's doing fine. Can't see much difference in performance and quality, too.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

no works with my Oculus Rift S + opencomposite dll :((((((((((((((((((((((((

with SteamVR double picture of game only on monitor,but in HMD steamVR dome :(((

Edited by huligan

S! 

Well, it is a wrapper after all. But gives a hint that Vulkan would offer better performance than DX. 

Posted (edited)

i tried it, did not get noticeable performance increase, actually caused some stuttering at times.

Tried with and with out reshade(v4.5.2) ,in both cases worked but same result.

Could be a problem maybe with my MSI afterburner software (did not test without that running), it was showing vulkan was running ok, so i know it was active.

Usually stuttering is a software conflict/issue somewhere...

(my specs are below)

I did not play around with it enough to fully test it.

1802570924_Il-22020-05-1318-08-43.thumb.jpg.d963eea67c0c4b4bbe13a86fb39fb49e.jpg

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Posted (edited)

@Retnek Hello, I have my Setup similar to yours just by changing the Processor. I7 2700k. Do you recommend using it? Are you currently using?

I'm starting with BOS now. You can also help me with the configuration of Reshade, I have a lot of difficulty and spotting if dots.

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by =ABr=BR_Paco

2 hours ago, =ABr=BR_Paco said:

@Retnek Hello, I have my Setup similar to yours just by changing the Processor. I7 2700k. Do you recommend using it? Are you currently using?

No problem at all - you're good for 100 FPS online at least. My settings are here:

and here

If your impression of the landscape should remain somewhat natural do not expect to detect contacts much above 5 km distance. Even less when looking down against the ground. With some advanced sharpening you add one km or so distance, depends on your taste.

If you stay with a more or less natural impression, there's no real need for reshade. You can go with 2x AA (enhanced via Nvidia CP), blurred landscape and in-game-sharpen. For a beginner I'd say the impact of training yourself to scan the sky systematically and adapt to the conditions of this simulator is important. Trying to enhance detection distance by graphics settings might earn a few hundred meters. Nice, too, but less efficient.

Check out this guide.

Very good description of settings and effects. Results still depend much on your hardware and taste, but at least you have a reference what the setting might be good for.

• Thanks 1

This appears to fix the AMD RX corruption associated with the 4.006 update. Also, using FXAA rather than MSAA has resulted in much better performance, as I was looking at an almost -10 FPS deficit with DXVK when FXAA wasn't an option.

Oculus nope doesn t even let you start

On 5/10/2020 at 11:15 PM, SJ_Butcher said:

Vulkan Is the future over DX, every developer should pick that path because it's SO independent and not MS propietary crap

Is it future, but with 60% of fps when I compare it with DirectX

15 hours ago, GOZR said:

Oculus nope doesn t even let you start

My game won´t even launch in 2D with this, so have you tried out whether the game starts at all without VR?