Sign in to follow this  
NO.20_W_M_Thomson

Poor mans VR

I've been trying out a simple VR with my cell phone, Now this is in no way a comparison to any top brand VR headsets, just a cheap way to try it out and seeing if you like VR or not.

There's a program called Riftcat  that turns your cell into VR, it has a free version to test it out, cost $15.00 for full version. you also need a cheap head set that you can get at Walmart for 20 buck, of course you need a cell, I used a A20 Samsung. There is better phones that come with 4k now. you also need steamVR which is free but you don't need the steam version of FC. You also need a half decent video card like a 1070 or better, Mine sucks 1050ti 4 gig. It worked but not great. So if you have all this plus maybe a i5 processor or better it should work for you with out spending a ton of money and find out you don't like it. But from what I've seen it's not too bad and would be much better if I had the hardware to run it.  Thought I'd pass this along for the ones who didn't know about this. Have fun.

Posted (edited)

Better option, one I did btw, go with your son or daughter to an local arcade hall and use the Rift or Vive and see what you like or dislike. In my case it was not the restricted FOV, the weight etc. but the pixels I could count. 

edit: End of the monitor story, I did test starting from 2009: polarized 3d glasses on an LG 3D-TV incl D3D&tridef, trackIR5, went from 19”->27” monitor, upscaled to 2k, 60 to 75hz, all nice, but since VR, I will never go back to the monitor or TVscreen environment. 

Still think VR is the biggest impact from all the improvements as been published here above, no need for any 8k, Gsync/Freesync2, 255Hz, OLED, 100” ultra-wide curved monitor. 

Edited by Dutch2

I used steam VR desktop and ran Rise of Flight in borderless windowed mode.  Attached my track clip to the headset, and with a little tweaking got to try poor man's VR in RoF.  😊

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NO.20_W_M_Thomson said:

I've been trying out a simple VR with my cell phone, Now this is in no way a comparison to any top brand VR headsets, just a cheap way to try it out and seeing if you like VR or not.

There's a program called Riftcat  that turns your cell into VR, it has a free version to test it out, cost $15.00 for full version. you also need a cheap head set that you can get at Walmart for 20 buck, of course you need a cell, I used a A20 Samsung. There is better phones that come with 4k now. you also need steamVR which is free but you don't need the steam version of FC. You also need a half decent video card like a 1070 or better, Mine sucks 1050ti 4 gig. It worked but not great. So if you have all this plus maybe a i5 processor or better it should work for you with out spending a ton of money and find out you don't like it. But from what I've seen it's not too bad and would be much better if I had the hardware to run it.  Thought I'd pass this along for the ones who didn't know about this. Have fun.

just 3.5 hour drive you can test it all you want bud I will get barf bags for first few flights...….. I love VR I couldn't even fly wargrounds on ROF with glasses my spotting was so poor in VR I don't even need glasses...………...IT'S A MIRACLE

17 minutes ago, NO.20_D_McGoun said:

just 3.5 hour drive you can test it all you want bud I will get barf bags for first few flights...….. I love VR I couldn't even fly wargrounds on ROF with glasses my spotting was so poor in VR I don't even need glasses...………...IT'S A MIRACLE

LOL ok, 3.5 hrs drive and 10 hrs couch locked before I get to use your barf bag . Wish I could buddy wish I could,