GCF

Time for a Skin Makers Conference ?

Time for a Skin Makers Conference ?  

7 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Time for a Skin Makers Voice Conference ?

2. 2. where to hold the voice conference ?

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/10/20 at 08:00 PM

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Adam said:

I think it's a good idea to have aircraft types included in the file name. Here's an example....

There was someone recently who downloaded my Alb/Dr1/Pfalz pack TWICE (meant to DL that PLUS the DVII pack) and installed one pack in the proper folders and another accidentally in the DVII folder. If they weren't named with aircraft type, he would've needed somehow go through them and manually delete them.

😄 Alright that is a fair point, case players do whoopsies. Though such mistakes should not happen with bundles that are in the same folder structure as the graphics/skins folder, where you just dump the bundle into graphics/skins. But I take the point, to save players needing to go through them and determine or delete everything and reinstall every pack should someone make such mistakes.

Edited by Oliver88

Posted (edited)

Totally agree about getting some format to the filenaming so that skin lists are displayed in some sort of alphabetical and logical order. This is applicable to all skins no matter what the simulator is. However the files still need to be dropped into the appropriate simulator directory, it would be too specific to include that sort of information into the skin filename.

I have been trying to go along the lines of a universal sort order. To be easily manipulated by a database there must be a common text separator designated. For me the underscore is most compatible with filenaming and text display. (it must be used solely as a separatror!)  I like the initial sorting of Fictional and non-Fictional, and sorting in order of precedence from there. Something like;

N_se5a_afc_80wing_2sqdn_C5846_pilot_v1-0

N_spitfireIX_raaf_na_457sqdn_Z_pilot_v1-04578

F_bf109f_luft_luftflotte5_JG54_I-6_pilot_v5-7-4

Where;

Z_mmm_fff_www_ggg_aaa_ppp_vvvv

1_2_3_4_5_6_7_8

1. Z : N = Non Fictional, F = Fictional.

2. m : Model name in simulator.

3. f: Faction.

4. w: Upper echelon group. Wing, Luftflotte, etc

5. g: Lower group or squadron.

6. a: Actual aircraft. Serial or code.

7. p: Pilot

8. v: Version. GUID, whatever.

( = na if no designation)

Lucky I saw this thread. I was just about to start processing a batch of skins and was going to use something like; N_se5a_afc_80wing_2sqdn_C5846_pilot_PreMay1918v1-0 etc.

Is there a Discord channel as 18:00 UTC is in a few hours time?

Edited by Taurus
speeling

Do the names really need to be that long? Less is better IMO

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Agreed about being short, but how do you embed category sorting? Plus unfortunately they might fully display properly in the simulator window if they are too long.

Edited by Taurus

Important that there is a sign wether skin is private or for all to fly in MP

17 minutes ago, Taurus said:

Agreed about being short, but how do you embed category sorting? Plus unfortunately they might fully display properly in the simulator window if they are too long.

The question was originally brought up in the WW1 Forum I think. Not a lot is needed. Z for personal aircraft then, Type, Squadron and pilot name. Historical aircraft; just omit the Z.

Example:

Personal skin

Z_FD7_J64_Lennon

Historical skin

FD7_J16_Monnington

Now, if you are referring to WW2 then I'm sure it would be longer for reason but I don't know what the convention should be. 

• Upvote 3

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/timezone/utc , the meeting is in about 8 hours from now. does it have to be held on team speak, i do not have a team speak server. i have a discord room we can use or can someone recommend a TS room we can use ?

i personaly think a common, naming system is the answer to many problems with skins, if they have a z prefix then they could be updated quickly as people can see  if it is flyable or personal, so is instantly ready for use. if we could get a new common naming system, that can be used from here on out, the skins that where produced before change would not have to be changed.

Posted (edited)

Hey, Paul. Sorry but I’m unable to make the meeting today. I completely forgot that I had to go help out my father move some items. I would love to follow up with your discussions tomorrow if that’s possible.  Discord is perfect. Let me know. Thanks!

Edited by the_dudeWG

22 hours ago, the_dudeWG said:

Hey, Paul. Sorry but I’m unable to make the meeting today. I completely forgot that I had to go help out my father move some items. I would love to follow up with your discussions tomorrow if that’s possible.  Discord is perfect. Let me know. Thanks!

hi mate sure, got really good ideas, yesterday but always open to more ill be on discord on the address above, we can have a chat anytime, just let me know what time is good for you ?

How about around the same time as yesterday? 18:00 UTC - I’ll check your Discord channel around that time. S!

okay ill be there S!

Please let us know what was decided... My skins are such a mess I'm about to delete 'em all and start over.

• Upvote 2

Apologies I missed this! Ironically, I was so caught up in working on the 3rd P.G's skins that I missed the skin conference. D'oh! 

hi sorry been struggling a bit the last few days, will give a full info in the next two days, sorry for delay

• Sad 1

S! All !

the major outcome of the meeting was , and i agree ,the skin situation in Flying Circus is a mess, and can not be fixed with the present bundle system.

the three major areas that a new system has to address is, a quick and reliable system of keeping skins up to date with new skins and modifications to old skins. A way of everyone knowing what skins they can use to fly or that are personal skins, and last to give people an idea what skin it is.

Complex problem, but there is a solution, but it all revolves around getting an agreed upon skin naming system.

All historical skins would have all info of the plane starting with the plane model prefix, AD5, FDR1, FD7, FD7F, PD3a, HCL2, HCL2au, SC, S13, SD, SE5, BF2BF2, BF2BF3.

next the Jasta or Squadron, then pilots name if knows, if not then just unknown,  then anything you want to add like date of plane ect. and finally the skin creator name.

so all historical skins look like the following :

AD5_J11_Richthofen_DEC17_the_dude

Personal skins for Squadrons can be names how the squadron wants, but needs a "Z" prefix to indicate they are not to be flown.

Personal skins that are not also a squadron skin should have a "ZZZ" prefix.

Fantacy flyable skins should have a "Y" prefix.

Flyable Post WW1 and WW1 aircraft from nations not involved in ww1, use a "X" prefix.

if skin creators would use this system, it would mean that the skin is ready to use, as soon as it is made. i do not expect skin creators to have to go back in history and change all the names of skins to this format, if excepted by the community, i can do all the work of bringing the names up to the new naming system and will send the skin creator there renamed old skins. if this system is excepted, and new skins follow this naming system, i can  post skins almost immediately on a weekly basis.

i know this is a lot to ask but the FC Skin system needs to change i think we can all agree on that.

This is only my suggestion, any others that will work are welcome. ill put my suggestion to a vote above.

thanks all 

S!

stay safe

paul

• Upvote 1